Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Starting Problems

Comments

• Hey Yall!

Im stationed out in Cali and have to have my 2001 silverado smoged to get it on base, so I failed the first time and took it to a shop and they cleaned off some dirt and mud on my EVAP system and got my check engien light to turn off. But they re-set my system by DCing my battery, now i cant get my Evap, Cat and EGR monitors to run so i cant even smog it. The Machanic wants to replace my fule pump, he said it will help get those systems to run. But I wanted to know if anyone knew how to get those systems to run ie. "5 mins at 35mph" or "12mins at 125mph?" or whatever. gettin frustrated thanks and stay classy!
  • lucas44lucas44 Posts: 1
    Hi folks,

I am posting this on behalf of my dad who purchased a 2006 GM, diesel truck with Duramax engine. It is a 3/4 ton Silverado. They use it to haul their fifth wheel. About 6 months ago it would not start on 2 occasions.The first time apparently there was a problem with "the relay" which was fixed, and the second time a computer part was replaced for around 2k, no cost to them as under warranty. My dad was concerned as he had had the truck only for a few months at that time. They recently returned home from a trip and the truck is again not starting, so just wondering if anyone else is having problems. The truck had been sitting for about 2 weeks,cold weather is not a factor. The truck was in the garage this Tuesday and they have yet to find the problem. Just wondering what you guys think the problem might be. My parents are retired and this truck was to last them for their "travelling" years. Thanks!!
  • I am bringing out of long-term storage a Jimmy with a 4.3 L V-6. My problem is it won't turn over much less start. The battery was useless so I replaced it and the starter with a rebuilt gear reduction starter because the old one had a diagnosed bad Bendix drive. So, we need not address those issues unless someone wants to suggest that the gear redo starter is bad from the rebuild shop. I purchased from a reputable rebuilder that I have been doing business with for years so if it is in fact bad, human error simply showed its ugly head.

I would appreciate some incites to this problem. I used a magnetic induction amp meter on the rebuilt unit in the truck and it maxes out the meter at around 85 amps. Unfortunately, I do not have one that goes any higher to use. The ground is connected to an exhaust manifold stud. It is quite thick in good condition and tight. The battery terminals are also clean and tight. I DID NOTICE that there seems to be a small ground cable that looks like it goes from the body to a bell housing bolt is disconnected.

I can be reached directly at donparadowski@yahoo.com. Thanks.
  • 02gmfan02gmfan Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 GMC Sierra. About once a month the truck will not start. All the dash lights will come on and the radio will work when I turn the key. Its like I am starting the truck in gear. After about 10 min I hear a click and the truck will start and I am not getting any codes from the computer.
    Also I keep topping up the coolent. I had a presure test done for 15 minutes and the gauge didn't move. Any ideas

• Hey 02gmfan. My 2001 sierra does the same thing. Occasionally won't crank but all of the lights and guages are working. I was told to check for voltage on the short stud on the solenoid with key in the crank position. Tried it and don't have voltage. I replaced the start relay under the hood in the fusebox; still didn't work. Something is stopping voltage from being sent to the starter but I can't figure it out. If someone gives me a fix, I'll let you know. By the way. How do you look at replies to these questions?
    Thanks rossterman. I'll let you know if I get a fix as well. I don't understand the question you're asking me about repling to questions.

• My bad, I figured it out. Back to the starting problems. I'm wondering if it has to do with the ground cable on the battery. Yesterday when it wouldn't start, I popped the hood to see if the start relay was clicking and I moved the ground cable out of my way. Immediately after that it started. Coincidence? If it's the cable it has to be internal because there is no corrosion visible.
    Thats a good start. I would explain no power to the starter. The next time it happens I will move the cable around. Until then I think it is time for a good battery post and cable cleaning.

I'll let you know

thanks
  • mxkx40mxkx40 Posts: 1
    I'm having same problem as message #5.no fuel pump,no inj. pulse,no spark,fuel gauge reads empty.wait 15-30 minutes truck starts up and runs perfect but only runs for 1-5 minutes and shuts off.wait 15-30 minutes repeats same thing.anyone fix this problem yet??thanks
    Hey rossterman I screwed with the negative cable as well and she fired up. I am going to clean the ground conections to the starter. There is another ground to the front of the truck, that could be why the dash lights and radio will work but the truck will not start.

Thanks
  • ck1500ck1500 Posts: 2
    My son was driving the truck and all of the sudden it turned off on him. He tried to start the engine and it would only turn but not start. I had changed the fuel filter and it still did not start. It currently has 80k miles on it. What could be the next problem? I was thinking it could be the fuel pump, but it has a full tank. When I removed the line off the filter, it has gas in the line.
  • ck1500ck1500 Posts: 2
    I tried to start it again and all it does is turn over. It seems as if the plugs are not getting a spark. Would and OBD reader give me the answers I need to determine the problem?
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Sounds like a bad throttle position sensor.
  • when i go to start her she turns over but wont fire up, i am getting fuel, air, and spark at the plugs. i thought it might be the distributor, i replaced the ignition module, and the pickup. now i am thinking it might be the coil? any other ideas? short on money so i cant just go to a shop and get it done. thansk for the help.
  • I had the same problem with my chevy 2000. I did replace the fuel regulator sensor is about $60 or $70. bucks and it work perfectly.and is so easy to install.
  • tcbusatcbusa Posts: 4
    moran99,I also had this problem with my 99 silverado 4.8litre, replaced feul pressure regulator (84$@napa) problem solved.Just joined forum,1st post,hope this is your answer.tcbusa
  • south2south2 Posts: 2
    ever thing works fine it just doesnt turn over. i've replaced and the starter and still it just makes a clicking noise
  • south2south2 Posts: 2
    my 04 sierra is doing the same thing but i know my battery aint bad and i just replaced the starter
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    When you replaced the battery did you have a load test done on the charging system? Sounds like a bad alternator.
  • onecrazyonecrazy Posts: 1
    I have a 92 Chevy Silverodo. It starts right up first time, but after you drive it around for a while it wont start but up. When you turn the key all the lights come on but as for making any sounds there's nothing. If you wait for awhile say 30 to 45 minutes it starts back up. Have any idea what may cause this problem.