Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac SRX reliability, maintenance and quality

Comments

• krey3krey3 Posts: 3
    I am sooooo frustrated with my 06 SRX. In Aug 2011 the timing chain broke. It took 5 months, going back and forth with the Dealer (Lehmers GMC in Concord CA) and GM Corporate about the repair and cost. Originally I was advised a new engine would be needed at a cost of $10,000! For months we went back and forth about the type of repair and cost. It was finally determined GM would pay 1/2. My out of pocket cost was $2300.

I pick up my car on January 13, 2012. Yes, 5 months later. On February 14, 2012, 1 month and 1 day later, the engine light came on. OMG!!!!!!! What now????? I felt a slight loss in power, looked at the control panel and saw the engine light on. Today I will call Lehmers GMC in Concord to make an appointment.

This is way more stress than I can handle!!!!!! Oh I failed to mention my beautiful panoramic sunroof fails to close!!!!

I am convinced many of us Caddy Owners were sold LEMONS!!!y
  • I am sorry to read about how stressed you are as a result of the vehicle concerns you have with your SRX. If you were interested, we could get a Service Request set up with us which would allow us to get in contact with your dealership and stay with you through the process of getting these things resolved. Please send us an email to the address located in my Edmunds profile with more information (please include your name/Edmunds username, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership). My coworker Christina who answers incoming emails from the forum will advise you further.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Wow, I wish I would have read these messages before purchasing an 04 srx last Tuesday... I had to take it back on Sat morning due to the "stability engaged" warning appearing and breaking while driving a few times already and on Thursday the "trans hot idle engine" warning came on and I had to get off the freeway for it to cool down. it has 69k miles on it and in immaculate condition and I thought I was getting a steal. However, after reading all of these comments and the warnings already appearing only after a couple of days of me having it, I'm sick!!!

should have bought the Ford!!!
  • I've only had the car for 3 days and it's back at the dealer where I purchased it...All kind of warnings have appeared and they've had the car since last Saturday and all they can tell me is that they're waiting on Cadillac for a response. I used my last little money to purchase what I thought was a deal and now I don't even feel safe to ride my children in it for fear that I may lose control and something bad may happen. This is definitely a LEMON and I hate that I used basically my last to get this car now I still don't have a car and only after 3 days of having it! Is there anything I can do since it was purchased "AS IS"?
  • If we can follow up with your dealership on this, even just to find out more about what's going on with your vehicle, please send us an email with more information (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership). It would also be helpful to include a link to this post as my coworker Christina answers incoming emails and would need to know a bit more of the context to the email.

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • kim77kim77 Posts: 1
    I have owned several Cadillac and my 2011 SRX is by far the worst. The AC doesn't work, I took it in and they found nothing wrong. I will have is set to the coldest temp and it will blow out about 75 degrees. I also hate the blind spots in the front and the jerking it does. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET RID OF IT...
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Hello kim77,

I'm sorry to read about your air conditioning not working very well. If we can follow up on your appointment with your dealership where they looked into this, please let us know by getting in touch via email: socialmedia@gm.com (include your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ericzoomericzoom Posts: 213
    I would bring it in to a different service dealer.
    My 11' SRX A/C seems to work fine, and I live in S. Florida.
    The dealer can reflash the ATX to help deal with the jerking. It doesn't
    solve the problem completely, but at least makes it more tolerable.
  • gtm2gtm2 Posts: 3
    I purchased my 2011 srx in August and anytime the road is a little rough I hear a creaking sound. At first I could not locate it and it came and went, so there was no point in taking it to the dealer. This week I figured out it only happens when the sunroof is closed. Maybe the cadillac folks can answer this?
  • I am about to purchase a 2011 SRX from carmax. I used the vin number and called cadillac customer service. I asked them if there were any open re-calls on this specific vehicle. They told me that there was. The open re-call was for the panaramic moon roof needing work. She said it had to.do with a seal leaking. This is probably your same problem. Call cadillac customer service, they can tell you if your SRX has the same open re-call. They said the fix was no charge just bring it in to the dealership.
  • Update: My panaramic sunroof was disassembled and rebuilt by the dealer. Seemed to help with the creaking noise until a couple of weeks ago when it started again.
    While it was in the shop for the work, they gave me a 2012 SRX loaner.

Guess what?

The sunroof creaked on the loaner.

