Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,974
    "This "SAV" is basically an X5 with a sloped roof (and compromised interior/cargo space). "

Future Friday: 2009 X6 -- BMW Crosses Over...Again

• My wife and I purchased a brand new 2007 BMW X5 a few weeks ago because they finally came out with a seven seater (we have three kids). The first couple of weeks were great. We loved the X5 -- it was great fun to drive, very versatile and well designed, the Head-Up Display is awesome, etc. etc.

Then, the honeymoon suddenly was over! A host of electrical, software and fuel system problems (NO LESS THAN TEN DIFFERENT PROBLEMS -- too many to list in detail here) cropped up. Needless to say, the car is back in the shop for at least three days (for diagnosis only, the fixing will take weeks), a scant three weeks after we picked it up brand new.

This is eerily reminiscent of my horrible experience with the brand new 2006 530xi that I purchased in August 2005. That car was back in the shop THE SAME DAY that I picked it up (burnt out LCD panel, etc.)!! Major feeling of Deja Vu.

Dear BMW, your most loyal customers are the ones who buy your newest models and we do NOT deserve to be treated like this. We are NOT your Beta testing group -- not when we pay nearly $70K for your product. I cannot imagine that the problems we are having would not be immediately observed by your testing team a few weeks after they start testing. Keep doing this to us and you will lose your most loyal customers because you DO NOT deserve our loyalty. We are SICK and TIRED of testing your new models for you because somehow you cannot do enough testing yourself (too eager to start making money on them maybe?!).

You may think we are fools who will not learn from experience and will keep buying and recommending your products no matter what -- but you are DEAD WRONG about this. Take care of your customers and we will reward you for it, treat us like a free testing service and we will go elsewhere.

Yours in profound disappointment,

- A repeat customer
  • tcn2ktcn2k Posts: 277
    Never buy a first year car model of any brand. That is my model.
  • chaddy75chaddy75 Posts: 48
    AMEN. I could not agree with you more. You'd think they'd catch on especially considering they are higer priced than their competitiors.
  • kcml320kcml320 Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I just purchased a 2002 X5 with the sport package(19") rims..Can someone recommend a good dedicated Snow Tire to put on these rims..I also received with it another set of rims with summer tires so I will be using the snows only for winter which is long and hard here in Park City,Utah...I really dont want all-season tires,looking for agressive snow tires(non-studded).What are my options?? Thanks in advance..Kevin
  • Check out www.tirerack.com . there you can select your vehicle and its wheel size and they will give you a list of all the tires that match your criteria and each tires' rating for handling, snow, ride, quietness etc...
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Check this out! Auto Parts Bargains and Coupons

Feel free to add your own to the growing list. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kypreosx5kypreosx5 Posts: 14
    has anyone tried the motorola RAZRV3 and V3i with their X5 and is it fully compatible.
    Also nokia 6233 ?
    I have Razr and it works fine.
  • I took delivery of my 2007 X5 with Premium and sport package on January 20th and have had absolutely no problems with the vehicle itself. It drives like a dream. Unfortunately, this morning I learned they are still working out "some technical issues" pertaining to the trailer hitch kit and while they currently have 1200 on order across the country, there is no release date currently known. Has any one else dealt with this problem and if so how are you pulling your boat? Did you go with after market product?
  • I have been told by my dealership that BMW is still working out some "technical issues" on the Trailer hitch kit and no release date has been announced for this accessory. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? Anyone using an aftermarket hitch assembly to pull their boat they'd recommend?
  • bmwnabmwna Posts: 32
    I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
  • ms09ms09 Posts: 112
    hi,Freddy am shocked to see ur message,the problems u had in ur bmw, am to scare to put my hands on a bmw now,i liked the x5 but since i heard ur problems, there is no way for me to think of bmw now,i'll just go for my favorite cayenne or a gl class,i was also considering a x5 for future but i dont think anymore maybe i'll just check the x6 when it comes in 08 or09.i heard that bmw cars have thechnical problems before, but afer reading ur message im confirm that all the problems are true ..
    Don't let this report discourage you. Get the 2008 x5's. Bmw are amazing.
  • freddybbfreddybb Posts: 95
    This is freddybb again -- BMW of NA did leave a voicemail for me yesterday. Have called them back but not heard again from them.

In response to tcn2k's comment that "BMWs are amazing" -- surprisingly, I agree! I do love the 2007 X5 we have AND I would buy it again! Is that very surprising after the experience with my 2006 530xi and the 2007 X5? Maybe. But the point of my post was NOT to say that BMW does not make cars that we don't want to buy, but that they should respect the "early adopters" who are willing to go out on a limb and buy a new model and put in some more testing to catch issues that at least appear to be easy to find.

A suggestion to BMW -- do you have your engineers use your new models themselves for six months in the real world before you release them to the market? If not, maybe you should consider doing so.

The 2007 X5 with the seven seats is a fantastic vehicle. Drives incredibly well, very well designed inside, feels solid all around, etc. I cannot think of another vehicle in this category that even comes close to it for us.
    but still bmw did have problems , which a high class car should never have ,and there is 1 thing which bothers me a lot in bmw cars which is the speed meters light colors in orange and all around.i think bmw could have the x5 a much better car and a much better design but they want to keep that for the next generation,these days it hard to choose a good car,the most long lasting car i have seen is the toyota land cruiser, its a problem free car for a long long time,is the x5 i quite ride, is there any wind noise,bouncing around, engine sound, is it a smooth car. ???and any idea how good is the cayenne and gl class ???for comfort and smooth thanks guys
    I too love the way my BMW 7-series drives. However, when you pay a lot for luxury and refinement you should not have to deal with constant problems. I also have two other friends that have 7-series and they too have headaches after headaches after headaches. One of them finally got rid of theirs. Was brand new and the engine blew up after about approx. 3,000 miles. Unfortunately BMW did not step in until they had to get ugly with them. It's too bad BMW does not build more dependable cars b/c the drives are always nice as well as the cabins. And you know that Toyota and Lexus put out exceptional cars as far as realiability but they lack excitement.
    U own a 7series as well? i think the toyota lexus will be the best cars to buy, cause i always heard good things abt these cars,and my uncle and dad and many friend own them and they never have any problem with it.

I own a toyota yaris, and i also have a toyota avalon which was my dad car but my now, To be honest i think these high luxury are only for very rich people who dont have problems if there is any problems in the car, Cause they will just go buy another car,and not care much,if u want to play safe i think to buy a toyota or a lexus, if u go for a bmw mercedes porsche there is always a risk ... they make great cars but i think the germans car has a long way to go for reliability.
    I'm with you. Just look at all the consumer reports reviews as it shows Toyota and Lexus as always ranked the highest in realiabilty and dependability.
  • anon3anon3 Posts: 147
    Freddybb writes: "there is 1 thing which bothers me a lot in bmw cars which is the speed meters light colors in orange"

BMW's instrument clusters light up orange at night because scientific studies show that color of light to be the easiest for the human eye to refocus between the road and the instrument panel during night time driving. It's probably not to everyone's tastes, but there is science and not whimsy behind that choice.