Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Rear Differential Problem?

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,884
    Looks like a period got stuck on the end of the link.

Try it this way:

Service bulletin 07-024

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• Just got back from the dealer. They did the recommended rear diff fluid change and burnished the rear diff clutch as per the service bulletin. The service took about an hour and was covered under the warranty so no charge. That seemed to take care of the noise and the tech blamed it on Honda putting the wrong formulation diff fluid in at the factory. Now we'll see if it comes back in another 15k miles...

As for the maintenance schedule, for normal driving my maintenance schedule that came with the car says change rear diff fluid at 90k/5 years. The tech at the dealer showed me the severe service schedule (fyi, according to the tech city driving = severe driving) for the '02-'06 CR-V which recommends changing the fluid every 30k.
  • Got it, thanks Steve and stringfellow63 for the info and heads up. I'm taking it in on Friday so we'll see how my encounter goes.
    Good - now that I know you've seen this, I'm going to tweak the title a little so it'll match most of the rest of the discussions in here. :shades:

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,797
    The tech at the dealer showed me the severe service schedule (fyi, according to the tech city driving = severe driving) for the '02-'06 CR-V which recommends changing the fluid every 30k

And the OWNER's MANUAL describes what constitutes NORMAL and SEVERE schedule. And, yes, city driving is SEVERE. 95% of the population in the US will fall under SEVERE schedule due to the numerous facts included in the SEVERE description in the OWNER's MANUAL. BTW, the OWNER's MANUAL recommends 60,000 rear differential fluid interval for SEVERE schedule.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,863
    "BTW, the OWNER's MANUAL recommends 60,000 rear differential fluid interval for SEVERE schedule."

I ended up changing my 2003 differential fluid about every 20K miles. I did this because the rear end was making noise; changing out the fluid fixed the problem.
    "BTW, the OWNER's MANUAL recommends 60,000 rear differential fluid interval for SEVERE schedule."

I ended up changing my 2003 differential fluid about every 20K miles. I did this because the rear end was making noise; changing out the fluid fixed the problem.

I don't doubt. Realistically, the fluid is probably onle capable of withstanding 15,000 miles of AWD use. And that is the exact mileage when I changed mine, well before it started making noise. Replaced MTF as well.

I was just stating that people who don't read their OWNER's MANUAL are at the dealer's mercy when it comes to the dealer BSing their way out of covering it under warranty.

I don't know what the hang up is about Reading The Farking Manual. It is not like too much knowledge has killed anyone. Besides, it is much better to know exactly how to take care of your $20,000+ toy than seeing who the "Big loser" is this week, or whatever TV program is interfiering with the Owner's reading duties.
    lol, it sounds like you are saying read the manual but go ahead and change the fluids four times as often as the manual recommends.

• I detect sarcasm in your reply. So what if he want's to change the fluids more often, your not paying for them.
    You're right - I follow the recommendations in the manual. ;)

• I have a 2006 HONDA CRV EX 4WD and I encountered this problem at 27,000 Km when the Maitenance Schedule in the
    Manual recommends every 90,000 Km for rear diff fluid change. HONDA knows about this problem but will not do a recall. It seems ever more present in 2006 and 2007 models.
    This is covered in Drive Train warranty and my local dealer had no problem changing the fluid. The issue is now that
    the vehicle is now running very rough during idle and when
    stopping (Shaking when braking). I think I will go with
    Toyota next time.

Does anyone see Honda doing a proper recall and fixing this Drive train problem properly?
    lol, it sounds like you are saying read the manual but go ahead and change the fluids four times as often as the manual recommends.

I say read the manual regardless of what you do. Educated consumer is scammers worst nightmare. If the dealer told me the story he told the Original poster, I would have just replyed with what I know from the manual and cought him in a lie. It would definatly make him uncomfortable, and make it more difficult to lie to me again.
    "Manual recommends every 90,000 Km for rear diff fluid change. HONDA knows about this problem but will not do a recall."

What exactly do you want Honda to "recall"? There is no known safety issue here, just noisy rear transmissions.

I suppose I am wondering what the "recall" would fix.
    "Manual recommends every 90,000 Km for rear diff fluid change. HONDA knows about this problem but will not do a recall."

What exactly do you want Honda to "recall"? There is no known safety issue here, just noisy rear transmissions.

I suppose I am wondering what the "recall" would fix.

The only thing Honda should do is send one of those sticky pages for people to put over the existing one with the new maintenance schedule. They have done it in the past.

I think this what cdamech wants Honda to do. Question is, will he find his Owner's Manual to paste the sticky sheet on the right page?
    "Question is, will he find his Owner's Manual to paste the sticky sheet on the right page?"

bluiegod- Just a curiosity question here (tongue-in-cheek). I'm trying to think of a post where you didn't mention the owner's manual??? ;)

P.S. I always read my owner's manual cover to cover, often before I buy the vehicle.
    P.S. I always read my owner's manual cover to cover, often before I buy the vehicle.

