Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5

Comments

• jigyn1jigyn1 Posts: 1
    I have driven Benz for last 30 years. My current S500 has 152,000 miles and I just want a different car. Never owned a BMW. I have a chance to buy a one owner 2001 X5 4.4 with 17000miles. Looks perfect. Owner says she has never had any "serious" problem, but after reading about all the problems some of you have had, I am hesitant to make the purchase. The asking price is $25K. Was this a particularly bad year for reliabillity?
  • nyeanyea Posts: 12
    please refer to oct 05 consumer reports. bmw has the worest record among all automakers for the 1st and 2nd model years (70+ problems per 100 vehicles). honda and toyota have around 20 problems per 100 vehicles. i think lexus would be a much better choice.
  • nyeanyea Posts: 12
    i can't speak for anyone else, but my two bmw started to have serious problems (over $1000 per reapir) after 50k.
  • JimSUV99JimSUV99 Posts: 3
    I test drove the X5 Sport and found its handling and ride VERY stiff and bumpy. I currently have a Lexus GS, which drives like it's floating on air. The dealer only had the Sport model in inventory and stated that 90% of its sales are the Sports model. Does anyone have the X5 without the Sport option...does it offer a smoother ride and better handling? Will I be making a mistake by purchasing from the factory without the Sport option? JC
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,093
    Stiff & Bumpy are relative terms as far as ride & handling go. First of all, you're coming from a Lexus which for all intensive purposes is a couch on wheels. Second, going from a car to a truck you will feel the bumps more. My Dad has an X5 3.0iA with Sports Package and neither of us (or his Great Dane he bring to work with him every day) think the ride is anywhere near harsh. He drives on the pot hole laden roads in and around NYC.

I would imagine the a non-sport X5 would ride softer and maybe more to your liking.

Funny you should mention that your particular dealer only has SPort Models in stock. My Dad had to special order his. Besides the sport suspension tuning, you get 18" wheels, black trim around the windows, black chrome exhqaust pipes, & the ever so comfy for a long ride SPort Seats with side & knee bolsters.

How come you don't want another Lexus? Have you test driven the RX350?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• JimSUV99JimSUV99 Posts: 3
    I DO think that the RX 350 and/or 400h will offer a smoother ride over the X5, far superior stereo sound (not to mention the CD configuration), and Lexus' quality and reliability are exceptional (RX 350 reviews are nearly perfect). You cannot get wood trim with the 400h, so the RX 350 is my finalist against the X5. When I test drove the X5, I found the comfort seats more comfy than the Sport seats...and loved the headrest adjustment. Will test drive the nonSport X5 and RX 350 and see where I'm at. Anyone else been caught up in the X5/RX 350 dilemma?
  • mexibecmexibec Posts: 114
    Of my last 4 cars, 3 were BMWs: '96 328i, '99 528i and '02 Z3 3.0. Last year, I bought an '06 Infiniti M45 over the 545i. Reason: the M45 drives very well (not as good as a 5, but darn close), all the gadgetry works (Bluetooth, nav, incredible sound system, rear-view camera, rev-matching downshifts, etc) and reliability is among the best (the 545i I test-drove had two flaws: 1) a transmission firmware issue and 2) iDrive). I'm super satisfied with the M45, except that my kids are growing, and I need to carry more stuff, hence I need an SUV. The Infiniti FX45 is not kids-friendly at all: it feels very tight, the door sills are high (young kids can barely see outside) and the car roof line is too low, making access to the cargo area not ideal. On the other hand, the X5 4.4 looks just what I need in terms of safety, space and performance: excellent crash ratings, kids-friendly (roomy, good visility, etc) and enough torque for the SoCal highways. But the interior (from a driver's standpoint) even with Premium & Sport pkgs, feels austere. And the nav is so-so (no voice recognition to state destinations). But it sure drives like a BMW and is arguably the safest SUV out there (strong points for me). But how about reliability? I keep reading all sorts of issues on Edmunds' forums like leaking seals, dead batteries, etc. all of which being non-acceptable when buying a vehicle to carry kids around. I need some advice about the X5 4.4 (recent years, say 2005 or 2006) in terms of reliability. According to Consumer Reports, the X5's reliability has been 'below-average' for years, and just this year it got 'average'. I can accept occasional visits to the dealership (as I always did with my previous BMW), but I need a vehicle that I can count on. So maybe a simple way to ask you: I'm looking for a top-handling SUV, will an X5 let me down with kids on board and can I trust the vehicle? (I know I can't trust any M-B out there). What do you think? Thanks.
  • kbcwalshkbcwalsh Posts: 1
    Year: 2004
    Make: BMW Truck
    Model: X5
    Body: 3.0i Sport Utility 4D
    Exterior Color: Gray
    Interior Color: Gray
    Mileage: 25,378
    Engine: 6-Cyl. 3.0 Liter
    Transmission: Automatic
    DriveTrain: AWD
    Stock: j260277b
    VIN: 5UXFA13534LU33223

Packages - Sport, Premium, Rear Climate, Xenon and Wood Trim

The asking price is $38,475. I was thinking around $33,000. (this is in TX)

Thanks!
    Kelli
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    We have TMV for certified cars too; a similar one to yours came in at $33,264 for my zip code but I didn't enter the options you have listed.

Here's the link that you can tweak for your zip, etc.

Check out the BMW X3: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • yooper57yooper57 Posts: 2
    I want to buy an X5 and was planning on waiting for the '07, but I am now worried about the 3rd row seat change. Should I buy now or have BMW dealers traditionally offered deals at the end of a model year? I live in OC/LA.
  • lukewanglukewang Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking into buying a 2001 X5 with the manual transmission. Can you please share with me anything you can abou this car? I'm very concerned about the reliability but I do not know much about the car. Thanks in advance for sharing!

Luke
  • mxdim2001mxdim2001 Posts: 2
    Hey Nyccarguy,

I was wondering if I can find a BMW X5 Diesel in the USA. I want to buy the diesel option from the US but don't know if there are any available? Can you give me an advice on where to look for one?

Thank you in advance, I appreciate your effort,

Max
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,093
    X5 Diesels aren't available here in the USA :cry: Maybe we can hop that BMW will import them when they give us the next generation X5. The reason why it isn't available (yet) here is due to the fact that Europe's diesel fuel is MUCH cleaner than ours. I think the diesel would be a great option for people who do a lot of highway driving and towing. You get gobs of low end torque and great highway mileage.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Karen@EdmundsKaren@Edmunds Posts: 5,028
    A reporter aims to speak with anyone who has owned a vehicle and found its controls to be complicated. Please respond to jfallonedmunds.com by Monday, July 17, 2006, and be sure to include your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• samdarrasamdarra Posts: 1
    I'm getting a new X5 4.4i next week, I'm currently on assignment in Saudi Arabia, (extreme heat, dry & dusty), any advise/tips will be appreciated

cheers
  • arvin1arvin1 Posts: 9
    :) I have a 2001 bmw x5 and i love it..not one problem yet..

52000 miles on it.
  • autophileautophile Posts: 14
    We've owned 5 new BMW's over the years, and our 2005 X5 is by far the best vechicle we've ever owned. We got it in April 2005 and it has been flawless to this point. A great long trip vehicle--very safe and secure on the road, smooth ride, quiet, roomy, and luxurious for an SUV. We love everything about it. I highly recommend it.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Be sure to report your mileage in BMW X3 & X5: MPG - Real
    World Numbers"
    and see how others are doing.

tidester, host
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    Blogging Bob has some photos and news up on the Straightline. Third row seating will be an option.