This is a design flaw, not a problem with my car.

My wife likes the SRX, but I consider it a piece of junk.
    If you wanted for us to check into any open recalls on your vehicle, please email the last 8 of your vehicle's VIN to socialmedia@gm.com and we'd be happy to do so!

Kind regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    Glad to see you folks are looking at on-line comments. I contacted your chat line at cadillac.com, but it wasn't much help - go see the dealer - I already know that. I was hoping to get someone at Cadillac involved since this problem is not unique to me. I could not find a recall - maybe you can come up with a fix and issue one. Thx
    Thanks for the info. I have not received a recal notice, but maybe Sarah, who has been on this site for GM will get something. I haven't had any leaks so far (10K miles) so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
  • 2bogey2bogey Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2004 Cadillac SRX with 68,000 miles on it from a GM dealer. I took it to the dealer and they wanted $2500 to replace the timing cover, $200 to replace a turn signal and $450 to clean the Wheel speed sensors and $100 for an oil change.

My first complaint is I have never had to do any of these things except an oil change to a Toyota, Honda or VW. My second is why does it cost $200 to replace a light bulb? Sounds like GM wanted to get there techs more work or just a horrid design. Either way unacceptable.

Now the traction control engages for no reason. So when I am pulling out into traffic I dont know if it will go or not. I almost got nailed yesterday with my 6 year old in the car.

I was able to find a local mechanic who came with great recomendation. He changed the timing cover for $880 and the turn signal for $80. It just seems like this car is going to kill me with repair bills. I feel bad but..... back to Japan where they can make a car that works.
  • walshc001walshc001 Posts: 2
    We have an SRX purchased, new, in November 2010. We were recently at a shareholders' meeting in Omaha (5 May 2012). It was a hot day (90 degrees plus) and the car was parked in an outside parking lot. When we returned to the car the temperature reading was all over the place -- mostly in double-digit minus numbers. And the a/c didn't work.

After some problems with OnStar I finally called Cadillac. They sent a mechanic to our hotel, and he said that he thought the on-board computer needed to be re-booted. He did this, and the car was fine. We drove the 1,300 miles back to our home in Vermont without any incidents.

It was a hot day today (23 May) and we are now experiencing the same problem with the A/C. Temperatures are in the minus range, and the car is even warning me about the risk of ice on the road.

We're taking it off to the dealer tomorrow to see if they can find the problem -- and fix it. These postings describe almost identical problems, and I see GM asking for VIN's.

Any feedback on what has been causing the SRX air conditioning problems? It would certainly be nice if I could give our Cadillac dealer some suggestions.

Thanks,

Craig
    Good morning Craig,
    I hope that everything goes well with your dealership visit today; please keep us updated on the progress of the diagnosis! We're happy to get a case set up for you if your dealership is unable to resolve the air conditioning matter.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,100
    gtm2,
    I am happy to look into recall information for you. Please feel free to email me with your VIN and current mileage. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • walshc001walshc001 Posts: 2
    We dropped our SRX at the Cadillac dealer (MacMulkin in Nashua, New Hampshire) -- and even gave the service consultant a print-out of the relevant postings from this forum. I am told they called some sort of centralized Cadillac service HQ and were told that they needed to replace the "cluster controller." The dealership also experienced the same problems we did with the a/c in our car, so they were fortunately able to see it first hand.

A "cluster controller" had to be ordered, so we returned the next day to pick up the car. As the dealership is 90 minutes or so from our home, this meant two back-to-back days with 3+ hours of driving each day. (Of course this has nothing to do with Cadillac -- but it is part of our reality.)

Started to head north with our car and its new "cluster controller." We made it about 20 minutes up the highway before the car started to get hot again. The outside temperature reading on our console showed 35 degrees -- when it was nearer to 80. We did a U-turn and headed back to MacMulkins. We're back in the loaner car, and they have our Cadillac. I told them they had a final opportunity to fix it.

I have fingers crossed.

If I have a desktop computer that starts to act up, I replace it. Nobody fixes computers. If this is being caused by the on-board computer, then it (quite simply) needs to be replaced.

