Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW X5

Comments

• cc44cc44 Member Posts: 2
    Hello.

This may sound like a weird question, but I have a question about BMW X5 4.4's engine sound.

Maybe people who know alot about engines may answer this better:

Sometimes when the engine is running, I got out of the car, stand right infront of the engine, bring my ear close to engine compartment (with the hood is closed) and I listen the engine sound.

I do this when the engine is cold, when the engine is hot, when I first start the engine in the morning, when I first start the engine after not using it for couple of days.

The reason why I started to do this is that, sometimes I hear "extra" sounds coming from the engine compartment.
    Sometimes I hear this but other times I don't. This sound is not loud. You need get really close to engine compartment.

Forexeample, I think I hear belt sound. But this is intermittent. Especially in the mornings I hear this belt sounds. To ask if this sound is normal, I took the vehicle to BMW dealer. They said that the engine sound was perfect. But I think when I was at the dealer the "extra" sound stopped.

This is a new car with only few thousand miles on it. Is this normal to hear little "extra" sounds from the engine from time to time? In the mornings? When the weather is so cold? Is there a correlation between the "belt" sounds or any other engine part sounds with the cold weather or hot weather, in the mornings when the temperature is low?

If you sit in or drive the vehicle you can not hear anything. My engine performance is great I think. In the mornings it starts excellent. My only concern is the little "different" sounds coming from the engine compartment from time to time when you stand close the engine and listen the engine sound carefully.

Does this happen to you? I just want to be sure, because this is an expensive vehicle and if there is something wrong with the engine and I am driving it, I may later have major problems. The the service says "ohhh! how could you drive this vehicle like this???, You should have brought it to us before. Now you have to pay $$$$$$ !! (Big smile on their faces when they say this.)"

But I did and they say there was no abnormal sound.

Please keep in mind that, when you are sitting in the vehicle (when the vehicle is standing or moving) I can not hear any abnormal sound. The engine sounds completely normal. But when I get out the car, get my ear close the engine compartment (with the hood is closed) SOMETIMES I can hear some "extra" sounds like (I think) belt sound. The engine sounds always sounds normal but sometimes I hear "extra" sounds. Is this something to do with the cold/hot weather? Cold start in the morning?

Thank you very much to all of you for your time.
    Your answers are important to me.

John
    :-)
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    The "extra" sound when it's cold could be a faster idle while it's warming up. Extra sounds when it's warm and the air is on is the electric cooling fan kicking on and off. My X5 is great, I'm really enjoying it - only about 2,200 miles on it so far, only seem to be driving it on the weekends for some odd reason. I'm going to try to put more miles on it.
  • brianinvegasbrianinvegas Member Posts: 53
    The local dealership has a 4.6is in the showroom. Sticker is $68,000 and change plus they are asking $6900 after market mark up for a total of $75,000 +.

The 20" wheels look great but I'll stay with the 4.4i and 19" wheels for a lot less money.
  • rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    Heck yes - I'll be sticking with my X5 as well - What color is 4.6? I have an Estoril Blue 2000 M Coupe, a matching 4.6 X5 would be cool. The 4.6 would look hot in Imola Red with a matching Nappa leather interior as well. I'd be alot more interested in an M5 instead of the 4.6 X5 for that kind of $$$. Makes me wonder who will buy those 4.6's.
  • lazuralazura Member Posts: 43
    I have a delimma that I'm hoping somebody could assist me. I am interested in purchasing a 2002 X5 3.0, but I don't want to take delivery for a few months because I'm trying to sell one of my other cars. Also, I would like to 'lock in' on the great lease rates that BMW is offering this month (63% residual/3 years, .00190 money factor), even though I don't want to take delivery until February or March. Therefore:

1) If I 'order from the factory' a X5 to be built based on my selected options and colors, about how long before it will be ready? Also, what kind of security deposit is required up front?
    2) If I select to have my X5 built based on my preferences, can I still lease instead of buy? Also, can I 'lock in' the current lease rates in December even though the car may not be ready until Feb. or March?
    3) I live in North Carolina, therefore can I drive to the X5 plant in Spartanburg, South Carolina to pick up my X5 rather than pay the $645 destination fee? $645 seems like an awful lot of profit for the dealer to drive a car from South Carolina to North Carolina.
    4) Has anyone else on this board tried this 'order from the factory' option rather than purchased a vehicle that has already been built? IF so, did you get a better price closer to the invoice amount since the dealer didn't have to carry the inventory on his lot?

