Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5

Comments

• lokchalokcha Posts: 5
    Yeah, I'm using an X5 with the sport package. Although I've never driven one w/o sport pack, I must say my car drives very well at high speeds on curvy mountainous rds. (for an SUV). On top of that, the sport pack makes the car look very nice. On the other hand, many passengers, (esp. rear passengers) complain about the harsh ride. I must say, personally, the car isn't as comfortable as say a Range Rover, but drives much better. My advice: if you don't drive the car often on curvy roads or you tend to drive in a relaxed manner, don't order the sport pack, just the 19ich alloys.
  • kflanarykflanary Posts: 15
    He Lokcha,

Do you drive a 3.0 or 4.4? I've heard the sport package is harsh on the 4.4, but that the 3.0 is a lot soother. Do you have any input? I recently changed my order from a 3.0 on-sport to the sport. I hope I did not make a mistake.

Others input is invited.

Thanks
  • lokchalokcha Posts: 5
    Hey,

I am driving the X5 4.4, but I've never driven another X5 other than my own - so really I can't say much about the difference in sport package for the two engines. Sorry! Actually what do you mean when you say you've changed your order from a 3.0 on-sport to sport? What is the difference between on-sport and sport?
  • kflanarykflanary Posts: 15
    Hey there,

Thanks for the info. the on-sport is a typo!! Meant to say non-sport. I hoped no one would catch me on it!! Sorry.
  • jaggyjaggy Posts: 1
    Hello all.

(I posted this early yesterday and it didn't come up for some reason, so I am reposting. There were more posts on this topic since I wrote it, but I'm still not sure what to do, so here goes):

Like Jan above, I have a related Sport Package dilemma, albeit with an order for a 3.0 that I just put a deposit down for. Here's the deal: hands down, I think the bigger 18" wheels look much better on a car with such a large profile. In terms of my driving needs, I live in Los Angeles and don't ski, so snow isn't an issue. Most of my driving will be freeways and city streets, not winding mountain roads. As far as any handling issues, a friend who is a sports car enthusiast told me that any benefits from the tuned suspension/air springs/auto leveling of the Sport Package would probably not be felt that much in normal driving circumstances; that it would only be a difference at the point when the car is really being driven on edge and about to lose traction. Keep in mind that I am not coming to the X5 from a Porsche or even another Bimmer, but rather from (don't snicker) an '89 Suzuki Sidekick. (It's for sale, but don't all clog my email box with offers, and no, I didn't just win the lottery).

I've test driven both, and didn't really feel comfortable pushing the handling aspects of the cars to any extremes with a sales person in the car, so I couldn't tell any handling differences. But I definitely could feel the ride difference; you feel every bump with the Sport Package. It's not terrible, but I just don't want to be sorry down the road (so to speak). So my tradeoff would be aesthetics (+$2,500) vs. smoother ride.

Three questions:

1. What are other's opinions on this tradeoff?
    2. Would it be stupid to spend about the same amount to just get bigger wheels without the Sport Package (assuming that most of the ride differences come from the suspension and not the wheel size, although tell me if I'm wrong)?
    3. Did anyone out there move up to the X5 from a more pathetic vehicle than a Suzuki Sidekick (and is willing to admit it?)

Thanks!
    jaggy
  • thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    I do not own an X5 but an ML 430, but I understand your dilemma, your friend is rigth, you will not get the full benefit of the sports suspension because as you indicated you will not push your vehicle to the limits, on the other hand you will feel every crack and hole on the road, I think you already know the answer or you have missgivings, go for the softer ride. I would, even if it means slowing down more on the curves. The ride does not comes from the tires but the suspension, later on you can buy bigger tires if looks is a concern, I was faced with the same problem with my Porsche, 17 or 18 tires, I wanted the 17 because the softer ride but the only thing available was the 18. And lastly, dont be shy about the salesman, you are the one paying and having to live with the car, tell him what you are thinking and you want to try it out seriously, take it for a long ride and find you all kinds of situations where you can get a good feel, don't make the mistake of pay first to try later, find out exactly which one of the two you like.

