Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Starting Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,134
    albob2,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you had the work completed at a GM dealership or an independent shop? Please keep me posted.

Thank you and have a great weekend!
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • 2002 Sierra 1500 with 89K. Sounds like I have the same problem except I can get the truck to start by giving in a little gas? In the morning it starts right up, then throughout the day it may or may not spin like you explain, but by giving it a little gas it will fire up and runs fine once it starts. My next step was to pull the starter but it sounds like that would be a waste of time?
  • chevydavochevydavo Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    Hey
    I just got myself a extended cab chevy silverado 1996 V8... auto.. just having a little problem with it... The car starts up great first up, but when i go out to do some shopping and go to start it up again, it struggles, it does start, but it sounds like i have a flat battery when i just got a new battery last month... my starter has been tested by autozone and another place and they say thats good and battery is good... thought it could be my air con doing it so i tested driving it with no air con prior and it still does it... anyone else had this problem if so how did you fix it? thanks heaps for your help
  • battery is good, i'm confused
  • dean2004dean2004 Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    truck cranks but will not start until after i leave the key on for 15 minutes this started happening in the last 4 years sometime it happens on a regular basis and then sometime it doesn't happen for a long time
  • 98 gmc still haveing fuel issue's now if u shut it off you have to prime it to get it to start everytime runs great after that still no clue help!!!
  • Thanks my 2004 chevrolet Silverado 1500 started dying then wouldn't crank first time it cost me a tow and $85. I tried your tip let it set with the key on it's running now
  • Have you solved the problem?
  • Have you fixed this problem?
  • I have a 2000 Chevy, starts up just fine, idles hard with terrible shakes, then dies. I changed the fuel filter, but nothing. I tried the VATS reset, nothing. Can anyone help?
  • Have you figured out anything? My 1500 Sierra is doing the same thing. Changed the fuel pump, filter, and spark plugs, but it has had no effect. When I give it gas to crank it will start, but then it smells like its flooded.
  • sevenmilmagsevenmilmag Posts: 2
    edited November 2011
    I just bought a 2011 2500hd vortec 30'000km and sometimes it wont turn over at all or will turn over for a second but then die as if its not getting any juice. Dont think its the battery. Sometimes it works fine and others it doesnt. Key starts it seems to work if i leave the key in for a few seconds and after several tries. Seems to be a power problem. Remote start it just does nothing and the lights all go out. Sometimes everything works fine though. Any ideas? Engine light comes on when this is happening and it seems to lose all power. I can run it for a while and it still happens immediatley after i shut it off. Help.
  • So.. feel kind of stupid cause this was basic troubleshooting. I had initially checked the connections to my battery and found them to be tight enough that i moved on. In the interest of going over my own tracks i took a wrench to the nuts today, loosened them all the way and then re-tightened them. Voila.. everything is as it should be. An easy oversight to be sure, but a little disappointed with the dealer for not having the connections tight- i just bought the truck 2 weeks ago. Could have been my gf or mom stranded in the middle of nowhere. Anyway, to reiterate a statement ive read on here many times in the past 2 days... check those connections!
  • Had a lose battery to starter wire....removed starter (twisted and turned), tightened main lead, replaced starter and oil pressure connection...now just turns and won't start....ran yesterday....HELP
  • turn key doesn't turn over but dims interior lights completely, release key hear click under dash lights then return to normal, replaced solenoid, starter only 2 years old, battery good. what is the problem?
  • So i have a 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 step-side. This thing will not start if it sitting more than 8 hours in the rain. When it is running it seems like it misses when its first taking off until it picks up speed. Doesn't do it when its just idling, only when I am first starting to go. I've already replaced the plugs, distributor cap, rotor bug, coil, and ignition module. I am stumped. Anyone got any ideas?
  • The truck had a recall for the distributor getting moisture in it, put a brand new cap and button and it has been fine, i go out the other morning hit the key it fires up then dies, now it will just crank but no starting checked the fuel pump and spark i have both, anybody have any ideas.
  • driving in town at low speed. engine made a pop sound and died. now it wont start. cranks fine.
  • fixedfixed Posts: 2
    Hello kathyinma

I have 2005 Sierra same problems.

Put key into ignition turn to on all lights and extras work, but no crank.

