Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5

Comments

• jvmaxjvmax Posts: 5
    OK, after some research in the Central/South Florida area, there is no way that I can get invoice price let alone under invoice on any 2002 3.0 X5 eventhough the 2003's are on the lot.

Best I can do is 1500 above invoice. One dealer even had 7 2002 X5's and wouldn't deal even without a trade-in, and I even was going through BMW Financial services.

I think some people on this board are confusing invoice price with MSRP Retail. There is NO BMW dealer that will sell you a BMW at Invoice. I even looked at some low mileage Demo's and they were not even at invoice.

BMW's philosophy is that if I don't buy it at that price, the person walking in the door after me will, so take it or leave it.

My challenge is this: I am willing to drive no more than 500 miles from Central Florida for a BMW 3.0 X5 under invoice. If anyone bought their bmw under invoice (a true number without any trade involved) please leave me and the members of this board a name and phone number to contact because it is definitely worth the trip for me. I hate to give in to these arrogant BMW salemen here in FLA.
  • Any luck with under or at invoice pricing in florida?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    If you want people to contact you privately, then change the setting in your profile to make your email address public.

We discourage listing of real names, phone numbers etc. on open boards for obvious reasons.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    Ok, I'm new at posting--have always been the reader intstead of writer. Anyways I have made my profile public for anyone who would like to email. I have personally contacted several BMW dealers tonight, so I will await tomorrow's responses. Seems like the BMW dealer in West Palm Beach has 13 2002 x5 3.0's in stock so that might be the one to get a deal on. We'll see....
  • I will be meeting with the GM of the West Palm Beach BMW dealer next Tues or Wed (a friend of mine knows him well and has received great pricing in the past). I am ready to buy asap. If anyone wants I can mention that I know others that are ready to buy - maybe we can leverage a few vehicles and get a great price - it is worth a shot. Anyone interested can find my email under my profile.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    ...maybe we can leverage a few vehicles and get a great price...

Let's not! It looks too much like a solicitation which isn't permitted on the TH boards.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,468
    But you're in FL, so why on earth do you need an SUV? The 4wd will render useless unless you really trek through mucky, muddy, swamp terrain on your way to the grocery store or mall. A 530i would be a better fit for you possibly.

Is it really worth it for you to drive that far to get a good deal on a car? Are you stretching your budgetary constraints? Maybe a CPO X5 would be more to your liking.

You do realize that whenever the car needs to be serviced, your local dealer may not provide you with a loaner car or a preferential service appointment. Have you checked into your local dealer's policy on cars not purchased at that particular dealership?

You also stated in your own post that there is NO BMW dealer that will sell you a car at invoice. So why are you looking to buy a car from a BMW dealer BELOW invoice?

$1500+ Invoice is considered a good deal on a BMW. $1000+ Invoice on a BMW is considered a great deal. I have read that someone one this board got an X5 for $1200 under invoice (but that's RARE). I've also read that Central FL is a bad place to buy luxury cars. Maybe try calling some dealerships in the NY/NJ/CT area. If you're willing to drive up to 500 miles for a good deal, why not spend a few hundred bucks on a plane ticket and drive your new X5 back to FL.

Good luck with your search.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    I feel your pain - I bought an 01 X5 3.0 about a year ago from Fields - that has to be the arrogant dealer you are referring to in Central Fl., they are horrible. I love the X after the first year, not a single problem - I see lots of them on the roads here.

NYC- The X5 is hardly an SUV, it's not recomended for off road use - like anyone with an SUV actually goes off road. An X5 happens to be perfect for Florida. I looked at a 530 when I settled on the X because of it's all wheel drive plus I preferred the X's layout over the 530. I used to live in the snow belt (Colorado) and drove a Range Rover back then - which actually went off road on a fairly regular basis. A Rangie in Florida would be a bit of a waste - although that new 03 Range Rover is all the rage here, I've seen several, along with tons of Escalades and 03 Navigators.

Luxury car dealers in the Orlando area have an MSRP take it or leave it attitude - you really have to negotiate to get a deal - I got Fields down a couple grand on my X - I wouldn't even attempt invoice.
    OK,

thanks for all of the feedback to my last question. Looks like the best anyone in FL can do is 1500 above invoice. So I know must ask, has anyone bought a dealer demo with less than 5k miles and for what price in respect to invoice for the same vehicle new.