Thanks.
    It was black with black interior. Not the best choice for our hot summers here in Las Vegas.

This months Car and Driver mag has a 2 page ad with a red 4.6is X5 in it. Great looking. The 4.4i has great power as it is, 50 more hp and 1" bigger tires are not worth the extra $16,000 to me. The 20" wheels don't look as sharp as the 19".

Be curious to see how it sells with that extra $6900 of pure profit. Vegas was built on on upping the other guy so I'll bet that 4.6is has already been sold. I saw it last Wednesday; went out of town for a 4 day weekend.

Oh, the M5 looks awesome!!!
  • coolmatt44coolmatt44 Member Posts: 54
    I have delt with Princeton BMW in Princeton New Jersey, for years, even before I lived near by. They have wonderful service, and just did some extensive renocations. Hope you find what you are looking for there.
  • mrr60mrr60 Member Posts: 11
    lazura: I was in a somewhat similar situation as you were. I needed to be able to get the X5 in March 1 and I ordered around the end of Nov./first of Dec. I odered the X5 to my preferences for leasing with the understanding that I can't pick it up untill March 1st. I didn't get much of a discount. At the time the X5 was in high demand because of the recent release that it was one of the safest SUV's out there. The dealer basically held the papers and timed it so when the order was sent in it would arrive by the specified date. The lease deal that was going on at the time was to expire on Dec. 31 but so long as I put the deposit down that would be the deal that I got. Did it work out? Not really. The car ended up coming 2 weeks early. They said I had to take it or they would have to sell it to someone else(I would get my $1000 deposit back though). I took it anyway. Happy with the car. I would talk to the dealer though as to what would happen if itcame early the way mine did and have it writing. Don't know about picking it up in the factory but it sounds like fun. Destination charges is a flat fee and is the same whether the factory is next door or 3000 miles away. Good luck!
  • jammylingjammyling Member Posts: 7
    I was going on various local NJ dealer sites and requesting quotes over the past week. Like some posters above, i too am leasing for first time and have issues. Bottom line, bmw offering money rate @ .0019=great deal!
    For MMARINO, try Open Road BMW, thats who i went to. This is what they gave me without haggling or issues...(cheapest out of NJ dealers thus far)
    x5 3.0
    premium pkg, auto trans, xenon, cold weather pkg...42 months $550/month 0 down. $2,200 below MSRP. I can take delivery up til end of Feb. as long as paperwork processed before Dec. 31. As of today, normal delivery for custom order is within 4 weeks they say.
    Dealer asked for $1,000 fully-refundable deposit.
    Don't know about avoiding that delivery charge, i'm sure if u went to th plant, they'd still charge that $645 for driving it up to front parking lot from the assembly line.

In any case, if you've been seriously contemplating picking up one of these beasts...
    I suggest everyone on the fence should jump on the bandwagon ASAP, rates will go up after 31st!!
    IF anyone got a better deal, let me know!!! I haven't put down deposit yet so not too late to switch dealers!!!
    THANKS, hope it helped!
  • dsurowiecdsurowiec Member Posts: 6
    Unfotunatley I had to have my X5 towed to the dealer due to a faulty thermostat that was causing the engine to run very rough, spitting and stumbling all over itself. Anyone else have these problems ?
  • stealthbomberstealthbomber Member Posts: 10
    although for a minor problem - the A/C manual vent controls didn't work and I could not control air direction to windshield, center or floor properly. fixed now. car does drive like a dream (for an SUV).
  • donlinodonlino Member Posts: 39
    Just picked mine up and love it. Now, to figure out how to use all the cool toys.
    I found out from a dealer that the $645 destination charged cannot be waived because it is an 'average' of all shipping charges for BMW, regardless of the location of delivery.

