Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Rear Differential Problem?

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    I was almost killed with two friends in my car when the car stopped due to the diff "going bad." The car was less than 1 month old. Oh, never mind... no problem with that....

Your peoblem is different from what most have experienced. Most have groaning rear differential. Yours has locked up.

I am sure the locked up differential was promptly replaced by Honda under warranty. So, all you have to do now is change the fluid every year or 30,000 miles.

What is the problem?
  • So the rest of us are groaning rear differential huh? Well the "crud" caused by this so called weep hole is going some place. So what is going to be affected next with our cars? We all bought new cars and spent alot of money. We shouldn't have to put up with this! Honda should research and find a fix not a band aide.
  • My 2008 CRV EX-L just hit 15% oil life at 18,000 miles. Code 6 popped up saying to change rear diff fluid. The car runs great, no sounds or groans from rear diff. Can't I wait awhile on this, like say 30,000 miles?
  • phisherphisher Posts: 175
    I would listen to the computer. Better to be safe than sorry and the differential fluid change should be covered by honda also.
  • I have 2006 CRV, had a differential fluid changed at about 14,000 miles. Now the mileage is 24,000, there is a noise from the passanger side rear wheel. Honda dealer sees a need to have 2nd differential fluid changes, but it said It would not be covered under warranty. Piazza Honda dealer in PA told me the warranty only covers the first fluid change. I am sill under warranty. I gave them TSB # 07-024. They don't care. I think this is a class action issue to Honda.
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    Did you speak with the service manager? If not, do so. If the answer is still no, let the service manager know you will take the issue to Honda directly. Despite your frustration or anger, do all this politely. I believe if you call Honda and tell them that a dealer is refusing to honor the action authorized in a TSB, you will get satisfaction.

Is there another Honda dealer in the area to try? Whatever the outcome, please let is know how this turns out.

As to a class action suit, the result would likely be that attorneys get $124,999,997.87, while each consumer would get a coupon for $5 redeemable at their local dealer. Whoopee!
  • We're thinking of buying my brother's 2005 crv when it comes off lease in march as we prefer to buy cars for which we know the legacy. We currently have an older CRV and 1991 integra. Brother has had the car serviced regularly and on his last service was told that the 'wrong' differential fluid was used. Might this cause any long term problems or will be fine once it is fixed? We are trying to decide whether to put some money in the integra to keep it running for the next year (needs about 1000 - 1500 of work) or whether to pull it off the road and replace with the 2005 CRV. Since the price off lease will be relatively steep, we won't buy if it requires major cash investment within the first year of purchase (other than regular maintenance). Any advice would be appreciated. Happy and safe new year to all!
  • Well, I guess I am going to have to do just that. I called my Honda dealer, who sold me the CR-V. First they said I was out of warranty. I am out of basic, but not out of drive train warranty, that this applies to. Then he told me the story you have all heard -- that this is maintenance, and will cost just $70 plus tax. For a fluid change. Actually, two fluid changes and running the wheels at 10 mph for 5 minutes in between. He also told me you need to change the rear differential fluid at 15,000 and at 30,000 and I didn't do it. The manual says 60,000 or 4 years, whichever comes first.

Well, SB 07-024 is pretty clear that this is under warranty. It also says that after warranty expires, it is eligible for goodwill consideration.

Hondas may be great cars, but it looks as though their dealers are just a slimy as other dealers. They try every deflection they can -- including outright lies -- in the hopes that you won't know the answer.

I am now at the stage of sending a complaint letter to Honda. I will gladly serve as a lead plaintiff for any class action suit. Even if plaintiffs get next to nothing, class action suits still serve the purpose of making it painful enough for companies and discourage them from playing these games.

Finally, if I have to pay out of my pocket, I'll go to my local mechanic, who can change a fluid for a h**l of a lot less than $70.

F
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    The main point is ... The manual says 60,000 or 4 years, whichever comes first that the printing date isn't April-01.

