Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Technical Service Bulletins

Comments

• ray80ray80 Posts: 1,257
    Is there a TSB that deals with headlights shutting off (ONLY in high beam mode) when turning on right turn signal?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,843
    No I checked the list on ALLDATA, including new entries, and nothing like that.

That's a multi-function switch isn't it? (works directionals + lights?) If so that's where I'd look .

Yes it is one of those 'does everything but butter your bread' switchs, and is most likely the culprit. I just don't want to replace it only to find the problem is some strange electronic malfuntion or due to streching a wire when in hi-beam mode. (plus of course it only happens once in a whle)
    Well you'll spend as much time and money on a wire by wire diagnosis as you would taking a chance on this switch, seems to me. I hate to encourage "guessing" but in electrical matters, sometimes an educated guess is the best course IMO.

• Thanks for the informative post on the p1811 shifting problems!!! very helpful!
  • kujothkujoth Posts: 1
    I found a TSB on edmunds.com, but how do I get the details of the bulletin?

139. SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:ANTILOCK:ABS WARNING LIGHT
    Bulletin Number: 111000
    Bulletin Date: Oct 2000
    Vehicle: 2,001 Chevrolet Cavalier

Summary:
    CUSTOMER MAY COMMENT THAT THE ABS LIGHT COMES ON WHEN THE TRANSMISSION IS PLACED IN SECOND AND FOURTH GEAR. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 617666 )
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 1,542
    Its an NHTSA number, so you will likely have to play their game to get the info.
    It isn't in the manufacturer's database, so it is one of those numbers that NHTSA has pulled out of thin air.
  • Hi All,
    I am a new user to this site and just logged on tonight so hi to you all.
    Please can anyone help?
    I am in the UK. I have a 2002 Thunderbird. I just love it and it is a rare beast over here. Can anyone suggest where I can get a service manual from All traces so far have prooved fruitless. Haynes do not seem to do one. Do I have to go direct to Ford?

Can anyone tell me how often the recommended service should be?
    What oil do you suggest.
    What air filter is best.
    It seems to "Smell" hot after a few blasts but not temperature wise. anyone know of any issues.
    Have been told to fit cool air intake . Any comments would be fantastic as you guys over the pond certainly know how to build your cars.
    By the way I am a total novice at all this - and even worse - I am female !! :D So I need all the help I can get. :confuse:
    Look forward to your comments.
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    go to www.helminc.com

Sign up for a short length subscription, download and print whatever pieces you need/want.
  • Hi Kiawah,
    Thanks for the help.
    I will be back with lots of questions :)
  • :) Hi all - I have a 2001 intrepid r/t with 125,000 effortless miles. I recently have developed 2 reocurring issues:

1. The inner tie rods I believe have a tsb for them

2. code on computer basically saying "replace me."

Does anyone know of tsb's for these issues. I am down and out on my luck financially due to job loss and would appreciate any help.
    Didn't find anything quite like that, searching a couple of databases. I presume you know of course that a TSB is only an advisory to a dealer and he is under no obligation to perform the task, and he can charge you for it at any rate.

There is this one elusive TSB numbered bulletin Number: 1900101, march 2001, that I can't find any details about---something about clunks in the steering. This goes under NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 619127--so maybe you can go on the NHTSA site and track it down that way.

I didn't see anything about a faulty computer, sorry.

• I found the 1900101 also - it states that if there is play on the inner tie rod bushing's, it gives part numbers, tools and time needed to repair so I would assume that was covered.

So basically if I can get the inner tr's done for free, it would almost be like a buy one, get one repair - I can deal with that.

Besides having the dealer do the computer, I can pick one up for a song, and I gather I would just need the dealer to flash it with the correct mileage at time of install. No problem installing it myself - its under the fuse box on the drivers side under the hood. :sick:

Thanks again - if anyone else has any ideas, please feel free to chime in
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Good luck in getting the dealer to do any type of service work other than a recall for free regardless whether you supplied the parts or not. Those TSBs probably would've been covered under the factory warranty. Once that expires they are under no obligation to fix it.
  • Well 3 responses to your good wishes obvone:

1. The dealer that I bought the car from was an adiot. I got such a good deal on the car originally that I needed to run out the door and not ask questions. It was a 2001 purchased in 2003 with 6000 miles on it. It was a little ole lady back and forth to church car. $9,500 for a $24,000 car ain't too shabby.

2. I have every single receipt for it since day 1 and the dodge dealer that I use already told me that he would do the itr's for free which was confirmed today.

3. computer already purchased - dealer agreed to charge 1 hour labor to flash it.

But anyway........... I appreciate the good wishes :)
    Well then the dealer is either doing it out of his own pocket, which is very nice, or maybe he has extra discretionary funding from the factory, given to dealers on the "A' list, but the TSB wouldn't allow this as "warranty" work. You are long past warranty---so this sounds like a good will settlement of some kind.