Good luck
  • dennettdennett Posts: 332
    http://www.bimmer.org/x5/messages/messages/34714.html- You have to question how in the world running over a cone could cause nearly $800 in damage, obviously poorly designed shifter linkage.

http://www.bimmer.org/x5/messages/messages/34139.html- 2 day old X5 catches fire while parked in garage!! What the heck is that all about???

• bmw_julybmw_july Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice Lokcha. I have probably already made up my mind for the non-sport, but a few more pointers in the right direction makes my decision so much easier. My problem is that the first X5 that I took for a spin was a 4,4 with the sport-package. The feeling of driving that vehicle was awesome and not the bouncy feeling that I had experienced with an ML320 that I'd tried before. - Today I've got an Audi Quattro V8 and I haven't owned an SUV or truck before so this was new territory for me. - The X5 felt just like a regular car but with the SUVs positive sides. The non-sport X5 feels great too though so I am sure that I won't be dissapointed, but still...

If I - like Jaggy - had lived in LA and my driving therefore mostly would have been on good roads and no snow/ice I would have gone for the X5 with the sport-package. Even more so if the 3.0s suspension is softer than the 4.4s. But that's just me. I guess Thor8s input of trying them both out seriously is the best advice. Unfortunately for me there are not very many X5s around in Sweden yet so the chances of trying them out are not that many. It's hard to find an X5 at the store and impossible to buy it at sight since there's a waiting list of 1 year plus. - This has lead to the strange effect that prices on used X5s are actually equal to or even higher than on brand new ones...- Lucky for me my salesman could arrange with an X5 to be delivered in July -01 instead of December -01. I was offered the spot, jumped at it and thereby cut 6 months from my waiting-time.

If anyone has an opinion regarding my earlier question about handling with ordinary on-road tires vs. terrain m+s tires I would be grateful for your opinion.

Jan
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    Perhaps you could ask your tire question in the Tires, Tires, Tires discussion topic in the Aftermarket & Accessories message board. Someone may be able to assist you in there.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,030
    ...but I'm dropping by to see if any BMW owners would be interested in having an Owners Club on the Owner's Club Board. As of now, the BMW folder is empty. :-(

Let me know if you are interested!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• jjripleyjjripley Posts: 1
    Looking at a 3.0 X5 in Texas.

1) How much over invoice should I expect to pay for one on the lot?

2) How much over invoice should I expecy to pay if I order one?

Thanks in Advance!
  • chrisd5chrisd5 Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new X5 4.4i - fully loaded - with the exception of a few basic options; however, I noticed that the Puddle lamps (located on the base of the side parking mirrors were missing. Does anyone know if this feature was recently eliminated (or added) to newer models?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,627
    X5 pushes up BMW first-quarter sales 9 percent

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• spfoteyspfotey Posts: 131
    Does anybody know of any changes (look, features, paint colors etc, etc) that will come with the 2002 model??
  • jbulljbull Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 X5 3.0 purchased in Sept 2000. I didn't go for the sport package since as noted by some, it's bumpy on many city driving situations. I found the non-sport package to be more comfortable all the way around and with AWD and the BMW suspention magic you can still drive this car very hard. I find the 3.0 engine and drive train very smooth with a wide range of power. During my first several weeks with it, I had to pay close attention to keep below 80, since you just don't feel your going that fast. In sport transmisssion mode, passing response is very good, so I don't miss the 4.4 liter engine and the fuel it burns.

