Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Rear Differential Problem?

Comments

• tkay2tkay2 Posts: 32
    So what you are saying is Honda 4WD and Subaru all wheel drive is different. To me they are both 4 wheel drive and do well in snow etc. have never heard of another vehicle that requires 15K intervals to change Diff.Fluid. I am thinking of a a 09 or 10 CRV. and wondering if they have changed or in my view fixed this problem,And also they might try to alleviate some of the road noise!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    So what you are saying is Honda 4WD and Subaru all wheel drive is different. To me they are both 4 wheel drive and do well in snow etc. have never heard of another vehicle that requires 15K intervals to change Diff.Fluid. I am thinking of a a 09 or 10 CRV. and wondering if they have changed or in my view fixed this problem,And also they might try to alleviate some of the road noise!

Honda's AWD system is integrated in the rear differential, while Subaru's AWD system is in the central differential.

Honda uses wet clutches and two pumps to create the pressure to activate the rear wheels. When both front and rear wheels are turning at the same speed, the pressure between the pumps is neutral. Once either of the wheels are turning faster, it creates pressure differential between the pumps and activates the clutch pack.

The benefit is the lighter weight, and lower rolling resitance, which results in higher fuel efficiency.

The system is proven bullet proof with regular maintenance. It was originally installed on the mid-80's Civic Wagon 4WD vehicles, and has been continually improved, but essentially is a dual pump system.

While Subaru's system is always on. It is simpler, but takes a hit in the fuel economy department.
  • Hello sabfish,

thanks for the info on this tsb for the 07 crv. my aunt has a noise coming from the rear diff and when she was at the dealer, they were trying to charge her for the fluid change and inspection fee. Good thing I found this thread and mentioned to the service advisor about the tsb.... well, let's just say that they suddenly remembered that a tsb exists for this noise.

thanks,
    tony
  • I took my honda to the dealer for an oil change, the mechanic informed me that I needed to have a rear differential replacement, my first question, how much is that going to cost "anywhere from $3600-4000 including labor and all the other add ons I could not believe what I just heard,then the service advisor told me that I should just yes just buy a new car because it would not make any sense to keep putting money into my 99 honda mileage seventy three thousand miles on it.I then asked how can I tell if it is the differential she said that the car does not want to accelerate when I push on the gas and yes I had been noticing that when driving that the car did not want to accelerate.my question does the price seem right? I have no other problems with my crv, I get my oil change when needed all else seems great, I am so fed up with these mechanics who do nothing but try to rip us off has if we don't have other things to do with our hard earned cash but give it to them.Then to top it off the salesman says he can get me into something paying $ 400.00 dollars a mth not buying LEASE vehicle.I got up and walked away.
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    Yeah, the odds are probably 100% the dealer's price is higher than an independent garage.

Unfortunately, your car is 10 years old. Still, the rear differential should last longer than 73k miles if properly maintained. I'd make that point strongly, but politely, to the dealer, or Honda directly if they don't cooperate, and ask for a reduced price. Honda has a "good will" program that discounts prices (often 50%) for components that have had a history of problems, such as air conditioners and differentials. Because of the car's age they may not go 50%, but they should do something for you, especially if you've had your serviced regularly by a dealer.

Also, I'd have the car checked out by an independent garage that specializes in Japanese cars. You need to get another price.
  • It's strange, I took my car to another Honda dealer for something else ( car was lifted) and they did not say anything about my rear differential, me personally I'm not sure that I need that, I take very good care of my car and I do make sure that I get all the required oil changes and others things that are needed to make sure the car is in good running condition. Thank you for your feed back. I will make the point to the dealer and I will take it to a foreign dealer.
  • Have you have the rear differntial serviced regularly? If it's been more than 30,000 miles, it might be worth having the fluid in it changed and the clutches burnished. Hondas 60,000mi recomendation is a little long. It's probably better to use a 30,000 mile interval.
  • I have front wheel drive. Do I have a differential? Do I need to have the fluid changed?
    I took my honda to the dealer for an oil change, the mechanic informed me that I needed to have a rear differential replacement, my first question, how much is that going to cost "anywhere from $3600-4000 including labor and all the other add ons I could not believe what I just heard,then the service advisor told me that I should just yes just buy a new car because it would not make any sense to keep putting money into my 99 honda mileage seventy three thousand miles on it.I then asked how can I tell if it is the differential she said that the car does not want to accelerate when I push on the gas and yes I had been noticing that when driving that the car did not want to accelerate.my question does the price seem right? I have no other problems with my crv, I get my oil change when needed all else seems great, I am so fed up with these mechanics who do nothing but try to rip us off has if we don't have other things to do with our hard earned cash but give it to them.Then to top it off the salesman says he can get me into something paying $ 400.00 dollars a mth not buying LEASE vehicle.I got up and walked away.

