Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5

Comments

• 07x5er07x5er Posts: 1
    Actually, if you read his post again he was talking about 580K as the total X5 production ever, not for the '07 model year. But I agree with your other points.
  • cabluecablue Posts: 48
    Since you've got the 4.8i, would you let me know what kind of gas mileage you're getting? I've seen somewhere that people are getting around 13! If that's the case, I'm going to pass, but I feel it sure needs the extra power. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks! :shades:
  • apbtlvrx4apbtlvrx4 Posts: 7
    Yes, I can do that. I have an idea but since this is important to you, I will get the actual numbers and email you again.
  • apbtlvrx4apbtlvrx4 Posts: 7
    To everyone,
    I haven't been on here in awhile but my problems continue. I think I got a lemon. I have this 2007 X5 in the shop every other week: accordian shade for the sun-roof fell off, the adaptive headlights failed repeatedly, the emergency release latch broke for the tailgate broke and hangs there (too much cheap plastic on a car costing this much), not to mention the factory recalls for "hood clip corrosion", and a necessary "transmission software update".
    Too many small and medium problems to mention here. My hope is that all of these bugs get ironed out in the next model year or two because I would buy another one. The power, stying, sportiness, comfort and amenities are great! And, of course, its a BMW.
  • jeffk9jeffk9 Posts: 22
    Hi, I have a 07 X5 4.8i, sport package, with 1400 miles. In addition to radio and traffic report problems, I have been having noise from under car. Dealer thought anti sway bar..after 20 somethings days in shop...picked up yesterday still have light thumping noise from under car with bumps or agressive steering but also now have metal on metal grinding noise when turning or steering car at 25mph plus. Has anyone had similar problem ?
  • anon3anon3 Posts: 147
    All those problems must be incredibly frustrating. Hopefully your dealer is effective at fixing them.

I've had zero defects since taking delivery of a 2007 4.8i in December 2006 (unless you count the fact that the vehicle was delivered with bamboo wood trim everywhere except on one rear door that had burled walnut trim, which was easy to swap out.) I don't think I would be as forgiving as you have been if I had all those problems.
  • I returned mine after the SAME problem, 28 days is the shop, replaced entire steering rack, Still have the same noise, only worse. They tell me it's normal. I requested a buyback from BMW since I complained about it from day one.
  • Hi all

I need a recommendations for a good independent BMW mechanic in San Diego (work in Del Mar, live in UTC)

Thanks in advance!
  • I understand what you are saying. I'm not terribly bothered by the oil usage. Thanks.
  • vicu1vicu1 Posts: 2
    Is it a 3.0,4.4 or 4.8?
  • vicu1vicu1 Posts: 2
    I`m about to close on an `04 X5 w/59K miles and warranty up to 100K miles (or extra 2.5 years),due to being a certified vehicle.Is this certification really worth the money?I read the brochure and it shows a lot of mandane parts as not being covered (e.g. the sound system,etc.).The car is nice,got everything but Nav and Sport pkg. (I guess..what`s in the sport pkg. anyways?).It`s very clean and I`m buying through a referal at $26K (was told that the price is a steal...).Would this be considered a good buy?
  • My wife and I are considering purchasing a X5. It is hard to tell from the forums and reviews what the concensus view is on the vehicle. Looks like it has a lot of mechanical issues that take any from 2 weeks to a month fix. Can anyone give a recommendation?
  • My X5 is 2 months old. It is the best luxury truck I have ever owned. It is flawless. I test drove all the high end models. If you investigate(go back 3 years) all the forums for BMW,Range Rover, Porshe,Audi and Touareg-I think you will conclude that BMW is the least in problems.
  • luckylouluckylou Posts: 308
    Please, don't forget the Toyota Land Cruiser and the Lexus LX470 or the 2008 LX570
    I own a 2006 LX470 and is problem free.
  • I love my X5 but I have had to have it in the shop A LOT! It looks, feels, and drives like a BMW which is good. Maybe all of the problems I encounter are because it is the first year of the new design (2007). If you get one, definitely get the 2008 model.
  • anon3anon3 Posts: 147
    BMW posted the first official detailed description of the new X6 on their website on December 15, 2007. The current URL is:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/AllBMWs/FutureVehicles/X6/Default.aspx

Note the new twin turbo V-8 that makes 400 hp and 450 ft lb of toque. That engine also will appear in the new 7 series and probably in a 5.0is performance version of the X5. I saw the X6 in South Carolina on a test track back in August and have been watching for the announcement. My dealer says they still don't know exactly when production slots for an X6 will be available, but I put my name on the list now.