- first time the problem went away 20 minutes later.
    - second time towed truck to dealer....started for tech two hours later.
    - towed second time ....took starter wires off everying cleaned, reconnected
    and truck started.
    - third time truck sat for a day in the driveway and started the next day.
    - last time I left in the drivway for two days and it still would not start.

Most recent suggested solution.

Dealer suspects that the security system is causing the problem, he said try the following.

- put key into ignition and turn it to the "on" position.
    - leave the key in the ignition for at least 10 minutes.
    - now turn the key to start and see if your truck starts.

My truck did not start after several turns of the key.

What I did do was place the truck in netural (parking brake on) and presto
    MY TRUCK STARTED.

I hope that helps
  • fixedfixed Posts: 2
    Hello kathyinma

I have 2005 Sierra same problems.

Put key into ignition turn to on all lights and extras work, but no crank.

- first time the problem went away 20 minutes later.
    - second time towed truck to dealer....started for tech two hours later.
    - towed second time ....took starter wires off everying cleaned, reconnected
    and truck started.
    - third time truck sat for a day in the driveway and started the next day.
    - last time I left in the drivway for two days and it still would not start.

Most recent suggested solution.

Dealer suspects that the security system is causing the problem, he said try the following.

- put key into ignition and turn it to the "on" position.
    - leave the key in the ignition for at least 10 minutes.
    - now turn the key to start and see if your truck starts.

My truck did not start after several turns of the key.

What I did do was place the truck in netural (parking brake on) and presto
    MY TRUCK STARTED.

I hope that helps
  • YES!
    Same thing happened to me last year on my 2002 GMC Z71. Whenever it rained I had problems. Put in gas additive in tank for water and it helped.

Intake manifold gasket is bad. Need to have it replaced, and if you haven't had the rails or TBI cleaned, do it too. About 1100-1300. Makes a world of difference.
  • What are rails? TBI stand for throttle body injectors right? what you mean here"About 1100-1300. Makes a world of difference."
  • Rails are the structure where the gas flows and feeds the injectors. They will know about that at the dealership. Sorry, should have written TB. Yes, throttle body. Costs about $1100-$1300. My truck returned to performance when I bought it used in 2005 which was pretty awesome.
  • I have a similar problem....My 2001 Chevy Silverado starts up just fine on a nice clear day, but when the rain comes, it will turn over but won't start until the weather clears up.
    I did not know about the recall for the distributor. Maybe that is all I need???
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Your truck doesn't have a distributor unless it's a 4.3.
  • omp41omp41 Posts: 1
    There must be a mechanic out there that has figured this out.. too many people having the same problem.

I'm having exactly the same problem as many above. 2002, 5.3 with 140,000 miles. Won't start on cold mornings and during the day if it's cold enough. Warm days.. never have a problem. I use a blow dryer on the electrical control panel under the hood. It has worked every time. I'm not sure why or what I'm heating up.. and maybe it's nothing to do w what I'm doing when I finally get it to start... And of course, the truck didn't do it when I brought it to a mechanic. But if you are experiencing these same won't start problems, don't change your fuel pump, filter etc.. . You'll be wasting your time and money. There is some electrical / firing glitch somewhere caused by cold temperature and maybe damp, but I don't think mine is related to moisture.

Any info would be helpful to LOTS of people..
  • dirtynickeldirtynickel Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    I have been putting up with the same issue that others on here have been complaining of...I had my truck towed to a dealer back in Aug/Sept 2011 after being stranded overnight. Got it to dealer and the service guy went to my truck and it turned on the first time he turned the ignition...I then drove it to a dealer closer to home, I was told they could not replicate it but they did change the negative battery cable...it worked fine for about 2 months and it has started happening again...this time it has been 3 days since I noticed it and it still has not turned on...my warranty went out at the end of Sept 2011, I would like to know if they will work on it as a continuing problem that was not resolved...
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    was written up by the last dealership that investigated this problem. Chances are that the last dealership considers the matter closed since they didn't find any problems.
  • I have a 2002, GMC, 1500, Z71 5.3l engine with, at the time, about 150,000 miles.

Had problems on rainy days, damp days, acted like water in fuel. It was the intake manifold gasket. A little over a grand to fix. They also cleaned the fuel rails, and throttle body. Was a new beast.