I say they are lying through their teeth.

Failed differential does not make your car sluggish, however, a failing transmission (if automatic) may. But, chances are it will be fine too.

One thing to remember with any car is that just regular oil change is not maintenance.

You need to change the transmission fluid at least every 30,000 miles with Honda ATF Z-1 for automatic, or Honda MTF for manual.

Rear differential fluid needs to be changed at 30,000 miles as well, using HONDA DPF I or DPF II ONLY!!!

Power steeering fluid needs to be changed every 3 years with HONDA PSF ONLY!!!

Brake fluid needs to be changed every 3 years, you can use generic, but Honda one is not much more.

Coolant needs to be changed every 5 years if factory fluid, or 3 years if replacement. Use Honda Type 2 coolant ONLY!

Cabin filter needs to be replaced at least once a year.

Air filter needs to be replaced every 4 oil changes, or so

If you take care fo your Honda, she will take care of you. Neglect her, she will be mercyless. There are no substitutes for Honda fluids, no matter what they claim!
  • iangusiangus Posts: 2
    my 2005 cr-v has 126,500 mi. and the rear differential started making noise. the dealer said it would be 4000 dollars for a replacement.can i get one at a salvage yard? will it have the same problem down the road?this one has never been serviced.
  • My first honda car (CIVIC),I was the 7th owner (13 years old),well maintained. No problem with transmission. I have the 4th one (ODY) at present. HONDA IS A PRACTICAL CHOICE!
  • No, no, no
    See postings around 228 and on. Dig up the Service Bulletin. This is a Honda defect/problem, not yours! :lemon:
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    If you've never had the differential serviced in 126,000 miles, consider yourself lucky it didn't fail earlier. While CR-V differentials have had some problems they shouldn't have, the fluids need to be changed periodically.
  • mickdmickd Posts: 9
    my 07 needed the fluid changed at around 30K. Honda paid for it. Now I get it changed each summer before I go on long road trip. Works out to around 30K in between changes. Costs $65. Well worth the peace of mind
    my 2005 cr-v has 126,500 mi. and the rear differential started making noise. the dealer said it would be 4000 dollars for a replacement.can i get one at a salvage yard? will it have the same problem down the road?this one has never been serviced.

Before you go on and replace the differential, replace the fluid 3 times with short drives in between with Honda DPF II and see if it fixes the problem. You have nothing to lose, but stand a chance to fix the problem your negligence has caused.

Also, the 2005 and on differentials are different from the previous years. They may physically fit, but the reaciton time is a lot shorter on 2005 and up differentials.

The differential fluid needs to be replaced every 30,000 miles with Honda DPF or DPF II, only.

Automatic transmission fluid needs to be replaced at same intervals with Honda ATF Z-1, only.

Power steering fluid needs to be replaced with Honda PSF, only.

Brake fluid needs to be replaced every 3 years regardless of mileage. You can use generic, but Honda DOT 3 fluid is preferred.

Good luck with the vehicle.
  • Hi everyone...I am in the process of purchasing a 2010 CR-V LX in the North NJ area and all the dealers claim they can not locate one for me. I originally wanted an all wheel drive or a 4WD vechicle but now I am second guessing a Honda 4WD after reading this post about the differential problems. Would you not purchase the 4WD because of this? It is even harder to find a FWD in my area. Thanks!
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,979
    You can't find front wheel drive CRVs in New Jersey because everyone wants the 4WD... You should want it, too.. for traction.. and, for resale..

Keep up with the maintenance, and your chances of total failure are remote..

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Thanks for your reply "kyfdx". I believe others post I should change the fluid every 15k? Does this fall under Honda's 3yr warranty/maintence?
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,979
    Unless there is something new.... Hondas don't offer free maintenance..

So, unless your vehicle exhibits a warrantied problem, Honda isn't going to pay for it..

I put 106K on a CR-V, and never had a problem with the rear diff-- Just did regularly scheduled dealer maintenance.

In general, the CR-V has proven to be a very reliable vehicle.. Your chances of getting a problematic one are remote.

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Cargal,

I just bought a 2010 CR-V LX 4WD in NJ. I had no trouble getting the car. As a matter of fact, I had my choice of colors and was able to get exactly what I wanted. Perhaps you can check out other dealers in the middle and western parts of the state. I definitely wanted a 4WD because of the snow etc..

I had a first generation CR-V years ago and had no trouble with the rear differential. I am hoping that the 2010 model will be as reliable.