With living so close to the Spartanburg, SC BMW factory(where the X5 is built), and looking to order an X5 rather than by a currently built one, I am in an advantagous position. I am about to send out a purchase request to every BMW dealer in the country for an 2002 X5 3.0i. Since I am doing all the work (researching, listing all options, picking up vehicle myself), I really don't even need a dealer, except to spend 5 minutes keying in my order on a computer screen. Therefore, I am only offering $500 over invoice for the vehicle, which seems like plenty of profit for 5 minutes of work. I wish that BMW had a web site to directly order the vehicle from the factory and skip the dealer 'middleman' entirely. Also, all correspondance can be handled via email, faxes or priorty mail. Also, the first dealer to respond will get my leasing business also (with $0 cap cost reduction).
  • smarty2smarty2 Member Posts: 6
    Live in Northern Va.close to DCA and MD and am willing to travel anywhere on east coast for a deal on a 3.3. ARE ANY DEALERS GETTING CLOSE TO INVOICE? I am finding the price on a used BMWX5 very high in this area so that it does'nt pay not to get a new one in color and options of choice. I want a blk on blk with prem. pk,cold weather,prem. sound, zeon lights. I would also not mind a few other options like lumbar and park distance control. I am not a leasor of cars, have always payed all cash. Am I crazy to do this with so many lease deals ect.? Also, is everyone still in love with this SUV? My husband thinks I am crazy to pay as much for any SUV when you could have a really great sedan like the Jag for the same $$$.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    No.
  • tom00tom00 Member Posts: 11
    Just test drove a 3.0 w/ prem, rear climate, cold weather, xenon and will lease it for 39 mos later this week. I also looked at Tahoe, Sequoia, & ML500. All 3 are good vehicles, but my wife liked the X5 best. May be a little tight on vacation.
    BMW's lease rates are great now thru 12/31 and apply if ordered by 12/31. X5 was at least $150/ month less than Tahoe and Sequoia and about $200 less than ML. I looked at X5 in October and rates have dropped about $250.
  • sdeamesdeame Member Posts: 14
    What are you paying per month? What is down? Anything off MSRP? Residual value? etc...

I am looking for the same vehicle.

Where are you located?
    i got a 39 month lease for about $600. total down is about 1750 which includes 1st month, $600 security deposit, and other fees i'll find out 12/20. Residual 60-63% and around 2,000 off msrp. I'm in Charlotte, nc. email me tom@metrolinacr.com for more details.
  • wjc23wjc23 Member Posts: 11
    Let me know if you get any hits doing this. I'm in Atlanta, and am able to pick up in Spartanburg too. I understand that it's difficult to get this price b/c even if you pick up in Spartanburg that car goes against the dealer's allocation for the month, so they will not sell it to you if they could otherwise sell it for more. On the other hand, to the extent supply is greater than demand, someone might bite. I'd be interested to find out. Thanks.
  • hpia4v2hpia4v2 Member Posts: 62
    Tom00, are you suggesting that Lazaru will get "HIT" by dealer like in the head for suggesting $500 over invoice, just kidding guys.