Craig
    Craig,
    I'm truly sorry to see that the fix that the dealership did ended up not resolving the issue. I see that they still have the vehicle; if you would like for us to check in on the progress of the vehicle, we'd be happy to do so. We would need to set up a Service Request to do this, so please send the following information to socialmedia@gm.com: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.
    All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • ericzoomericzoom Posts: 213
    I brought my 11' SRX in to the dealer yesterday for an A/C issue. It seemed to blow warm after several hours on the road. I had it in there the whole day, and they fixed the A/C issue (replaced dryer), did an early oil change and tire rotation, reprogrammed my TCM for a hard-shifting issue, and washed my vehicle. A/C is ice cold now, and ATX issue is much improved.

Great service from Coral Cadillac in Pompano,FL. :)
  • flmnfemflmnfem Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 SRX with 82K miles on it. The car has had a problematic repair history, though the last year or so it has been fine.
    I don't know if I should consider trading the car in now while it would still have some value, or hold onto it and figure it will be OK and be able to take me another 5 years or so relatively problem free. Help-I normally keep cars well over 100k miles but with this repair history I wonder if I will be able to with this one, though, again, the last year or so it has been very good.
    I am a woman, and often have my dogs and elderly mother in the car, so need to consider that too.
    Thanks for your thoughts!
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    You're probably outside of the powertrain warranty period, given your car is a 2004. I would trade it in while the going is good and look for a more reliable vehicle. Good luck.
  • flmnfemflmnfem Posts: 3
    Good point-thanks for your advice. Do you have any first hand experience with a similar type of vehicle but with greater realiability?
  • zpattizzpattiz Posts: 1
    I am hoping that the GM customer service reps will be able to review my post and assist in whatever way you are able.

I leased a fully loaded 2010 SRX and have had MULTIPLE problems.

The AC has been replaced and has been brought back 2 additional times to be fixed. Yesterday, as others reported, it didn't work, but today it does.
    The navigation system was rebooted and then eventually it had to be replaced.
    The key fobs don't work as they should and were reprogrammed and then a part was replaced.
    In the winter, the heated seats do not get warm enough.
    The car does not heat up when it started before driving. It can take up to 15 minutes to heat up or cool off sufficiently.
    There have been other issues, but a some of the forum members have reported they are intermittent and do not always show at the dealership. They will consistenty tell you, and document with their computer readings, that the car is working properly.

The service department (M & S Pawling, NY) have been cooperative and have worked to address these concerns. However, a vehicle such as this, should not continually have issues. I have attempted to work with the area rep for Cadillac. He has not called nor scheduled a meeting to discuss the continued interruptions for service. This is the reason I decided to lease this particular vehicle.

I am looking fr assistance as to the next steps necessary to come to a resolution of these problems.
    Thank you.
    :cry:
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    Unfortunately I do not as I prefer mainstream rather than luxury cars. However, I believe if you're looking for a domestic luxury car, try Lincoln (e.g. MKS) as most of the Ford-based models have at least average reliability. Otherwise, try Lexus or Infinniti. Good luck.
    We would be glad to look further into this, zpattiz. Please email the following information (in addition to any further description you would wish to add) to us at socialmedia@gm.com:
    Your name and Edmunds username
    Phone and Address
    The last 8 of your VIN and current mileage
    The name of your involved dealership

Best,
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • I have 2011 SRX Lux All Wheel. Nothing but problems since day one. The dealer is fantastic in fixing them but there are just to many one after another and the same ones .The car is imune to being fixed uit likes to be sick. Out of the first 21 months and 13,000 miles the car has been in the dealer 4 to 5 months being fixed. Problem is not only with the car but GM itself as they give you no support in standing behind what they produce. If it is bad they should stand behind the product and the sad part is then they wonder why they are now ranked number 2 and people are not buying their product. Not everyone vehichle is perfect but stand behind it offer something other then saying we will fix it under warrantee. That is not good enough when people are paying good money to have their cars in service instead of having the use of them.
    This is a very sad thing and I will most likely have to think twice in purchasing another GM product for the first time since 1980. Very poor quality car and comany.
  • We're sorry to hear you've encountered so many difficulties with your SRX. Are there any issues unresolved currently that we can look into? If you would like for us to look into your situation further, please don't hesitate to contact us at socialmedia@gm.com
    Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • jj316jj316 Posts: 24
    Thank you for your interest. At this time I have been in touch with Mr Akerson's office about the way the Cadillac rep's handled this situation as they could not nor would not do anything about this. Just put it off to the side like it was a nothing out of the ordinary problem for them and that this is what you have to expect from owning a SRX. A very unpleasant one at that.