Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Starting Problems

Comments

• cg05tkcg05tk Posts: 3
    edited March 2012
    yes, battery is about one year old, and had Napa parts, check it out , they told me it is ok.
    now it seems that the key is getting stuck in the start positon.
    and i have to manually turn it back to on.
    the igniton switch was one of the parts that i replaced because of that issue.
    I am thinking about replacing the ignition cylinder and the houseing.
    I have just about run out of parts to replace,
  • kmngkmng Posts: 6
    YE116706
    whats your email so I can send you my info?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Good morning cg05tk,

It looks as though you are doing all of this work yourself, which I completely respect. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know (while I don't have any access to technical information, I can try to ask other departments for you).

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Bob, I have the same problem as you were describing in this thread. I was hoping you found the cure and could help me out. I have a 99 GMC Yukon with 132,000 miles on it with a newer 5.7 that I was told was installed by GM. It looks original and I had had little problems with it. However, last year, I found it not starting once a week or so. It did not take long to recognize that it did not start on the mornings after sitting for 36 hrs or more. Get home on Saturday afternoon, stay home Sunday, Monday was a no start. I began to test the theory, and started it for a couple of minutes on one Sunday without going anywhere. that did not work either. The next weekend, I started it and drove down the block and back (driving regularly) that was not enough. The next weekend, I drove it several blocks in first gear, getting to around 3k RPM. Monday it started right up. The problem disappeared 3months ago or so, and started up two weeks ago. I live in Panama, Central America and the truck seems to have not had the problem during the drier season. During the week or when not having the problem anyway, it starts up on a dime, just a twist of the starter and it is running beautifully. When I have the problem, I found the best way to start it is to remove the air cleaner house from the Throttle body, and hold my hand over the air passage with about a fingers diameter hole for air to suck through, Have someone crank the ignition several times (it starts but will not yet run on its own) until it is running smooth on its own. Reinstall the Tube and hurry off to work because I am late again. I was never one to like Mondays, but this is ridicules.
  • Some things I had forgotten to mention. When this first started, I started replacing things that it might be, That is after replacing regular tune up type items. I replaced the Plugs, wires, Cap, Rotor, Ignition Module, and coil. I replaced the Fuel filter, Pump, Crank Sensor as well. Most of these items were replaced some time before this problem occurred. They were replaced because the engine was idling ruffly, I found out that the lower gasket on the intake manifold was leaking. The lower gasket was also replaced. a couple months latter I had this new problem of not starting after sitting for 36 hours or more.
    Additionally, when it has been sitting, when attempting to start the engine, it cranks freely but does not attempt to run, never catches. and after letting the ignition switch return to RUN position, the engine lightly backfires out of the Throttle body TWO times, about a second apart, like the engine is trying to turn over. This happens after ignition switch has been returned to RUN from START, after a second or so, the engine does a rotation and puffs out of the Throttle body, then a second goes by, and it does it again. If you go from START position to OFF position it does not do this, if you crank the engine and let the Switch fall to RUN and it starts to do the rotation of the engine and you turn the Switch to OFF, it stops it in rotation or at least stops it from happening the second time.
  • db58db58 Posts: 1
    I just wanted to join in my 2004 Silverado 5.3 plays the no start game sometimes more than other times. Turn key nothing but a little sensor type sound under the dash. Everything else works just no crank. It will usually start after a few min's of turning the key.
    Dealer has changed netrual safety switch, ignition switch, a sensor and have left it at the shop for days last year. Still no fix.

Its a shame that a truck that is more or less in great shape can't start when needed or the fact that it can't be fixed.

What's up GM
  • GM has a ghost in all of its vehicles on the computer. When you turn the key does the entire system go dead including your instrument panel. If so then all you have to do is disconnect the positive battery terminal and reconnect it.
  • Howdy, My 2005 Z71 chevy silverado, i have had this ongoing problem with it since i got it back in 2010 every other mounth, twice a week compleatly random, Without notice the truck will not start, Not even offer or turn over, all dash lights come on. You can take the key out and put it back in 1000 times and nothing changes, play with the locks, un hook the batery no change. and no codes are being throne ither, When you least expect it, you turn the key and it will start. It has made me stranded at several places and late for work, and is VERY annoying, can't solve the problem. i resently moved to ga active army so im no longer around familly to barow a car or catch a ride, Can anyone please give me some sulotion. might have to just discontinue the chevy tridition and make it an unreliebal toy....
    Good morning bucking_a,

As this sounds like it has been going on for a while, had you ever gotten this looked into? We'd be happy to follow up with your dealership if you like!

