Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5

Comments

• Do you guys have a Dealer name that you would definetly recommend in Long Island, NY?

Lately, most of the dealers are so arrogant, they think they are giving away cars. Buying a 50K car should come with some pampering;-).

Thanks in advance.
  • I have found the BMW dealer here feels like they are doing you a big favor by selling you a car....They have no X5 3.0's for less than $50,000. I just don't want to spend that much! Anyone buy from an "out of area" dealer & drive home? Or any other suggestion?

Bluebeast: Maybe consider 2 more...Lexus GX470 or the new Infiniti FX!
  • 01 X5- 20000 miles. oil changed @ 13000 miles. had to add a quart of oil about a month ago at 19000 miles and checked again last night - seemed about 1/2-2/3 qt low again. don't see any signs of leakage. may have originally been dealer underfilling but now i'm wondering. any history of unusual oil consumption w/ these vehicles?
  • akumaakuma Posts: 70
    This year a new sport suv is coming out with 315 HP, 329 lb-ft of torque, 0-60 in 6.3 seconds, 15.0 second quarter mile, .87 lateral g's, numerous standard luxury features, more room and better gas mileage than the X5. And all for under $45,000. Who makes this? Little known Infiniti(Nissan). The 2004 FX45 (along with the FX35) will completely redefine what an suv is if it hasn't been done already.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Let me get this straight- you're complaining about 6000 miles/qt. oil consumption? When it starts using a quart every 1500 miles I'd start to worry. EVERY BMW I've owned since 1983 has used oil at a rate varying from 1 qt. every 500 miles(1988 M6 on lapping days) to 1 qt. every 4500 miles(1995 318ti).
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    A friend of mine's x5 4.4 is starting to have electrical problems. The door locks are sporadically not working properly. Any ideas where to start looking? Blown fuse, short, bad battery?
    The first place I'd look is on Alldata for any applicable TSBs. If nothing's there, I'd check the door wiring harness where it plugs into the socket on the door jamp. Sometimes they can be loose or there is some corrosion on the pins and sockets. Use some good electical contact cleaner(Wurth or equivalent)and see if that doesn't clear it up.
  • klwsklws Posts: 7
    Has anyone had a DVD player installed in an X5?

My wife and I love the X5 and might be willing to deal with the smaller size but we need to have a back-seat DVD player for the kids.

When test driving the other day, I noticed the roofline isn't even (flat) toward the back so I'm not sure if the all-in-one units could be installed.

Interested in other's experiences.

Thanks, Kevin
    BMW sells one; it's listed in the X5 Accessory Catalog: http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/access-x5/video.htm figure around $1800 with a CCA discount, + the cost of a decent portable DVD player.
  • Any big model changes/redesign coming for the X5 in '04? The dealer tells me that '05 model will likely be changed. Anyone with inslight please post.
  • I've heard that there will be a change to the front grill and headlights. I have posted the picture on another forum of what it might look like

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t75297.html

(Scroll down 4 posts for the image)
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,451
    Watch your mailbox I guess - 15 minute fix:

BMW recalls 164,000 X5s (Greenville News)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• At 7 months old (3000 miles) my 4.4 2001 X5 had strange electrical problems, when the key was turned to on, the hazards would turn on and int. lights would turn on. This was intermittent for a few weeks then the car died, had to be towed the the dealer. After a week the dealer said it was a dead battery and the battery was so dead it needed to be replaced. They said that I don't drive enough miles to charge the battery and replaced the battery at no charge. Now again at 17 months and 7200 miles the X5 had to be towed to the dealer. After 5 days the dealer said the battery needed to be replaced again and this time I will have to pay. $256 for the battery and $200 for the loaner car. After telling the dealer the car is driven every day they said that I need to drive on the highways more and charge the battery with a trickle charger in the garage. This is preposterous! Any one with similar problems??
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    If you're not driving it enough to recharge the battery, you probably aren't driving it enough to drain it either.

tidester, host
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    First off, that is highway robbery for the battery...$70 at sears for a diehard.

Second, highway driving? Trickle charge? That is horsehockey. Just idling the car should charge the battery enough and a new car battery should last at least 3-4 years for a crappy one. How many new cars need a trickle charger?

Sounds like there is an electrical problem they cannot find.
  • I had the same problem and my dealer found a significant drain on the battery even when all systems were shutdown. A competent dealer can find the problem. In some cases it is the radio. There are some TSB's for this problem. Since fixed, I can leave my 2000 4.4 in the garage for weeks and it always starts without problem. If your dealer doesn't clean up his act go to another or take this to a higher authority at BMWNA.
  • wtb76wtb76 Posts: 2
    I was just told by BMW that the AWD system does not work in reverse on my X5. Is that really true??
  • joatmonjoatmon Posts: 315
    I went with my wife to pickup her X5 at the Performance Center on Friday. It was a very worthwhile experience. They did a good job of introducing you to the capabilities of the X5. We also took the factory and Zentrum tours, and rode in an M5 on the skidpad.
  • cekscceksc Posts: 20
    My lease is up in July on my x5. There was a recall on an issue that caused my battery to drain three times last Winter. Your dealer should not be charging you to fix this battery drain issue. That was my first problem with the car but not my last.