I'm thinking if I can get 2500 off of invoice for a demo, that would be a great price. Any thoughts???
  • shap1shap1 Posts: 77
    We're also in So. Fla. looking for a deal on an X5. We asked about dealer demos. The good news is that they should be turning 'em back in at the end of Oct. The bad news (at least for us) is that the demos are supposedly optioned to the max because they only give X5 demos to top execs at the dealerships. So, despite the "discount" they'll still be pretty pricey. Depending on your budget, and if you plan to lease, you might do better on an '03.
  • bertram60bertram60 Posts: 113
    and a friend who was working there. 3k miles on it, 4.4 with sport, 19" wheels, activity....can't remember what other packages. Definitely not loaded out, but after a lot (I mean a LOT) of haggling i think I got a good deal. Bought the truck last September, think the invoice was $54k and paid $50k for it on a three year lease at about 3.5 APR. Payments are $689/month total.

I called my friend to see what they had in stock and said I wanted no BS, I had calculated all the numbers and new that I was close, but if they were willing to meet my numbers we'd have a deal. "No problem, c'mon down." Nine, count 'em, NINE hours later I drove home in the pouring rain in my new/used X. No gas, found all sorts of little trim pieces missing the next day, one wheel had been damaged while they were cleaning up the truck, all in all not a good experience, but to some extent you get what you pay for....The manager tried at least three to four times to change numbers, use a higher APR on the lease and BS me. At one point all I wanted to do was sign the papers, take my old car (2000 A8) and go home for the night and come back the next day to get my new truck.

Kinda took the shine right off the apple.

All in all it's been a pretty good truck. The '03's have a lot more of the features that I thought I should have had on my '01. 23,000 miles later I still enjoy driving it, but as my mileage is getting so high I'll probably dump it early (I'll calculate the earliest i can get out whole and trade it). I've been thinking about a 4.6, but we'll see. I miss my Audi, probably the BEST high performance sedan on the market. New body in '04 for both X and A8 make it a tough decision.

Long and the short.... there are (were) deals to be had, but be prepared to pay in other ways.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,201
    ouch, 9 hours? Try a Blast Fax next time!

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• raybearraybear Posts: 1,776
    Blast email, it works better these days.
  • hogdoghogdog Posts: 1
    I'm ordering an X5 3.0 within the next few days and am loathe to get an automatic transmission, after owning a 528 5-speed and a 540 6-speed. However, I haven't read or heard great things about the X5 manual transmission. Any informed opinions would be greatly appreciated. Please post a reply or e-mail me directly at ted@chom.com. Many thanks in advance; this is important to me.
    There's actually a follow-up to the Blast Fax article:

Online Car Buying Revisited.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I will be in the minority here. But, I will be taking my X5 offroad. Yes, it does happen. I have already pulled trailors with it, drove through hay fields, etc... But, this upcoming fall I will have to back down gravel boat ramps and drive a farm road made of dirt (mud when it rains).

I have been happy with the traction so for and will be putting my 17" rims and tires back on for snow and mud. The all season Michelans are on the rims that came stock with the car. I am seekin any input on driver's experience on muddy roads with the 17" all season tires. Has anyone upgraded to more aggresive tread, and if so, did they find it helpful. Also, any other off road experiences would be helpful so I can appreciate the X5's ability. Keep in mind, I do no rock climbing, just driving across farm fields, dirt/mud roads.

The 4x4 system on these things are pretty sharp, and I hope the technology will make up for the lack of aggresive tread.
    Not a complimentary article, but it may be of interest.

Steve, Host

• woodywwwoodyww Posts: 1,797
    I'm going to look at a 2001 5sp., 9K mi, premium package, 5 sp. manual, silver/black leather, no heated seats, private owner is asking $37.5K. Frankly I'd rather get one with all the toys, but the price on this seems pretty good--any advice?

Thanks!
  • Besides the usual stuff like checking the service records just take it for a drive. Take it 10-15 mph through a bumpy parking lot w/ the radio off, windows down and listen for any noises underneath. Turn the steering wheel full in each direction, listen for anything outside or inside. Up/down each window individually, see if you hear anything. The good news: if there's anything wrong it's still under warranty for a couple more years. Also the maintenance plan is still in effect.

It's a manual -- I hope you really, really love manuals 'cuz the biggest problem w/ the X5 manual is 1st is too short and 5th doesn't go far enough. 5th in the manual is equivalent to 4th in the auto so you'll rev much higher on the highway. From what I've read elsewhere manuals seem to go thru more oil than the autos. Hope this helps.
  • I am in the NY area, and want a Titanium Silver X5 with premium package, xenon, auto trans, and lumbar. i got a price of 2500 OVER invoice (44,880) and was wondering what you all thought of that. Can i bring them down? anyone have experiences on long island with prices lower than 2500 over invoice?

