Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Rear Differential Problem?

Comments

• judylinkjudylink Posts: 33
    Please..... they are aware.........
  • Has this issue been addressed with newer models?

I'm looking at a 2011 AWD
  • Is there a front differential ?
  • I have a 1999 CRV AWD and just started getting a noise from the back when I have the brakes on and am travelling less than about 15 MPH, straight or turning. It has 190K. I thought it was the rear brakes but two mechanics checked it and told me the brakes are fine. Finally, the third mechanic told me it was the rear diff., that it wasn't critical and I could wait until the noise got louder to have it repaired. He said it would cost $500-$600.

Is it OK to wait? I'm concerned it could cause bigger problems if I do? Is there any other fix? Not sure if the fluid was ever changed (I've had it since 20K miles)? Should I chage the fluid?

Suggestions appreciated.
  • It's recommended that the rear diff fluid be changed approximately every 15,000 miles. I'm shocked that you haven't noticed the noise before now? I bought my 2001 Honda w/27,000 miles on it and originally thought it was the brakes as well, until the mechanics explained it to me. I've faithfully had the rear diff fluid changed every 15,000 miles - the fluid itself to change runs about $85 at my dealership. My Honda has 105,000 miles on it now.

It was explained to me that it's comparable to having the oil in the engine changed. I was also told that if the rear diff eventually gave out from not having the fluid changed, it would be huge to fix, somewhere around $3K. If you didn't have a Honda dealer look at it, I would suggest doing that. BTW, you can only have the rear diff done by Honda. Good luck, I hope this helps!
  • I have had it serviced regularly by a mechanic that specializes in Hondas, but not the dealership. Major and minor service was done at 15K intervals. Maybe that fluid was changed regularly, I will have to check my records. You don't think they could change the diff. fluid?
  • It's recommended that the rear diff fluid be changed approximately every 15,000 miles

I'd like to see that in the owner's manual...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• lax3lax3 Posts: 5
    I have Honda CRV Ex 2010, its only 20 month (14.5 miles) under warranty period....and I noticed the noise and maintenance indicator shows A1 6 (6 means change Rear Differential Fluid)

Questions -

- Will it (cost to change Rear Differential Fluid) cover in my warranty?

- DO we have any recommendation from honda when (how many miles) to change this?

Thanks
    Where do we have recommendation from honda when (how many miles) to change this? any mannual? or any honda link online?

Thanks
    I have Honda CRV Ex 2010, its only 20 month (14.5 miles) under warranty period....and I noticed the noise and maintenance indicator shows A1 6 (6 means change Rear Differential Fluid)

Questions - What do I need to do to make this paid by honda?

Thanks
    I have Honda CRV Ex 2010, its only 20 month (14.5 miles) under warranty period....and I noticed the noise and also maintenance indicator shows A1 6 (6 means change Rear Differential Fluid)

Questions -

- Will it (cost to change Rear Differential Fluid) cover in my warranty?

- Do we have any recommendation from honda when (how many miles) to change this?

How can I contact Honda to resolve this issue?

Thanks

Thanks
  • I know that the front differential is contained in the transmission if it is an automatic. So changing the transmission fluid takes care of the front diff. Not sure about the manual though? I would assume that it would be separate in a manual since since the manual trans would use motor oil and I guess the diff would use either cvt fluid or that dual pump 2 fluid. Not sure though.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,347
    Honda isn't going to pay for routine maintenance nor should they.

If you simply change the rear diff fluid every 30,000 miles you shoildn't ever have a problem. We have two CRV's and one before those and they have been flawless.

I wold have to pull out my Owner's Manual but I think Honda says to do this every 60,000 miles. According to the guys in the shop they think 30,000 miles is better. I go with them. It isn't expensive to have this done.

If you don't have Honda do the work, MAKE VERY SURE they use the correct fluid!
  • tcasboytcasboy Posts: 214
    edited February 2012
    According to my 2006 CR-V Owners Manual, the rear differential fluid should be changed at 90,000 miles or 5 years under normal conditions. Or 60,000 miles or every 4 years under severe conditions.

Can't imagine having that done every 15,000 miles. Also, there is no reason why any competent mechanic couldn't do this maintenance, so long as they use the correct fluid.
    Check the maintenance schedule in your owner's manual.
    Car manufactures will stretch service intervals sometimes in order to keep their Cost of Ownership numbers down. The engineers constantly argue with the bean counters.

If a Honda Tech with many years of experience suggests changing the dual pump fluid every 30,000 miles then that's what I'll do.

I change my oil more often than the "book" says too and so does every mechanic I have ever known.

It doesn't take much skill to drain and refill a differential. Just pull the plug, wait for the fluid to drain. Remove the fill plug and refill it.

Good idea to replace the crush washers at the same time just like when doing an oil change.
    DO you have any online link to the 2006 CR-V Owners Manual where it says about recommendation about rear diff fluid?
    I have no link but I think that poster was correct when he said 90,000 miles under ideal conditions and 60,000 miles under severe conditions.

But, why tempt fate by stretching it to it's limits?

It's not an expensive thing to simply change the fluid every 30,000 miles as the techs do on their own CRV's.
    No link, but I have a 2006 EX and looked it up my owners manual to be sure when I made that post.
    Better change that engine oil every week too, just in case. I mean, why pay attention to the owner's manual? What do they know? I'm sure a service technician who makes money each time you have the car serviced has no ulterior motives.