Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Sentra Spec V vs Honda Civic Si

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Tell me about it.

While we're talking about the Nissan that debuted several years ago, why not compare the 93 Civic to the 93 Sentra. That'd be as productive as talking about any other old models (lots of new information always flowing in - NOT).

:)
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    you are totally right; it was more than just awd.

the fusion has an interesting interior and they chose the blandest versions of the accord and camry they could find. (why not a nice camry se? or a nice v-6 accord?)

the rest is personal opinion and does not make the fusion better than the other two, its just preference.

i know many who would not be caught dead in a fusion especially when a nice accord is the other choice.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    good post grad. and entertaining as always. ;)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Did I take a wrong turn on the way to the Spec V vs Si discussion? :sick:
  • thenebeanthenebean Posts: 1,124
    i love my spec V!!!

(does that help pat?) ;)

-thene :P
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Haha, yes thank you, I feel much better! :D
  • sstrangeesstrangee Posts: 2
    I usually don't put my 2-cents in on these types of discussions cause both cars are capable of being tuned and tricked and everyone is entitled to the car they enjoy driving.

But, I bought BOTH cars on the same day. I bought the 2007 Nissan Spec V for me and my wife bought the 2007 Honda Si. I've driven both cars (stock) several times.

Now, we're talking stock here, so...

I felt that the Spec V performs better overall. Driving the Spec V for the first time made me feel like the car wanted me to push it. The car cornered and braked with ease and did it smoothly. The interior is roomy and everything is "right there" in front of you.

I also drive the Si (this isn't MY daily driver). The first thing that I noticed, the first time I drove it, is that the dashboard feels like it's all the way up at the windshield. I felt like I was looking down a tunnel to see the speedometer. Another thing is the Si comes with the Titanium shifter. I touched that thing and almost burnt my hand off (the car was sitting in the sun all day and it was 110 that day and it takes forever for that thing to cool down -- so have a driving glove handy). Anyway, I felt the Si (although quick) was a little sluggish off the line, but handled just as smoothly as the Spec V in the cornering department.

Overall, for me it came down to looks and that little extra "umph" the Spec V has. But, I like the look of the Spec V over the Si. The Si still has the "Civic" look which is a total turn off for me.

Now, the main advantage that the Honda has over the Nissan is the warranty. The Honda's warranty is by far hands down, far superior than Nissan's. And this was a deciding factor for my wife to take the Si over us buying another Spec V.

Thanks.
    thanks for the review sstrangee!

i've been out of the biz for a bit, but i remember nissan having a 3yr 36k mile bumper to bumper, and 5yr 60k powertrain. what does honda have?

-thene :)
  • sivicmansivicman Posts: 32
    Did anyone see the comparison test in the August '07 Motor Trend magazine? The Civic Si came out on top.
  • my 2007 civic si has a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty

the spec-v is fun to drive, and i would take the Spec over the Si sedan, but i prefer a coupe, and think the Si coupe looks way better than the spec-v in my opinion. I prefer the interior of the si and the handeling, not to mention the high revving. The placement of the speedometer is perfect for me, being 6'1..
    Glad they put the limited slip differential in the spec-v like the 07 has.

There is something i can certainly agree with, the older civics with those coffee can mufflers dont really go anywhere, and sound like an old rusty chain saw or weed wacker.
    thanks for the review sstrangee!

i've been out of the biz for a bit, but i remember nissan having a 3yr 36k mile bumper to bumper, and 5yr 60k powertrain. what does honda have?

-thene

Honda's standard warranty is 3/36 B2B, 5/60 Powertrain.
    so its the same then? i dont remember who it was, but someone a bit further back here mentioned that honda's warranty was better, but i couldn't figure out why?

thanks thegrad for the info!

-thene :)
  • iomaticiomatic Posts: 48
    Nice review. Thanks, but I'll still keep my Si. :)

Let's now wait for james to come out and extrapolate how much better... the '92 Spec V is than the Si.... and end his post with "Spec V Better. Nuff said."

yeesh..
    Just some supplemental Honda warranty info, to back up my statement (for those interested). The link is to Honda's website - warranty page.

Honda Warranty Information

And, you're quite welcome thene!
  • sstrangeesstrangee Posts: 2
    Yes, I forgot to mention that the versions that I bought are the Sedan versions.

I use to own a 2005 Mini Cooper S and just wasn't practical for me to drive with 2 kids. So I started looking for something that still had that "zippy" feeling but could haul around 2 kids and a wife.

So, after test driving a ton of cars in all price ranges (the most expensive I tested was the 2007 G35 loaded and the cheapest was the 2007 Honda Fit), I decided to go with the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V for the reasons in my previous post (and the cabin room that it provided).

But, like I said, it really comes down to which car you enjoy driving. My wife loves her Si and I love my Spec V.

