Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Rear Differential Problem?

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    The accelerator seems to have more resistance than normal

Now, some 1500 miles later I am beginning to feel the pressure on the accelerator

Did Honda add tactile feedback to the Drive-by-Wire system? Because in a drive-by-wre in the 05, there is absolutley no physical connection between the accelerator and the throttle.

I know the system was modified in 2007 to relocate the accelerator sensor (read Potentiometer) to the pedal, as opposed to having a cable from the pedal run to the firewall where the sensor is located.

So, did they really add tactile feedback?
  • tedtcbtedtcb Member Posts: 39
    Dave Wrote: Did Honda add tactile feedback to the Drive-by-Wire system? Because in a drive-by-wre in the 05, there is absolutley no physical connection between the accelerator and the throttle.

That is an interesting point though I'm clueless on how to answer

BTW my CRV SE is an 06 (and as I've mentioned before my 20th Honda since 1977 and the first one to be problematic, though I do love the way the car handles--and with these new Yokohama Avid TRZ tires--even better

Do you think the Rear Diff problem can manifest itself into the problem I described--it's a bit like a transmission issue
    t
    Do you think the Rear Diff problem can manifest itself into the problem I described--it's a bit like a transmission issue

I didn't know you had 06, you have the same drive by wire as the 05. There is no direct connection between the thorttle and the pedal.

Rear differential problem is usually limited to goran or moan you described earlier.

The easiest would be to replace the automatic transmission fluid (if you have auto) and see if it solves the issues you are having.

Logic being, if your style of driving necessitate DPF replacement, ATF replacement is probably not a bad idea.

I have an MT version and replaced DPF and MTF at the same time this summer. Even though I was not having any issues with either. I just thought that 15,000 miles is probably too much stress for the DPF and MTF the way I drive.

It is much cheaper to keep replacing fluids more often than having the differential or the tranny rebuilt. I am sure you have noticed over the previous 20 Hondas that they are very sensitive to fluids.

If the fluid replacement does not solve the problem you are having, escalate the issue with Honda. If the dealer is not cooperative, involve Honda corporate. This way, if there is an issue later on, after the warranty has expired, there is a record of your earlier attempts to have this solved before warranty expired, which will result in the issue being in-warranty.
    Thanks for the reply Dave
    I agree with you about fluid change outs, in fact I change my oil every 3000. I'm beginning to think that my accelerator problem is "all in my mind" as my vehicle felt perfectly normal this morning...I'll know for sure when we drive to our house in the Catskills this weekend.

I just hit 36k so I'll replace trans fluid this weekend--maybe even rear diff again as well since I know Honda did not fill and replace three times--Can you advise about that "extra ounce" of Dual Pump fluid I hear about?
    I do appreciate all your counsel
    BTW I said 20 Hondas (I think this is my 15th since I included a few Acuras in that number--they do count as Hondas!)
    t
    Thanks for the reply Dave
    I agree with you about fluid change outs, in fact I change my oil every 3000. I'm beginning to think that my accelerator problem is "all in my mind" as my vehicle felt perfectly normal this morning...I'll know for sure when we drive to our house in the Catskills this weekend.

I just hit 36k so I'll replace trans fluid this weekend--maybe even rear diff again as well since I know Honda did not fill and replace three times--Can you advise about that "extra ounce" of Dual Pump fluid I hear about?
    I do appreciate all your counsel
    BTW I said 20 Hondas (I think this is my 15th since I included a few Acuras in that number--they do count as Hondas!)
    t

Yes, Acuras are Hondas. They are only Acura in the US, the rest of the world still gets them as Honda.

I don't know what the "extra ounce" of dual pump fluid is. I know there is a reformulated version that dealers just got, but I have not seen it myself, yet.

Have you checked the Honda SUV forum? There is a meet in New England coming up towards the end of this month. You should come and mingle with other Honda SUV owners.
    Check out this video blue (about 2:28 in you'll see the "extra Ounce Graphic"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-EEEOkwjFA

