Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln Navigator Stereo iPod MP3 Navigation

grusongruson Posts: 17
Hey guys,
I recently purchased a 2006 with every option except 4x4.

I am hoping someone can help me out and let me know of an Ipod "kit" that will work with the Navigation/audio system.

Hopefully I can use the factory components to control the Ipod.

Has anyone done this?

Please let us know details/costs.

Thanks!

Comments

• ejjones55ejjones55 Posts: 10
    The amp in the rear passenger panel has gone on me. I need to get a replacement. What year/s Navigator/s will work? Any idea where to get one? PLEASE HELP, my sound sucks I GOT NO BASS
  • tonykeastonykeas Posts: 3
    I have an amp if you want it, brand new from the dealer is $90.00, i'll take $50.00 to my paypal if you want it.... let me know.
    Your amp will work for sure in my 2002 Navigator? What vehicle/year did the amp come out of? Or brand new?
    $50.00 out the door (that includes shipping) ???
  • I have an 04 that was making an odd popping electrical sound that was coming from the rear passenger speaker position the other morning, I turned the head unit off and the noise went away and came back when I turned it on. When I backed out of the garage it quit and has not happened since. Did yours do anything simular before it quit completely?
  • gryhnd1gryhnd1 Posts: 9
    My sub amp also blew in my 2002 Nav. I called the local junkyard and they had just sold their only one the day before :/ so I ordered new through the dealer. Try your local junkyards first and see what they have.

Very easy to swap it out.
    I have a 2002 that I just installed a Monster iCruze into yesterday. So far so good! They can be had on the cheap on ebay. Used to run into the hundreds of dollars...I got a full blown kit plus display for about $60.

No idea if it works with a 2006, but you can ask the seller first:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZa.u.d.i.o.n.l.i.n.eQQhtZ-1
    2002 4x4, Alpine audio, 6 disc changer.

I just installed an iCruze kit to allow my iPod to play via the CD option on the OEM head unit.

One power wire required being on an accessory lead. In retrospect I'd really like this to be on the delayed circuit that keeps the radio on after turning the car off, but before opening the doors. Without that, the radio stays on but the iCruze shuts off.

I'd prefer not to have to yank the head unit out again and probe the harness (it was tough packing all the extra iCruze cables in there), so I am wondering if anyone knows a lead under the dash (or elsewhere) I can tap into to get this functionality?
    How much from dealer? Did anyone tell you that any amp out of Navigator or Expedition will work from 98-02??? I heard that, but don't know if true?? Did you have to pull all the panels off the passenger side from the door back to the trunk to get to the amp?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    I'm not 100% sure but I think the way the delayed accessory feature works on Lincolns the radio gets an unswitched power lead and another wire that signals the radio when to shut off. So there is no power lead that you can tap into to mimic the delay.

You can easily verify that by unplugging the harness(es) and testing each one with a voltmeter to see if it's hot during the 10 minute delay but not afterwards.
    > How much from dealer?

I don't recall exactly. More than I thought it was worth though. Less than $200...somewhere around $100. A quick phone call will answer that question for you.

> Did anyone tell you that any amp out of Navigator or Expedition will work from 98-02

I had no reason to ask.

> Did you have to pull all the panels off the passenger side from the door back to the trunk to get to the amp?

Yes. If you go to Crutchfield and look at the direct fit subwoofer replacement they offer, there are detailed instructions on how to do it. Seems like a lot at first, but it was very simple.
    > You can easily verify that by unplugging the harness(es) and testing each one

Thanks. Ya, but as I mentioned above I'm trying to avoid that. Packing all the extra iCruze cables in behind the head unit was a chore :) .
  • i have a 2002 navigator with stock alpine stero..my sub amp went bad so i tried to replace it. i cut off the connecter to try to connect the new amp and it didnt work. i dont know which wire is which other than the remote wire. also is it a high or low input to the new amp please help!!! thank you
  • I had tried that too (hi, low, converters, you name it). for quite a while. I couldn't get it to work so I gave up and just bought a replacement.
  • Hi Fellow Navi Fans. I have a 2003 Navigator that came with the factory sound package/navigation. I noticed the speakers sound a bit weak after you listen to loud music for 20-30 minutes. I am planning to replace the factory speakers and add a custom box for added bass, however, keeping the head unit and navigation factory. Any ideas where to start? I had a GMC Denali before and I had to rewire the entire car since each speaker had a built-in am attached to it. Anyone ran into the same issue? Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Giovanni
    One word: Crutchfield. They can tell you everything you need in the way of adapters, amp bypasses, etc and they have all the hardware.

If you're just replacing the door speakers you shouldn't need anything special. There are no separate amps for those. The sub may be a different story.
  • The dealership, sales rep and parts department are no answer, neither is the internet. Does anyone know if the THX (no navigation) head unit has preamp outputs? It says that there are 2 subwoofers and a total of 600 watts on line, but it doesn't go into any details as to preamp outs, % of thd and stuff. I'd like to just keep the head unit in the dash since it will match much better, already is sync'd with the suv's info center to mute when getting too close to backing up and stuff. Plus it's nice to have the extra controls in the back and the steering wheel controls. I'm sure I'd loose all of that if I tried an aftermarket unit.
    The stereo isn't very loud compared to my old school Pontiac 6000 which had a $14,000 system in it. I'd just like to know if I am screwed with the factory unit.
    Plus, anyone know if there is room in the doors to hide low heat amps? I like the old school Carver amps that put out almost no heat and don't need cooled. I am sure I wouldn't have a heat problem if they were confined to the doors. Sub amps I know I would have to modify the rear gate panel to tuck them in there.
    Anyone ever try to tear the 3rd row seats out and make a cabinet on the frame to fold flat for when you really need the extra cargo room? Or am I thinking too crazy? I think an open air amp could be done like that.
    Any help?
    Thanks
    You'd be hard pressed to get a better sounding aftermarket setup. Louder? Sure, but the THX has been specifically tuned for that vehicle and has more than enough power for accurate reproduction.

That said, I doubt there are any lineouts on the head unit. The door speaker amps are probably integrated. Just use an amp with speaker level inputs or a converter.
  • Hard pressed to get a better sounding aftermarket setup? Maybe not at Best Buy, but there is a lot of better equipment out there ;) . I'm sure, just like your home stereo, this thing is at least 10%THD. I like to stay in the range of .04% as a maximum. This factory system probably only gets to about 100db if you are lucky not to distort it at max volume. I'm looking to get a bit louder, clearer and more range. They do a nice job with the subs for a factory unit, thats why I was thinking they may have pre amped them. Their spots will make a nice mid bass placement. Just need to figure out where to put a couple on 15" subs as well.
    Anyone know if this thing has Pre Amp Outs? Any way to find a model number or manufacturer?
    No way the THX system is 10% THD. The THX system is custom designed and tuned to each vehicle.

You're obviously looking for loud and that's not what the THX system is about.
  • I had heard from some friends that I could add a Mod to the factory NAV system that would enable this DVD system to play video on the NAV screen. I can't find any info on the internet to support this information, please help.