Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Tacoma

Comments

• bobadbobad Posts: 1,587
    I sat in 1 last Saturday. The salesman said it was a PreRunner, and it was among other PreRunner's. It was way taller then the little Taco, and appeared a little wider. It had no suicide doors that I recall. Maybe I just didn't notice them.
  • Does anyone know if the v6 used on the 2008 Tacoma is a interference engine or a non interference engine ??
    One doesn't normally worry about interference on timing chain engines. Usually, a timing chain gets noisy and gives you ample warning before failing. If ignored, timing chain failure can cause catastrophic damage.

Here is a link that may help, but is mostly geared to timing belts. http://autorepair.about.com/cs/doityourself/l/bl_timingbelts6.htm
  • i have a 2008 tacoma TRD double cab this truck has 1000 miles on it i was in the drive thru with the brake on and in a heart beat the truck took off with burning and smoking tires i could not stop with the brake all the way down until i hit the car in front of me this not human error because i was already stopped with my foot on the brake just like anybody would at the drive thru toyota put this truck on the computer and said nothing is worng i will not drive the truck until i get answers would you does anybody have any ideas
  • rocklarockla Posts: 12
    there you go.
    www.pickupspecialties.com/poplock.htm
  • Very disturbing. I have noticed with my Tacoma, when I have been in traffic stopped behind someone, my truck has surged a little. I thought maybe it was still cold and maybe hadn't hit idle RPM yet. Remember thinking, glad I'm not back in MN on some ice.
    Probably fuel injector pump problem. I'll have to keep my eye on it and check for Technical bulletins or recalls. Hope they realize it might just be your truck afterall and will admit to some liability, but I doubt it until it happens to more people. Hmm...
  • this was a total nightmare to me toyota said nothing was wrong they had tight lips for 40 days with no answer and the dealer where the truck was located had tight lips also i got the dealers commission involved with no answer my last chance was to have the dealer buy the truck back from me which they did at a large loss but i just could not drive this truck again PS they will tell you the brief surge is normal which it could be but not like what happened to me just be careful because because the day before this happened to me i was at a red light and thought someone bumped me but it was the surge that you are talking about and then the real rocket took off the next day what year is your tacoma
  • I purchased a 2008 Toyota Tacoma in May 2007 and have had no problems with this truck with the exception of one. I live in the NE where winters are cold and park my truck outside most days. Once colder weather began with temperatures below freezing all my windows freeze shut and I cannot open any windows. This is so bad, that even with running the heater for a long while (over 30 minutes at times) - windows stay frozen. I have taken truck back to dealer (where purchased) several times but they have not been able to fix the problem. Dealer has said this is their first complaint about this type of condition and upon checking did not find any service bulletins about it from Toyota. Dealer has applied silicon to windows edges but no luck; they did this one day and the next morning - windows were frozen again. This problem is really bad, and it doesn't have to be any inclement weather to occur. As long as there is moisture in the air and temperatures are low - windows freeze up. I park my car at a lot where I use a key card - the frozen window causes me to open my door, unlatch my seal belt in order to use my card to get into lot; this I informed the Dealer is a Safety concern; I can see the accident report on this one. Has anyone else experienced this problem and what did you find a fix. :cry: I would really like anyone who has experienced this condition to reply to this posting.

Open to all recommendations; THANKS!

Tucker15
  • Only a matter of time before it breaks !
    My driver side broke 2 weeks ago. I took it to the dealer and explaind what a nuisance this has been. With power windows; there's really no way of knowing if its frozen or not untill you push the switch, and once I did I heard a snap.
    Something broke off inside and now my window goes up half-cocked.
    Anyhow;
    My service tech said they would look at it, If it was a Manufacturer defect it would be under warranty. Well, They called me back later and told me they had to order parts to fix the lifters that broke in the door panel. It will be covered under warranty (Because I'm such a great guy ? or manufacturer knows about this and admitted liability?? not sure, didn't ask.)
    They called, the parts came in .
    I was supposed to take it in last saturday to get it fixed but i was busy.
    This saturday the 23rd it should be fixed, I will ask questions and repost afterwards..
  • I just bought a 2008 Tacoma access cab TRD sport 2wd. Starting at 40 mph it starts to make a noise. It seems to be coming form the back of the truck. It sounds like it could be the tires. It sounds like I am at the beach. The sound is annoying. However, nothing else is wrong with the truck. The factory wheels are bridgestones, should i switch to a road tire? Any other suggestions on the noise coming from the access cab?
  • I too bought a 2008 Toyota Tacoma. I live on Cape Cod and park mine in my driveway. No problems at all with my windows freezing. Good luck to you!
    thechad1,

Is this your first truck? Trucks can be a little noisy.