t
  • mcagvk12mcagvk12 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

My 2007 CR-v AWD had the grinding noise/vibration when backing up and turning the wheel at 3000 miles and I took it to the dealer and they replace the rear differential assembly and fluid. Now i am at 16,000 Miles and the grinding noise has come back again. Not sure what I need to do now.
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    bring it back to have them flush the differential. They might not of driven the CRV between flushes. They should of flushed the differential 3X and driven it 15 miles between each flush. I might be off on the correct mileage it should be driven between flushes though.
  • jimshortsjimshorts Member Posts: 5
    WELL, IT'S NOW OCTOBER 25 AND I'M STILL WAITING FOR THE PARTS TO REPAIR MY AILING REAR DIFFERENTIAL ON MY '07 CRV. IT'S BEEN ALMOST TWO MONTHS SINCE IT WAS DETERMINED THAT THE DIFFERENTIAL CLUTCH HAD FAILED. THE SYMPTOMS HAVE GOTTEN MUCH WORSE. IT IS NOW TO THE POINT THAT I AM CONCERNED ABOUT DRIVING THE VEHICLE. THE NOISE IS SO PRONOUNCED THAT I FEAR THE TRANS-AXLES ARE IN JEOPARDY. I THOUGHT I HAD PURCHASED A HONDA NOT A FORD OR A CHEVY. :lemon:
    WELL, IT'S NOW OCTOBER 25 AND I'M STILL WAITING FOR THE PARTS TO REPAIR MY AILING REAR DIFFERENTIAL ON MY '07 CRV. IT'S BEEN ALMOST TWO MONTHS SINCE IT WAS DETERMINED THAT THE DIFFERENTIAL CLUTCH HAD FAILED. THE SYMPTOMS HAVE GOTTEN MUCH WORSE. IT IS NOW TO THE POINT THAT I AM CONCERNED ABOUT DRIVING THE VEHICLE. THE NOISE IS SO PRONOUNCED THAT I FEAR THE TRANS-AXLES ARE IN JEOPARDY. I THOUGHT I HAD PURCHASED A HONDA NOT A FORD OR A CHEVY.

I don't think anyone said that Honda is an error-free manufacturer. Everyone makes mistakes. Honda just makes fewer. It just happen that you got the one with the mistakes.

You should have left the car at the dealer and asked for a loaner. Once your 30 days were up (or whatever the Lemon Law stipulation is in your state) you would have a clear cut case of Lemon vehicle, and Honda would have to purchase it back from you.

Good luck.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Once your 30 days were up (or whatever the Lemon Law stipulation is in your state) you would have a clear cut case of Lemon vehicle, and Honda would have to purchase it back from you."

Here is CA the law says 30 days out of service. From what he says the car is drivable.

If his transaxle fails Honda will have to replace that as well...
  • yamatogradyamatograd Member Posts: 2
    My 2007 CR-V has 12,600 miles on it and it began doing the same thing that your wife's car is doing. I called my dealership today and they said they "think" its the rear differential. I've had three Honda's previously (two Accords and a Civic) and never had problems with them, so this has me worried since I've only owned this car since March this year. I'm reading all the advice in this thread and printing what I need for when I take the car in on November 1st.
  • sem1sem1 Member Posts: 6
    I also have a 2007 Honda CRV and began to experience similar grinding and moaning noises at about the 10,000 mile mark. The CRV now has 13,000 miles on it and it is getting worse. I took it to the dealership and they recommend the 3 rear differential flushes to solve the problem. However, I have no warranty as I purchased the vehicle new in the US and imported it to Canada. My question is, if I have to replace the differential clutch as noted by others elsewhere, what will the cost be? Does anyone know? The dealership wants to charge me about $175 to do the 3 flushes. Hopefully it will solve the problem and I won't need to replace parts. But I would still like to know what the potential cost might be.

Thanks
    I REALIZE THAT ALL MANUFACTURERS MAKE MISTAKES. IN THIS CASE IT IS THE FIRST MODEL YEAR REDESIGN FOR THE CRV. FLAWS ARE EXPECTED. I WORK FOR A HONDA MOTORCYCLE DEALER AND AM WELL AWARE OF HONDA'S STRONG REPUTATION FOR RELIABILITY AND DURABILITY. I'M JUST DISAPPOINTED THAT IT IS TAKING SO LONG TO RESOLVE THIS ISSUE. I HAD TO TAKE THE VEHICLE TO THE DEALER TWICE BEFORE THEY DISCOVERED THE DIFF CLUTCH DEFECT. I DISCOVERED TODAY THAT I AM NOW SUFFERING SOME EXCESSIVE TIRE WEAR IN THE REAR DUE TO THE DIFFERENTIAL NOT FUNCTIONING PROPERLY. NEW TIRES ARE ON THE LIST NOW. :mad:

I WOULD EXPECT BY NOW THAT MOST HONDA DEALERS ARE AWARE OF THE PROBLEM. I FIND IT INTERESTING THAT I STILL SEE THAT SOME DEALERS ARE TRYING TO CORRECT THE DEFECT BY RINSING IT WITH MORE DIFF FLUID. I REALIZE THAT THIS FLAW SEEMS TO ONLY EFFECT FIRST PRODUCTION RUN 2007 CRVs. IT APPEARS THAT THE MANUFACTURER OF THE DIFF CLUTCH FOR HONDA MADE A BATCH OF BAD ONES. THE ERROR WAS DISCOVERED BEFORE THE SECOND PRODUCTION RUN OF THE VEHICLE AND NO LONGER PLAGUES CURRENT PRODUCTION MODELS.