Almost everyone has asked if we have raced yet. And the answer is no. My wife is very strict on the don't drive it hard for 500 miles rule (I'm not... lol). So we'll see in a few weeks I guess. :)
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    my 2007 civic si has a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty

2007 Civic has 3 year 36,000 mile bumper to bumper and 5 years 60,000 miles powertrain, same as 2007 Sentra.

What is different about your Civic that the warranty is longer?
  • If you want to see a very good comparison, look at Motortrends new issue, they put the Si head to head with the spec V. Si comes out ahead :) and i definitely agree.
  • i got the extended warranty. the dealership sometimes will try n get you to pay like 2300-2500 for it. dont pay that though, I was able to find out from a friend how much the dealership pays for em and got that price.
  • I have been laughing over your comments reading them. Comparing a 2004 Sentra SER Spec V to a 2007 Civic Si is crazy. The SI is faster, better handling period. End of disussion. Not even close. It would be a cake walk. :P
  • I think motor trends comparison of the 2007 civic Si vs the 07 sentra spec-V is very good comparing the qualitys of each car.
    About cat-back systems in your car though... i somehow doubt youd really gain much power if any out of it.. All the restrictions are in the catalytic converter, so putting bigger piping behind it isnt going to do much when its restricted right before it. and in many cases youll actually lose a couple hp in lower to midrange power but maybe gain a couple in higher range power. Really your just splitting hairs(this is just in response of your 04 sentra). sounds good tho :)
    guess i wont really get into manufacturer claims on cold air intakes.
    Anyway, GO SI! hehe :D
  • k5ldbk5ldb Posts: 50
    I got the Sentra $650 over invoice, which is actually $350 less than invoice if you consider the rebate.

This is faulty thinking though. You paid $1650 over invoice for the car and Nissan rebated $1000. It looks warm and fuzzy the other way but in the cold light of day it objectively is $1650 over invoice.

I just bought a Civic and looked at the Si. According to Edmunds, as well as dealer quotes around here, the Si is going for well over invoice but a little off MSRP. I don't know where you saw it for below invoice but if that was actually true and not salesman speak to get things rolling that's a good deal. The Missourian in me would have to see it though.
  • cz75cz75 Posts: 210
    I wouldn't forget the dealer floorplan allowance either. The Sentra isn't a very desirable car in the marketplace and doesn't have the demand that would warrant paying anything over invoice. Let's not factor in the lower quality, lower reliability and lower resale of Nissans either.
  • Huh? Your math doesn't make sense to me. My quoted price was $650 over invoice, and final price was $350 under. Don't get the $1650 over invoice. And, in Ohio, one of the dealers listed the Si at $75 over invoice, which is before any negotiations. And, it had a $95 option after factory, which by my math is $20 less than invoice. Of course, I do live in Ohio, & teach engineering at a graduate university, so my math skills may not be that sharp :-)
    That's called "way too early in the morning math". I thought you said you got it for $650 over invoice with the rebate figured in. That's what happens when you read so soon after awakening.
  • No worries -- at first, I was afraid you were right, because sometimes sales managers can get you tangled around the numbers.

Regarding the difference in prices, sometimes I think dealers have some type of quota within their dealership, & this can impact pricing. I know my Nissan guy told me he needed "one more sale" to step up to the next level bonus :-)
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    type of quota within their dealership, & this can impact pricing. I know my Nissan guy told me he needed "one more sale" to step up to the next level bonus