That said, I haven't heard of 2WD Tacos making a lot of noise. It could indeed be the tires, in which case just crank up the stereo. :)
  • It is my first truck...just sold a 350z. I love the truck. It drives like a car but looks like an off-road warrior. I apprecitate the advice. the noise is loud but I am getting use to it. DO you know if mid-size trucks are noiser than large ones? My friend has a V-8 dodge ram 1500 and it is not near as noisy. the engine is louder but the wind noise is not as bad as the taco. I test drove a similar Taco and it did the same thing at 45 mph.
  • FROZEN WINDOWS;

Yes, this has been happening to me (in MA) too, the last few storms. One storm it was both windows, while the last two it has been just the passenger side. They open after I do the switch on and off a few times and stress them out, and the inside has been heated up a bit. I thought this was strange. Hopefully will get better over time (only have unit about 45 days so far).

NOISE FROM BEHIND:

This is common with the Access cab due to the weird space that there is behind your rear doors where they meet the back of the cab. Hard to notice, but next time you are outside your truck go look at rear part of the door (access door) and see how you can put your hand way up in there.

Other than that, these are great trucks !
  • Well, I got my window fixed last saturday.
    I asked the service tech why the windows would freeze up as they do
    and what makes them any different from other car windows (as my 03 cavalier) which dont have this problem. his response was blatent as he pretended to be
    overwhelmed with amples of work (but then again, I dont blame em, work'n saturdays really stinks)
    so as far as I know, it just does..
    But heres the service statement as promised..

Later !

--Edit.
    It just occured to me,
    after checking out the lining of the window I noticed it has a layer of felt (or some other fabric) which seals the window,, My cavalier is just rubber.
    maybe the felt is the culprit in this design flaw??
    Chad,

I think JohnWill may have hit on the problem. That big gap can do 2 things. It can get air turbulence causing a boomy sound, and it can allow tire and exhaust noise to bounce off the rear of the cab.

In my truck, I think it's mostly tire noise, because on smooth roads the noise is greatly reduced. When the roads are exceptionally smooth, I can hear some exhaust noise, but little road noise. When I hit a stretch of rougher road, the noise level goes way up. I have basically street tires on mine. If you have grips, even small ones, it's going to be at least a little worse than mine.

I have the 4cyl automatic Access cab, and I also like it because it drives a lot like a car. As I said, it's very smooth and quiet on good roads, but not nearly as quiet as my wife's car. I do get a lot of engine noise on hard acceleration, but that's because it's not well insulated. There isn't even a hood blanket. If I wasn't so lazy, I would stick on some Dynamats to reduce the engine and road noise. :D
  • Tucker15,
    I have also experienced this problem with my 2008 Tacoma. It has happened several times this winter, and I just dealt with it, because as soon as it warms up outside it's fine. But I'm in Virginia and not back home in Minnesota where this would be a real inconvenience.

Mike
  • Hey fbassi,
    Sorry it took so long to respond. For a while there wasn't much traffic on the site, but maybe it's picking up, that would be cool, nice to hear other Tacoma stories. I have an 08 with the V6. It seems like the surging has subsided, but it's always in the back of my mind.

Bolide
  • tacojimtacojim Posts: 1
    I purchase a 2008 taco , 2.7L 4cyl engine,Access extended cab, Jan 30 2008. From the first time I drove it (test drive at dealership), I complained about what sounds to me like wind noise. They told me to bring it back and have someone at the shop drive it (I haven't done that yet). It is an annoying sound. For me it sounds like it is coming around driver and/or passenger door or window area.