I LOVE THIS VEHICLE. IT DRIVES AND PERFORMS BETTER THAN ANY VEHICLE IN IT'S CLASS AND ARGUABLY BETTER THAN MANY VEHICLES THAT COST THOUSANDS MORE. GAS MILEAGE IS PHENOMENAL, IT ACCELERATES WELL, HANDLES WELL AND IS VERY COMFORTABLE AND WELL APPOINTED. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THIS DIFF PROBLEM FIXED. ONCE DONE, IT'LL BE PERFECT. THOUGH I'VE EXPERIENCED A FEW PROBLEMS, I WOULD STILL HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS VEHICLE. MY COMMENT IN AN EARLIER POST " I THOUGHT I BOUGHT A HONDA, NOT A FORD OR CHEVY" WAS SIMPLY SARCASM. THIS HONDA WILL UNDOUBTEDLY OUTLAST FOUR OF THOSE VEHICLES COMBINED. ;)
    I WOULD HAVE THE DEALERSHIP LOOK MORE CLOSELY AT THE DIFFERNTIAL. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE IN THE SAME BOAT WITH ME. I LOOKED AT THE PARTS LIST ON MY INVOICE AND THE PARTS ALONE WILL TOP THE $2000.00 MARK. FORTNATELY MINE IS A WARRANTY ISSUE. WITHOUT A WARRANTY YOU MAY NEED TO SHELL OUT THE DOUGH TO GET THE PROBLEM CORRECTED.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I WOULD HAVE THE DEALERSHIP LOOK MORE CLOSELY AT THE DIFFERNTIAL."

Hey ease up on the CAPS LOCK... it is considered shouting.
  • fidolsaxfidolsax Member Posts: 1
    Even tho you don't have a warranty,the Dealers ARE aware of the tech Bulletins on this issue!! It really should be recalled! My Honda CR-V 2006 started groaning and binding at about 18,000 miles. They flushed it and refilled the rear diff and still there is a vibration in front and rear.. My mechanic at Honda said, He'd only seen Cr-v's mfg in Japan coming in with this rear diff problem.. The exhaust system was rusting out after 3 months and now I am reading about Motor mounts being rusted thru..causing vibration on idle.
    There is a breather hole than expands and contracts this is not a sealed unit. The contamination is spread from the front to the back differential when the propeller shaft kicks on that why so many clutches are faulty. Cleaning the system and refilling with new fluid only keeps the noise and binding down. They recommend fluid changed every 12k-15k miles. The entire system need replaced! There is such a thing as a courtesy warranty that the Honda Zone Mgr. can approve ask about it!
    I am so disappointed with my Cr-v it only gets 23 mpg on HWY. I bought it because of the low maintainence..What a joke! Along with the Class action suit over the excessive mileage,Honda owes us good service! Keep after your Dealer,or contact Honda Zone Ofc.
    I wonder if the Honda's shipped from Japan sat on a dock or Barge in water for long period of time,my Bridgestone tires are wearing too fast maybe the saltwater caused all the rust and contamination.. Continental tires for me next time around!
    Good luck, be nice to your Dealer or take it to several Dealerships to make a paper trail. Trust me I worked for a Honda Dealer years ago and Honda always stands behind their product,but not always the Dealers. Thats why Honda sends out service Questionnaires to check on their Dealers!
  • kbousmankbousman Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 CR-V with 43K miles. I took my car to the dealership for routine oil change and tire rotation. A week later I heard the grinding noise when turning, took it back to the dealer and they recommened the rear differential service. They completed the service and reported that everything was fine. No metal shavings, etc. that was Sept 9th. A week later the noise was back and I go back to the dealership. They told me I needed new tires! The noise has gotten worse. I go back to have my tires rotated back. The grinding is now even worse. I make another trip back (5th time in 2 months) and they tell me the rear diffential needs replaced! It appears this is a common problem. I would appreciate any feedback and/or options anyone may have.
    Thanks!
  • mickdmickd Member Posts: 9
    I happened upon this site by accident before my scheduled appointment with the dealer to have the fluid in the rear diff changed. He was going to charge me $65.00. I am still under warranty. Thanks to this forum I walked into the service managers office like I knew what I was talking about and told him I would NOT pay to have the fluid changed since it was a well documented problem with the car. He called someone and they did it at no charge. My concern is, how long will this last. I too was experiencing a shudder on turns at low speeds and a grinding sound upon backing up (almost as long as I've owned the car). Oh, I have a 2007 CRV LX, first production run I think. I do a lot of hwy driving and have put 24K miles on in 13 months. At this rate, the car will be out of warranty in another 6 months and I'm afraid that I will then have to pay to have the parts replaced. Anyone know how long the changing fluids fix lasts and if I will be able to tell fairly soon if changing the fluid was all that was needed?
  • richk6richk6 Member Posts: 87
    The 07 CRV has a 5 year/60,000 mile warranty on the powertrain of which the rear differential is part of.
    Good to know. Thanks.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    I had my fluid changed on my 06 at 20k and now at 30k still no issues with sound it is called a ( Good Will Warranty) I did not even have to mention it to the service manager but I was ready with the information just in case. They dont sit on barges for no longer than they need to get from there to here and they are not OUT there with the ocean waves splashing up on the tires. The stock tires are just that garbage I changed mine two days after purchase I had the same issue with my stock tires on my 04 Forester they lasted only 25K. I get 26-30 on the HWY and 21-25 in town both depending on the mix. You are correct find a good dealer take it to them and yes pay a bit more that Jiffy Lube but in return they will take care of you its called a partnership :D .

