Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5

Comments

• skhoslaskhosla Posts: 22
    Is this a good price for a 2004 4.4?

-sk
  • I currently drive a 2004 X5 3.0 W/O Sport Package.
    The vehicle has priemium package,rear climate package,and auto transmission.

How do you set up the radio to automatically lower the volume when coming up to a stop light etc... Does this only work with the CD? Does anywone know how to make this work, or is this only with the upgraded stereo?

Thanks
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,936
  • cadrvrcadrvr Posts: 9
    Anyone know anything about the new '05s? I'm thinking of ordering an X5 but would like to know what changes there will be with the '05 model. I wish I could get the satellite radio and multi CD player. Any info would be great. Also, is it true that if I go with the 3.0, I cannot get the comfort seats? Thanks for any info!
    I have a link for that too, but there's not too many people talking about the X5 over there:

BMW Owners: Future Models

Steve, Host
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    Unfortunately it sounds like your X5 had some damage and the first dealer did not want to deal with it. I think the dealers who check out the vehicle have some latitude as to what they will report and not, so the dealers might have been reporting different items.

The week before I was to turn in a Japanese manufacturered minivan I got hit by a shopping car. I was charged $400 to repair the scratch so I feel your pain.
  • bmwpairbmwpair Posts: 8
    Just got a 2004 X5 4.4 with panoramic roof and dealer-installed satellite radio. Love both features! Multi CD player still located in trunk.
  • toneseventoneseven Posts: 1
    Anyone having recurring problems with Nav System? I have an 03 X5. My system locks up and displays the message, "Please wait a moment" for days at a time. Any ideas?
  • umikeumike Posts: 9
    ok. i am convinced after several test drives and comparisons to the vw treg that the x5 is the one! however, i am still concerned about the cargo room. the extent of my "hauling" will be suitcases (to grandma's), strollers, groceries etc.

can anyone shed any light pro or con as to their experiences with the rear cargo space??
  • umikeumike Posts: 9
    one more thing, has anyone had any experience in putting a dvd player in their X5. should i go overhead or in the headrests?

thanks
  • bankeizenbankeizen Posts: 46
    I had same concerns but after three months of owning the X5 find no problems. Especially like split opening of rear hatch; makes it very convenient.

BTW T'reg is a reliability diaster area.
  • bmwpairbmwpair Posts: 8
    I had the same concern about cargo space in the X5. I have now had the 4.4 X5 for about a month, and have had plenty of space for 3 suitcases to grandma's or a large haul of groceries from Costco. I have previously owned a Lexus RX 300 and an LX 470. While these cars are perhaps a little more luxurious and permit a smoother ride, I found these cars quite uninspiring to drive. The X5's handling has put the fun back in driving an SUV. I highly recommend this vehicle!
  • ft1ft1 Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 4.4 1400 Miles on it, i was driving in traffic when the car died. I also had the engine oil pressure warning come on earlier that week. I was told by the dealer that they have heard there will be a recall because of faulty oil sending units, but no information on why it died. This is my second X5, the first was a 2000, it was mechanically sound but had a lot of other glitches. Anyone heard anything else? i would appreciate the info.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,102
    My Dad transports 2 Great Danes back and forth to work with him in the X5 on a daily basis. Cargo room isn't a problem.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Any one know when the redesign for the X5 will be? If they're going to just make an X7 to offer the 3rd row seats, or if there's going to be an X5L to address the 3rd row option? I'm not finding much info on the topic elsewhere. I can wait till next spring to buy, but don't want to put it of much more than that. I really like the X5; I just have to have the option to cary 6 (2 adults /4 kids + dog)
  • fjoycefjoyce Posts: 4
    Any recommendations for dealers in morris/bergen/passaic counties? Focused on strong service dept. Thanks.
  • mcraigmcraig Posts: 2
    I am currently in the market for an X5 but have newfound concerns based on a recent report of unprovoked airbag deployment. Has anyone heard of any cases of this occuring other than the recent incident in Miami or is this yet another example of media sensationalism? One of the main reasons I was drawn to the X5 was it's excellent safety ratings. Sure would hate to believe the company has actually encouraged owners to keep quiet about faulty airbags with confidentiality agreements upon repair. Any owner's out there had this happen to their vehicle?
    That's news to me. You can search the consumer complaints part of the NHTSA and see if any reports are there. (link)

Here's the airbag story. (CarolinaChannel)

There's one post in here about an faulty air bag connection:

time430 Jan 10, 2001 4:17pm

and this one over in the Problems discussion:

ctk1 "BMW X5 Problems & Solutions" Mar 7, 2001 8:19am

Steve, Host
  • mcraigmcraig Posts: 2
    Thanks for the information. Other than a post in your "Problems and Solutions" forum (also on a 2001 model year X5) I have yet to find any more complaints. Hopefully BMW will expand on their position that "they're not aware of any problems". Sure would like to hear them definitively say there is no problem! Thanks again.
  • irwinirwin Posts: 1
    I'm ready to buy an X5 and I really want a Nav System. When I looked carefully on my test drive I discovered that the Nav has a cassette player behind it and there is no CD player in the vehicle. So, I say that's OK I can live without a CD, I'll get the Ipod installed. But, no Ipod with the Nav system. I can't believe that BMW is so far behind the other manufacturers on this one. It looks like the X5 is the only model that has this deficiency. I'll wait for the 2005 to see if they make a change. Anybody know anything about this?