Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Santa Fe Transmission Problems

Comments

• how is hyundai using a sealed tranny on the santa fe you cant add fluid and didnt they have these problems like 10 years ago I was told there were no more tranny problems by alot of owners but while i was at the dealer I never saw so many tow trucks brining in dead hyundais
  • dbqfandbqfan Posts: 16
    I am on my 2nd transmission and still have the same problem. It seems to only do it when the engine and transmission are cold. The dealer and Hyundai seem to have lost there hearing when I complain about it so I am turning the whole mess over to the Iowa Lemon Law and my attorney. I am so sorry that I bought a Hyundai as the warranty is worthless. Hyundai and the dealer make you jump thru hoops to get a repair and then I get a used transmission with the same problems. I have stopped at a few dealers here and they do not want my Santa Fe on a trade due to the problem. I have to disclose my past history and that kills the deal right away. I am stuck with this lemon for now until I get a lawsuit filed. :mad: These dealers are all a bunch of crooks.
  • I have an 04 Sante Fe with an automatic/automatic shift transmission, the dash lights are showing the "D" light for Drive and the "1" for first gear, the display should only be showing the "D" if I am in automatic and "1" if I am in the shift mode, it will not shift up and down through the gears in either mode, the only way to get the transmission to shift is to get up to speed, shift into neutral, let the engine idle down, put it back in to drive and the dashboard light/transmission will shift into second gear.......repeat for third and fourth. I have tired unplugging the transmission location plug, blowing out both sides...did not work... I also disconnected the battery for 10 min and this did not help.. Any Ideas....... Please help
  • So much for the Great Hyundai Warranty.
    Many of us sympathize with you because we are in the same boat but just haven't gotten as far as you.
    Let us all know how your Lemon Law pursuit goes since many of us will follow suite eventually
  • Seems like this should be covered under your Tranny Warranty unless you have exceeded your mileage limit ?
    If you have, sounds like you need to go shopping.
  • We just experienced the same problem. We have replaced the throttle body twice on this 2008 Santa Fe. It just dies and we have no acceleration at all. It wasn't covered under warranty because it was done by a different dealer and because it was warranted for 50,000 miles. I have never had such a problem on any vehicle and am concerned about suddenly losing acceleration on the highway. I will not buy another Santa Fe.
  • jaycastlejaycastle Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    My wife's 06 3.5. Santa Fe with 55k miles, seems to be stuck in manual shift mode.
    The (D) indicator is missing in the (auto) mode, but it manually shifts OK if left in
    manual mode, starting in 1st, manually shifting as proper speed is assumed.
    I suspect the problem to be the (auto to manual switch) . The (brake applied)
    light would come on intermittently before the shift problem. I would like to know
    where the switches are located, whether inside the tranny or not??
  • Just goes to prove that Hyundai has never conquered their Transmission
    reputation. Weather you go back to the '90's, '06, '08, or even last year the story goes on & on.
    You would think they'd get it right when they come out with an upgraded version.
  • From Canada...
    I forget if mine is 2011 or 2010, I got it in March 2010... It's the Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5 Auto FWD. Got really good deal so I bought the vehicle but things that have been fixed so far

** 1. Transmission was slipping (replaced with brand new transmission)
    2. Paint on door (there was a paint air bubble on one of the doors)

Each time, the dealer loaned me a car to drive and the car was fixed in ~2 days max. So great service.

Overall. It's a car you can get at a great value with loads of features, I recommend it...

** With hindsight, I think the transmission might not have been the issue and it's the car's crazy sensitive gas pedal. **
  • Maybe it isn't the Service that's inconsistent but rather depends on what country you live in.
    Here in the US, they replace transmissions with Re builds and they would never replace anything on your sensitive manner of driving-- they would Test Drive and base on their "professional" opinion.
  • Nothing to do with country. The dealer also wanted to rebuild the transmission but I fought for a new transmission and I also had the paint issue on the car. So I think the dealer just gave me the benefit of the doubt.
  • marybamaryba Posts: 1
    I got a new transmission under warranty (after much fighting) but still not great...now downshifting I feel a hesitation around 60-50 KPH. Am I crazy or do I have a lemon?
  • I have a 2010 Santa Fe V6 3.5L Sport. Has 30K on it.

Over the last couple weeks there has a been a knocking here and there. Today the knocking/jerking became very bad. As we accelerate, the transmission seems to slipping all over the place.

We're not very happy with it. We're making arrangements to drop it off tomorrow while we go on vacation. I'll want a new transmission for sure.

I think it's safe to not blame your gas pedal. :)
  • Are you aware of the FIX for these tranny problems? Take it to the dealer and have them apply TSB 11-AT-011-1 (or any update). This fixed my problem with the harsh/ abrupt shifting. I had it done back in May and have smooth shifting since. I have posted here before concerning this topic. I REFUSED a new tranny (they will tell you NEW but it would be REBUILT). BTW any transmission will "clunk" such as at low speeds (going through a parking lot) as sometimes it will start to go into a gear but you force it to downshift due to the "crawling" through parking lot. Good luck!
  • caguilarhcaguilarh Posts: 3
    Hi I have the same problem with my SF.
    I found information about the magnetic coupling .
    Did you fix your car??
    I own a 2004 Santa Fe 4WD LX, 3.5L V6 with 5-spd Automatic and "SHIFTRONIC" Function
  • caguilarhcaguilarh Posts: 3
    edited May 2012
    I own a 2004 Hyundai santa fe 3.5 4WD

since I bought it feels like a jerk when accelerate from 0 to 20 milles and its worse when up a hill.

I read it could be a magnetic coupling.

someone else with this problem?
  • grampy1grampy1 Posts: 140
    Does anybody know if the transmission issues have been solved? I just bought a new
    2012 Santa Fe with 4 cylinders and am wondering if the tranny problems are in/on the 4 cylinders.
  • chucko6chucko6 Posts: 81
    You would have to follow the Tranny posts to see which engine dominates the problem. They have had a couple of computer updates to minimize the complaints, but in my case, the shifting problems remain the same
    as they were when my 6 cylinder (2010) was new.
  • tlewistontlewiston Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe, with automatic and 3.1 V6 (no AWD). When stopped on hill, car would not go forward & started to back into car behind me. I pressed on the accelerator until, with brakes squealing. it shot forward. A few days later, the wife started it up after work. It accelerated suddenly, almost hitting parked car. It goes to the dealer tomorrow, and I will mention the magnetic coupling and TSB possibilities. If it doesn't get fixed right, or they can't find anything at all, I will be contacting Hyundai and the Natl Traffic Safety board.
  • seabee7seabee7 Posts: 2
    I own a 2005 sante fe and while im driving, no matter the speed, it will shift down then back up and over and over again. some times it doesnt do it at all and then it will just out of the blue do it again. does anyone know why this might be happening?