Good Luck MNF
  • kbousmankbousman Member Posts: 2
    Good news! After the dealership offered me a quote to replace my differential, I called Honda Customer Service. Within a week (I had to call them twice) they made the decision to replace my differential at no cost to me! Good luck to anyone out there with the same issue. Very discouraging, but I commend Honda for standing behind their product.
  • 51985198 Member Posts: 11
    I too own a Honda 2006 CRV. It was making grinding noises when turning. The dealership immediately recognized the problem and told me I needed the differential fluid changed...I was told it is not covered under warranty, needs to be done every 15k miles and I paid $100+ dollars to have the fluid changed. Should I complain somewhere to get this covered by warranty? Is everyone with this problem getting it resolved for free or paying? I would think if we all now know it's an issue that Honda should own up to it and correct it for free....what does anyone recommend? thanks
  • yakultspitsyakultspits Member Posts: 22
    After seeing some of the posts here about the rear diff issue, I'm wondering (hoping?) if the issue is limited to the second generation CR-Vs (i.e. 06 and earlier). I'll be purchasing an 08 soon - I wonder if I should be on the lookout for this possible problem. How many people have had this problem with an 07 or later?
    I have an 07 LX CR-V, still under warranty. The dealer brought the grinding noise/ shudder on turning sharply to my attention while in for regular check-up. He was going to charge me to change the fluid until I found this site and told him I would not pay since it was a problem with this model car. They agreed to change it for free, once. We'll see what happens in 15K miles. I was told that the wrong fluid was put in during manufacturing and this change should take care of the problem. Seems we are all being told various versions of how to remedy the problem. Good Luck.
  • cbergercberger Member Posts: 1
    EXACTLY! I noticed mine making noise (at 18K miles just like the original poster) and when I brought it in they IMMEDIATELTY said "differential"---which was my clue that this was an issue. I have owned nothing but Hondas for 15 years and I have never had this issue come up before.
    She told me it would be $75 for the differential and $95 for the service. What a scam.. I paid for the extended warranty. I almost feel like they saw a chick come in with a skirt and heels and said "oh yeah, she won't know"
    But I got on the horn when I left there because something just seemed "off"

SO glad you guys confirmed my theory. I'm off to wage war on my local dealership.. LOL
    :mad:
  • courtney89courtney89 Member Posts: 12
    I, too, love my CRV (second one). I have a 2003. Just returned from tire store because new tires, I thought, were making a noise. Was told it was differential problem - Honda known for it. Called dealership and have an appointment for tomorrow. What chance do I have that this won't cost me? And, is it safe to drive?
    Immediately got on this site to check and see if others were having same problem.
  • phelps2phelps2 Member Posts: 13
    That's amazing that they are treating this as non-warranty. I took mine in today for what I had originally guessed was a power steering issue since I felt it when turning, and they immediately tagged it as the rear differential, burnished the drum (?) and replaced the fluid (though I don't know if they did it 3 times). My main point is there was no question about it being a warranty item and a known issue.
  • ottomatticottomattic Member Posts: 3
    Don't pay for the work if you are within the warranty period!
    I had the same problem with my 2006 CR-V, the shudder in tight turns. They knew exactly what was wrong.