Yea, most sales jobs are incentive bassed. Usually, they have a required dollar amount to reach in order to keep their job, and then different bonus's depending on how far above it they get.
  • laneglaneg Posts: 4
    I bought a spec-v on an impulse without really looking into the competitors as much as I should have. I basically compared the power numbers between the nissan and the honda with the nissan having a slight edge in torque, and made my decision on my idea of practicality. (slightly lower revving, more torque for around town versus higher revving and more aggressive handling for track or very twisty driving).
    I have really enjoyed my spec-v, but I did test drive the Si just to compare. First of all, the Honda has an overall better build quality. On a scale of 1-10, I'd put the nissan at 7-8, and the honda at 10. The nissan feels just as well put together, but they use cheaper materials. The honda has a much better manual shifter, better seats for corners, and handles better in the corners (little body roll and lots of grip). The honda engine and exhaust sound fantastic. Some say it's too loud, but if you are a racing enthusiast, you won't mind the noise, and you won't mind the more tightly sprung suspension that some would consider rough.
    The nissan is definitely a compromise between sport and everyday driving. I think the nissan engineers may have been trying to appeal to a larger audience with a softer, smoother ride, at the expense of more body lean in hard cornering than the honda. The nissan has plenty of grip through the turns, but the body does lean compared to the Si in aggressive driving. If you are used to an econo sedan, the spec-v feels quite sporty and you may not be able to tell much of a difference between the spec-v and the si if you don't drive your car to the limit. I enjoy the spec-v around town where it is pretty smooth over the bumps, and corners around town feel sporty in the spec-v because there aren't many hairpin turns that would reveal its greater body roll than the honda. The spec-v has good power with more torque off of the line than the honda and sprints to 60 mph in about the same time as the honda. To me, this makes it more practical around town, but if you are an all out enthusiast, who said anything about pracitcality? I have found in my spec-v that if I keep the revs above 3,000 it will pull any hill with ease, and it's much better above 4,000. The honda starts out with what feels like turbo lag, but once the engine hits 4-5,000 rpms, it takes off with what feels like a turbo, and the engine and exhaust are much more discernable than the more muffled spec-v. If you like the sound of a great engine, the honda sounds great. I have put an intake and exhaust and my spec v, and it sounds much better, but it still doesn't match the honda in sound and is not quite as smooth, (although amsoil full synthetic oil has really smoothed out my spec v).
    I don't think either car is particularly good looking - a common problem with japanese cars in my opinion. I liked the fact that the nissan was quite spartan or simple. It had just what I wanted and nothing more (cd, ac, pw, pl, 6spd). I just wanted a basic car. To some that may be a turnoff. Not to say that the honda is built with way too many extras, but it did seem more modern with a few more gadgets, (not necessarily a bad thing).
    I think this comparison is really like comparing apples and oranges. They are both fruits but taste a lot different. The honda is a no compromise track car, while the spec-v is a compromise between track and town. Obviously the honda takes sharper corners better, sounds more like a race car, and has a level better in build quality materials. It is louder, bumpier and one minded. (which is how race cars are). The spec-v is great around town and on the highway, has a softer ride, has equivalent power to the honda, and is equal on straightaways. It does have cheaper materials, and I am very envious of the honda's shifter. If I could take one thing from the honda and put it in the nissan, it would be the shifter. The nissan is suited more for around town, and I find the spec-v seats quite comfortable, but they aren't as supportive in aggressive cornering as the si's.
    There has been a lot of bad reviews for the spec-v, but I disagree. I think a lot of a people have based it against only sports car qualities, where the spec-v is a compromise, and to me it is a powerful 4 cylinder, sporty car for the driving that I do. If I had access to a track, spent more time on a track, and didn't have to worry about speeding tickets around town, I would go with the Si.
    A lot of people have ragged on the interior of the spec-v because of the red front seat belts, and g force gauge. I thought the red seat belts were cool and I didn't mind them at all. I don't know why they caused such a stir. The g force guage admittedly is dumb. They should have put a useful gauge in there like maybe transmission temperature, or a clock, or something. I do plan on replacing that gauge with something else. The g force gauge and the somewhat cheap shifter are my biggest complaints with the spec-v.
    Another item of contention is the limited slip as an option on the spec-v. I bought mine assuming it had one like previous generations, but I ended up buying one without. I was disappointed, but really, in my case, I really haven't had the need to use it even once. The only time you would really use the limited slip is in very aggressive, hard cornering like on a track, or I guess it would work in snow or rain. If you are lucky enough to get to drive like that, then by all means get the limited slip. I just didn't need it.
    Overall, both of these cars are good cars. Both with powerful naturally aspirated four cylinder engines, they are a lot more fun to drive than their econo brothers. It comes down to what you like. Are you a no compromise, all out street or track racer? Get the Si. Do you want si power, rarely leave town or the highway and want somewhat sporty driving/handling and smoother ride? Get the spec-v. Obviously, if you are a die hard Honda or Nissan fan, you've already made your decision. I'm not hard core for either. I try to find what I like and what suits me based on my desires and opinions. I think a lot of fun and years of reliability could be had with either car.
    I just got the August 07 MT with the comparison of the two cars. Their findings are similar. Basically they say the Si will follow the V anywhere and hang with it easily. The V will follow the Si anywhere and manage to stay pretty close with white knuckles and sweating on the part of the driver. Their photos show the V leaning heavily in the turns while the Si has barely any body roll at all. The Si has slightly higher numbers for handling although the difference is minimal. Both seem to be good cars depending on one's needs and wants. For someone with no brand tattoo on their tookus the Si is probably going to give a somewhat more pleasing overall experience. For the few diehards unwilling to accept the test measurements and real world performance reports the V will be their mode of transport to the tattoo parlor.
  • laneglaneg Posts: 4
    I'm not sure if that is some kind of slam or what. I tried to be objective, and I would no doubt rate the Si as a better sports car hands down. I just think there is a case for each. If I would have driven the Si before driving the spec-v, I'm sure I would have bought it. It's tough when a wife complains about engine and exhaust noise that I thought were fantastic. Maybe thats where I went wrong. I got married and you have to compromise. As a single guy I would have bought the Si. I think a lot of the problem stems from the fact that Nissan claims it is in the same class as the Si. Nissan shouldn't have claimed that, and the V should probably be tested against the more mainstream versions of other brands. They shouldn't have used the spec-v badging and maybe just called it a Sentra S. I do think Nissan should rethink the spec-v if they intend on it being the car for hard core enthusiasts. And what's up with the cheaper materials? How hard would it be for Nissan to use higher class materials?
This discussion has been closed.