Did Honda make every effort to notify all Honda owners about this mistake that has printed on the manual? If Honda didn't and only said to customer(s) it was a misprint when the problem came up, then Honda is liable to pay for parts and labor to correct this problem.
  • I have a 2007 CRV which I purchased new. I had the problem fixed by the dealer last year but now I hear the same groaning noise. Exactly 1 year later the same noise. I took the vehicle back to the dealer and they told me the don't see anything wrong with the differential. I clearly hear the noise everyday when turning out of my driveway. What should I do? Any suggestions?
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    Leave the car there overnight and ask them to test drive it early morning to see if they can replicate the problem like from you driveway.
  • tkay2tkay2 Posts: 32
    I have a 2007 CRV and a 2009 Forester LLBean purchased 3/28/08) Forester much quieter and the ride is better I would check out the Forester.
  • I have a 2007 honda Crv with 24,000 miles and have been noticing the moaning/crunching sound for a little over a month now when I turn in and out of parking spots. I called the dealership this morning and the car is going into the shop tomorrow. The service tech on the phone knew right away the the rear diff fluid probably needed to be changed.
    Where can I print out a copy of the TSB #07-021 and or #07-024.
    All of the links on this thread will not take me to it. Perhaps it is an outdated link.
    I would like to go into the dealership with a copy of it so at least I look like an educated consumer HAHA. Basically I do not want to get charged!
    Thanks! :mad:
  • Thank You! I just figured out it's my work computer that is blocking something That's why I couldn't open the link. I just had my supervisor open it up and print it for me.
    Thanks again!
  • Last week I had the 40,000 mile service on my 2007 Honda CRV. While reviewing previous work, I realized that the rear dif had been serviced at 20,000 and at 30,000. The total maintenance cost at 30,000 was over $300. The total cost at 40,000 was again over $300. When I returned to the dealership (because their work had caused an engine warning symbol,) I asked for a schedule of their recommended service schedule. The response was just a big run around, saying that Honda left it all up to the dealerships. I asked why they had done the rear dif at 20,000 and again at 30,000. The service person started talking about a moaning sound. I explained that I hadn't ever had such a problem, must have been another customer. It was a futile conversation.

Then I read this forum and found out what he wasn't saying. If the owners manual suggests 60,000 and my Honda had the service twice before 40,000, shouldn't they reimburse me for the expense? I am ready to give my opinion when I get the service survey and will write a letter to Honda. Would any of this help? I have been polite so far, but this cover up angers me.
  • You're not alone. When I called for the service, they wanted to charge me for it because it was "maintenance". Honda Service Bulletin 07-024 is very clear. Normal warranty applies. Your drive train warranty should be for 5 years and 60,000 miles (mine is). They even have a defect code. But the less honest dealers try to make you believe it is regular maintenance and make you pay for it.

I'm looking for a dealer who'll treat it properly -- we have a couple of Honda dealers around here. Next step for me is to write to Honda USA.

Francis
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    For a long time now car owners have faced two sets of service recommendations: the auto manufacturer's and the dealer's. The dealer's list is of course longer and service items are scheduled more frequently. You get to choose which one to follow. By agreeing to the dealer's service proposal and cost estimate, I'd say you've agreed to pay for the services performed.

Is what they're doing ethical? I don't think so, especially regarding the rear differential service. The dealer knows that Honda has a TSB out that authorizes payment, yet they charge you. The ought to reimburse you. I'd get a copy of the TSB. (http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A07-024.PDF) Speak to the service manager. Any dealer interested in your continued business should try to accommodate you.
  • Hey,i work in a Honda dealership as a technician and the problem isn't a mechanical problem with the rear diff.It has to do with fluid.Honda says it due to the fluid becoming contaminated with moisture which allows the clutches within the rear diff to stick together .these rear diffs are a limited slip so the clutches allow both axles to turn when they slip.if they don't,they bind.i wouldn't drive for ever like this but it dosen' t seem to cause any problems.Honda hasn't changed the fluid as we still see the symptoms in the 08 models as well.The method we use seems to work the longest,which is,to drain the fluid.refill then get the car off the ground,put it in drive .or frst gear,then ,using a rag ,slow and stop one rear wheel,hold for a minute or so,then release and switch and do the same from the other side.do this twice.shut the engine off.then drain and fill it up.this should help.
  • Hi all iv a 1996 Honda Crv ,its a [non-permissible content removed] inport a 2.0 auto , iv noticed a noise from the back of it when turning lert or right like the back wheels are bragging , now iv also noticed a squeeling noise from back axel , is this dangerous and whts causing it , bear in mind when i bought it the crv had being lying up for nearly 10 months in one spot with no driving at all , i would really like to know how serious these problems are and is it hard to change the anti roll bar bushins they are gone on front and back , im from ireland , hope to hear from someone soon :cry: :confuse: :sick: