Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Lighting & Electrical Questions

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    Have you checked the fuses?
  • No which fuses should i check??
    which fuses
    Check the manual.
  • hal18hal18 Posts: 1
    Hello - I have '05 Mazda 3, purchased new 3 years ago - never any problem 'til today - my driving lights did not turn off - now 8 hours later, battery is drained.

Please advise what you learned about your problem
  • I have a 2008.5 M3 and would really like to upgrade the lighting (for both performance and style). I was thinking about using halo lights (like a BMW) for the low beams and xenon for the fog lights. Any ideas/suggestions on this? Thanks!
  • nzpe72nzpe72 Posts: 1
    Has anyone had an issue with their headlights not being on but the car still thinks the lights are on and will not let you lock the doors. If so how did you correct it?
  • fee3fee3 Posts: 1
    Hello! I bought a brand-new 2008 Mazda3 four months ago. It's already been in the shop three times regarding a battery drain that leaves the car deader than dead after it sits for a few days. (No after-market parts, nothing left on, tests show there's nothing "unusual.") Won't even take a jump. The shop has no clue. Battery has been replaced. Since I'm on the verge of pursuing lemon law action, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. Please advise!
    brand-new 2008 Mazda3 four months ago ... been in the shop three times regarding a battery drain that leaves the car deader than dead after it sits for a few days. ... tests show there's nothing "unusual.")

What does the Mazda dealer suggest you do? Have you thought of taking it to another Mazda dealer?

Won't even take a jump. The shop has no clue. Battery has been replaced
    If it won't take a jump, does that mean you need a new battery each time it gets drained?!
  • redmazda3redmazda3 Posts: 28
    My parents bought a 2008 Avalon which the battery was constantly drained and the car would not start. The first dealer said nothing was wrong according to their instruments and my parents just were not driving the car enough to keep the battery charged. The second dealer said he didn't believe the first dealer and kept on looking at all aspects of the car. They finally determined the auto dimming mirror had been put on at the port when the car was delivered to America. After taking the mirror off, they found it had been wired backwards. After correctly wiring the mirror, the battery has no gone dead since and my parents drive the same miles they have always done. Your problem may be somewhere along this line. Hope this helps.
  • mariongmariong Posts: 1
    We left our brand new Mazda 3 at an airport parking lot for two weeks and the battery was dead when we got back. Our dealer's explanation is that the 3 computers are talking to each other and you can expect a dead battery after leaving it just a week. Not what you want to hear about a new car.
    mariong
    brand new Mazda 3 at an airport parking lot for two weeks and the battery was dead when we got back. Our dealer's explanation is that the 3 computers are talking to each other and you can expect a dead battery after leaving it just a week.

I find that that statement by the dealer representative not only surprising but disturbing. You may want to write to MazdaUSA and inform them of the situation and see what they say. How old was the battery and in what condition was it? Also, it may be difficult to prove that the battery did not discharge for another reason (e.g. accidentally leaving on the overhead light switch).
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    Yeah, that sounds nuts. I've left an old minvan with an old battery sit for two weeks in winter and had no problem with the battery having enough power to start the car. If it is true that Mazda designed this car to have a dead battery if it is not used for a week that is pretty pathetic.
  • redmazda3redmazda3 Posts: 28
    My parents had purchased a 2008 Toyota Avalon that would go dead after a couple of days of non use. The first dealer told them they just were not driving it enough to keep the battery charged. They were told the story of the multiple computers always draining the battery. We didn't buy that story. The second dealer took the time to get all the paper work on the car and found that the auto dimming mirror was put on at the port of entrance. He took it apart and found that it was wired backwards which caused a short and a serious power drain. After correcting the wiring their car works now as expected. They sometimes do not drive the car for four or five days and it always cranks now. Hope this helps.
    If it is true that Mazda designed this car to have a dead battery if it is not used for a week that is pretty pathetic.

I don't think Mazda or any other car company would try that, it would qualify as a form of hari kari. Batteries are one of those items in the car that you know you have to replace; but not after two weeks sitting around. The dealer representative was being disingenous and not offering a helpful answer. There are lots of reasons for a battery draining. The good news is that a battery is cheap to replace.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I've never understood what a dealers motivation would be for doing that sort of thing. Why tell someone that a problem is not a problem, rather than charge them (or Mazda) to fix the problem. :confuse:
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,287
    I find that that statement by the dealer representative not only surprising but disturbing.

I agree; I leave my Mazdaspeed 3 in the garage for weeks at a time and when I finally have to drive it it has never failed to start.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• dudehaududehau Posts: 3
    Got a 2009 Mazda Speed3 2 months ago and having issue with battery draining within 24hr period.

It started with the "Engine" light indicator coming on. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't figure out the problem. They concluded that it was a glitch and reset the code. The next week, I left the car sitting no more than 2 days and the battery was drained. Took it in and they replaced the battery, concluding that the battery had a faulty cell.

Again, I left the car sitting for about 1 1/2 day while going out of town. Once again the battery was drained and I had to jumpstarted. My conclusion is that it is not the battery and the dealer have no clues what the issue is. Something is obviously being left on and is draining the battery.

I'm taking the car in again and will give an update soon.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,287
    My conclusion is that it is not the battery and the dealer have no clues what the issue is.

Has the dealer measured the current draw when everything is shut down(key out, all doors closed)? It shouldn't be hard to isolate the problem; it takes a lot to drain a battery in 24-36 hours. Simply just start pulling fuses and relays until the current draw disappears. My son left the door open on my MS3 one night and 12 hours later it fired right up.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• dudehaududehau Posts: 3
    I've taken the car to the Houston Jeff Haas dealer 3 or 4 times already. Each time they hook the battery up to some kind of machine to track any draw from it and each time they tell the me the same thing which is there is no draw they can detect. They can't find the source of the drain and so they conclude it's a bad battery. I'm on my third battery with a car that only have 3000 miles on it. They try to tell me that the new battery they put in my car didn't have enough time to charge itselft because I only drove the car for 45mins and let it sit for 2 days. Sounds like BS. A new battery should not drain in 2 days.

I've been patient but after the third battery and the problem is still there, I have to escalate the issue. I'm no auto genius but I new from the start it was not the battery. I didn't want to be a difficult customer, so I went along with their BS diagnostics. They were very relunctant about giving me a loaner car too.

I decided to take my car to the Clearlake Mazda dealer and give them a chance to resolve the issue. I explained the history of the problem and my frustration with Jeff Haas Mazda. I told them quit focusing on the battery as the culprit and put the focus elsewhere. Basically do something different then just replace my battery.

The rep. from the Clearlake dealer was very understanding and accomodating to my needs. She took the car in and offer me a loaner without any hesitations. They let the car sit for 2 days and they confirmed that it would not start.

Initially, they thought maybe it was because my doors was not shutting tightly because of the Thule roof rack I installed. They make sure the doors were shut tightly and let the car sit at the dealer for 2 more days. Again the car would not start.

They finally narrow down the culprit to the junction box. It was explained to me that the Mazda 3 will go into a sleep mode after you shut off the engine for some set amount of time and my car was not doing that. They order and replace the junction box and let the car sit for 2 days. This time the car started. Problem solved. Thanks Phyllis and Clearlake Mazda.

I'm glad I bought my car at the Clearlake Mazda dealer and not Jeff Haas.

Peace,
  • HELP!!! second time this has happened. Dealer fixed it the first time. Maybe it's something I can do on my own. My digital readout of the instrument display (clock,temp,audio etc) has gone haywire. All I see are numbers continously looping. Does anyone know how to fix?