• And because he did that, I am buying a new vehicle from hiim and trading in the intrepid. Thanks for the help!
    There you go---a win / win situation.

• shagnatshagnat Posts: 78
    With a stinkin' GM product, it may be a multitude of things. Also, they'd rather you burn up in your car and pay the lawsuit than to recall 10K vehicles.
    Doing business with GM, et al is like dealing with the devil, you WILL get burned.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    So what's new? Almost all the manufacturers look at it as a bottom line decision. Is it cheaper to pay the lawsuit or repair 4 million vehicles? Answer is simple. GM is not an isolated case.
  • shagnatshagnat Posts: 78
    Do you know what "el al" means? Look it up before you say the same thing I did, just you used many more words.
    Yep, most of the big businesses are just about the $$ and no concern for anything else; environment, employees, what's best for the customer, et al.
  • I"ve got a 2001 Honda Civic LX Coupe, 1.7L motor, (No side impact airbags)
    I've got a noise comign from the suspension that I can't quite figure out.. Springs look good, end links are good, control arm busihings are good. I"m trying to find more info on the below TSB"s for that car. My left strut needs replacement, but the noise is coming from the right, and I can't figure it out.. :cry:

TSB: 03039 : NHTSA# 10003482, Apr 2004 -- This one for sure
    TSB: 01054: NHSTA #'s 627331, 623222, 624364 - This one too

TSB: 5905 : NHSTA# 629541 Feb 02-- maybe this one
    TSB: 010101 NHTSA: 624152 -- not so much

There are some other suspension TSB's for this model as well but most look like alingment spec adjustment's to the shop manual, and some replacement details

I've checked out multiple sources and have not really been able to find anything that lists the offendign part / in/out of waranty repair qualification

Obviously the car is out of waranty (Age not Mileage, Grandma's car, it only has 23k miles on it, which kills me that she's had a strut replaced and I need to replace at least 1 strut and whatever is broken on the right side)
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 1,542
    edited April 2010
    I will tell you what I tell my customers..............
    First, repair the KNOWN problems.
    Those problems (the bad strut) will affect the entire front end.
    And don't rely to much on the NHTSA numbers and info. The manufacturer's information isn't the same as their's and often the manufacturer doesn't even consider their information.

But, this is the most common front end noise problem I know of.

Suspension - Front Suspension Knock, Pop or Squeak
    03-039
    April 2, 2004
    Applies To:
    2001 Civic - ALL
    Knock, Pop, or Squeak From the Front Suspension
    (Supersedes 03-039, dated July 29, 2003)
    Updated information is shown with asterisks and black bars.
    SYMPTOM
    A knock, pop, or squeak comes from the front of the vehicle. The noise occurs when driving over rough roads.
    PROBABLE CAUSE
    Cracking or tearing of the front, lower control arm bushing (compliance bushing).
    CORRECTIVE ACTION
    Replace the defective front compliance bushing(s).
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    edited April 2010
    Apparently, ALL Civics for 2006-7 have a problem with cracking engine blocks. Honda may give a goodwill contribution if out of warranty, but secondary damage like warped heads is still not covered.

I predict a glut of used Honda Civis with poor resale values after the dust settles, and a lot of people disappointed in Honda's reputation for great engines.
  • Hrm, I've checked the LCA bushing on both sides and they look perfect. I'm going to pull the strut off and take a look at the bump-stop and strut bearing.

I knwo I've got to replace the strut.. but I want to do both (Seems stupid to do just 1) and I was trying to see what else I should be looking at in order to fix this..
  • Hi All --

I'm new to this forum and am researching an O2 sensor related issue on my 00 Lexus LS400. The replaced sensor continues to burn out almost every year and I'm wondering if there is a TSB out there for such an issue?

Also, has anyone been successful in getting mechanic and/or dealership to pay for repair(s) related to TSBs especially if the car was out of warranty?

thank you!
    No TSBs about recurrent failure but there is a TSB on properly identifying which 02 sensor to replace, so I guess it's possible the dealer is getting mixed up:

L-SB-0188-09

December 23, 2009

Engine Bank 1 and Bank 2 A/F and 02 Identification

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------

TSB are strictly advisory and the dealer is under no obligation to perform the TSB at all. As for warranty, unless the TSB states that a warranty claim is applicable, then it doesn't apply to a warranty situation and the customer is charged accordingly.

• Do you know the Digimaster II? Maybe or not, but what i want to say is that i bought one not long ago.

To be frank with you, i think Digimaster II is a good car diagnostic tool, but the Digimaster II is not suitable for my car, so if you want to use it, please care about the specification.

If you have good ideas, please share them with me, i will appreciate...