Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Porsche to buy

Comments

• chanderchander Posts: 21
    Habitat1
    Was all set to buy a new Cayman-s, but a low mileage C4S-'03 is available,would that be a better choice for the north east.appreciate your advise.Thanx
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    A C4S would probably be better if you got caught in a light snow. But I still contend that, unless you get snow tires, no 911, Cayman or Boxster is a good winter snow car. And even with snow tires, an AWD C4S still has low ground clearance.

Between your choice of a new Cayman S and 2003 C4S, there are a lot of factors to consider - new car warranty, comfort, preference for the way the car drives/feels, etc.
  • Habitat1 gave you a good response. But it will be difficult to compare a 03 to a 07 or 08. There have been some major upgrades. The Cayman is a great car, and shares a lot with the 911's. You really need to compare the Cayman with at least a 05 or newer 911. One thing to consider is if the used one is certified, you can stretch the warranty, actually longer than a new one, as the certified is a warranty and not a service contract.

You should drive the Cayman or a Boxter for some distance to check the comfort, especially if you are 6' or taller. The seat simply does not go far enough back, and cannot recline like a 911. If the Cayman fits, you can find a heck of a deal on 06's.....they are taking a hit.
  • bulletheadbullethead Posts: 40
    Greetings: I have sold my 2002 M3 convertible and my 2003 530i sedan so that the wife could get a Volvo XC-90 V8 for hauling around the kids and dogs...I am left with a mint 2000 Toyota Landcruiser and a void in my heart for a nice toy car... I am looking into the merits of a late model 1999-2003 911 Cabriolet (I believe the "version" is called the 996 in Porsche parlance). I would be most appreciative of amy general guidance that I could gain from the learned members of this forum. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    BH
  • skobolaskobola Posts: 207
    Bullethead, I am in the same type of pondering! I thought that I will get myself a Targa, as it is not that common as the others, but then started reading about the 911-series, and have found that most Porsche enthusiasts think that the best one to have is a "plain" C2 with no additional stability controls, 4-wheel drives and such. Of course, there is a number of people who would gladly go for Turbos, which are insanely powerful, however, I believe that they are rather an overkill, because it would be very difficult to enjoy all this power in the US provided the traffic laws. Also, in that respect, even a "plain" C2 is plenty fast, powerful, that is, enough to put you in jail.
    Of course, there is a number of people who still prefer the air-cooled ones, which ended in 1998, type 993. Interestingly enough, the 993 looks pretty much close to the current 997 models, which are the 911-types from 2005 till now. If I would go for an old, air-cooled one, I would probably opt for the Strosek body, as it would add a very different look and thus make it more "special". Let us know what you have decided, or at least, I would like to find out.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I thought you were doing OK until you mentioned Strosek. They are beyond hideous. Why anyone would spend so much money to destroy a Porsche is beyond me...
  • trometrome Posts: 17
    I had been shopping for a new car for over 4 months and considered everything from a 335i, 535i, 01 911 turbo, G35 coupe and even an E350. I have owned 4 other 911's over the last 12 yrs and deep down I knew that was the only car I would be happy with. I wanted a 997 but finding one at the price I wanted to pay was challenging! I am in Miami and my local S. Florida dealers simply did not want to deal. As it turns out I found a black/black 07' 997 brand new and got it for $66,800 (74.8 msrp). I am thrilled with it and would recommend it to anyone. Dealers should be discounting 07s by 10% or so. If your local dealer won't, find one who will. Igot tired of looking on autotrader.com and seeing some dealers asking 65k for an 05' with 25k miles. Get real!
  • ehlehl Posts: 1
    BH,

In case you are still looking... Each 911 generation has its own personality and all provide a great driving experience. The 996 although a “water cooler”, is more comfortable and slightly bigger than the preceding generation. I would stay away from 99-2001 MY, Porsche had some difficulties with rear main seal leaks, an expensive repair if out of warranty! For 2002 and up the 996 was revised with a new front fascia (looks better in my opinion) wider track, turbo headlights, much better exhaust sound and more HP. I have owned several 911's and again, they are a blast to drive. I like my 02 for its looks comfort and power. By the way the 02-04 MY is not completely off the list when it comes to RMS failures, mine is on its second RMS. Whichever model you choose insist on a pre-purchase inspection by a qualified independent Porsche service center or dealer. Take your time looking , there are enough 996 models out there so can afford to be picky. Good luck
    That sounds like a great deal. But I'm surprised you were able to find a car with virtually no options? The lowest MSRP price on a 2007 911C2 I've seen at my dealer is pushing $80k, and it was still considered a lowly optioned car, without nav, leather, sport chrono, or any of the other common options. About all it had was xenons, power seats, bose, metallic paint, from what I recall.

I got about 10.5% off my 2005 911S Cab 2 years ago and have been happy ever since. Enjoy your ride.
  • Probably not a very safe assumption to assume that because someone ordered a C2 with a Base Price and Destination of $73,260.00 and Triple Black in Miami that all Dealers are quite as desperate to find a home for their Sport Cars...
    Actually I am surprised that they didn't discount it more... ;)
    Well, I am not surprised with your opinion, as I went through a number of contrasting opinions, i.e., some people like it and some don't. I see it as making my Porsche different from others, and possibly not make it recognizable as an "old" (pre-1999) model. Also, my understanding is that Strosek also seems to increase the price of the car, so when one draws the line, it seems like a good option if one can get it for a reasonable price.
    Actually I am surprised that they didn't discount it more...

