Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Cherokee and Grand Cherokee Brake Problems

Comments

• tuggajbtuggajb Posts: 646
    could still be a wheel bering as you shake stuff up when you work on it

try to find the side that makes noise then then jack up that side and turn wheel to see or feel roughness as you turn the wheel
  • Hi. I just bought a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and it needs rear brake pads and rotors. I took it to the dealer and to other auto care center and the difference in the price from both places is $83. Is it worth paying that extra in the dealer? What could be the difference in the results? I'll appreciate any suggestions, thanks
  • Hi,
    I just put new calipers,pads and rotors. We bled brakes. Could this be the brake booster ? How hard is it to replace? :cry:
  • My daughter has this car and everytime she touches the brakes the car shakes and sounds like metal hitting metal. My boyfriend was going to replace the pads but when he checked all 4 were good. She is away at college and says its getting worse. What could it be???
  • Hello I have a 2001 JGC Limited. I'm getting a weird clankin or clicking noise when coming to a stop also I could feel it in the axle like if something is slowing it down. I changed the rotors and brake pads on all 4 wheels and just recently got new tires. this problem has been going on for about 3-4 months now. usually it happens when driving far or If I brake hard. Anyone have an idea of whats going on?
    check you front drive shaft

took mine out and drove jeep had bad cvjoint at lower end and that was the problem
  • Hello all, this may have already been asked and I missed it, but I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 6cyl with 76,000 miles that I just purchased. After starting the vehicle, the first few times that I hit the brakes, it makes a substantial squeak in the front end on the drivers side. After a few times of applying the brakes, the sound goes away and usually does not appear the rest of the ride. The next time I go somewhere, it happens again. I am thinking that it may be the rotor and once it gets warm the problem goes away. The previous owner said they had it looked at several times and the brakes replaced and it never fixed the problem. Any ideas/comments are appreciated.

Thanks
  • I would check out your wheel bearings. Due to bad bearings the noise stops when they heat up. I dont see a problem being with the brakes.
  • robie2, I have a 1989 Grand Cherokee that has the same problem. What I have found out so far is that if I use Partial Four Wheel Drive, both the front and rear brakes work properly. I am not sure what the remedy is for the rear brakes not working in 2-wheel drive at this time. I would be curious to know if what I have been doing to get all of my Jeeps brakes to work will help your problem. If I figure this out, you will be the first to hear from me.--Phil
  • twintstwints Posts: 2
    Problems with REAR brakes. Have replaced both rear calipers, pads, rotors, brake lines; all emergency brake assembly and hardware is NEW. Pads are engaging onto rotors @ 20+ mph with rubbing sound like initial wear-in of new pads to new rotors and turning rotors blue and glazing pads. Truck stops square and noise stops when brakes are applied. Looking at proportioning valve now. Where is the proportioning valve located on this vehicle? Any other ideas?
  • wpatterswpatters Posts: 54
    I found on my 1993 GC that the brake pads where they meet the wheel assembly there is a notch worn in the metal and the pads get caught in that notch and do not release away from the rotors...I have slotted rotors. It makes a terrible noise especially after hard breaking. If I lightly step on the brakes it goes away which tells me it is the brakes...I changed the brake pads out on a Ford Expedition and they have metal clips that go over the pad ends and the metal part on the wheel assembly so they do not wear. The exact problem the Jeep has. I bought some at the auto parts place and will try using them on the Jeep...if that does not work then I will have to file out the notch and have sloppy brake pads. Anyone else have this problem?? Sounds like some have and may not be aware of what is causing it.
    I know the basic procedure of bleeding brakes...bleed the furthest from the master first and bleed until no air bubbles...pumping the brakes between draws.
    My concern is if there is anything that has to be done because of the ABS system.

Thanks in advance for the help
  • sherrylcsherrylc Posts: 1
    Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me. We have a 2005 Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Sport Automatic. We sell second hand vehicles. The brakes did not work at some stage after we bought this vehicle. We bled the brakes and then it was fine. That is as long as the vehicle was started or moved every day. If the vehicle stands for longer than 3 days they do not work you can push the pedal right to the floor. If you pump the brakes hard quite a few times they work. Also if you pump the brakes before the vehicle is started they work.
    We have checked for leaks and have bled the brakes and all the valves are in the right places. Can you help perhaps saving us having to spend lots of money at the franchise.
    sounds as if your abs pressure is bleeding back check if there is a factory service bulletin on them
  • elindseyelindsey Posts: 1
    We have a 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo and the brake lights will stay on sometimes. You have to put your toe under the pedal and pull up.
    Does anyone know if there is an adjustment on it?
    Thanks
    yes the switch under the brake pedal is threaded and can be made to go closer or further away...be careful since the whole thing is made of plastic...it also affects the cruise control if the switch is made all the time (brakes lights on). Easy to take care of if you don't mind twisting into a pretzel to get to it.
  • lerxstrulzlerxstrulz Posts: 4
    edited May 2010
    Hi All,

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6cyl and experience a weird intermittent brake issue. I can be driving on the highway and all of a sudden around 60mph my car will start to vibrate a little and the brake pedal is rock solid (ie I just have to barely touch it for brakes to engage fully.) The brakes seem to be engaging on their own. If I pull over turn off the car and pump the pedal a few times and restart it goes away. It's very intermittent.