Well I shopped for my X5 4.4i 3 months ago in Seattle area, bad place to look for bimmer. Only 3 dealers in area so not much competition, the best I can get was $1750 off the MSRP or around $3250 over invoice. I am sure you can do better now since the economy os still in it's descending path. Now $500 might be a little hard to get, not impossible(On 2001 model is very possible). The reason is that BMW just like any other mfg has a system that send more cars to dealers which sells the most cars previous month. If dealer only sell 1 X5 last month their allocation only 1 also for next month. So this will balance the supply and demand curve. IF a dealer can only sell 1 X5 last month and BMW send 10 X5 for this month dealer might sell a couple of those at $500 over invoice just to move them. In any rate this is the best handling SUV/SAV out there until porsche comes along(that is still yet to be seen by the way).
  • kfmaster99kfmaster99 Member Posts: 5
    I am seriously considering buying either a X5 3.0 or a ML320 (other possibilities are 525 and C320 wagons). The motivation is that these two are the best rated in IIHS tests and heaviest mid size SUVs (Rx300 rate highly, but weights 1000lb less) and I believe in a two vehicle accident, the heavier car will fair better. While testing drive a ML320, the sales person insists that cars are safer than SUV. He insisted that MB engineering had determined that a C320 is safer than a ML320. In a single car accident, this may be. But if a C320 collides with a ML320 head on, I would say the Ml320 will come out way ahead. What do you all think? Any data on this?
    responded under the ml heading. Personally, i liked the ML better but got X5 for my wife. It is an execllent vehicle and if you can live with the limited cargo area, get it. you will not be disappointed.
  • offset_98offset_98 Member Posts: 31
    Have about 3500 miles on my X5. Love it so much I will be buying a 330i in March. Just to throw a few things out there about it right now...
    It rides sooooo smooth and it is very quiet. I looked at the ML when considering but the interior of the X5 is far superior in my opinion. One thing I am a little disappointed about is power at highway speeds. At 85mph there really isn't much power above that. Sure it will get up higher than that, but it takes a while. I couldn't get it up over 90 on a hill here in So. Cal. and was disappointed when an F-150 breezed past me...and no, it wasn't an SVT. But then again, I didn't buy it for that reason. Comfort is great...I have PP, Xenon, Auto...wanted SP but dealer said I would have to wait until March(!) to get it!! So I took it without. I paid below sticker but not much. I was a little disappointed with the dealing of 2 separate dealers. I think they figure since they're BMW they have so many people wanting to buy them they don't have to deal. But I got what I considered a somewhat reasonable price so I'm happy.
    I have contacted a few dealers and the best offer I have received so far is 5% over invoice for a 2002 X5 3.0 (about $2000 over invoice). Based on previous posts this is about average, but the problem I have encountered is that the BMW dealers are not being honest about the leasing terms (big suprise, huh?). We know that BMW FS is offering a .0019 money factor and 63% residual on this vehicle (3 years, 15K per year), but the few dealers I have contacted refuse to give me these numbers. Instead, they insist that these rates are from BMW FS to the dealer, which lets the dealer charge anything above these lease numbers to increase their profit. Obviously, I stated that they are already making over $2000 profit on my potential purchase and therefore I want the lease numbers offered by BMW FS. But, no dealer has moved yet on their leasing stance. But, I'm going to wait until this weekend when they are really trying to increase their sales numbers because I refuse to lease the X5 at the dealer inflated numbers.
    Please let me know what results you end up with. I'm in the same boat as you. I want to obtain the attractive lease rates, but there is no urgency on my part to buy unless I get a good deal.
  • bst00bst00 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased BMW X5 3.o silver/gray.
    I can definitely rate this car as No.1 in SUV.
    However, I still miss the ride/drive quility of BMW 530. I am maybe not a SUV guy....
  • autobrokerautobroker Member Posts: 19
    I am trying to sell a friend's X5 4.4 in Southern CA. He moved out of the country and I offered to help him sell the car and get a few more bucks than he could get on a wholesale basis.

Even though I am an autobroker of new cars, I am not trying to solicit any of you. Just want feedback.

Car is listed for $41,900 which appears to be lower than most used X5s out there. Would like to sell for $41,000. Here are the vitals: 2000 X5 4.4 in Pearl Beige with Pastel Leather. Activity Pkg., Xenons, Premium Sound, In-dash CD, Sunroof. Mileage is high at 35,000. I realize there are some negatives but it is a great car. There has been no serious activity. Car is in perfect condition. What am I missing here? Thanks for your feedback.
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    I agree with you in some respects. I recently bought a 4.4 sport, came out of an Audi A8. I miss the sporty, yet supple ride of my A8, the amazing acceleration, and the subtlety of the big sedan. I like my X5, drive it hard (9k miles since 9/25) and enjoy some of it's "SUV" like abilities (I like it's handling a lot more than my wife's ML430), great exhaust note, good looks, but am not in love with it. I may not be an SUV guy either.
  • dealmkrjjddealmkrjjd Member Posts: 32
    BST00:
    I am a SUV guy! I love the the higher seating height and the ability to get through almost anything, but I long for a little more performance. I was actually thinking of giving my Land Rover to my wife and getting either an X5 4.4 with sport pkg or the A8. I know they are two totally different vehicles, but since you have had both what is your opinion? Also, is the sport pkg extra harsh in town, I live in Chicago where our roads are full of pot holes? Thanks.
  • dealmkrjjddealmkrjjd Member Posts: 32
    Sorry my last post was for bertram60.
  • 4u24u2 Member Posts: 17
    In the next couple of weeks, I am buying/leasing either the BMW X5 3.0 or Cadillac Escalade AWD.