This is a great on-road vehicle and my first BMW. Is it compromised? Sure; cargo space, and a few ergonomic items, seemingly standard to all BMW's. However, for me and my family, which I sometimes let ride in it, it fills a nice gap between family sedan, sports coupe and big SUV.
    Performance, comfort and beauty in a single package is hard to beat.
  • gloriadgloriad Posts: 18
    Hi all, I'm the new kid on the block. I will be purchasing an SUV next month for business use but am having a difficult time deciding which one. I prefer a smooth and quiet ride. Don't need alot of space it's just for me and hubby and no off-roading. Test drove the Sequoia LTD--nice and tight but big and not good on gas mileage; ML320--OK ride with noisy engine not real peppy but good pricing; X5 3.0--very nice and tight and peppy but pricey. Haven't driven the Escalade yet but I hear I can get for the same as ML. I can live without leather but I do want automatic trans and automatic seats. Anyone know of any deals anywhere in southern cal? Thanks for any help and insights.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Posts: 890
    Just curious, why do you want an SUV if it's just you and your husband and no off-roading? If you're primarily looking for a smooth and quiet ride and gas milage is somewhat important, you would probably be happier with a luxury or sports sedan. If on the other hand you're mainly after the SUV "look" because they're considered the "cool" thing right now, and still want a fairly smooth ride and decent gas milage (for an SUV) I'd probably look at the RX 300 - it looks the part while minimizing the disadvantages. Or "pay up" for the X5 and enjoy it's tighter handling and better road feel. As you say decisions, decisions...
    Thanks for your reply. For business deduction purposes I need to purchase a vehicle that is over 6000 lbs. GVW. The RX300 is not heavy enough, neither is the Acura MDX or the Infinity SUV.
  • speedpedalspeedpedal Posts: 1
    I know exactly what you mean. My wife and I have been shopping for about a month now for a vehicle that meets the section 179 deduction, and the X5 is rated 5 pounds over the minimum (smile), while the others, as you mentioned, don't qualify.

We put a down payment on one today (our first BMW)... Black on Black '01 3.0, certified, with 6,000 miles... activity, climate, CD changer & in-dash single player, heated steering wheel, no premium or sport package... after 2 weeks of dickering with the dealer here in Louisville, the best we could do was $41,500 and the 4th year of free maintenance thrown in at cost ($349). A little high..? don't know... just know my wife and I loved driving it and believe after the tax advantages we will come out ok in the end. Also loved the MDX..great value and nice ride... but eventually was swayed by the crash testing results for the X5..if you've ever watched that video, you will come away realizing the BMW is extremely well-built, which is what you want when some yahoo comes racing at you through a red light while your kids are in the back seat...

Best wishes to you in your search.
  • rkuehnrkuehn Posts: 120
    OK, I know how to get the automatic transmission into Steptronic (manual) mode, but what is Sport mode I've seen referenced. After several test drives I keep forgetting to ask. Does it make a difference?
    Thanks for your reply. I am swaying towards the X5. I just hope I can find a dealer that is willing to get closer to invoice price in the southern cal area. Good luck to you in your new X5.
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    I think that finding anything close to invoice price on the X5, consideirng that it is a hot vehicle right now, is extremely unlikely. In So.Cal, it may be impossible from what I have read.

Good luck though,

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • kabbalahkabbalah Posts: 41
    It is very hard to get a sizeable if any discount here in Southern California on the X5. I just picked mine up this past weekend, a loaded 4.4 that I ordered through a BMW fleet dealer (in LA). I did get a small discount off of sticker, and I would be happy to recommend this guy to anyone interested. I have purchased a few vehicles from him, and I always get a fair shake with no hassles. E-mail me and I will be happy to refer you to him.
  • mox1mox1 Posts: 24
    Could U pl give us some details about this section 179 allowing business deduction if your vehicle's weight is above a certain number. Can you deduct the whole price of the vehicle or just mileage? thank you in advance.
    The vehicle must be over 6000 lbs. GVW. For tax year 2001 the max deduction is $24000 the first year, if you use the vehicle 100% for business. The minimum business useage is 51%. To get more info do an internet search under Section 179 Business Deduction. The X5 qualifies as does the ML320, Lexus 470, Suburban, Expedition,Excursion, Escalade, Navigator, Land Cruiser, Sequoia.
  • camilecamile Posts: 2
    I see where you are considering the 3.0i. Does the X5 with this engine top the 6K lb mark? It is about 250-300 lbs lighter than the 4.4i and may not... I am also working through this issue before buying a new vehicle.
    The X5 3.0 does qualify. You add the vehicle weight plus the max payload to get the GVW which is 6005 lbs. What other SUV's are you considering?
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,627
    About those locking lug nuts....

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I was just wondering when the new, more powerful version of the X5 was coming out. Ive seen concept photos and they look pretty good. Will it be based on an "M" version?, like an MX im guessing. I also heard that BMW will make a larger "SAV" called the X7, is there any truth to these roomers?
  • gtharpe1gtharpe1 Posts: 1
    Purchasing 2001 X5 Memorial Weekend. Anyone know of a reason to hold for the 2002? Maybe indash CD Changer? Other features/improvements/revisions?