Back when I bought (September 2005), it was a lot easier to get a bigger discount on a loaded 997 than one with minimal options. And when you look at resale values, a base 911 holds its value considerably better than a loaded one, especially one with customized interior colors, etc.

So I commend anyone disciplined enough to go for a black base C2 coupe at $67k. And if the Florida dealer had any sense, he might have looked at swapping it for a loaded, lighter color 911 up north. My dealer had a priswtine 2005 black/black C2 coupe with 20k miles with minimal options that sold for $59,500 as soon as it went on his lot. Friend of mine went to look at in on a Wednesday and by the time he took his wife back on Friday, it was gone.
  • trometrome Posts: 17
    Actually my car does have the power seat option and nothing more which is exactly as I would have wanted it. I can't stand the manual seat adjustments. The full MSRP was $74,959 and I paid $66,800 plus tax and tag. can't complain for a brand new 07' with zero miles
  • Thanks to all for your guidance on this topic... from what I have gleamed, for the 996 model, I should stay away from anything that is in the 99-01 years period. Since I don't want to spend more than say $40k, I guess I have only the 2002-3 model years to look at...

One other question for this esteemed group: When I was at my local dealer looking at a 2003 911 cabo which was right next to a 96 911 cabo on the showroom floor, the dealer informed me that the cars were the same price - $50k... why would I want to pay $50k for a 96 911 cabo with 50k miles on it when the 2003 with 20k was the same price - what am I missing in the logic here?

Thanks
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    Many Porsche enthusiasts prefer the 993 to the 996. They consider the 996 too dumbed down - soft and comfortable at the expense of performance. I remember the first time I drove a 996, I thought it felt more like a Honda Accord than a Porsche 911.

Many would also argue that the 993 is better built. Higher quality materials and sturdier (pre-CAD) design make for a Porsche that is over-engineered and will likely perform and last longer than the 996.

Look at the used Porsche market to see how much in demand clean 993's are - they command a price premium over the newer 996, in spite of their age and mileage. The 996, like the Boxster, is something of an also-ran in the Porsche lineup - there are still a lot of enthusiasts who think that it isn't a real Porsche unless it's air cooled.
    Trome, where did you get such a good deal ($8k below MSRP)? Can you share the name of the dealership or whatever other information that you are comfortable sharing. Just for your reference, I would not even want the power seats, just a plain C2 with metallic paint, which MSRP would be $73,885.
    Thanks.
    With all due respect to fedlawman, I think he is being excessively harsh on the 996.

While it is true that many long time "enthusiasts" prefer the 993 to the 996, a big part of the resale value equation is supply and demand. I don't have the actual production numbers handy, but at the time they introduced the 996, Porsche also considerably ramped up production and export of the 911 to the US. It's a lot harder to find a pristine 993 than a 996.

The 993 was the last of the air cooled 911's, giving it a sound and feel that is more "raw" than the 996. However, in actual objective perfomance, the 996 was hardly a step backward. In fact, the power and torque of the 996 Turbo exceeded what was possible in an air cooled engine, and allowed for modifications which further increased the output. A friend's former 2002 Turbo, with some "easy" modifications, had 550 hp and torque at the wheels. It was capable of 0-60 in the mid 3's and a sub 11 second quarter mile, both on par or ahead of a Carrera GT and well beyond what could be achieved in a 993 Turbo. Not much in common with a Honda Accord in that ride.

Subjectively, the 996 got knocked for perhaps the worst design revisions of the 911 evolution. The "fried egg" headlamps, narrower rear end (on non-turbo models) and a few other design features made it look less distinctive and attractive than the 993 in the eyes of many, yours truly included. Fortunately, the 997 regains the round headlings, wider stance and a much improved interior over either the 993 or 996.

As a classic, semi-collector's car, the 993 will likely continue to retain its value better than the more prolificly produced 996. But if you are looking for a car to drive daily rather than to take out on weekends to Porsche car club events, I think a 4-5 year old 996 (with an extended warranty) might be a better bet than an 11-12 year old 993. Especially if they are the same price.

Lastly, the other urban legend is that Porsche quality suffered, post air-cooled 993. The 996 did have the RMS leak problem, but that should be able to be warranteed over, if you are considering a 2003 model. But, with an 11+ year old 993, as well built as it was, you are on your own for repairs. And it has only been in the last 2 years that Porsche replaced Lexus in the top spot on JD Power's IQS list.
  • ydvydv Posts: 2
    this may have been discussed before (my apologies). I am trying to decide between a 911 carrera and cayman s. A demo or slightly used carrera (07) is mid 70s it seems while a new cayman s is mid 60s or so (maybe a little less).

curious to hear peoples thoughts on this.
    My dilemma in September 2005 was between a 911 Cab and Boxster S. I ended going with a 911S Cab at about a $35k premium over the Boxster S. The 911 works for our entire family (2 daughters 7 &10 at the time), which was a big part of the decision. However, the 911S (355 hp) was also considerably more powerful than the Boxster S (280 hp) and you could really feel the difference. The Boxster S wasn't significantly quicker than my former S2000. The 911S was in a different league.

The Cayman S is a great car. If you are single, and/or never want to carry more than 1 passenger, it would certainly be a fine choice. And now with 295 hp, it narrows the gap a bit. But the 911 is a great car and I have never looked back. Test drive the heck out of them. It's really a decision only you can make.
  • kelfkelf Posts: 83
    What are the exact differences between these two models beyond the price?