Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reverse Warning Systems & Cameras

124»

Comments

• masksavmasksav Posts: 13
    Got this from Eclipse Tech support today on the BEC105

Thank you for contacting Eclipse:

The camera is only about an inch squared but tapers toward the lens. The date of release is not available yet but I'm assuming sometime in jan or feb.

Tech Support

I can wait until Jan or Feb for this one. It's half the size of the 103 and 104
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,155
    "While most drivers are aware that there are areas behind their vehicle in which they cannot see, many don't realize how large those areas can be. The problem is worse in trucks and SUVs than in other cars because of their increased height and the distance between the driver and the tailgate or rear window."

SUV backover deaths: What can be done? (CNN)

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kthankthan Posts: 30
    I am looking for a backup sensor for my 06 Odyssesy. I searched the forum and found that many people liked Poron and Rosta sensors.

Here is my preference:

1. It should detect fairly close distance (I was told that Rosta can detect by 6 inch. According to Poron, they can detect up to 12 inch) because the main reason to buy the sensors is for parallel parking in downtown area.

2. Reliability and durability: This is very important because one failure could damage my car, which will cost a lot.

3. Easy of installation and use: I prefer under the bumper installation. But, Rostra had only two sensors (worried about the coverage). In order to get four sensors in Rostra, I have to drill the bumper. Poron has an edge (no need to drill). But, I am not sure if the sensors are fully hidden (or looks ugly). I also like Poron's voice notification (if it is quite accurate).

Given the preference, please let me know which one would be the best for me. If none of these two, let me know the other model.
    Thank you for your help in advance.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    I had both Rostra and Poron installed. First the poron, then the Rostra. The Rostra seems to me to be way more durable in terms of how it's built. Was never happy with the Poron as it reminded me of a toy and built rather flimsy.

I didn't have any problems with the coverage for my '00 full size Chevy truck.
    Where did you install the Rostra sensors (underneath the bumper or drill the bumper?...I prefer underneath the bumper but I can only install two sensors, compared to four sensors directly attached to the bumper)?

Also, how effective the alarm sound? I think voice activation in Poron sensors is quite appealing (what model did you have in Poron?). Without it, we only know (maybe) 3-4 difference frequency (I guess) without knowing the exact distance I am currently on. But, I am not sure how this really matters in reality, though.

Also, Rostra said everytime I put brake the sensor will reset and re-detect the distance. I don't know it would be the same thing as the other sensors.
    The rostra was installed below the bumper on both sides of the rear license plate.

I didn't like the idea of drilling holes in my bumper so I had 4 small stainless steel brackets made for me which I tack welded to the bumper to install the poron.

The rostra model that I installed had both audio and visual indicators. I didn't bother with the audio and installed the visual indicator in the roof panel between the seats. They were coded red yellow and green for different distances.

The poron model had both audio and a digital led readout as to the distance between the truck and any object.

What it came down to is durability. The wires on the poron are really thin as compared to the cable looking type that came with the rostra. Being installed on the outside of the vehicle and being subjected to just about every type of abuse, the poron did not hold up well and I had to replace the wires once. The second time around I bought the rostra.

I's surprised that your rostra would reset by depressing the brakes. Reason being that the sensors do not turn off until you shift out of reverse so there should be no resetting unless you shifted. Could be that it was installed differently.
    I was informed from one of dealer that I cannot install backup sensors underneath the bumper because Odyssey has plastic bumper. The only way I can do is drill it and install the sensors directly attach to bumper. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, it looks like Rostra had only one color (black). Where can get the sensors painted (matched to my vehicle)?

One more: Rostra has two different sensors (obstacle sensoring system and parking assist). The first one uses microwave technology (mostly used for truck & large van) and the second one uses ultrasonic technology (as most others uses). The first one comes with LED monitor and the second one is sonic (sound alarm) only. But, the advantage of the second one is it can detect as short as 5-6 inch, while the first one detect up to 1 feet (!2 inch). I am leaning toward the second one, but it looks like "microwave" technology works better in harsh weather condition (rain, snow, etc.). Please advise me what to choose.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,155
    Guess no one got one for Christmas?

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have ordered the BEC105 from Crutchfield and if it is indeed plug and play with my 2006 Solara Convertible with navigation, I will install it in a week. I was wondering if you could share pictures or some insight as to where you mounted the camera and if any special mods were involved. I am thinking of mounting it by the backup lights as there is enough open space at that part of the license plate area.

Thanks for the help.
  • I have used the AutoPark 2000 for several years. It was probably the first on the market, long before backup sensors were popular at all. The 2000 is a very cheap, basic sensor system. The sensitivity adjustment is not acceptable, and the two little allen screws that hold the unit to its license bracket will drive you out of your mind while trying to install such. Also they have to be removed to readjust the sensitivity control. I used it because it was the only system available in those days. There are better one's on the market now for the same money. Overstock.com is selling refurbished 2000 for $22.00. Good luck. Snyder2 :)
  • I just recieved my ECLIPSE BEC105 and tried to plug it in where the old camera on the back of my Landcruiser but the sytem does not "see anything. The monitor does not say "check surroundings for safety" Does anyone know if there is something else I need to do? Is the extra length of the cord causing the signal to fade? Frustrated!!! The damn thing plugs in itjust doesn't work!
  • Can you give me the Eclipse Tech Support number?
  • Here's the main number 310-327-2151 They should be able to get you to the correct person. Also here's a e-mail address: techsupport@lao.ten.fujitsu.com

I have a 2006 Solara and yes it is diffenitly plug and play so somethings wrong hopefully they can help you out
  • Can someone recommend a rear camera system for my 06 Yukon Denali that will utilize the monitor of my factory Navigation System. I plan to use it to hitch up my boat trailer in the dark/rain. I have found one unit called the BracketCAM, but it runs $700, and I was hoping to get into something for less.

