Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Tribeca 2008

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Lemme check with my boss, er, I mean wife. Her birthday is that week and we have some theatre tickets. She wanted to go to NY but I'm not sure if we can do both the same week.

These shows really sneak up on me!

Any big debuts for NY?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I want to hookup with you guys this year. What are the dates for the show?

-mike

PS: CSS, not sure about the 8th yet.
  • css1css1 Posts: 247
    The show is Friday March 21st - 30th
    I'm checking hotel prices and ouch, not sure I want to bring the kids and stay like I was thinking. To be worthwhile I'd want to spend a couple of nights, and with transportation, hotel, food, etc. this would end up costing more than a grand.

I think I'll save a NYC visit with the kids for when we're in CT with the in-laws and can just go by train for the day.
  • ylzylz Posts: 45
    Is it me or does anyone else think that the 2008 Tribeca looks better WITHOUT the roof rails on top of the car? I mean I'm thinking of buying the limited 5 pas but telling them to remove the roof rails. Does anyone have any insight to this? I know this seems petty but I want my purchase to be perfect considering I will have this car for the next 7 years at least.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Sure, if you're never gonna carry anything up there. No cargo box? Christmas tree? Mattress? Skis? Kayak?

The Limited trim comes from the factory with roof rails, so it may be a pain to have 'em removed. To help keep the cost down, I'd discuss it at the time you're purchasing, and make it a condition of sale w/the dealer. They'll be more likely to give you a break on the cost when you've got some leverage.

If you're never gonna use it, then by all means, get it exactly how you want it. :) Going without will also have minor effects on wind noise and fuel economy (better aerodynamics).
    Looks better, yes, but the rack serves an important function so I'd still want one.

I think the overall styling does look better without it. It just looks - aerodynamic, and the rack kind of spoils that.
    I had no rack on my Trooper and never needed it. :)

As for your NYC trip, let me know if I can help yah.

-mike
    That's because it had 3.17 acres of cargo floor space. :D
    I haven't used the ones on the Armada either, although that can hold a small 3rd world country in it! :)

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
    More like a medium-sized 3rd world country. :D

Too bad the Tribeca's tail gate isn't more squared off. In fact I wonder if the new Forester will come close to the same cargo capacity.
    Yeah my Trooper holds a lot cause it's a box. The Armada is still bigger but it's not nearly as square as the Trooper.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • eyepodeyepod Posts: 9
    I have an 08 limited 7 pas. The dealer tried to solve the rattle issue (really tried, great service), but couldn't. The FACTORY finally sent a couple of mechanics and they readjusted the hatch. They did NOT replace the struts. The noise is considerably reduced and probably acceptable but really, for a $37K car this is pathetic.
  • css1css1 Posts: 247
    Have them change the struts.
    The next time you pass the Mercedes, audi, and BMW dealers - notice the number of cars in for repair. Now thats pathetic!
    No cars are perfect.
  • newsub3newsub3 Posts: 7
    I agree , have them change the hatch struts.. I have tried another dealer ( much better service than first one ) , they worked on rattle/vibration issue. ( I have previously had the rear seat bushings replaced and supposedly tightened with washers - did not solve all the entire rattle issue ). There was still too much movement in rear hatch and plastic trim in rear causing the rattle. The dealer took off the struts and replaced them with ones from an 06 in their lot. The design ( mounting bracket ) was a bit different and allowed for a tighter hatch when it was fully closed. Also the dealer took off all rear plastic trim and placed a foam strip along all contact points. Both of these repairs seemed to help. Also put some lubrication on the rubber gasket/molding for the rear hatch-this will get rid of some sound too by softening the rubber when it makes contact with the metal hatch. The annoying hard plastic sounding rattle that seems to come from the upper rear hatch area corner on the drivers side when going over uneven surfaces has mostly disappeared. All and all the noise issue has improved. Keep pushing your local dealer to find solution for you and let Subaru of America know also , so that they keep working on issue. The service writer at the dealership acknowledged the noise and stated that he also discovered same issues(rear seat and rear hatch area ) with the demo Tribeca that he drives , so at least they are aware now it appears.
    :D

Funny, but true.
  • eyepodeyepod Posts: 9
    My post was not about the dealer (they really tried to solve the issue), it was about what Subaru of America tried. They sent two mechanics from the factory in Indiana to try to fix the car. So SoA spent significant bucks to try to solve the issue. Yes, all cars have issues. But when they have such serious design issues from the get go, I call that a defect.
  • jeffmcjeffmc Posts: 1,742
    Must be frustrating. On the bright side, what other manufacturer would send mechanics from their assembly plant specifically to fix this? It's impressive to see them make such an effort for a customer. You've gotta think they'll keep at this until the design issue is resolved. (I know that doesn't really help you any. :sick: )
    I believe the fix is new gas struts for the rear hatch on the Becca.

-mike
  • luck11luck11 Posts: 425
    Mike, your right.

I dropped off my OBXT for it's third front axle change this morning :( and asked the service manager about this. He confirmed that Subaru Canada has sent a letter to dealerships to replace the struts in Tribecas with specific serial #'s. If the letter is out here in Canada, then I can only imagine that there is an official replacement effort in the US.

I gotta wonder though, are the new struts different in size, or is it just the pressure/strength of the strut that has changed? If the latter, what's going to happen after a year or two when the struts lose some pressure or become weaker....will the issue return? Hmmm...perhaps another question for the Service Mngr when I pick up my car today.

Cheers.