I have gathered from reading countless reviews the following strengths and weaknesses of each SAV/SUV.

BMW
    Strengths
    -safety
    -handling
    -interior

Weaknesses
    -cargo space
    -tailgate design
    -choppy ride

Cadillac
    Strengths
    -powertrain
    -passenger and cargo space

Weaknesses
    -interior
    -fuel economy

Any feeback is appreciated, especially from any owner/lessee who considered these vehicles. I
    welcome all comments.
  • tinlittletinlittle Member Posts: 21
    I believe your asking price is too high. The 2001 X5 was offered with $2500 dealer cash and .00195 lease rate. That translates into a similar equipped 2001 model with a selling price for around $46000 brand new ($1000 dealer profit since it is year end model). And the low lease rate helps with a lower monthly payment.

You are essentially offer a 2000 model with 35000 miles on it that is only 10 percent off a 2001 brand new model. If you ask me, you should take another $6000 off and I might consider it.
    I have the 4.4i with sport package and 19" wheels. The ride is not harsh but very solid. Made 4 trips to San Diego from Las Vegas in the past 8 weeks and hit some very bad Calif. roads. Can't imagine taking any other vehicle on that long trip.

The wife and I also have a '98 Vette and a '00 4x4 Silverado so we wanted a firm ride with great handling.

Test drive a sport package before you buy though.
  • bertram60bertram60 Member Posts: 113
    The ride height is one real advantage to the X5, and as I live in a flood zone, it was one of the reasons for switching to a higher vehicle (I couldn't bear to take my A8 through 2' to 3' of water in the roads, although I have had to do it). The utility of the truck also exceeds that of the Audi (not by much though). I have equated the ride of the 4.4 sport more to that of a Porsche, as it's handling is very good, no lean or sway, and the ride is very firm, but not really harsh (although I might worry about it in extreme cold if we had that weather). The two vehicles are almost diametrically opposed. The X5 screams to be noticed, has a very raspy, sporty exhaust, and is a very high profile vehicle (IMO) as compared to the subtle (albeit dated) looks of the A8 and the pure silence of the car. Materials in the A8 (interior and exterior) are by far superior in quality to that of the BMW. Fit and finish are flawless and acceleration is amazing (especially when you consider size and weight). My car had warm weather package (insulated glass, and solar sunroof) which made it silent inside that car at double the posted speed limits. One of my biggest adjustment was actually hearing the motor and road noise in the X5.

I loved the fact that the Audi was such a low profile car (i de-badge all my cars),and a relatively rare sedan (2,500 per year total production with 1/3 of that coming to the US) capable of triple digit speeds with very little drama, amazing grip, and the very best materials inside.

Had my dealer not tried to close out his model year with a bang (raping me in the process), had the right model (S8) and color combination been available, i would have bought a new S8 from them instead of the X5.

I do not regret buying the BMW and enjoy the truck a lot, but it's no love affair, my heart was stolen by the Audi, and when the new version of the A8 debuts in '03 i will probably switch back.

The BMW is a lot of fun to roar around in, but for long trips, give me an A8.
  • jmpattersonjmpatterson Member Posts: 3
    Like you, I am running into the red tape here in Charlotte, NC. Trying to get the dealer to give you the details on how they derive their total numbers is like pulling teeth!

However, here's the best deal they are willing to do until 12/31 on a 2002 X5 3.0 in stock (or can be located):
    Residual - 63% (3 yr. 15K)
    Money Factor - .0019
    $2000 above "hard costs" (dealer's invoice)
    Fees- $300 (MACO), $600 (PAC), $725 (lease acquistion)

Bottom line: $634/mo. with $1,763 at signing

If anyone has any feedback on this, I certainly would appreciate it.
  • dermdoc1dermdoc1 Member Posts: 1
    The money factor and residual are as I have been quoted in Southern California. $2000 over invoice sounds good. Which options did you choose for your vehicle, and what was the invoice price?