Thanks!
  • dzubadzuba Posts: 159
    Hope this question does not cause to much bantering. I am considering either a 530, or 3.0 X5 (both CPO)- in everyone's opinion does the X5 offer much more than the 530 than AWD and sitting higher in the vehicle? Living near Chicago the AWD may be a benefit, but after growing up here, I am not concerned about the RWD 530 in snow. Maybe it is just a preference thing. And finally - does anyone really need the 4.4 - I am thinking not me!!
  • You hit the big points, sitting high + AWD. While the X5 does have pretty poor cargo space compared to most SUVs, being able to fold down the back seats and get something "big" back there does have it's advantages. Like the time I had to bring home a couple new desk chairs (fit easily), or when I wanted to drop my mountain bike off at the shop. And while I don't do any hardcore offroading the clearance is adequate for the fire roads I've taken to get back to fishing hole(s).

Do you need a 4.4i -- depends. The 3.0 doesn't disappoint, but with a full load of heavy people and the A/C on you can feel it struggle somewhat where a 4.4 would never break stride. If it's mostly 1 person commuting the 3.0i is fine.
  • rickroverrickrover Posts: 602
    I leased my 3.0 automatic, premium package, climate package, Xenon X5 about a year and a half ago - no problems. I was thinking of a 530 wagon instead but got the X5 and couldn't be happier with it. The 3.0 has plenty of power and decent gas mileage - I've never been in a situation where I thought I needed more power. I don't use it for towing anything. As for the limited rear load space you always read about. I don't think it's a problem at all. The rear cargo area is fine 99% of the time and if more cargo room is needed the seats fold 60/40 for a huge load space. I love my X - I plan to buy it after the lease.

As for a 5 speed manual X - I thought about one but am glad I went with BMW's excellent steptronic automatic. You can get good deals on used manual X's because no one wants them - next to impossible to sell. They aren't the typical BMW 5 speed manual gearing, more like a truck. Tall first gear and high rpm's on the highway in 5th - I wouldn't recommend one without a test drive first.
    I am considering leasing as well. Would you mind passing on your estimated payment, I am looking to lease for 30/36 months at 15,000 miles per year.
    There's also a Lease Questions - Ask Here discussion (and other lease specific topics in the Finance, Warranty & Insurance Board).

Steve, Host

• Couple of additional points in the 5 series vs X5 comparison:

1. There is more room in the back seat area of the X5. If you have car seats, the added roominess and higher seating position makes it easier to buckle in the kids.

2. While the 5 series vehicles are safe and generally should handle better, the X5 has been the "safest vehicle ever tested" thus far by the IIHS. This especially applies to passive safety. The X5 is also much heavier than the 5er. I personally would rather be in the X5 in an unavoidable collision. Notice how heavy the doors are.
    I was originally leaning towards a CPO 2001/2002 3.0 based on price, but as I have done some thorough research I am finding the delta between a 3.0 and 4.4 between $1,000 and $3,000 for equally equipped vehicles. This being the case, I may go for the 4.4 - so here is the question - are there any reliability issues between the two engines, and in general - how do these two stack up when it comes to reliability! My driving pattern will be 30K miles per year, mostly highway! For work, no kids!
  • If it were me in that situation I'd opt for the V-8. With the V-8 you'll be able to pass everything but a gas station and the biggest cost of ownership difference (aside from gas) will probably be the insurance (my agent quoted me bigger $$s for a V-8). The only negative I've ever heard about BMW V-8s is that they're supposedly hard on the tranny; but I've never seen any solid evidence and X5's are still too new to know what happens at 100K+.

Bottom line: don't know of any reliabilty issues specific to the engines.
    I'm curious, on new - what are people out there paying below MSRP? $1500, $2000, $500.00? Today I had a BMW rep offer to throw in the Spartenburg experience if I purchased new vs. CPO, as he has no CPO on the lot! Anyone done the Spart thing, and is it worth it? He flies me down, I do the thing, and drive my vehicle home!
    Did I mention I test drove one today - wow - what a ride. Drove a 3.0 with the Sport Package, not sure I want the Sport, but overall I loved the ride, and really feel the 3.0 is all I need. Now I am trying to figure out is it better to buy new at 46K (and kind of bite the depreciation) or buy a CPO for 42-44K!! Unbelieveable how they are currently holding their value which is probably why I should buy new, but still weighing opinions. I really like the CPO to 100K.

Where is everyone, sleeping or what!!!