Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee

Comments

• dancermandancerman Posts: 220
    Check with local parts store first. I'll bet Advance Auto can get these. Check their online store for correct part and then call your local store. NAPA is also good with brake parts. Good luck and glad you found the problem.
  • mullins87mullins87 Posts: 959
    DOH!!!!!(As Homer Simpson slaps his forehead)

I hate it when that happens. We've all been there in some form or fashion. I'm glad you found the problem and it was nothing major.
  • cwspeakscwspeaks Posts: 1
    All:

My 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee (2WD) has started idling VERY high on random starts. Anywhere between 2000 and 2500 RPM for about 10 seconds.

Goodyear and a Dodge/Chrysler dealership have hookup up the computers and can find nothing wrong. Chrysler tech conferred with a Jeep Service Dept manager (a 5-star dealership) and was told this is common in "older" Jeep models and is normal.

1. I just don't buy the fact that an 02 Jeep is old enough for the computer to start making the idle race like that.
    2. This could not be a NORMAL function of the car.

I believe the computer diags are saying there's no problem but obviously SOMETHING is off.

For his part the Jeep Service guy told our Dodge/Chrysler service tech that one could replace all kinds of Idle Airs etc and it would only make a marginal impact on the symptoms for the dollars lost.

Anyone have experience with this type of symptoms? Suggestions and input from you all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chuck
  • robertm7robertm7 Posts: 2
    I am trying to locate the oxygen sensor for my 2001 Cherokee Sport 4x4. Can someone tell me how many there are and the location
    First thing I would check is a vacuum leak. My '95 Wrangler likes to pull the brake booster line off when I'm offroading. When that happens, it will idle around 2k rpms. In your case, it sounds like it could be an intermittant leak. Crank it up and wiggle the vacuum lines around and see what happens.

Second thing would be too make sure the throttle plate is returning to its fully closed position everytime. If you've got a lot of carbon buildup inside the throttle body, it's entirely possible the throttle plate isn't returning to it's idle position when you take your foot off the accelerator. Corrosion on the return spring or other parts of the throttle body/throttle cable could also be the culprit. Also, check to make sure the cruise control and transmission kick-down cables move freely. They could be binding up at random intervals.

Third thing is the Idle Air Control motor/valve. It's located on the side of the throttle body facing the engine block. If you're standing in front of the Jeep looking at the throttle body, the IAC valve will be at the 9:00 position, the Throttle Position Sensor will be at the 12:00 position and the Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor will be at the 3:00 position. Take the IAC valve off and clean it with an approved cleaner.

Keep us posted.
    Well, you have four (4) of them. The catalytic convertors, yes there are two (2) of them, are positioned on the exhaust manifold. The first convertor serves cylinders #1-3 while the second serves cylinders #4-6. Each convertor has two O2 sensors, one before and one after.

You probably won't be able to see them from up top. So slide under the Jeep and look up at the drivers side of the engine. Look for two metal canisters about the size of a coffee can. The two lower O2 sensors are really easy to get at, the two upper ones could be a little more challenging.
  • I am having the exact same problem with my 98 Cherokee. I received the same SCAN tool code (P0135 - O2 Sensor malfunction). I was about to change both of them, and then I read your message. I was wondering if you had any luck fixing it since you posted your message. Any help you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  • hi everyone. i'm new on here, and clueless when it comes to cars. I know... awful. anyway, i was wondering if someone could help me out here. the other night i turned on my lights and they flickered a bit but stayed on. as i was driving home they kept cutting out and i had to push in the headlight switch a little bit to keep them on. then about halfway down my street they went out. now they won't turn on at all. the fog lights work, but not the headlights. also my highbeams won't stay on. i basically have to drive holding the light switch. please help me out, i tend to work nights and i'm stuck on this one. i checked my fuses and all is fine with them. thanks!
  • dbraswelldbraswell Posts: 1
    I own a 2004 jeep grande cherokee. I appear to have a bad TPS. do you know if this is covered under the powertrain warranty?
  • maggielmaggiel Posts: 2
    I'm wondering if anyone could help me solve this problem. I have a 1990 Jeep Cherokee. It runs beautifully and likes the cold weather. However, it seems to need some work now due to wear and tear. It started making a clanking noise whenever I made a sharp turn to the right about a year ago. After several repairs to fix this problem with three mechanics, including the replacement of ball bearings and u joints, the noise is still there, and suddenly now on the left side. In fact, the noise shifted once in a while, from left to right and vice versa. After the last repair, the noise continued on the right side for a few days, only to shift to the left. The repairs, according to the mechanic were only to the right side, but when I left the garage, the noise was still the same on the right, and now shifted to the left. I'm wondering if it's something else, but mechanics just keep repairing something they assume is making the noise.