I don't think what I am hearing is wheel noise from the rear. Anyone hear similar sound? Otherwise, I love the truck (I drove a 1990 nissan pickup for 18 years. The Nissan was great, but no comparison. I am getting 21-22 mpg on mixed speed 30 mile commute to work.
  • I just got a 2008 DC Sport Taco and I am wondering if the Mother's Carnuba Polish is any good. I am looking for an easy polish with great protection and shine. I would also like this polish to be "powder free" and not leave behind powder on the windshield and stuff...thanks

Hawaiian Sunshine...
    groovyfreak,

Didn't Toyota give you a bottle of wax? Check your glove box. The last 2 Toyota's I bought came with a bottle of their sealer/wax. It's as good as any I have ever used, and goes on very easily.

If not, any carnuba based wax is fine. It's harder to use then the instant waxes, but lasts much longer.
  • I checked and they didn't include any wax! Maybe they forgot or did not want to endorse any more?

Thanks for the response, aloha!
  • We bought a 2008 Tacoma in 12/07 and last week it decided to drive itself into the back wall of our garage. Front-end damage and wall damage to our house was pretty significant. My wife was driving into the garage when it took off and kept going despite her slamming on the brakes and the truck brakes chirping on the cement on it's way up the driveway, through the garage to the wall. She told me about previous surging issues on the highway after this incident. Watch out!
    I would like feedback from the other person that forced Toyota to buy the truck back. Where are you located and how far up the Toyota chain of command did you have to go?
    Thanks!
  • nedzelnedzel Posts: 787
    Like every other similar incident, I strongly suspect that she accidentally slammed on the gas, not the brakes.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Posts: 519
    I was curious about this Surging issue. So I devised an experiment. It was interesting and easy. I did it in an empty WalMart parking lot. It only takes 10 seconds or so to try it.

1) Find a spot with NOTHING ahead of you for a hundred feet.
    2) With Engine running, put left foot on brake.
    3) Shift into Drive
    4) With left foot hard on brake, press accelerator to the floor. Hold for 3 seconds. Release the accelerator.
    5) Put it back in Park and think about what happened.

How fast did you go? In my vehicle, the answer is zero MPH. I traveled zero feet.

My conclusion - the brakes are MUCH more powerful than the engine. This is true in almost any car.

What's going on here? I do know this - my Highlander has the accelerator farther to the left than any car I've ever owned. Plus, the brake pedal is at least two inches further left. Stepping on the brake pedal makes my right leg contort uncomfortably. Also, the brake pedal is raised to be an inch or so closer to me than the accelerator. This forces you to lift off the accelerator, keep lifting up another inch and half, move your foot 3-4 inches to the left, and then step on the brake. The Nissan Rogue, to pick one, has both pedals father to the right; has the pedals closer together; and has both pedals closer to the same height.

So, is this a surging issue? A brake failure issue? A design issue? Or....?
    Many folks would be surprised at how many people brake with the left foot. That's asking for it.
  • desmo29desmo29 Posts: 1
    My 2008 Access Cab 4 cyl, 4 speed auto has a very noticeable vibration when in gear, while at idle and under way. When in neutral it is quite smooth. The truck has 4500 miles on it and has been back to the dealer twice. I am told it is a characteristic of the truck. Anyone else with this problem?
  • I purchased an 08 Tacoma in October and just recently experienced the same surge issue. I was on my way to work when I slowed to pass a construction crew. When I hit the accelerator, after passing the crew, the truck took off on me and I ended up in a rollover crash. Fortunately no one was injured and the truck sustained minor damage. The interesting thing about the whole accident was even after I rolled over the truck was still accelerating. I had to kick the gear shift into park to get it to stop accelerating. I have since filed a claim with the NHTSA.
  • Your message is dated March 2008 so don't know if you will see this. But I was really annoyed with the wind noise in my new Tacoma quad cab. When I took in for first oil change, drove three other of the same model and the exact problem in all, two much worse than mine. Forced myself to block it out and now don't notice it...but it's still there! Also a periodic rattle in the dash from day one. That REALLY drives me batty. Yet drove my sons new Lexus GX470 and it has the same problems, only worse. Have owned a Toyota truck since 1980 and never had a noise prob of any kind when they were brand new vehicles. Love this Tacoma quad just the same.
  • I am hoping that someone on here can help me out with this question. I just bought my 2008 Toyota about a month ago...best vehicle I've had ever! I love it!

Ok so there are these two square plastic holder things that are screwed into the back seats, what are those things called?? I have accidentally damaged them and I want to replace them but I don't know what they are called so I can look for them and I don't know where to look.....

I have an access cab with the little flip seats. Can anyone help?