I have a short in the audio controls on the steering wheel that the dealer has been unable to repair. The Heating and Cooling on this vehicle is not consistent. I have never had a car in which I had such a difficult time regulating the temperature. The sensors that detect how close you are to an object both moving forward and backing up are terrible. They are over-sensitive and do not work properly. The sensors work perfectly on my jaguar. There are also various ergonomic issues that I find annoying.

Suffice it to say that this is the most disappointing car I have ever had. I have a Lexus on order. I enjoy driving my wife's two year old pathfinder more than this bmw. I am surprised I do not hear of others having similar problems.
  • jma199jma199 Posts: 6
    Just an update to #843. After finding a TSB, thanks to some of your help, stating that the CD/radio on a certain group of serial #s can kill the battery in cold weather,I checked my serial # on the CD player and it matched the TSB. Two days after the $465 battery was installed, at times when the key is turned to start, the hazard and dome lights come by themselves on and the doors lock. I informed the dealer (BMW Gallery of Norwell) of the TSB and the bizzare electrical occurances and they said that the TSB probably did not match (even the serial # did)and the electrical problems were just coincidence and would not effect the battery. I relayed all of this nonsense to BMW of NA. A week later BMW Gallery called and said they would refund $265 of the $465 battery and send me a free trickle charger to charge the battery in the garage. But they are still denying that the my X5 has a battery drain problem and that the "lack of maintainence" (only driving 5000 miles a year) is the only problem. Any suggestion???
  • onelgsonelgs Posts: 38
    Winter 2003 ratings and reviews of Sport Utility vehicles? I was shocked to see how poorly the X5 scored and the fact that Consumer Reports did not endorse it in the reliability verdict.

Until I read this today, the X5 was one of my two top choices for purchase this week.

What do you all think about this study?
    But the early X5's had a bunch of "teething" pains. What was it, 5 recalls right out of the gate? The old problems must have hurt them in the ratings. You'll have to ask the owners here how they're holding up in the real world.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I agree with steve that it had many problems out of the gate. Unfortunately, Two dealers have been unable to fix several of them. There are also many ergonomic details on this car that are ill conceived.

If you like the look of it I would consider the Volvo xc90. Very similar in appearance and much more car for the money. It is also much safer. Not being a volvo person I am going with a Lexus GX to replace my X5. I like the looks and the interior finish is outstanding. The new Lexus RX will be out in the Fall and should be a good car as well.
    I've decided to purchase the Acura MDX because with their touring package, navigation, DVD player and the dealer agreeing to $1,600 below MSRP... I couldn't resist.

CEKSC... good luck with the Lexus! I hope you did get a good deal. With the exception of the world looking yellow (tinted windows) and the fact that there are too many of them in my town (every 3rd car at the mall is a Lexus :) I like the Lexus but I like the MDX more... larger engine and lots more room for passengers and cargo :)
  • Consumer Reports is a SURVEY which attempts to pass itself off as being statistically relevant with all their little dots. They don't try to determine why someone DIDN'T return a card (which is critical in sampling) and it's my understanding the want $ with a returned card. Why anyone would pay to say "things are great" is a pretty interesting psyche case study on it's own.

IMO forums like edmunds have become better sources of info because you can find out exactly what problems others are having and how someone else's dealer approached the problem. Edmunds isn't the benchmark for the X5 per se as other forums get far more traffic. The truth is that some X5 do experience problems -- just like every other car listed in edmunds forums. Nobody except BMW has a hard number on how many.

I rarely post as my X5 is flawless -- haven't seen the dealer in a year, since the last (covered by warranty) oil change. I also completely disagree with the "OPINION" that there are "many ergonomic details that are ill conceived".

onelgs, as you are coming out of a minivan I think the acura is a much better fit than the X5 and you made a great choice at a great price. Congrats!
    Never heard the "want money" thing before, but it wouldn't surprise me if they stuck a renewal form in with the surveys. I'm not a big fan of CR either, but there's not much else out there except for the J.D. Power reports (many of those are available here).

If anyone wants a sneak peek at the little brother, here's a blurb:

2004 BMW X3

Steve, Host

Thanks for the congrats on my Acura MDX. I only posted about the Consumer Report article because I did think it was interesting and I did so only after discussing it at length with the GREAT x5 salesperson I was working with. He did point out BMW's *total* maintenance program and free car loaner while in the shop. Smart consumers do need to weigh ALL aspects of any major purchase and act on what will work best for them.
  • jma199jma199 Posts: 6
    Beware of BMW's total maintenance program and free loaner car. Please see #843 and #850. And I forgot to send my survey into Consumer Reports.
  • BMW per se does not have a policy of free loaner cars -- many BMW DEALERS have that policy as do other luxury car dealers. I had two dealers to choose from, one with free loaners (BMW with scheduled appointment, Enterprise rental otherwise) or a dealer who would "take me where I wanted to go". That jma's dealer demonstrated complete incompetence in handling the battery drain issue is of no surprise given the loaner charge. An obvious lack of commitment to service by that dealer.

"Total maintenance" is exactly what it says -- when the car needs an oil change or new brake pads it's covered under the service warranty. A separate warranty (4yr/50k) covers defects and wear/tear ranging from electrical issues to peeling door handles and even wiper blades.
    Congrats on the purchase. I have not driven but I have heard the MDX is a great vehicle. I agree too many Lexus rx -- but I bought the new GX and did save 2k on sticker.