Not sure what it is and I took it to a mechanic and he could find an issue and didn't make any recommendations. It's like pressure builds up and engages the brakes. Bad master cylinder? I think I'll try bleeding the lines...maybe there is air trapped and circulating?

Anyone ever heard of this issue or better yet know how to solve it :)

Thanks!
    It probable is the master cylinder since there is a booster that works with it and it could be faulty. I know I have a shop flush all my fluid every couple of years and it makes a world of difference. I have tried doing it my self and it is never as good as what they are able to do with the proper equipment. $100 and piece of mind.

Good luck.
  • seayj7seayj7 Posts: 1
    I too am having this exact problem. Problem started about 2 weeks ago. I had the warped rotor problems that it seems every 99-04 GC has but I got new rotors and pads on the cheap and replaced them. After replacing those parts, everything seemed to go back to normal. I was driving home from work and it seemed as the thing was slightly braking while driving down the road, like the brakes were ever so barely engaged. I parked the jeep in my driveway (have a slight hill) and put the GC in neutral, it wanted to stay still and not roll backwards as a normal car would want to do when sitting in neutral on an incline.

Have you been able to repair this intermittent problem. It drives me crazy trying to figure out what's going on.

Thanks
  • I can't really find anything on it. I bled my brake system and replaced the fluid, but I think the cap to my master cylinder is warped so it's probably letting some air in. There were a lot of bubbles in the fluid as I flushed it. Since doing that it has only happened once and very slightly. There is also a part called a....oops I don't remember the name. It's called a "motivator" or something like that...it's that big round thing that's behind the master cyclinder and I read that seals on it can get warped, so I'll be replacing both of those next. The cyclinder you can get for under 20.00 and the other part is around 60 or 70 bucks. First thing I would do is bleed the brake lines to see if there is any air and get rid of it.
  • thanks! I think this may have solved my problem. I have a 94 cherokee with 212k and i failed inspection for right front brakes, and after replacing every part i could I still had the problem. Just came back in from checking this, and sure enough it had a huge groove worn into the slider points. i just ground them down to make it more like a smooth ramp and it seems to be working now.
    Great...I have yet to get mine ground down but was first going to try something that Ford does on there new SUV's There brakes come with a set of clips that fit on those places that you just ground down. There is a clip for the "ears" on the brake pads and the sliding area on the frame that they rest against. I am hoping to see if that keeps that area from wearing...apparently this is a common problem now that people keep their cars longer.
  • Hello.
    I need advice thanks.
    I have a 90 model 6cil limited,
    I just put new brakes pads & new disc,
    Also got the front calipers fixed,and wheel main bearing.
    Now the abs pump dont stop working (its 3year old),on the dash the abs light is on and the hand brake light also.
    What could it be?
    Have to hook it up to the JEEPs computer and reset the electronic?
    Or?
    Its driving me nuts haha
  • just wonder if you were able to fix your problem, because i have a similar problem on my 2001 jeep cherokee, when i press on the brakes it feel and sound like there's an air leak under the brake pedal, not su :confuse: re
    power brake booster going bad
  • Hello - I just bought a 2000 Jeep Cheokee and noticed that my brakes squeeeeked and steering wheel vibrated when I would brake. So I bought brake pads and resurfaced the rotors. However when I was putting everything back together I noticed that the screws that hold the calipers where pressing on the brake pads! In other words the screw went all the way through! Does anyone know if that correct? I took it for a test drive and heard a clump...clump noise everytime I would brake. Any guidance is apprciated.
    Thanks!
  • My 2004 Grand Cherokee is having brake issues - it either has good brakes, '' soft'' brakes or I have to put the pedal to the floor. I have had the brake fluid flushed recently, also the dealership has bled the lines. I never know what I am going to get when I mash the pedal, it has 114k miles but I didn't have any problem til I took it in for routine maintenance and they said it would be a good idea to flush the brakes. 3 mechanics(including the Jeep service dealer) have looked at it, one saying that some trash may have gotten in the ABS module when that service was done. I am a novice.... this mechanic said I may have to replace the ABS module --about $800 for turnkey ..........any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.... if not I will take it BACK to the dealership and probably get hammered Thanks!!!!!
  • hey been reading up on my brakes. those bolts actually stretch!! the manual gives specific dimensions on those bolts for that reason. you are supposed to replace them if they are 1 mm longer than spec. go get a manual...
  • I have a 1999 Grand Cherokee, I love it! But..I bought it used and after only 2months, I was backing out of my driveway and noticed the "Hissing" noise" coming from under the brake pedal as you describe. I went online and found other of same model with same. There is a recall I read for this in the 1998 model..of which my 1999 should be included as manuf. date is 1998. NHTSA Campaign ID 98V0Z3000 on 1998 -2-10 is the last info I found. I went to a dealer in SHvn Miss and was told there was no recall for this....they lied...the cost to fix is high, the part new $150appx and there are some used but beware...it doesnt seem to be the booster as problem, my brakes work...the seal around the diaghpram is torn or split and it causes loss of power and surges in ideling...I dont want to pay as it should be dealer fix..anyone with luck in getting a dealer to fix theirs, I want to know! Chrysler should fix this! I am going to try again as I now live in CA. I can see the tear in the rubber diaphragm! it alsow robs gas milage. dkf