Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Toyota Tacoma

13»

Comments

• I changed my oil at 3500 miles and noticed the oil filter was easy to get to but it was upside down. It took me 2 hours to change the oil because I was careful not to let too much oil out into cup and soaked it out with a paper towel. The next oil change I let the Toyota dealer do the oil change and I asked the maintenance advisor how they changed the oil in the new Tacoma's without getting oil all over the place and he said they just let it loose and then clean it of with solvent when they are done???? Now Come on Toyota you can do better than this crap. Please someone tell me that there is a trick to this.
  • cbyrd2cbyrd2 Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 tacoma and when changing the oil filter i have found cutting a 20 oz. bottle in half and holding under the drain seems to work pretty well.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    A few important points...

Your Tacome is RWD so it is quite easy for the front brakes, PRIMARY, most robust, braking resource, against the engine TORQUEING up the rear. Your expereince in holding the Tacoma "still" might not hold true for a FWD vehicle.

Braking ANY car to a full stop against WOT engine HP/torque AND inertia/momentum due to 60 mph plus speeds is an entirely different matter than holding the vehicle "stopped" when you begin motionless with inerta operating in your favor.
  • lazlo2lazlo2 Posts: 1
    Oh yes.. I have it and the dealer changed the engine mount which was covered under a TSB then another dealer changed the propeller shaft( rear drive shaft) and it was much better but I still have vibration when I apply the brakes at idle in park/ drive /any old time. I am moving forward with asking Toyota to look at the truck and evaluate it because I believe it is sub standard/ low quality and how it ever made it to the dealer for sale is beyond me. This thing has so many issues... some of which have been addressed and partially solved like the vibration but really its a 2008... how many hours is a new truck owner expected to spend at the garage. for kickers ..here's something that will make you smile: the other morning I start it up and shift to drive then shift to reverse back to drive and put to 4x4 because of snow- the thing wouldn't move. Long story short- the shifter cable (transmission to shifter) had popped out and Toyota will not admit its a defect- paid 110$ to get it reattached-they paid the towing. Looks like its going to be a long battle but I am asking them to take back the truck and give back the money!
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Any time you apply the brakes your automatic transmission's lockup clutch will UNLOCK, ALWAYS. That puts the torque converter in the drive "loop" so that might be a good place to start looking given your symptoms.

Putting the torque converter in the drive system is also effectively a "downshift" which might result in an engine "loping" at idle when stopped due to the "extra" engine load, loading.

Hmmm...."apply the brakes"...."vibration"...

Brake booster vacuum leak..?
13»
This discussion has been closed.