Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5

Comments

• erinx5erinx5 Posts: 14
    Hey everyone!
    Does anybody know the estimated waiting time involved in ordering an X5 from the time of order to delivery? My friend is considering, and she would like to know how long they take to come in, approximately.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,106
    I'm sure most of it varies on where you are in the country relative to the plant in South Carolina.

My Dad's X5 was ordered and built within 3-4 weeks. He lives in NY.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• art44art44 Posts: 12
    In N. Cal, I had to wait close to six weeks for a 4.4 that I ordered. It would have been half the time for a 3.0. You may be able to talk the sales manager into modifying a car that is already in production or entering production to meet your specifications. This could save you several weeks of waiting.
  • hzhaohzhao Posts: 28
    I just recently purchased 4.4i and according the dealer manager, a ordered one will take about 6 weeks for 4.4i. But depends on the opts you want, it might be possible to locate one that is still at factory lot and "on hold" by other dealers (dealer can hold a car at factory for max. of 90 days before ship to the dealer). They can do a dealer trade/transfer to have the car delivered. Mine was that situation, my dealer did find one was build and still at S.C. for another dealer, but was on hold. They made the trades and I had the car I wanted in about one week.
  • x5fanx5fan Posts: 4
    Today I took delivery of my 4.4 that was ordered on 1/26; $2800.00 below MSRP.

Got Premium, Sports, Rear climate, Nav, PDC and CD chgr.
  • HSYHSY Posts: 2
    Does the 2002 X5 3.0 use a timing belt or timing chain? If it is a timing belt, is 60K miles the normal replacement interval? Thanks.
  • erinx5erinx5 Posts: 14
    Hello Everyone,
    I have a 2004 X5 3.0 without the Sport Package, and I am having second thoughts about not getting it. Does anyone have a 3.0 with a sport package, if so how does it ride? I have heard nothing but complaints on the sport package, but I'd like to find out from someone who knows firsthand with an 04. I sure like that new steering wheel!

~Erin
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,362
    I think you mean 0-60 in 9.3 sec.... :-)

no, it is no sports car, but will handle everyday duties....
  • larssunlarssun Posts: 14
    The ride can be called stiff or harsh. But the
    handling is great. Put a good set of 20 inchers
    with some good rubber on it and you have a AWD sport car with high clearance. Your buying a SUV(SAV) not a Buick.
    Lars
  • davidh1davidh1 Posts: 1
    I just picked up a new 2004 X5. On a bright sunny day with my sunglasses on I cant read the odometer or temperature readings and the radio or computer info is only slightly better. Anyone have similar problems or solutions
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    davidh1 - I've found this to be a common problem in any car that has digital information. On bright days with sunglasses on and the sun in the right position, I cannot read information from digital dashboards. Not sure of the solution, except to turn the car the other way :)
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    polarized sunglasses. :)

-Paul
  • albivalbiv Posts: 35
    Yep! polarized sunglasses. Same thing happens with digital gas pump readouts.
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    Pirelli now makes all season tires to fit the 4.4 19" sport package wheels. They are called Scorpion Zero's. Has anyone tried them? How are they in the snow? I have not been able to find any other manufacturer that makes all season tires in this size. Thanks.
  • joeintnjoeintn Posts: 1
    I am quite unhappy with the new 6 speed automatic transmission. Upshifts too quickly, downshifts too late. Downshift from 6 to 5 occurs at 37 mph, 5 to 4 at 27 mph, 4 to 3 at 17. Any acceleration requires hitting "passing gear" from the old days. Previously owned 2001 X5 4.5 with the wonderful 5 speed automatic--always in the right gear, wonderful engine transmission combination. Anyone else displeased with the new 4.4 6 speed automatic transmission? Any solutions?
  • bankeizenbankeizen Posts: 46
    If you go to the Tire Rack web site you will find a variety of tires available. There is also a Nokian which is not listed there.
  • Elsewhere on the web I've seen posts complaining about the 6 spd auto. Some have problems, others don't. Recently someone mentioned that they were taking theirs in for a tranny software upgrade. You may want to ask your dealer. Hope this helps.
  • shark715shark715 Posts: 380
    Joe, I test drove a 4.4 the other day and noticed the same thing versus the old 5 speed trans. The 1-2 upshift seemed to happen much too early during moderate acceleration, and I found myself pressing the accelerator even harder after the premature upshift slowed down the acceleration. My salesperson is quite a car fanatic and not at all the usual car salesperson who will tell you anything to get you to buy. His theory is that BMW programmed the early upshift in an attempt to raise the gas mileage rating. His theory does seem to make sense. I've noticed that many Mercedes sedans with 6 cylinder engines seem to do the same thing.
  • mrmikemrmike Posts: 1
    I just bought a used 2001 X5 with low mileage about a week ago and the radio isn't quite as robust as I would like. It seems to be basic without DSP, etc. I've check around at shops such as CarTunes and Hi-Fi Buys but they all want to charge a hefty price to install speakers, amp, etc. I'm wondering if anyone has replaced their radio with an after market one and if so which one and are they happy with it? Also, were the speakers replaced as well?

I'd like to get some decent sound without paying a hefty price.

Thanks
  • peterbpeterb Posts: 1
    My X5 lease exp. I had a horrible return exp. Two dealers check it out first and said it was fine, then pick up dealer said they would check out but never did. Finally they pick it up and tell me $1200 in repairs are needed. I had a fit. Complained to BMW who sent someone else out who also said it would be about $1200, but this time for completely different items!!! I complained to corporate, but no response. I was going to get another X5, but felt ripped off and that the car just wasn't worth the dealership hassle. I got the Volvo SUV and it's just fine. Hope this posting saves someone else the pain of dealing with BMW.