Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy S10 - GMC S15 and Sonoma In-tank fuel pump

2»

Comments

• gonogogonogo Posts: 869
    You need to get it towed in and have it properly diagnosed, it could be a number of things.
  • Use your "nightstick" and bang on the tank with the key on. That will usually get the pump operating and the vehicle will start. That is a temporory fix to get it somewhere to have the pump replaced. I have a fleet of GM vehicles, and this trick works if it's the pump.
    Those pumps are very expensive, and replacing them is also expensive, because the tank has to be drained and lowered to get at the pump. It's a simple job, IF you have the proper equipment, such as a vehicle lift, and a roll around tank with a pump to drain the tank, and refill it when finished.
    While you have it on the rack, get those U-joints replaced..! I don't know why the u-joints would be out at that low mileage, unless you 4 wheel it and it's seen a lot of water and mud. My personal S-10 with 160K on it has the original U-joints. Perhaps get them checked to make sure that is the problem.
    Good luck
  • What should the fuel pressure be on a 1996 s-10 4.3 eng. :confuse:
  • cruzer23cruzer23 Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 S-10 4x4 too with pump problems, there is a fuse/relay in the fuse block in the engine compartment for the fuel pump. You can swap it with the one for the horn for a quick check. I got a new pump at Advanced Auto for $290.00.
  • hoodlatchhoodlatch Mid-westPosts: 255
    Today's cars have the fuel pump inside the fuel tank. If there is fuel leaking to the point where you smell fuel it is probably some where along the fuel line. Next time you get it started trace the fuel line out hand over hand from the tank to the injectors. It's time consuming but its cheaper than paying your mechanic to do it. Just remember before you crawl under your car make sure you have jack stands under it.
  • reaper1reaper1 Posts: 1
    Hi, yes I can. The carb gasket has an electrical grid , If the ceramic grid is damaged, the truck will behave with the same symptoms you have descibed.
    The grid is heated and provides proper atomization of the fuel, when it is damaged
    I think the piece of crap carb ices up. I had the same problem, rebuilt the carb,but it
    didn't help. Replaced the $80.00 gasket and it solved it!
2»