Honda put out a Service Bulletin #07-024 with instructions to replace the rear differential fluid and burnish the rear differential clutches.

I had this done today during my 30K mile scheduled service. They used Honda Dual Pump Fluid II. They said something about the original fluid was contaminated out of the factory or something like that.
    That's amazing that they are treating this as non-warranty.

That is local dealers treating it as non-warranty. The TSB clearly states that it should be done under warranty, and under consideration for goodwill warranty for people outside of warranty coverage.

The 2006 and up come with 60,000 mile drivetrain warranty, and AWD is drivetrain.
  • toledo73toledo73 Member Posts: 174
    Just bought a 2008 2WD LX. Anybody know if the Differential problems are impacting this model?
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Since there is no rear differential in the 2WD models, you don't have to worry.
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    I leased a 2007 CRV 4WD EX-L 2 months ago. I am shuddering (excuse the Pun) at what I'm reading here. I haven't felt this rear differential problem yet (1,300 miles) - sure Hope I don't. This is the 1st Honda for me. Not too encouraging hearing of a shuddering or grinding in the rear end of a modern SUV, actually a small crossover vehicle made by what is typically considered one of the best car manufacturers in the world. Particularly a vehicle with 4WD systems that they have been making for years !!!
    This is most certainly a Warranty item. Afterall, isn't that what a powertrain warranty is supposed to cover ?
    Thanks - I will go back to the Service Mgr and demand a refund.
    I'm on my 4th Honda since the late Eighties. This is the first time I've had an issue that should have been covered under warranty and was not. But I will go back and demand a refund now that I am armed with the service repair document. Aside from replacing air compressors (Live in Arizona), I've had very few problems.
  • judylinkjudylink Member Posts: 33
    I had my brand new CRV for 1 month and it locked up at 60 miles/hr. The entire differential was replaced after that, I'm still here to tell about it. There was no warning!!

Two months later the typical grinding sound occurred from the differential and the dealership changed the oil and burnished the clutches. All covered under my extended warranty.

Two month after that the grinding sound was back AND a vibrating steering wheel when I hit my brakes. The differential was the problem again and the vibrating was the rotors, they were resurfaced. All under the extended warranty.

Now the service department is telling me that the next time I'm in for a differential problem I have to pay for it myself!I am making an appointment tomorrow with the manager of the dealership to discuss my options. Does anyone have an opinion on what I should say, ask for, expect from him???

I went in to talk to the salesmen about it. Of course they've "never heard of this problem." One told me that it is a fluke. I told him it's all over the internet, since 2001 at least. Shouldn't this a recall item?? :sick: :lemon:
    You have enough history to keep fighting for your rights. DON'T pay anything. Raise this to Honda (Honda Customer Care), reference service repair 07-024 that states it's a warranty repair. Outside of warranty needs an agreement by the dealer as a Goodwill Consideration. Check the lemon laws as well... Go to the news stations that handle these type of stories and get them to help back you. It's amazing how fast companies change when the story is front line news on TV. My dealer knew within moments what my grinding noise was, only I was told it was not a warranty repair. Now that I know better, I am going back for a refund and to have them burnish my rear diff clutches to complete the repair. I am glad to hear you are safe, that first incident must have really scared you. Be a pest...
    I had my brand new CRV for 1 month ....

All covered under my extended warranty. ....

All under the extended warranty. ...

Am I missing something? Why wasn't it covered by the bumper to bumper warranty?
    Thanks for the advice!! I saw the general manager today and he read the 07-024. He couldn't give me a recommendation on how often the fluid needs to be changed and couldn't guaranty that I wouldn't have to pay for it.

I mentioned that this problem is on car sites since 2001 and he denied the reliability of the internet resources...ok he's a dedicated Honda man... .

I asked him what the recommendation of the regular maintenance was for changing the fluid in the differential. He gave me a lecture on how he can't answer my question because I didn't call him before I showed up to let him do his research on my problem. My husband set up the appointment and already told him the problem, that's why he had the 07-024 on his desk, or was that just a coincidence?? He said the service repair documents aren't public info, if they were "then people would start diagnosing and thinking up problems for their cars." not an exact quote, but close because it went with a story.

