Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala heavy oil consumption

1235»

Comments

• katz69katz69 Posts: 2
    Just had my second oil change since November 2012 as indicated by the "change oil soon" message. This makes the second time I was told that no oil showing on dipstick. I have a 2009 Impala LTZ 3.9 liter with only 60,000 miles....something is bad wrong here as this car should not be using that much oil!!! Looks like I am losing some through the exhaust..... I am very disappointed! This is my third Impala I have owned and never seen anything like this. Sad to say...getting rid of it soon to trade in on a new 2013 Ford Explorer. Goodbye GM, I am done!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    katz69,
    Have you already gotten this evaluated by a dealership to see what may be going on? If you want for us to follow up on this with your dealer (if involved), please send us more information via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and a summary of the situation).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Hi Sarah,

Well they finally found out what is wrong with my 2008 Impala 3.9 and hopefully this will resolve the problem. Its something to do with the vavles , I'm thinking valve seals or valve guides. Well they taking the vehicle Monday 8th of April and keeping it up to a week. I will keep everyone updated once the job is done. Oh yeah I lost about 2 qts. in 800 miles according to oil consumption test.
  • marvinlee1marvinlee1 OregonPosts: 43
    Car companies are capable of building low-oil consumption cars, and most do. High oil consumption on recently-engineered cars reflect bad engine quality that the dealer and manufacturer often prefer to ignore. Some engine problems that can exist to cause high oil consumption include: Worn engine boring tools on the manufacturing line. Mistakes in engineering such as specifying non-optimal piston rings. Out-of-tolerance parts such as pistons and rings. Leaky oil seals. Distorted engine block. Mistakes in machine-tightening of cylinder head bolts at factory. Yes, factory production machines can go out of tolerance. Incorrect cylinder honing at factory. Occasionally, though less often in modern engines, the engine block may have been poorly designed. Etc.

Any car other than professional racing cars should easily get two thousand miles per quart of oil. That level of normal oil economy includes domestic brands, foreign brands, and pickup trucks. Excessive oil consumption threatens the environment, adds owner cost, and increases customer inconvenience.
  • Hi ImpalaPete76,

I don't know if you're still on here at all but I have an Impala LT '08; bought it brand new and has the same problem you describe with your Impala 09. I'm thinking of taking it in to have it looked at. I've been scared since money is tight but something needs to be done. My Mom and I want to go on a trip for Thanksgiving to visit family and I'm afraid to drive the car on a long trip (being 2 women alone). Was just wondering what the outcome was of your vehicle? Was it resolved? Is your car running OK now?

Hope to hear from you.
  • Hi Sarah,

I am experiencing the same problem with my Impala LT 2008. Oil consumption issue; my Mom and I want to take a trip to visit family for Thanksgiving but I am scared to take it on any long trip (690 miles there and back). It sounds as if the problem must be 1 or more displaced valve seals. It's the only thing that makes sense. No leaking oil, no smoke from the tail pipe. So there isn't a leak and it's not burning oil. It has 59355 miles on it; have barely driven the car. Change the oil regularly and always have since the day I bought it brand new. Was shocked when I took the car in for an oil change and the technician tells me there was no oil on the dip stick!! What?!?!? I take care of my elderly mother and I cannot risk taking this car on a trip and having it break done when my Mom has a heart condition. We just paid the car off too... :( Cannot believe it!!

Please help...
  • Well the out come of the vehicle was the valve guides were bad they replaced them a couple valves and spark plugs because they had oil on them , that fixed the problem. If your vehicle is still under warranty have them do an oil Consumption test this will determine how much oil you loosing. When I did mine we drove down to NYC in which is about 350 miles from where I live and in total 700 miles , do not add oil if you do this but if the engine fails it's not your fault you will just end up getting a new one if your under warranty, besides the point I lost 2 1/ 2 quarts of oil and they fixed right away, I ended up trading it in for a 2013 Buick verano.
  • Thank you so much for responding to me so fast! That is so strange I was thinking about trading it in for a Verano as well but didn't want to start having a car payment again since I just paid this one off. My Mom and I want to drive home to Jersey from South Carolina. Since the car is now out of warranty I'm going to take it to local mechanic that works on engines and see if he can fix it for me :)

By the way how is the Verano working out? I've heard that it also has engine problems and that's what steered my away from it besides having payments.

Thank you again for your input! You've been a great help!
  • my 2008 LT (50 year anniversary) went thru the oil comsumption test for several months. another issue came up causing the engine light to come on and they found some very "minor" leaks i think around the manifold. while they were in there they finally tracked down the problem of losing oil - seals around the valves? not positive what the actual items they fixed but whatever they finally did fixed all the problems. plus it increased my gas mileage! luckily i had an extended warranty so that covered all the work - about 2 grand worth of work. i now have 70,000 miles on it with no further problems.
1235»