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • durajunkdurajunk Posts: 3
    We are having the same problem with our 2008 Silverado 3500HD deisel. It has 50,000 miles bought it new. wont start randomly or dies while driving and wont restart. It shows service anti theft device. Started this about 4 weeks ago. Been to dealer 4 times now reset computer, reprogramed, said it needed a new relay now says computers arent communicating. We use this for hauling trailer loads of hay and farm eguipment. what happens when it dies and we have no brakes or steering? What if we kill someone? I can send you a pic of a $55,000 lemon, at least while its still in one piece.
    I'm sorry that you have had to make 4 trips in to the dealership for this no-start concern, durajunk. Have you worked with Customer Assistance before? If we can look into this further, please send the following information to socialmedia@gm.com: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current address, and the name of your involved dealership. We will set up a Service Request for you and follow up with your dealership, to begin.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Did you get this resolved? I have what appears to be the same problem...most of the time my truck starts without issue...however, I sometimes experience a period of starting problems exactly as you described...turn the key and nothing...turn again numerous times and eventually I'll get power to starter and it will fire up no problem. This has been going on intermittingly since Oct 2009. Once this problem starts it will continue intermittingly for several days and then go away for weeks at a time...no relationship to hot or cold engine/ how long it sits before again having an issue.
    We're sorry to see that you're also having some issues with starting your vehicle; if you wanted for us to check into warranty or recall information on your truck, please email us a description of the situation as well as the last 8 digits of your VIN to socialmedia@gm.com
    All the best,
    Sarah - GM Customer Service
    No we have not... it seems ours has this problem when outside temp is warmer. About 75 degrees and up. Have had problems all weekend and Im really getting fed up. Havent heard back from GM customer service since emailing our info, it seems with all the people on this forum having this problem someone should know something!
  • slane9436slane9436 Posts: 1
    Ok so I started researching this little problem my truck recently started having, seems that there's a lot of GM customers that aren't exactly satisfied for the same reasons. About 2 months ago my 2006 sierra 1500 extended cab (babied 89,000 miles) decided not to start. The electronics would turn on, as well as the a/c but the engines wouldn't turn over. After about 10 tries the truck started fine and drove fine (except for the door locks occasionally trying to relock themselves). All was well until the same thing happened last night, leaving me stranded with no way to work. The battery is new. The electronics turn on except my locks. All the door electronics fail to work, even the keyless entry is useless. Im really skeptical about bringing it to the dealership or mechanic, because it seems as though no one has had any luck in fixing the issue and they have just wasted money (a luxury I don't have at the moment). Does any one have any new advice? It doesn't seem as though GM customer service doesnt have much to offer from what I've seen. It's a little scary, nobody has any idea what the hell is going on. I'm not a mechanic by any means but shouldnt the makers have some idea....? I guess for now I'm going to pray its starts everytime I go somewhere. :mad: :mad:
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Since it's only the engine and the locking system that aren't functioning in these situations, it sounds like it could be an anti-theft system malfunction... the kill switch may be shorting - do you happen to have such a system?

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • cujo1599cujo1599 Posts: 1
    I have a similar issue. I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500. At random times the truck will not start. All dash lights, power locks, lights, etc do not work. I open and shut the hood well open and slam the hood and it is like it resets itself. I open the door and the interior lights are on and the truck will start. I will drive for a bit (random lengths of time) and the same issue occurs. I took the truck to the dealer and they stated they reset some electrical modules ( they were out of sync) cleaned the contacts and reseeded them. $300.00 later this seemed to work. Well yesterday after two months the issue has started again and again if I open and slam the hood it will start. Any ideas? I don't want to spend another $300.00 for this to keep happening. Sounds like there should be some sort of recall for this. Thoughts? Solution?

Carl
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,100
    cujo1599,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns. Dealer repairs typcially have a parts and labor warranty. I would recommend taking the vehicle back to them so they can look at the vehicle again. Please feel free to email me directly. Please include your VIN and dealer of choice. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    SocialMedia@GM.com
  • bbsmith7bbsmith7 Posts: 3
    kcram - have you found that doing something to the kill switch works? My 98 Chevy does same not starting and sometimes when it does this the "security system" lights up. I then have to wait 10 minutes and it will usually start...but not always.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    It happened to my dad's car many years back... the quick fix was the installation of a bypass cable under the hood... if the kill switch acted up, you popped the hood and tapped this override cable on the battery terminal and it triggered the starter circuit.