Me too. I knew what was in the manual before I bought the car.

I just don't understand what is the hang up about reading the manual. I read manuals to everything I own, Car, Motorcycle, lawnmower, generator, edger, weedwacker, TV, radio, thermostat... literally everything.

I am willing to admit that I don't know a lot more than I do know, so I am not going to start operating this new piece of equipment without knowing everything about it.

I guess I am just stupid. Other people do know everything and don't need to read no stinking Owner's Manual.

But, if they did know everything, why would they be asking questions that are already answered in the manual? hmmm something to ponder about.
    You're about to give me an idea for another News & Views discussion. ;)

I got a manual before buying my last new car and read it. Some of it I didn't understand. Right now I couldn't tell you much about my Quest since the manual is in the car and it's at my wife's office. I may have downloaded one; I consult the pdf manual for my new camera way more than I look at the paper one. Having people describe some operations in a description too.

After getting my Outback I managed to turn the parking lights on and couldn't figure out how to turn them off. A Subaru Crew member told me about the "hidden" extra switch on top of the steering wheel. I finally found that in the manual too, but it was indexed so poorly it took me twenty minutes of page flipping to find it.

Then there are those MB and BMW manuals that are so big, people put them in their trunks and forget about them.

Honda, on the other hand, has been taking stuff out of the manual. The old Honda manual had specs and procedures for pretty much everything a DIY mechanic could do. New ones skip most of the maintenance procedures. Thank god I can still buy Helm's manual. It is about 2000 pages long and is the exact same manual Honda dealers use. It has procedures and information about every little thing in the vehicle.
  • Just a quick update on my experience at the dealership with my 2007 CR-V that has the same problem with noise when backing up and turning. When i dropped it off, I mentioned the TSB and the service guy said they hadn't had any 07's reporting the problem. Within 1 hour I was informed that they could duplicate the problem and had decided that a differential rebuild/replacement was needed but the parts were back ordered and it would be at least a month before the parts would be in. They did not do a fluid change or anything outlined in the TSB. I asked if I could drive it until then and the tech had told the service mgr. that I could. Has anyone had a total failure of the differential prior to the dealership performing the TSB repair? I'm a little nervous about going anywhere until the problem is fixed.
  • tedtcbtedtcb Posts: 39
    Let me backup… (And yes, I'm in the right thread)
    In Jan of 07 my check engine light lit up—Dealer indicated it was a “Fuel Pressure Sensor Gauge” After 3 days in service I got the CRV back and before I drove home, the light was on again and car was virtually vibrating in idle.
    This time the dealer had the vehicle for 4 days and indicated that all the “Wires” leading to Fuel Tank were corroded and had to be “Changed Out”
    When I picked car up, the CE Light was off and has not come back on...However…….!!! The car has never felt the same since….The accelerator seems to have more resistance than normal and there is a slight delay in accelerating in cruise control…Gas Mileage has been in the 25 MPG range (Which is puzzling)
    Now why am I writing this in the “CR-V Rear Differential Problem” thread? Because In mid-August my dealer replaced the rear diff fluid after I heard a “moan” and guess what, the problem I had associated with the “Check Engine Light” went away. Now, some 1500 miles later I am beginning to feel the pressure on the accelerator (Which I now believe was always a symptom of the rear diff problem.
    In August, the dealer replaced the fluid once—not three times as recommended. Before I go back (I am just about to hit “36,000” miles. I believe they need to re-address the rear diff fluid etc. in my vehicle. Do I make sense?
    Thanks
    Ted

Edited to include: The “Moan” which lead to the Rear Diff Fluid Change in Aug has not returned….Yet
    The accelerator seems to have more resistance than normal

Now, some 1500 miles later I am beginning to feel the pressure on the accelerator

Did Honda add tactile feedback to the Drive-by-Wire system? Because in a drive-by-wre in the 05, there is absolutley no physical connection between the accelerator and the throttle.

I know the system was modified in 2007 to relocate the accelerator sensor (read Potentiometer) to the pedal, as opposed to having a cable from the pedal run to the firewall where the sensor is located.

So, did they really add tactile feedback?
    Dave Wrote: Did Honda add tactile feedback to the Drive-by-Wire system? Because in a drive-by-wre in the 05, there is absolutley no physical connection between the accelerator and the throttle.

That is an interesting point though I'm clueless on how to answer

BTW my CRV SE is an 06 (and as I've mentioned before my 20th Honda since 1977 and the first one to be problematic, though I do love the way the car handles--and with these new Yokohama Avid TRZ tires--even better

Do you think the Rear Diff problem can manifest itself into the problem I described--it's a bit like a transmission issue
    t
    Do you think the Rear Diff problem can manifest itself into the problem I described--it's a bit like a transmission issue

I didn't know you had 06, you have the same drive by wire as the 05. There is no direct connection between the thorttle and the pedal.

Rear differential problem is usually limited to goran or moan you described earlier.

The easiest would be to replace the automatic transmission fluid (if you have auto) and see if it solves the issues you are having.