Thanks
    The BMW dealer is trying to squeeze even more profit out of you. First of all, the lease acquisition fee is $525 (direct quote from BMW Financial Services), not $725. Also, I'm not sure what the MACO and PAC fees are, but I'm assuming these are dealer prep or advertising fees. You should refuse to pay any dealer prep fees and advertising fees are negotiable. Also, go to the site below to enter your lease numbers to arrive at the payment amount to compare to the dealer.

http://www.mjhb.com/lease/

• ttc136ttc136 Member Posts: 17
    Anyone know whether vehicle buyer has to pay so called "luxury tax" on purchasing a vehicle more than certain value, say 38,000 ?
    I live in Oregon, and don't know whether it applies or not.
    Can someone point out a light?
    is there any website has this info ?

thanks!
    Since this is the site for the X5, I'm assuming you're asking about an X5? If so, there is no luxury tax on SUV/SAVs (according to the BMW dealership) because the IRS (believe it or not) does not consider X5s "luxury vehicles" but "utilitiy" vehicles.
    I stopped by my local BMW dealer today to order an X5, and he informed me that BMW is raising all the X5 invoice prices starting on Jan 1, 2002. Does anyone know if this is correct or is the dealer trying to squeeze more profit out of me with this tactic? For example, the dealer informed me that the 3.0i base invoice will increase from $355170 to $35560. Also, the option packages are also going to increase. The dealer also said that the MSRP may not change, just the invoice prices, which of course if not true, is another way to squeeze the consumer. Just want to make sure my dealer is on the up and up..
    This is correct (or at least what I have been told by a reliable source) - the invoice price is going up 1% but the MSRP is staying the same. This is why I am going in tomorrow (12/31/01) and place an order for a 2002.

BTW, if you don't mind me asking, were you able to get the price you wanted or did you have to concede? Email me (MikePatterson@carolina.rr.com) or call me - I have a few questions for you off-line if you don't mind.
  • scargo160quickscargo160quick Member Posts: 63
    Yes, this is correct, the prices and lease factor will increase effective Jan. 1.
  • autobrokerautobroker Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for your response/comments. Were you referring to an X5 with the 3.0 or 4.4 engine? This car has the 4.4 engine. MSRP when new was $55000 +/-.

Hope you were referring to a 3.0. I would hate to think I need to take $6000 but I appreciate your feedback.
    Had to work to get the .0019 money factor. Went with 42 mos., 15,000 miles per year.

Premium package, rear climate, xenon, automatic. $45,820 MSRP

Lease is $577/mo.

$600 Security Deposit
    $577 First mos. payment
    $330 Processing Fees

$1507 total initial payment
    I did the same. The dealers were reluctant to give the .0019 money factor, but I was persistent. I have a $587 payment, but I had to pay about $500 in advertising and doc fees. Even though I hated all these fees (including the lease acquisition fee), getting a 2002 X5 for under $600 month with NO money down (except for required amounts - deposit, acq. fee and 1st payment) is still a good deal. But, since I decided to order mine from the factory, I was hit by the 1% increase in invoice costs starting 1/1/2002. I ended up getting about $1800 off MSRP and based on previous posts, that is a decent deal.
  • vlevitovlevito Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am considering buying a X5 3.0 that was used as a dealer demo. It has about 4500 miles and it is a 1991. What kind of discount should I demand given these two facts?
  • scargo160quickscargo160quick Member Posts: 63
    I would buy that 1991 X5 3.0 at any price dude. Those are SO hard to come by. So rare in fact, that I have never even heard of such a thing until just now!!! And just 4500 miles of driving in 11 years (must have been to and fro the prototype garage! LOL ;)
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    MACO fees are legit. Don't fret over it. Even Edmunds says you should expect to pay such a fee. What they don't want you to have to pay is the cost of local advertising by the dealer.
  • nobadeernobadeer Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I am thinking of getting an X5. Currently own a mid-90s Explorer, which for all of its various faults, does have a lot of rear cargo space -- about 5' wide, x 3.5 feet in length from the passenger seats back to the rear tail gate.

How does the X5 compare? I like the look, but do need some space back there. I can't find the rear cargo dimensions anywhere, and hope some X5 owners can help out. Everyone publishes their cubic feet dimensions, but that can be deceiving if there is a high roofline. For me, the square footage is key. The X5 looks to be a little shorter than my Explorer in terms of distance from passenger seats to the rear hatch....

Thanks for any info!