Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Tribeca 2008

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    huh?

Well I watched the video, and if that's offroading, then I am completely off base in my remarks about offroading. That video was little more than the access road to what would be considered offroading. 99% of what was done there could have been done with almost any of the Subarus, easily with the Outback or Tribecca.

Why call me a jerk? Anyways Happy T-Giving!

-mike
    You haven't changed Mike. You're still the same jerk you've always been. I'm finished with this discussion—and you as well.

Bob

If you are referring to the missing post, I re-read what I wrote and decided it was a poor post and decided to change my response.

I had no idea you thought I was a jerk, odd cause I always respected your opinions on things, heck even think of you as a friend, not sure of why the hostility all of a sudden.

-mike
  • verdugoverdugo Posts: 2,012
    The new V8 4.7L in the Grand Cherokee gives 14/19 MPG. I'd agree with you that it's "petrol hungry." However, the Tribeca's V6 only gives 16/21 MPG. It's not much better really, considering how much more powerful the V8 is.

I really like the Tribeca, and if I didn't want to go off road, get HIDs, or bluetooh, I would've gotten it. We had an Impreza and it was great.
    Basically they say it's a nice on-roader....

I'd like to see on-roaders do this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEXwIQxtI4o

(2003 Launch in Moab of the first generation Touareg)
  • batman47batman47 Posts: 606
    Great then I will be OK with my Tribeca going to Dead Horse, Alaska. Thanks mates I think I can relax now a have a good sleep. If the Tribeca can do what the Touareg does in the video then I am quite happy (although I have serious doubts): 22.8' of water, 35-degree of lateral inclination, and 45-degree uphill. I thought my Tribeca was a off-road baby.
    No way can a Tribeca do what a Touareg does off road. But if you're just going on dirt roads, you'll be fine. Have an excellent trip!
  • toboggantoboggan Posts: 283
    Nope, it was several weeks before Halloween.

Geeze, didn't realize so many days had passed. Gotta get on here more often.

MNSteve
  • Hi everyine!
    I am new to this forum. I just purchased a brand new 2008 Subaru Tribeca Limited 5-Passenger Obsedian Black Pearl color. I live in Pennsylvania. I test drove a few SUV's before deciding on this vehicle. I really enjoy driving it, although it's only been 3 days. So far I put in 400 miles. It has excellent overall design and interior futures. I am especially loving the interior layout and design with operational controls. It runs like a charm and is very quite except some wind noise from the driver side window. The power is more than I needed with lots of horsepower. The steering is very responsive. I had a few people stare at the car and told me what a fine looking car it is. I am extremely happy with my decision to purchase this car.
    I am sure I will have some questions for those of you who are an expert on this car and can give me good advice. My first question is about the Auto Climate Control System. I understand some of it, but when I turn the Auto button "ON" the A/C button also turns "ON". When I turn off the A/C button the Auto button turns off as well. Is it possible to turn off the A/C button but keep the Auto button on? I guess I don't fully understand this complex climate control system. I did read the owners manual but am stil confused. Also when I turn the OFF button on air keeps flowing fron the vent although the manual says that "the outside air introduction mode (air inlet selection OFF) is automatically selected".
    I really appreciate your comments on this.
    Thanks and have a great day.
    When you turn the A/C off manually, it goes into semi-automatic mode so the full auto-light goes off. Basically by turning off the A/C button you eliminate it from using the A/C to get you to the temp desired, so it's considered semi-automatic mode. I was confused on this in my 05 LGT but figured it out over time.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    IMHO batman nailed it, with 16.5 degrees angle of approach, you're going to damage the front spoiler pretty early on that off road trip if there are ups and downs.
    Yes, the approach/departure angle is an important factor in taking a soft off road car to the test. It appears that it is the nose design that govern the off road (soft) capability of a car. I think many people adventure few months on track/fields roads and the rest of the year just take the children to school or shopping. I think any 4WD or AWD with a proper nose design can perform well on gravel or muddy roads. For example in Japan the CX-7 or Cx-9 are sold with noses for off road (soft) adventures. Here are some details of angles: Approach/Departure.

Cayenne 32/25
    X5 25/23
    X3 24/22
    LR2 31/34
    VUE 18/23
    Outlander 22/21
    CX-9 17/21
    CX-7 20/25
    Rouge 22/20
    RAV4 28/29
    CR-V 29/24
    X_Trail 28/25
    Tucson 28/32
    Santa Fe 26/23
    Sorento 28/27
    Sportage 29/29
    Hummer H2 41/40
    FJ Cruiser 34/30
    4Runner 31/24
    Hummer H3 40/37
    XL7 28/23
  • I have the 2008 Tribeca Limited 5-Passenger. The catalog said to have 9 speakers but I was only able to locate 4 in front and 2 in back seat area. Where are the other 3? Or is 9 speaker available only for the 7 passenger? I am confused or am not able to look and see.
    Please help. Thanks.
    LR2 stands out as a small, livable alternative.

They're a bit small and pricey, though.
    The Ltd 5-pass 4 dr SUV according to Edmunds comparison it should have 9 speakers. Your Subaru manual should indicate where are the speakers in your car or you may pop up to a Subaru garage and ask them to show you the 9 speakers.
    Look at the remaining 2008 LR2 SE's. They've been discontinued in favor of the HSE trim (19" wheels, spoiler, small covered arm rest, $2k more). There's a $3k dealer cash, and I'm sure you won't have to pay MSRP.
    I'm sure there are deals.