The last repair (the replacement of u joints and right side ball bearings) cost me $1,100 cdn, and now I'm back to square one. I'm wondering if anyone here knows a good mechanic in Toronto (Ontario, Canada) who knows Jeeps inside and out. Also would I have recourse in court for a job done to repair something that didn't need repair, although the mechanic may claim the parts needed replacement. I would assume many parts of my old jeep will need to be replaced eventually, but if I do not request the change, then why would mechanics assume I would have to pay for their mistake?

Anyway, what other parts make a clanking noise when the wheels are turned?
    You switch has gone bad. It's not the switch on the dashboard, but the one that switches the headlights from low to high beam. It's mounted on the side of the steering column under the dash. I'm sorry that I can't tell you exactly where. If you lay down in the floorboard and look up under the dash, work the level and also listen for a clicking sound. Once you find that, you have found the switch. Fairly cheap and easy part to replace.

In you post, however, you didn't say WHICH switch you had to hold.
    I wish you all the luck since I can't recommend a mechanic for you. This is one of those things I'd have to check out for myself.
  • thepdmmthepdmm Posts: 82
    My lower radiator tube was leaking from what looked like the lower end were the tube meets the water pump.. now I replaced the tube and it still seems to leak (when the engine shuts down and pressure builds). I am pretty sure I clammed down the screw clamp pretty tight (but I am not saying it can't be tighter) but before I clamp it down tighter, is there any known problems with the receiving end of that seal cracking? could I needlessly be tightening this hose clamp?

any suggestions and comments are asked. please!.
    It's most likely the pump seal that's leaking and not the hose.
  • atolo28atolo28 Posts: 1
    My driver side speaker is no longer working. I took it to Best Buy and they told me that this is a very common problem for jeep cherokee owners. They told me that the wiring need to be replaced and they said that this problem can also lead to problems with my automatic windows. Which in my case me back-seat passenger side window does not roll down from my driver side control panel. Does anyone have any idea what I should do or has anyone else had this kind of problem before.
    I don't think I'd trust Best Buy when it comes to diagnosis of your problem. It's not difficult to remove the door panel and investigate the speaker. Maybe a wire came loose. While you are in there you can also test the window switch. If you not able to do this yourself... take it to a Jeep dealer for qualified repair.
    Yep, the speaker in my driver door has quit as well. If I open the door and wiggle the wiring tube, it kinda looks like an accordian, the speaker will cut in and out. I bet your window problem is the same.

BTW: I have an '01.
  • i had a similar issue and it turned out that the problem wasnt in the steering at all but in the brake pads. something about them being composed of too much metal?? just a suggestion bc the pads rub the calipers differently when you're turning.
  • jolyshjolysh Posts: 1
    Sometimes my right blinker blinks very fast. I've read that this could be because the wrong bulb is being used. But sometimes it blinks normally, and sometimes, while the blinker is on for the duration of a right turn, it blinks fast, then normal, then fast, etc. Is very annoying. Could this still be due to a wrong sized bulb? Your help is appreciated.
    Could be the wrong bulb. But I'm thinking you probably have a short. Blinkers work off resistance. If you have the wrong bulb, or burnt out bulb, the resistance in the circuit changes causing the blinker to change speed. Since it doesn't blink at the same rate all the time, look for a loose bulb or grounding wire. I have the same problem with the turn signals on my Gator at work.