Thanks,
    Marc
  • wrkisselwrkissel Posts: 4
    Sorry to be so late responding. This is the first time I have visited this site this year!
    I mounted the camera on the vinyl bumper cover behind the license plate. I cut out the "C" in Michigan at the top of the license plate and have the camera looking through the hole.
    I made a small clamp-on aluminum bracket to minimize hacking on the car.
    The installation is nearly invisible--you have to be looking for the camera to see it.
    I found that a tiny tab added to the top of the license plate bracket eliminated a bit of fogginess at night, coming from the license plate light. (A bit of electrical tape on the light lens would have been nearly as effective.)
    Routine car washes has kept the lens clean and it has required no additional attention.
    I hope that your experience with the camera has been as good as mine!
  • Do you use your camera for hooking up a boat hitch? I'm wondering how well it works for this. I will gladly spend the money if it does what I need it to do (hook up my boat trailer at night), but I'm hesitant to spend the money and then find out it was wasted.

Which camera are you using? Thanks for the info...

ciao,
    Marc
  • Sorry to check in so infrequently.

I have never used the camera to align a trailer hitch, but would expect it to be extremely effective if it is mounted behind or near the license plate.

I have been impressed by the width of the field. As you back up to another vehicle parking, you can see the complete front end until you are within a couple of feet of it. If you can't see it all, stop!

Best of Luck--Bill
  • delsydelsy Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have intention to install on the back bumper of my car a sensor that detects the obstacles; the last time I was reversing I did 250 $ of damage, therefore sailing on internet I found two typologies of sensor: one with four ultrasonic transducers, and another with only an aluminium tape. Owing to the fact that I have not intention to do holes on my bumper I would prefer the second invisible solution. For this reason I wish ask first a your opinion.
    Here is the link of the producer: http://www.proxel.com

Waiting for anybody who can give me an answer.

Bye!
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    well if you are only going to back into things that are metal, probably a nice solution (assuming it works as advertised).

What about that neighbor kid?
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 1,542
    The one you posted looks pretty good, but I didn't see where it was being sold in the US or a price.
    And the distance it shows is awful tight.
    80cm is less than 3 feet.

You might take a look at this one.
    obstaclesensor
    It is a license plate frame unit that mounts easily.
    At 6' distance, the sensor will be active in a 6' area.
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    opatience i got to bring a couple of units on line in the next couple of weeks and they must have backup alarms. this is a commercial application and must! be reliable. any recommendations. :shades:
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 1,542
    We use Ecco smart alarms or 600 series on all of our dump trucks.
    Most of our drivers like the Smart Alarm SA917, because it tones down in quiet areas.
    And they have a lifetime warranty.
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    thanks for the tip i will see if i can run them down. the peterbuilt dealer down the street should have them :)
  • bmwlifebmwlife Posts: 1
    I bought the reversing warning sensor from http://www.carsda.com , over 9 months it works still ok .

And I want to buy the wireless parking aid for my brother.
    The carsda guy said currently the wireless parking sensor systems is with a wireless display, that is, there is no wiring between the display and the control unit. much easier to install .

But i am afraid that is it able to work as well as the common ones?

Anybody has the experience ,please tell me . thanks !
  • In large vehicles such as minivans and SUVs, it's difficult to get a sense of what's behind you when you're backing up. This can be a dangerous problem if there are small children around, such as when you're picking up your child after school or sports practice. Rear parking sensors (sometimes called Rear Park Assist) ensure that you're made aware of objects behind you when the vehicle is in reverse. Usually, notification comes via audible beeps, but some systems use pillar-mounted light displays as well. Some manufacturers have gone a step beyond sensors by installing a rear-mounted camera that projects an image onto the vehicle's navigation screen whenever the vehicle in put in reverse. The Commercial Fleet Products website has both Rear Parking sensors and Rear-mounted Camera systems. Commercial Fleet Products
  • Hmm , rear view mirror are really important for our rearving and driving .In my opinion ,this small equipment can be listed in the trafic low for a car accesssroies.After all ,these are safety products.

I purchased a ear view mirror last year from here: http://www.espow.com/wholesale-car-electronics-parking-sensors.html and installed in 4Sstore. It is also working perfect now. Did help me a lot when reversing. :) ">link title
  • nisrailnisrail Posts: 3
    It seems recently lot of people talking about car backup system. Even my my old-fashioned neighbour is passionate on that, and everyday clean his TaoTronic TT-CC03 on the license plate with a rag, again and again. To me, the question is how to make a decision between a reversing sensor and a rear view camera. It seems the former will give me an alert and remind me of the obstacle with an shock into the brain via the ears, and that will be strongerly forcing me attention than the latter, which can give me a sight at the backward situation. Is there anyone who can give me a suggestion? I will be very appreciated.
    I have both installed.
  • nisrailnisrail Posts: 3
    Sounds Good! i got one cam some days ago, and had it installed. but new problem arose, this one captures not night vision...
    really it makes me a little bit uncomfortable, sometimes i want to change a new one with night vision, like my neighbour's. but maybe i should better resist myself on this, after all, it's not a good thing to build up a reliance on these digital ears or eyes.
124»