Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5

Comments

• cekscceksc Posts: 20
    One of the happiest times of my life was turning in my BMW X5. I had nothing but problems with the car and BMW was able to fix few of them. I can particularly appreciate how bad the X5 was now that I have the Lexus GX. It is by far the best SUV I have ever had the pleasure to drive. A superior drive, a more beutiful interior and many more sophisticated gadgets (including a great navigation system). Consider the GX over the X5. I was disappointed with the Volvo xC90. Like the BMW it has impressive exterior styling but fails to live up to its price tag.
  • asoposasopos Posts: 2
    What can I expect to pay over invoice for a 4.4 in the Atlanta area? Any suggestions for negotiating for this purchase?
  • topspin628topspin628 Posts: 373
    I am a very satisfied owner of a 02 330 I, my first BMW. It's been very reliable and a blast to drive. My wife's lease is up on ML320 which was not a very reliable SUV. I test drove X5 and loved it. It drives very much like a large 3.

A few questions: Is reliability a issue here?

What changes for 04 and is worth the wait?

What's a good price vs invoice or retail?

Is the upgraded radio worth the price, it was on my 3.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info,
  • rjohn5rjohn5 Posts: 1
    I am planning on buying a BMW X-5 with sports package.
    My test drive showed the SP to be too firm compared to the STd version.

Is this true?

If the ride is too harsh, why would any one buy this?

Also. what is a good price for a 2001 X5 with Navigation, sounds ystem and sports package.
  • joatmonjoatmon Posts: 315
    Q. Is reliability a issue here?
    A. Yes, but not too much larger than the average car these days. Just use a dealer that will work with you in case you have an issue or two.

Q. What changes for 04 and is worth the wait?
    A. There is a cosmetic facelift to freshen the X5 until its redo in 3 years. The V8 is now a better unit, like used in the 745. HP is greater, but torque is similar. Some will notice, most will not.

Q. What's a good price vs invoice or retail?
    $2000 - $2500 south of MSRP is probably doable. Focus on a good dealer.

Q. Is the upgraded radio worth the price, it was on my 3.
    A. Most people say no. But, YMMV.

Good luck,

Jack
    I don't think the Sport Package on the X% is as desirable on the X% as it is on the 3 or 5 sedan. My wife's X5 does not have SP, but my 530i has SP.

I think the major reasons for the SP being popular include:
    1. The wheels, tires, steering wheel and black headliner being more attractive to some.
    2. Some people want all the "buttons".
    3. The feeling that a "real" BMW should have SP. Again, this applies more to the 3 and 5 series, but not really to the X5, IMHO.

Good luck,

Jack
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    Consider getting the all season tires as opposed to the larger rim/lower profile performance tires if you live in an area that gets some snow. The all season will give you greater performance in snow, slick and any potential dirt road scenarios.
  • asoposasopos Posts: 2
    just purchased 4.4 and i live in the atl area, but i purchased out of town, great price compared to atlanta dealers, not a problem since bmw has performance pick up available in greenville...if interested in name of dealership and salesman send me a message
  • jesinglejesingle Posts: 4
    I haven't noticed too much discussion on 3.0 pricing in the DC Area. Has anyone purchased the 3.0 with Premium pkg, xenon, cold weather? If so, which dealership. Thanks.
  • latifslatifs Posts: 2
    Does anyone have experience with the order tracking on the Bmw site? My wife has been anxiously monitoring the production of her car on the site (thank heavens for the internet! Otherwise she would have me call the dealer everyday with, "is it ready yet?").

It now says a scheduled delivery date of July 9th. Is the information on there reliable? If so,how soon after that can she expect to actually have the car?
    My wife's X5 was delivered on 2-28-03. We followed the progress and found it to be accurate. It was hard to wait the 10 days between it being build and taking delivery. I drive by the plant twice a day, so I just wanted to "go and get it".

Good luck,

Jack
  • ric1035ric1035 Posts: 32
    i finally gor rid of the whining noise but in the process the ABS and brake light went on. all i did was regrounded the battery (cleaned it,made sure its bare metal)and all of the grounds located in the trunk. still some whining noise under the hood but at least not on the speakers.

please help, how do i turn these lights off ? is there a reset switch? the yellow exclamation point is lit too.

thanks
    g
  • genieboygenieboy Posts: 4
    Does anyone know or have pictures of the upcoming facelift for teh X5? Also, besides the cosmetic changes is there anything else new for the 2004 X5? Thanks.
  • http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000162789.cfm

Just scroll down and click on those two links that should say :
    Click here to see picture one

and
    Click here to see picture two

Picture #1 shows the front right while #2 shows the rear right side
  • shifty4shifty4 Posts: 53
    I have visited 3 dealers in Montgomery County and spoke to one by phone in Fairfax. Must now check out United Buyer's prices. Maybe we can take this offline via direct email.
  • vinu_neurovinu_neuro Posts: 22
    Hi,
       Regarding the yellow exclamation, that is to do with the DSC (Dynamic Stability Conrol). If the exclamation is lit, the system is partially turned off. Just push the DSC switch in the front center of the dashboard, at the bottom, by the tranny shifter. You should take the vehicle to the dealer regarding the other problems. If no warranty, find a private mechanic that can work on European cars.

Good Luck!
  • vinu_neurovinu_neuro Posts: 22
    We just bought our first BMW, a 3.0i X5. It is a beautiful car that drives wonderfully. I am used to the conventional throttle systems used on Japanese vehicles (Honda). The kind the that use cable from the gas pedal to the throttle body. I was wondering whether the X5 3.0 has drive-by-wire throttle because I notice a slight lag from when I push the gas pedal to the point of reaction from the engine. This is most evident from a standstill. Do any of you also notice this. The conventional cable type throttle seems to react a lot faster.

Thanks for you help.
  • cooljc74cooljc74 Posts: 23
    Please tell us more about your deal.

Thanks in advance.
  • genieboygenieboy Posts: 4
    Does anyone know when the 04 X5 is being released? Has anyone ordered one from a dealer yet? If so, what are the prices being qouted by the dealer for the car and the options you have ordered. I just returned a 2001 X5 3.0 and am considering another one. Just not sure if I want to go for a 03 or 04 model. Does anyone think the 04 is worth waiting for? Thanks.
    Minor makeover for 04. v8 is newer style. More horses, similar torque. Find a picture of the 04 on the internet and decide if you like it better.

It's bascially going to be the same.

Happy motoring,

Jack