Logic being, if your style of driving necessitate DPF replacement, ATF replacement is probably not a bad idea.

I have an MT version and replaced DPF and MTF at the same time this summer. Even though I was not having any issues with either. I just thought that 15,000 miles is probably too much stress for the DPF and MTF the way I drive.

It is much cheaper to keep replacing fluids more often than having the differential or the tranny rebuilt. I am sure you have noticed over the previous 20 Hondas that they are very sensitive to fluids.

If the fluid replacement does not solve the problem you are having, escalate the issue with Honda. If the dealer is not cooperative, involve Honda corporate. This way, if there is an issue later on, after the warranty has expired, there is a record of your earlier attempts to have this solved before warranty expired, which will result in the issue being in-warranty.
    Thanks for the reply Dave
    I agree with you about fluid change outs, in fact I change my oil every 3000. I'm beginning to think that my accelerator problem is "all in my mind" as my vehicle felt perfectly normal this morning...I'll know for sure when we drive to our house in the Catskills this weekend.

I just hit 36k so I'll replace trans fluid this weekend--maybe even rear diff again as well since I know Honda did not fill and replace three times--Can you advise about that "extra ounce" of Dual Pump fluid I hear about?
    I do appreciate all your counsel
    BTW I said 20 Hondas (I think this is my 15th since I included a few Acuras in that number--they do count as Hondas!)
    t
    Thanks for the reply Dave
    I agree with you about fluid change outs, in fact I change my oil every 3000. I'm beginning to think that my accelerator problem is "all in my mind" as my vehicle felt perfectly normal this morning...I'll know for sure when we drive to our house in the Catskills this weekend.

I just hit 36k so I'll replace trans fluid this weekend--maybe even rear diff again as well since I know Honda did not fill and replace three times--Can you advise about that "extra ounce" of Dual Pump fluid I hear about?
    I do appreciate all your counsel
    BTW I said 20 Hondas (I think this is my 15th since I included a few Acuras in that number--they do count as Hondas!)
    t

Yes, Acuras are Hondas. They are only Acura in the US, the rest of the world still gets them as Honda.

I don't know what the "extra ounce" of dual pump fluid is. I know there is a reformulated version that dealers just got, but I have not seen it myself, yet.

Have you checked the Honda SUV forum? There is a meet in New England coming up towards the end of this month. You should come and mingle with other Honda SUV owners.
    Check out this video blue (about 2:28 in you'll see the "extra Ounce Graphic"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-EEEOkwjFA

t
  • Hi,

My 2007 CR-v AWD had the grinding noise/vibration when backing up and turning the wheel at 3000 miles and I took it to the dealer and they replace the rear differential assembly and fluid. Now i am at 16,000 Miles and the grinding noise has come back again. Not sure what I need to do now.
  • phisherphisher Posts: 175
    bring it back to have them flush the differential. They might not of driven the CRV between flushes. They should of flushed the differential 3X and driven it 15 miles between each flush. I might be off on the correct mileage it should be driven between flushes though.
  • WELL, IT'S NOW OCTOBER 25 AND I'M STILL WAITING FOR THE PARTS TO REPAIR MY AILING REAR DIFFERENTIAL ON MY '07 CRV. IT'S BEEN ALMOST TWO MONTHS SINCE IT WAS DETERMINED THAT THE DIFFERENTIAL CLUTCH HAD FAILED. THE SYMPTOMS HAVE GOTTEN MUCH WORSE. IT IS NOW TO THE POINT THAT I AM CONCERNED ABOUT DRIVING THE VEHICLE. THE NOISE IS SO PRONOUNCED THAT I FEAR THE TRANS-AXLES ARE IN JEOPARDY. I THOUGHT I HAD PURCHASED A HONDA NOT A FORD OR A CHEVY. :lemon:
    WELL, IT'S NOW OCTOBER 25 AND I'M STILL WAITING FOR THE PARTS TO REPAIR MY AILING REAR DIFFERENTIAL ON MY '07 CRV. IT'S BEEN ALMOST TWO MONTHS SINCE IT WAS DETERMINED THAT THE DIFFERENTIAL CLUTCH HAD FAILED. THE SYMPTOMS HAVE GOTTEN MUCH WORSE. IT IS NOW TO THE POINT THAT I AM CONCERNED ABOUT DRIVING THE VEHICLE. THE NOISE IS SO PRONOUNCED THAT I FEAR THE TRANS-AXLES ARE IN JEOPARDY. I THOUGHT I HAD PURCHASED A HONDA NOT A FORD OR A CHEVY.

I don't think anyone said that Honda is an error-free manufacturer. Everyone makes mistakes. Honda just makes fewer. It just happen that you got the one with the mistakes.

You should have left the car at the dealer and asked for a loaner. Once your 30 days were up (or whatever the Lemon Law stipulation is in your state) you would have a clear cut case of Lemon vehicle, and Honda would have to purchase it back from you.

Good luck.