An X6 discussion group will probably be needed soon.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    I Agree we need a X6 discussion, I have been reading for years in magazines abt the X6 finally its here and coming in 2008, I am sure it will be much better looking in person then the pictures,The only thing bothers my abt the X6 in that its longer then the X5 I just hope it doesn't feel to long to feel like a long limo on the roads, When i saw the first time new X5 in magazines i didn't even bother reading abt it, after seeing on the roads, Its 1of my favo cars today.

I really like to hear what else went wrong with ur x5 (apbtlvrx4)
  • Please help me!!! Convinced it could go offroad, i took my x5 up and down some steep dirt hills in my area to test out the hill descent, and at the bottom were some HUGE potholes that were impossible to get around. when i went through them, i could feel the bottom hit the ground and a huge THUD. now, whenever i accelerate moderatley (pedal atleast half in) there is definate reverberation felt through the gas pedal and a noise in the in the engine or exhaust or somewhere when i accelerate (i have a 4.4i by the way, 2004) that definatley wasnt there before, it used to run much more smoothly. Please help!! Have i just completeley ruined my car, or has something just come loose?!?!?! I looked at the undercarriage and couldnt see any damage, so now im freaking out because i JUST bought the car. Please, if anyone has any idea what might have happened to my car please help!
    Thanks so much!!
  • bgricebgrice Posts: 1
    I am having problems with intermittent air loss in the left front only. We swapped front air lines and the problem is still on the left front. It sometimes will hold for days, and then sometimes it leaks down after sitting for only a few hours. As soon as the height-adjustable air suspension button is pushed, it will raise the air bag and will continue to hold air while driving. It does have a vague metallic clunking noise occasionally when driving, more pronounced when the air pressure in the bag has gone down. One tech at a dealer has said that once the shock was run with the air bag deflated, it is done (as far as the shock). Can they be rebuilt, or does the entire strut have be replaced (like the dealer would have you believe). :(
  • Hello all, thanks for reading...planning to buy BMW X5 as it was my dream to own a BMW X5...Can some one please let me know if this will be a good one to own?
    45k miles on it, sport pkg, premium, 19" wheels,nav, pan.moon roof,...it has all the required things I am looking for...questions are
    1) 24k is a good price to pay for this?
    2) On avg, how much will be my maintenance for this vehicle?
    3) any frequent and known issues on this model?
    4) how soon it will be out-dated in the market?
    5) re-sale value after 2 yrs from now

Thanks for your help and advise
  • It just happened once today.

After I turned off the ignition and took the key out. I noticed something was still running under the hood. I waited a while and it kept running. I did not wait for it to stop. I put key in and started the engine again (I did check the engine temperature and it was normal.). Then turned it off. After this, I did not see anything running any more.

The running was like turbo charged engine, which keeps running for a while after you turn off the engine.

Anybody experienced this?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,153
    Maybe it was just the radiator fan? Most of them are thermostatically controlled these days and will run (if needed) whether the motor is on or off.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• It might be the fan which was running. But why? It never happened to me before. Engine temperature was normal and weather was cold. After I re-started the engine and turned it off, the running was gone rightaway.

I am not sure if it is normal.

Steve, thank you for the reply.
  • I just bought an '05 4.4 with sport + premium. 24k is good/fair depending on condition. If there is still warranty left or it is CPO, I think it is pretty good!
    Maintenance - cannot tell, depends too much on condition, but I'm prepared for higher then your average car.
    Issues - check x5world.com, but from what I read, minor stuff, my PDC and folding mirrors stopped working, but are still under warranty.
    I like the look. BMW keeps to maintaining their theme.
    Resale - I realy expect it to depreciate 2-3k per year from this point.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Hi I recently purchase a 2002 x5 3.0 bmw...the car doesnt have any audio upgrades and I was thinking of getting a touch screen navigation/dvd system for itand hopefully installing monitors on the headrests or a flipdown...can anyone tell me if this is feasible or will it be way too much trouble....thx
  • jc12058jc12058 Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem with my 2002 X5 sport. My local shop told me the bladder needs replacing ($1000+) but was able to fill it and it held for about 2 months. Let me know if you find a better fix, as no lights are on the dash etc...
  • Definitely worth the extra for the nav system. You are never lost. Only negative is the update DVD is expensive.
  • x5fixerx5fixer Posts: 2
    Final stage Module goes bad and blower motor continues to run after ignition is turned off running the battery down.Dealer repair about $350. do it yourself with dealer part for about $130
    "It's hard to imagine a more complete high-performance SUV package than the 2010 BMW X5 M. It set new records at the drag strip. It's as easy to drive as any normal X5, and steers and rides better than any previous example. Its 14 mpg average certainly will not earn you a medal for fuel efficiency, but it is the best figure in its immediate peer group. And while $86,000 is unquestionably a large sum of money, that price is at the very least "fair" when it's compared to those of its rivals — especially when you line up standard and optional equipment."

2010 BMW X5 M Full Test and Video (Inside Line)