Not my kind of car, but then again I'm not looking to venture off road, either.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Did you find the tweeters located in the ceiling at the rear, on either side of the cargo light?
    (photo from Joe Spitz's cars101.com)

That'd bring you to 8 speakers, and the 9th would be the subwoofer. I believe it's located under the driver's seat for models w/out Navigation, or in a side panel in the cargo area for models with Nav.
    Neat, never realized those were there.

Makes sense to mount tweeters up high like that, I suppose.
  • WOW!. I just went to my car and located them. That's neat. 8 speakers plus one subwoofer. Awesome! Thanks jejjmc.
    Now could you also give me advise on my previous post about how to turn A/C button off without turning Auto button off?
    Appreciated. :shades:
    T.S
    I don't really know any more than Mike posted in post #410: "When you turn the A/C off manually, it goes into semi-automatic mode so the full auto-light goes off. Basically by turning off the A/C button you eliminate it from using the A/C to get you to the temp desired, so it's considered semi-automatic mode. I was confused on this in my 05 LGT but figured it out over time. -mike"

I can tell you the system uses the AC to control the humidity in the vehicle, not just to cool the air. (AC removes moisture from the air.) I've got climate control in my Outback, and for the most part I just set the temperature to what I want and let it do its job, using AC if it thinks it needs to. Doesn't seem to affect gas mileage noticeably, so I don't know if there's any big upside to having the AC off. I do find if the dash and center console are cold to the touch, that the system will continue to blow hot even if the air in the cabin is already warm... it's easy to get roasted. Generally the only time I take it off the "Auto" setting is to turn on the defogger.

"OFF" is just the fan, it doesn't close the vents, so yes, some air will still flow through if the car is in motion.

One related tip - leaving it on defog or defog/heat setting while the car is off leaves those vents open for fresh air to come in (which is good). However, often the outside air is moist and over time you'll get condensation or fog on the windshield since the vents are channeling the outside air there. To avoid that problem, turn it to one of the vent or floor settings before you turn the car off.
    "OFF" is just the fan, it doesn't close the vents, so yes, some air will still flow through if the car is in motion.

To follow this up, if I want a breeze blowing/venting from the outside, in the "Off" position, I hit the fresh-air button and you will see just the outside air symbol light up, hit the recirc with the system "off" and you will not get the ventilation blowing through.

I also didn't notice the A/C as being a negative, it helps keep the windows clear on humid days even if it's not hot out. I use the auto with slight adjustments in either the fan or the temp to get it how i want it.

-mike
  • Hello all,

Here's how it all began. ;)

About a month or so ago on a night such as this (only warmer) I was happily surfing through cyberspace trying to figure out what the new "baby wagon" was going to be. My current ride (2000 Pontiac Grandprix GT) was just not going to be enough for the baby and our dog.

My wife and I knew it was not going to be a mini-van or one of those rugged off-road type vehicles (she thinks they look like blocks! :confuse: ) when something caught the corner of my eye. What is that?! Is that a Subaru Tribeca? Whoa! new exterior styling, same stunning interior as the old one. Let's see what the world has to say about this sweet looking vehicle. So I looked up "2008 Subaru Tribeca Forum", and I found you guys. Yay!! Best damn site ever. No, honestly!

The previous choice of the Mazda CX-7 took a back seat, as did the Nissan Murano. I now had a chance to own a Subaru, and have the space needed for our new baby and our dog all in an awsome package. What could be better? :shades:

So began the countless hours of poring through the B9 Tribeca forum as well as the 2008 Tribeca forum where I must have read nearly all the posts going back a few years. Working the numbers with the dealers in the area. Day and Night-time test drives followed and needless to say, I was hooked.

Yesterday it all finally came to fruition. My wife and I have secured the deal on a 2008, Diamond grey metallic, Grey leather interior, 5 passenger Tribeca.

Am currently waiting for the dealer to get the vehicle for me.

Looking forward to future conversations with you guys. :D

P.S - I have yet to see a 2008 Tribeca on the streets of Toronto, Canada. Any Canadians out here?

David
    My photography site
    According to the 2008 Tribeca catalogue it seems that only the Limited edition comes with Black-finish raised roof rails and moonroof. Can I order the same roof rails (accessory) for a 7-pass no Limited edition? I don't like moonroof (Limited edition).

Edmunds in its comparison on line establishes that the no Limited 7-pass has cloth seats but they are also heated seats. Is this right?

A 7-pass 2008 Tribeca + roof rails + cloth heated seats - moonroof is the ideal choice for me. Could someone elaborate further on this topic, please?
    Not sure but I thought the cloth seats were not heated.

David: congrats. And by the way, we have an inside joke that most Subaru owners are named Dave. It just happened to be the most common name for members of the Subaru Crew. :shades:

#2 was Mike.
  • Thanks for the welcome A.J. It's nice to know I'll have more in common with most Subaru owners than just my vehicle. Give's me a warm fuzzy feeling, it does. :D
    Yeah, from what I've read only the Limiteds have heated seats.
    What about the roof rack rails? Does this rack comes only with limited edition?
    Rack does come standard w/Limited, and I don't see it as an add-on option, but I'd talk about that w/your dealer... somebody's gotta be willing to put the rack onto the non-Ltd model.
  • Heated front seats are standard on all versions of the Tribeca here in Canada. 3 different heat settings. Also looking forward to my first vehicle with HID's. They looked awesome when I took the 'beca for a night-time test drive.

David
    You lucky Canucks!

Then again, your prices are higher, too.