Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exploding Sunroofs!

Happen to you guys yet?

Was on driving doing maybe 50-60mph and suddenly heard this loud pop coming from my roof. Sounded like something exploded.

At first I thought someone had actually landed on my roof!! Saw debrises flying off my roof from the rearview mirror.

Open the sunroof shade and realized a huge hole in the middle of the sunroof!! I had to close it cuz the smaller pieces of glass were falling. What would've happened if I had the sunroof open?

I've read somewhere that the NHTSA is investigating Scion's sunroof shattering. Wonder if this is related to Scion's??

Comments

• ricksterqricksterq Posts: 45
    Wow, that's a bummer. I haven't had this problem with my IS250. I'm coming up on a year old. I HAVE had a problem with some squeeking or a "chirping" kind of noise coming from my moonroof on an intermittent basis. Seems to happen when I'm on the freeway and the moonroof is in tilt position. Lexus has yet to even hear it.
  • OMG... Are you seriously serious?! I have never heard of that one but...now shocked...Did you go to the Lexus dealer? What did they say? OR repairing services. :surprise:
  • went to the dealer and they said they had a lex rep inspected and claimed that it was struck by an outside object which voided my warranty (for a replacement).

there's no way it was hit by a rock or object because i was the only one (car) on the freeway at that time.

they showed me a mark where an object might have hit (far right corner) but then why there's a huge hole right in the middle of my sunroof? plus the edges of the remain sunroof glass caved upward.

well took my car to the dealer and they said they want to give me a goodwill gesture (because great customer service and satisfaction as a dealer and mfc) they'll have the sunroof replaced and fixed for free.

by the way,,,if you guys are not using your sunroof i strongly suggest you guys to have your sunroof shade closed! those pieces of glasses did some major damage to my roof metal and paint! imagine those sharp glasses flying into your face or eyes!
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Do you mind to post some pictures about your exploded sunroof?
  • cbrisleycbrisley Posts: 1
    My family and I were returning to Cincinnati from Philadephia about two hours out of Philly. About 8:00 am. Cabin Temp 72 - outside temp 26. On the PA turnpike with nearest vehicle about 1/2 mile ahead - No overpass or falling rock zone and not a single scratch anywhere else on the car.

Car is a 2007 Avalon with only 2800 miles at the time.

Suddenly there is an explosion and a very loud wind noise. I felt nothing on the drive train and saw nothing but heard the loud rush of wind over my head. Pulled over and discovered a huge hole in the middle of the sunroof with the remaining glass spidered to the edge. The edges of the glass were all turned upward as if the impact was from inside the vehicle. Able to get to an oasis and buy duct tape and obtain cardboard. Called dealership and they agreed to take a look at it.

Thought it strange but now I am more curious.
  • It was on June 4th 2007 when it happened. I was in a 2006 Cadillac STS by myself doing approx. 70 mph with a temperature of 74 degrees outside and an inside temp set at 72 degrees. All windows and sunroof all closed tightly. I was nose to nose with a semi with no other vehicle in front to be seen and all of a sudden an explosion! I flew off of the left side of road and regained control after a couple seconds. I looked all around and saw my sunroof was mostly gone except for the perimeter which was in a million pieces still intact though. I had glass all down my shirt, in my eyes and throughout the entire car. It was such an explosion I had hearing problems for days and found through Stat Care that I had fluid behind my eardrum from the explosion. I continued to my office where I cleaned out my eyes and clothing of glass particles. Then took the car to the dealership where they claim I had to have been hit by a rock...I DON'T see any possible way a rock hit my roof doing 70 mph when NO BODY was in front of me and I am nose to nose with a semi...
    Can not explain this, but it could of been a terrible accident in the making..??????
  • cworthincworthin Posts: 2
    We had this happen on our 2000 VW NB while wife driving on hgwy - hot day (over 90) popping sound and sunroof shattered. Dealer tech stated he thought it looked like it exploded outwards - not from external source. We had replaced and now two weeks later while sitting inside house i heard a loud popping sound & went out to find the rear window had shattered - same thing - totally looks like outward pressure caused it. I've taken pic's which show the outward direction & NO penetration holes from external source. Called dealer & they claim never to have been aware of this happening. Glass company states that they have seen examples of shattering due to excesive heat/pressure build up. The interior of car 160+degrees & the glass actually 140 degrees to the touch (used meat thermometer). have been told that there may be a compound issue related to the tinting which contributes to this - am researching this now. Too much of coincidence for there not to be some other explanation. Both hot days - car parked in sun. AC on ads pressure if outside air vent closed & fan on high. The other just pressure building while sitting in hot sun. I wonder if keeping the airvent closed causes extra pressure to build up?
  • We got home from work yesterday and the rear window of our 02 VW Passat had exploded from the inside while sitting in the driveway. The shatter-proof glass kept it in place, but it's completely shattered, pushed in an outward direction. Over 100 degrees, and it was parked in the sun. Life.
  • porchieporchie Posts: 20
    My sons 01 Dodge Dakota had the passenger side window blow out the other day. He said he heard a loud popping sound and then a 'bam' sort of sound and the window shattered. No one around for as far as he could see. Driving on a road at about 45 mph. He didn't see anyone anywhere. Nothing was found inside the car that would have able to break the window. The glass guy said he had heard of windows just 'exploding' for no apparent reason. It was a very hot day 90+, but this happened in the early evening. Just weird! Luckily no one was hurt.
  • Our 1985 Dodge Caravan (when new) with the optional deep tinted factory sunscreen glass imploded on us while sitting in the sun. Not many glass shards on the outside but what a mess inside! :cry:
  • toby_xtoby_x Posts: 1
    Just happened to me yesterday!!!

Driving on the freeway, minding my own business, and.....BOOM!!!

