Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Starting Problems

Comments

• Have you figured anything else out? My 07 has the exact same problem, except I can't get mine to start at all, even doing what you did. Let me know. :(
  • dalerhdalerh Posts: 14
    So far, the only other indication I get is a message on the dash that reads "Service 4 wheel drive" but it hasn't prevented the truck from starting. Releasing only the parking brake has worked too. Another thing to consider is one of the fuse panel relays next to the driver door. By releasing the parking brake, it hits the dash pretty hard and may be enough to un-stick a bad relay.

Good luck!
  • kmngkmng Posts: 6
    No my strarting problems have not been resolved - July 2011 when it started and continues to do so. GMC has not fpund the problem everyone I have spoken with and gave the history can't figure it out. Its a flaw in the GMC product. Its random to model and year... It does not matter.. Its very frustrating.. I can a month no problem then its every day 2 plus times a day and it goes on for a few weeks... When someone figures this S!!! out let em know!
  • weaklinkweaklink Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    2003 2500HD. Intermitant starting problems. I have replaced the starter, relay, battery. When I turn the key, the dash lights go out, just like normal, but I don't hear the solenoid, dead silence. Looking at the diagram looks like my next two options are the PNBU switch and Ignition switch.

I tried to start in neutral as well, no difference. I jiggled the ignition switch while trying to start,no difference. Wiggled the shifter while in Park, no difference.

Yesterday, when it happened. I rocked the vehicle while in park, and then it cranked right up. Same thing today. Nothing, nothing, rock vehicle against park, start. I'm hoping the PNBU switch is it.

This is a bare-bones work truck. roll-up windows, manual door locks, no security, etc.

Suggestions? Comments?
  • So far my 2006 GMC has a constant issue with not starting or not even activating the system with the key. BUT, I have diagnosed the issue is all about the parking brake. If I depress it too far or too hard it causes the system to shut down. This happened just last night as I was leaving the truck and I couldn't even lock the truck. I reached in released the parking brake, the lights came on and it locked normally, and started fine when I got back. There must be a micro-switch at the end of the travel which sends an error message to the computer.

Good luck guys,
  • speey2speey2 Posts: 1
    im having same problem what did u find
  • original_shookoriginal_shook Posts: 4
    edited October 2012
    I need some advice please! I have a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 regular cab Z71, 4X4, 5.3L Flex Fuel with 75,000 miles. The last month it has started to have an intermittent issue with starting. Key will turn but nothing. The gauges all act appropriately when turning the ignition, but from there it does nothing. Had a level 2 tech state all computers are talking to each other, sensors are in normal operation, battery and cables check out ok, and no power issues from ignition to starter was found. Initially the tech said orginal starter was bad (pulling too many amps) so had starter replaced. I'm still having issue after new starter installed. Tech could only replicate the problem one time but found nothing wrong.
  • kmngkmng Posts: 6
    Good luck my issue is over a yr old... Gmc screwed up its a random issue they can't fix
  • Is there anything you do to get it started?
    Have you tried releasing the parking brake? My 2006 GMC 1500 HD Sierra 4X4 does this everytime I apply too much parking brake. As soon as I release it everything works fine. It may have to do with adjustment to the parking brake assembly. I also sometimes get a message the 4 wheel drive needs service, but releasing the parking brake takes care of that too. I haven't been stranded sisnce.
  • My truck wont start. The battery is fine and as I try and turn it on it just clicks. I am very disappointed with Chevrolet. I have a 2003 Ford Sport Trac and I have never once had a problem with it and I bought it new. I previously went to Cavendar Chevrolet in Boerne and reported that the transmission kept kicking. They said there was nothing wrong with it. I know for a fact in doing research that my truck of same year, make and model is not the only one with that problem. Things also keep breaking off like the adapters for chargers and the aux cord hole is unusable because it has too much static. The paint on the radio buttons are missing and the what is worst, there are cracks near the air bag on the dashboard. I hope I dont get in an accident before that gets fixed. Simple things made on a supposed tough truck should not be happening. I will start my long process tomorrow of trying to find out what needs to be done. It is ridiculous that this much time and effort be spent on a new truck.
  • Good morning original_shook,

Have you had any luck in getting this addressed since your post? If we can follow up on anything with your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name, summary of the situation, contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • If you would like for us to connect with your dealership and check into this further, roniaries, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com with more details (including your name and Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealer).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • I appreciate your attentiveness on this matter. They have advised me that roadside assistance will be picking it up. I will email you details.

Thank You,
    Veronica
  • same issue with 08 silverado....told it was o2 sensor replaced do have remote start so told that is the problem and should be taken out of vehicle ... called remote start installer and told they do not have to remove system they can disconnect it however it will not cure the problem......dealer only making money playing guessing games...called customer support at GM and was told that the chevy techs are trained and to return to dealer once again ...... have seen on internet numerous problems with these trucks but no one seems to have an answer........getting ready to trade not for another GM product
    I have posted to this site many times about my 2006 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4X4 not starting. It has almost become comical that all I need to do is release the parking brake and the truck starts. Sometimes I get a message the 4 wheel drive needs servicing, but then again releasing the parking brake solves the issue too. I am hesitant to take it to a dealer even with all of the examples. Good Luck!
  • fhawkfhawk Posts: 1
    2002 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4x4 6.0L. Driving down the high way, truck started to cut out. then it died and i pulled over and it would not restart. had it towed home, now some times it will start, idle rough and die. no codes are coming up or the check engine light doesn't light up.
    Hi fhawk,

I haven't had this problem with my 2006 GMC 1500HD Sierra 4x4 also a 6.0, but I have had it with other vehicles. Have the catalytic converter checked out. This sounds like a typical Cat melt down and the system is clogged. When it cools it allows a little more exhaust through for a little while.

Good Luck.
  • Sarah this truck has 76,000 miles and I have paid for a computer diagnosis, told it was a bad starter, had a new one installed. I am out over $500 so far and my truck still has intermittent no start issues. Chevrolet has not been helpful so I had another auto repair mechanic try and still playing the expensive guessing game. I guess I will have to try to figure out this problem myself so I can get this thing running enough to trade it in on a more reliable brand than Chevrolet.
    Try releasing the parking brake. This has worked for me on my 2006 GMC 1500HD 4x4 Sierra for two months now. I can even make it so it wont start my applying too much parking brake. I also get a message the 4 wheel drive needs servicing. I have not had to take it to a dealer yet and dread even sharing my diagnosis with them.