Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5

Comments

• anon3anon3 Posts: 147
    I also highly recommend tirerack.com . Their research tools and delivery are excellent. Case in point: I researched and ordered a set of winter wheels for an X5 4.8is (because the performance tires on that vehicle are useless in snow.) The new wheels/tires were delivered to my driveway mounted and balanced 48 hours later (using standards UPS shipping).
  • freddybbfreddybb Posts: 95
    Actually anon3, I (freddybb) did not write that comment about the orange color of the instrument clusters in BMWs. That was written by ms09 in response to my earlier post. I agree with you about the visibility of the orange color and I actually very much like it in both my 2006 530xi and my wife's 2007 X5.

We have now put about 2500 miles on our 2007 X5 and, barring the problems that I have already written about, it is a dream vehicle. Drives incredibly well, corners "like it is on rails" (we have the Sport Package with the Adaptive Stabilization), is very well laid out inside, and is incredible to look at. I would most certainly buy it again over the Lexus (no personality, too soft a ride, bland design, ...) and Porsche Cayenne (man, what an ugly car!).

I also have to say (knocking on wood as I write this!) that after the initial spate of issues with my 2006 530xi, it has had absolutely no problems and is a total joy to own and drive. This leads me to believe that after BMW debugs the start-up issues with new models things tend to get a lot better. At least I hope I am correct about this and don't regret this conclusion!
  • ms09ms09 Posts: 112
    thanks for the reply , i had no idea that orange lights were easiest to see. scientific studies show color of light to be easiest for human eye,?something new for me anyway thanks, (and freddybb)hey i saw ur messages that cayenne is a (ugly car)but not every1 says its ugly including me.
  • r_smithr_smith Posts: 1
    What is the gvwr for the 2007 X5 3.0si? Some sites lists it as 6,327 lbs, while others (carsdirect, yahoo auto) lists it as 5963 lbs. I cannot find it on the official bmw site. Thanks.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    scientific studies show color of light to be easiest for human eye

I don't think it's quite that simple but, if anyone is interested, this article is ... well ... illuminating. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • anon3anon3 Posts: 147
    It is quite that simple: the color choice wasn't a style choice; it was purposefully selected. The point is that BMW studied how light color affects the human eye when it refocuses between an instrument cluster (near object, relatively bright) and the road (distant object, relatively dark) during night driving and in conditions of driver eye fatigue. They picked the color that produces least stress on the eye when looking between the road and the instrument cluster. These nuances are important at autobahn speeds (driving over 100mph on a dark highway for example), which is what these vehicles are designed for.

I just don't think most people are aware of the depth of experience that goes into even the seemingly simple features of a vehicle. Buy a European performance vehicle and you get the advantage of decades of cumulative performance engineering experience in every facet of the vehicle.

The Japanese manufacturers only recently started focusing on performance engineering in their main-stream vehicles. So they copy as much as possible from the Europeans in an attempt to catch up. (Toyota rips apart and studies a dozen BMWs each year to figure out how they were designed. I have seen those vehicles out in a storage yard after they were dissected.) But something is always lost in the translation.
    The bmwusa website lists the unladen weight of the 2007 BMW X5 3.0si as 4982 lbs.

See http://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/X5/30si/techdata.htm
  • rfightrfight Posts: 4
    We too have a new X5. I am just wondering what your problems were.?? I was driving down the interstate and the vehicle died. Then it wouldn't restart. Tried about 10 different times as I waited an hour for the tow truck. Had to get it towed to the dealership. Now it is up and running again but the dealership can't find the problem. I certainly don't want to be stranded on the roadside again. Is my problem similar to yours?
    Thankfully I have not had any problem as severe as yours (the car dying on the road), Mine were mostly electrical and software issues, including hunting at idle with a warm engine, the 6-button control panel flashing on and off, the BRAKE (not PARK) light coming on erroneously, etc.
    Thanks for the fast response. I'll post again when they tell me what the problem is.
    well very strange second x5 now i read,had problems and brand new,,,
  • cefuscefus Posts: 45
    Hope you guys are ready for an exceptional vehicle that will be coming out soon. This X6 (E71) will blow the doors off the hinges. Its going to be an awesome car in performance and looks. Im impressed!!
    I do know as well that the x6 well be a great looking car, suv crossover i think, i found some images but theyr all different so i dont know which is the rite pic, have u got any pics u can sends, it will be muchy better looking than a x5 :)
    Here we go again. Local service at dealership nor the corporate BMW could figure out what happened with my new x5 dying as I was cruising down the interstate. So I took the care back and guess what, next day it did it again. Back in the dealership. Hopefully they will have answers this time. This car has 5000 miles on it. I'm afraid I am just the first of many that will experience this problem.
  • mexibecmexibec Posts: 114
    I stopped by this forum to get a feel of the new X5. I have an Infinity M45 and Nissan XTerra, and was wondering if the X5 would be *THE* vehicle that would combine the luxury of the M45, the practicality of the XTerra, and solid reliability (I have three kids after all and no time to repeatedly visit my BMW dealer!) Your (great) post pretty much answered all (thanks!) As a former (but-no-longer-loyal) BWM owner ('96 325i, '99 528i, '03 Z3), I finally think I figured out what BMW means in English: Beta Motor Workshop...
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,681
    If the pictures I found are what the X6 will look like, BMW can keep it. I like the more usable space in the X5. Check out the sleeked out R class Mercedes. They cannot give them away. An SUV needs to be that, a utility vehicle. Not some sleeked out wannabe SUV. Right now I am leaning toward the GL MB. I want to like the X5 as I have several friends that love them. If I can find a dealer in San Diego that is willing to let me drive one I would be interested.
  • cefuscefus Posts: 45
    The photos that you are seeing are not the final look but a very heavily camo covered car, it is not the crossover car that you spoken of.
    Its a very nice car, I have set in it and down some work on it,the car is still in proto type mode, and so things change on it daily. And my overall impression of it is very good. I think it looks alot better then the Merc or the Lex.
  • Uggghhhh! I just bought my first ever BMW in January 2007. It's the new X5, loaded. Has 5000 miles on it now. Was loving it until last night. Driving down the road and a light came on "Steering Malfunction!" Steering or hydraulic fluid pouring out of the engine area onto the road. Managed to get it back to my driveway. Today is Sunday, will call for service first thing tomorrow morning. Is this the first of things to come? Kind of depressing. I hope my experience with BMW service is acceptable. Stay tuned...
  • Hello,

I have an '01 X5 3.0 Sport with about 80,000 miles on it. Frankly, there isn't a thing wrong with it - I've had all the scheduled maintenance done and the thing is in perfect shape.

I'm trying to decide whether to sell it soon or hold it for another 20,000 to 40,000 miles. It's long since paid for, and while I admit that it is nice to have no car payment, it seems to me that I need to become aware of what will happen to the value over the coming tens of thousands of miles.

In other words, it might be more financially advantageous to sell it now, when it is worth, say, $19,000, than to wait 20,000 more miles when it will be worth very little.

Intuitively I suspect there is a perceived value dropoff at 100,000 miles. Does anyone have any intelligence as to the value curve over time on these that would help me make a good decision?
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,986
    Good question.

The True Cost to Own tool just goes out 5 years (and at this point only goes back to 2003 X5's).

But it may show you some trends, like the depreciation curve is getting shallower.