I thought a gun went off or maybe a tire exploded. I Looked around at the other cars
    on the freeway but no one was swerving.

A few minutes later I looked up to close the sunroof and noticed it was shattered but held together by the tint.

Glass replacement company needed to order the glass and said it would take two days, so they taped it up and let me drive away.

On the freeway, everything seemed fine until I started to hear the sound of tape ripping. Then the entire sunroof all taped together, ripped off and slid down the roof and trunk and finally into traffic where it exploded into thousands of shards of glass.
  • The sunroof just exploded on my wife's 2008 CX 7 as we were driving on the road at about 65 mph yesterday. I just cannot blame that a rock could have caused this. I believe that the contributing factor is a metal bar that runs across and underneath the front of the sunroof is too close to the sunroof. If a rock or other object hit the sunroof right above the metal bar, it could cause the sunroof to shatter. Another assumption or contributing factor is a variation of temperatures between the sunroof and this metal bar. I am putting this info out there to see if other CX 7 owners have had this happen to them or if it happens to others in the future. My insurance company will be replacing my sunroof at a cost of $50.00 for the deductible. Perhaps Mazda needs to re-engineer the sunroof assembly.

:(
  • esfoadesfoad Posts: 210
    Shouldn't Mazda replace that sunroof for free under the manufacturer's warranty?
  • The moon roof glass in my 2001 PT Cruiser broke yesterday. Going about 60 on the freeway, and boom! Thought something hit me at first, but then realized that the glass has simply shattered. There is no evidence of anything having hit it, and it appears to be bubbled outward, as if from pressure inside the car. Out of warranty, of course, but seems like the manufacturers should do something about this.
  • wdlwdl Posts: 1
    Boom! (rattle)..like a rock and sand had hit the car (2007 CX7-2 days ago).
    A frantic search finds all ok, still going 60 mph, crowded highway, no overpass, not hit by another car.Took the next off-ramp and found a hole in the middle of a shattered sun roof - glass blown upward? The inner slide was closed and caught the pieces - no sign of anything punching thru from the outside which surely would have bust thru the slide as well. We had just driven from the Oregon coast over a very cold and snowy mountain road.The rain had let up when this happened. The heat was on inside. We think its the temp. difference combined with a defect glass.
    Went straight to the dealer in Portland - great service! Warranty covered the repair and car hire!
    I read a similar report on a RAV4
  • lshoeelshoee Posts: 1
    We were driving about 75 mph and went under a bridge and the sunroof just exploded. When we pulled over we noticed that the glass was pushed UP not down like something hit it. Can it just implode. No windows were open in the car at the time - could it be a change in pressure as we went under the bridge? Glass rained down everywhere but thankfully none of us were injured. Is it true that Mazda pays to replace it. I have their extended warranty.
  • Add me to the club. My 16 mos. old Avalon ltd. just had it's sunroof go "POP".
    Driving with it in the tilted position. Nothing came by to hit it. It just went.
    The dealer, Wilde Toyota, Milwaukee, WI is taking care of it. They noticed
    scratches in the trunk lid paint from the glass shards and are having both the glass and repaint covered under warranty. (They're handling it well so far, no hassles).
    They claim they hadn't really seen this happen before but when it happened
    to me, I thought of these postings so I wasn't too shocked.
    No cause from heat, pressure or impact, just a flaw in the glass somewhere that finally went.
  • ajgrantcshajgrantcsh Posts: 9
    Same thing for me on a brand new (4 months) 2009 BMW 335 xi. . I was not going under an overpass, there were no trucks near me, nor were there too many other cars in the vicinity. I heard a loud pop and my sunroof shattered. I saw nothing coming at me, nor did I find any rocks in the car.

BMW sent out an engineer. He and the national engineering group evaluated the damage and maintain that the sunroof was hit by something. They have denied any responsibility for covering the repairs, so it's going through my insurance company. Total bill was just over $2,000 to replace the glass, clean out all the glass fragments that were in the headliner and paint the trunk and roof - they had lots of scratches from the flying glass shards. I still don't see how anything could have hit the car given where I was - maybe a bird dropped a stone. It's been almost 3 weeks - two weeks waiting for the BMW and insurance adjusters and a week to do the work. I just want my car back and get out of the awful Dodge Charger I rented. That's another thing. BMW offered to put me into a rental while the car was waiting to be evaluated and then backed out when it became an insurance claim - so I also have the excess rental charges to pay for.

The report I got from BMW indicated that the glass exploded from the impact of a small stone and the difference in air pressure and temperature between the interior and exterior. I was at sea level and the temperature inside and outside was almost identical. I'm really skeptical about that explanation.
  • britmombritmom Posts: 2
    I just had the same thing on my 2008 bmw, did you have any problems getting it fixed? I had the glass replaced, by the authorised glass people with safelite, and now my sunroof is not working properly! I KNEW I should have gone to the dealer to get it fixed!! It will open, and go halfway, then open again!! The guy just could not get it to work, so I am now HOPEFULLY going to get it sorted with the dealer. My sunroof was at a tilt when it exploded! same thing didn't drive under anything, not driving too fast, no trucks close by, no birds about....just an almighty noise and then glass chips falling on my head!!!!! I did not even realise it was my car!!!...have to get mine painted too...just want it fixed!!!!!!
  • ajgrantcshajgrantcsh Posts: 9
    Sorry to hear of your ongoing problem. Despite what BMW said, I do believe there is ample evidence that these things just explode spontaneously.

I did take mine to my dealer's body shop. They did a superb job with both the roof and the paint. Just one small problem I have is a rattle somewhere in the roof. I think it's the shade thumping against something when I go over rough road. Made an appointment to drop it off next week to take care of that.

Good luck with your repair.