Modern kill switches may not be as easy to override, though. If it's a factory system, you may need to see the dealer about it; if it's aftermarket, check with the installer.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • ballou11ballou11 Posts: 1
    It will not start I bought this truck 6 weeks ago with a bad transmission it would not move out of its tracks but it did crank and run perfect Its a regular cab 2500 new body 4x4 with a 6.0 v8 gas motor and it has dual batteries after having the transmission rebuilt and installed the truck will not crank it has a small silonoid on the fire wall directly behind the axuillary battery on the passenger inner fender that click's when the key is turned to the start position 1 click each time the batteries are new the wires are good the connections are clean no fuses are blown I have power to the starter but not from silinoid to starter and the small purple wire which should be hot only when ignition key is turned to start position is dead all the time please help
  • 99fordzx299fordzx2 Posts: 5
    My Silverado began stalling, having a hard time starting, running rough when it first started, and taking several seconds to idle down after I pushed in on the clutch. Recently, I must now pump the throttle on the fuel injected engine to get it to start and barely stays running for a few seconds until it catches hold. About the same time, when pulling, the rpms increase and stay in the 2500 range. Are they related? Any ideas where to start? No codes are showing.
    Yay !!!!! Its fixed, but the dealer didnt fix it. My husbands buddy said lets check the fuse box and the Start/run relay was about half out with 2 prongs in and 2 just touching. It seems that the cover was letting it come up at times so that the 2 prongs lost contact and it would die or not start, they put it back in and havent had any trouble since. We even went to Tenn. last week with no problems. Obviously the dealer didnt bother to check the fuses, the cover didnt even have fingerprints on it. So 2 computers, reprogramed, new module under the bed and 2 mths of aggravation was all over a little relay. Though we dont know how or when it got bent, if you are having trouble replace that relay first!
  • dalerhdalerh Posts: 14
    I will join the lot of you with my 2006 GMC Sierra 1500HD with only 17,700 miles on it! Sunday my keyless entry fob would not work, so I entered my truck with the key. Same story as all of you, it would not start. I contacted GM customer service Monday and I was instructed to place the key in the ignition and set to accessory only and wait 2 minutes and try to start the truck. If this didn't work try it again. Well, it didn't work after trying all day Monday and Tuesday morning. After I called my assigned personal GM service rep and left a message as to the failed attempts to start, I got a call back later in the day from GM customer Service and they said I needed to have my truck towed to a dealer. Have you tried to find a GMC truck dealer lately? (they are farther and fewer between) 3 dealers with in 10 miles have all gone belly up. Prior to calling for a tow I pulled all of the relays from the fuse blocks and pressed them back in, checked all neccesary fuses, but this didn't help either. I called GM roadside service and they sent out a local tow truck for an up front amount of $85. The driver showed up, hooked up his cables to the back of my truck, pulled them up tight with a slight jerk and walked around to the driver side door of my truck, put the key into accessory mode, all of a sudden the radio, the door chime, enterior lights, and even the window worked when the tow truck driver pressed the down button. I told the driver to stop, the system is working all of a sudden, try to start the truck. Wow! it started and I had him disconnect his cables. I was not about to have a dealer tell me there was nothing wrong with my truck for some un Godly fee. I drove the truck all day and every thing is fine. I contacted GM roadside assistance and had the towing fee changed from $85 to $60 for the service call. So the BIG question is. What caused the truck to start? Was it a delayed reaction to re-setting the relays, or the tow truck driver jerking on my truck while set in Park with his cables. The tow truck driver may have had the key in the ignition but not turned on for a good 10 minutes, I can't imagine this helping. But the saddest part of my story and all of the other stories told here is GM does not know what causes this event to happen. But their dealer can surely get to the bottom of it. "Right" Thanks everyone for your comments and I hope mine will help someone else.
    One day after my truck misteriously strating working it quit again today. This time I couldn't even lock it. So I got back in and tried to strat the truck, no luck.
    So, from what I have learned so far I put the key in the ignition, turned the key to accessory, put the transmission in neutral with my foot on the brake, and released the parking brake. WaLa! Everything came on and the truck started with no problem. So I think this issue with not starting has a connection to the parking brake and being in park. Since pressing the parking brake pedal is pretty standard stuff, something else must be triggering the problem. Maybe it has a sensor on the parking brake adjustment, I am just guessing. I keep you all posted as I narrow down this annoying issue and maybe share it with the GM guys who don't have a clue. :)
  • 99fordzx299fordzx2 Posts: 5
    It now has come down to a flooded engine. What controls the fuel going into the injection system when engine is turned off? Fuel is getting by after shut-off.
  • I have a 2007 Silverado. 8 months ago it was "bucking" on start-up and after 8 days of missed diagnostics, the dealership replaced the fuel pump and it solved the problem (temporarily). 8 months later - exact same symptoms, now 4 days later - still no resolution. They say it is not the same problem. Has anyone else had a similar issue. The "bucking" seems to smooth our after about 15-30 seconds, but it still doesn't seem to idle like it did prior to the rough startup.
  • A bad fule pump will not show up on engine diagnostics. Might want to check the fuel pump.
    OK, Its been 3 weeks since I've been here and my 2006 GMC Sierra still has on occasion not wanted to start. So far I haven't figured out what causes this event, but I can say every time it does happen, I put the key in the ignition to the on mode, place the transmission in Neutral, release the parking brake and turn the key and it starts every time.

Good luck!