He did have a service employee in the meeting with us, that was obviously to help HIM with understanding some of the mechanic issues. That's fine, but he didn't answer my question.

This was a good first meeting, I'll see him again I'm sure. He said that the dealership will contact Honda corporate if there's a repeated problem with a car. He couldn't tell me how many times constitutes a problem, "but certainly if you bring it in again there is a problem." I'm at 26K, one new entire differential and two subsequent visits for fluid changes. Sounds like a problem at this point.

He said the service department may have already contacted Honda Corporate about my car, yeah right...then again he can't answer my question because I didn't give him time to do the research.

Do you recommend that I ask him to start the process (whatever that is) or wait until the problem happens again? I don't know what Honda would do for me... :confuse:
  • hkjcrvhkjcrv Member Posts: 84
    I just dropped my car off at the shop this morning (not a Honda dealer, just my local reputable shop) because I have been having problems with my steering. When the wheel is cut all the way to the left or right (especially noticeable when pulling into and out of parking spaces), I get the grinding/rubbing noises. Since those symptoms seem to be common, and the problem is the rear differential for so many, I can only imagine that must be what it is.

I have a little bit over 38K miles on my 2004 EX. So I'm just outside of the warranty. What a drag. Is anyone having any luck taking the car to the dealer and getting them to fix the problem, even outside of the warranty? Seems like if it is a problem with so many of the vehicles, they should be fixing it for free (sort of like a recall).

Part of me would rather avoid the hassle of having to fight with the dealership over it, though, and just have the shop fix it. I guess it depends on how much this whole mess is going to cost me.
    That's the sound, that's the problem! Of course they don't like you to self-diagnose! The service sheet that was sent out by Honda Corporate #07-024 tells the dealerships how to handle the differential problem and the warranty issues. Maybe you could persuade them to let you read it, I was told it isn't public knowledge, but I haven't done any research to prove that yet, I'll search the web too. The problem isn't bad enough in their eyes to have a recall (on the fluid?).

Apparently it's the fluid that breaks down with the heat. A Honda serviceman told me that. They'll hear the sound and then find metal shavings in the fluid. Is the changing of the fluid on the list for the 30K maintenance schedule or any of the other schedules? They might use that as a way to have you pay for it.

Changing the fluid and burnishing the rear clutches is all they should do. The sound is the only warning sign to have it done. Changing the fluid is easier for them then changing the oil. They might charge for the diagnosis too.
    Let's us know how it turned out and how much you paid. We all may be in your situation some day! Best of everything, be strong!
    thanks for sharing!
    Check out post #30, there someone posted the link to the Service Bulletin 07-024!!
    Thank you for that link!! And the general manager said it wasn't public info.... :mad:
  • kisseypookisseypoo Member Posts: 29
    If anyone has a copy or a WORKING LINK to the Honda Service Bulletin 07-024, I'd appreciate it. I tried the one listed in Posting #30 and I couldn't access it. I'm not real computer savvy so I don't know if the format (PDF) just doesnt work with my computer or whether the link has been shut down.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Looks like a bad link there with a period at the end. Try this:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A07-024.PDF

That worked for me, but if you still have trouble, let me know here or by email and I'll email it to you.
    Just an update on my rear diff. problem and my dealings with the dealer. I had called him to to find out what the next step was going to be after our meeting. He changed his mind on being able to help me through the dealership and told me to contact Honda Corporate so they can open a "case file." I did this and they said that they would do research and get back to me. They failed to ask me about where I had the car fixed 3 times, I guess their detective work will figure it out, or not. Has anyone gone through Honda for the lemon law or anything else? :lemon:
  • webforagewebforage Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 CRV rear diff started to groan and moan on tight turns at 14k. At first I was not sure what was causing it and thought it might have something to do with tire wear. It now has 16k and I just called my dealer. I explained the problem and gave the 07-024 service bulletin number. The dealer could not find the service bulletin. I've printed out the bulletin and will take it to the dealer. This lack of knowledge by the dealer is a bit disconcerting. I'm hoping the dealer will take care of me.

From reading these posts, it sounds like a design error allowing the diff fluid to get contaminated from outside water. I doubt if it would take too much rocket science to get a proper fix for this. Is there an after-market solution?
  • smackldogsmackldog Member Posts: 82
    I just came across this thread about this issue and have read through the service bulletin. Anybody here know if the 2008 production models are affected as well, or has Honda already resolved the issue starting with the 2008 production runs?

Thanks!
    I was told that the metal shavings from the clutches contaminate the oil.