Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala heavy oil consumption

124»

Comments

• m_engineerm_engineer Posts: 2
    Same problem for me. Second time. 2008 impala LTZ with 3900 V6 and active fuel management. We do a lot of town and some highway driving. Car operates in 3 cyl mode a lot of time. Could the non-active cylinders be letting oil past the rings because there is no combustion pressure to seat the rings? I know the system switches between groups of three to avoid fouling the plugs. I cannot find any evidence of external leak and no obvious smoke emissions from exhaust. Sure would like an anwer from Chevy technical people.
    ·
  • m_engineerm_engineer Posts: 2
    Forgot to say mileage 49000
    ·
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Posts: 2,109

Could the non-active cylinders be letting oil past the rings because there is no combustion pressure to seat the rings?

I know the system switches between groups of three to avoid fouling the plugs. I cannot find any evidence of external leak and no obvious smoke emissions from exhaust.

Sure would like an anwer from Chevy technical people.

The most common cause has been the use of products that did not meet GM's engine oil specification. There was a lot of noise that served to confuse consumers and even shops over the years. The claims of "equivalent to" the actual spec even were used to shout down technicians who tried to get the word out and some "experts" even tried using the angle that requiring "special" oils was nothing more than a money grab by the manufacturer and the shops. GM's 6094M and 4718M specifications were obsoleted in 2010 and superseded with the dexos specification which then went all the way back to 2004 models. The correct products that truly met the manufacturers specifications reduced piston ring deposits (among a dozen other requirements) compared to products that only met the API and ILSAC specifications.

Compression is not required for the oil control rings to do their jobs.

Articles like this one http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/do-i-have-to-use-the-manufacturers-oil.html (and take special note of the Valvoline representative's comments about the GM dexos requirement ) served to support consumers choices to just go for cheaper products. Today Valvoline has reversed their position and now have a licensed dexos product. http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands

·
124»