Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Rear Differential Problem?

Comments

• lzclzc Posts: 483
    The world is full of complainers, although here they have a point. Honda is guilty of misstating the frequency the differential oil should be changed. Why they do this, I don't know. I guess they deserve a knock or two. But the "I'll never buy another Honda" rant is a bit overdone imo.

I've never owned a perfect car, but I've owned a few with problems galore, and I happily take the minor imperfections I find in Honda (or Toyota) cars. Those looking for perfection, I'm afraid, are going to be disappointed.
  • I just had my diff fluid replaced on my 2007 Honda CRV today due to grinding when turning and excessive road noise. It only has 22,000 miles on it. I also would like to know of any class action suits on this matter. This car has been a dream car up until now. After reading all these comments, I'm worried!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    I just had my diff fluid replaced on my 2007 Honda CRV today due to grinding when turning and excessive road noise. It only has 22,000 miles on it. I also would like to know of any class action suits on this matter. This car has been a dream car up until now. After reading all these comments, I'm worried!

So, if they fixed it, what are you proposing they do in the class action? Wipe your bottom for a year? :confuse:
    I AM TRYING TO DECIDE ON A CAR WOW! WHAT A DIFFICULT TASK. I LOVED THE CRV UNTIL I READ ALL THE ISSUE'S ABOUT THE REAR DIFF. MY QUESTION DOES IT REPEATLY HAPPEN?? OR ONCE YOU FLUSH THE FLUID AND REPLACE ITS FINE. I USUALLY HAVE MY CARS ABOUT 7YRS, I AM NOW DRIVING A 2002 TOYOTA HIGHLANDER WITH 105,000 MILES WITH NO ISSUES. (HUSBAND SAYS WE SHOULD KEEP WHAT WE HAVE) THEN I DROVE THE 2009 FORESTER, THAT WAS REAL NICE, BUT AGAIN THAT SEEMS TO HAVE ALOT OF ENGINE, AND HEAD GASKET ISSUE'S IN THE PAST. DON'T GET ME WRONG I KNOW YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH SOME ISSUES BUT I DON'T WANT MAJOR ONES. LAST I AM THINKING ABOUT WAITING FOR THE TOYOTA VENZA TO COME OUT. PLEASE ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE APPRECIATED

A) Yelling won't get you anywhere.

B) How dare a manufacturer expect the owners to do maintenance on their vehicles!!!!
  • No! However, this is not normal maintenance you should have to contend with. If Honda comes up with a fix for the ongoing problem, I want to be contacted. Evidently you have never had a car that didn't have problems! This is my first vehicle that has to have something done to it every year besides the normal maintenance. No butt wiping necessary, just answers to a problem Honda knows exists and their customers have to put up with. Not good PR. This is my first foreign car, I have always bought American made cars with no problems.
  • I love my CRV, just very disappointed in Honda not taking care of an ongoing problem. They need to fix this issue so it doesn't happen again on every CRV with a recall.
  • phisherphisher Posts: 175
    If you just get your rear differential fluid changed every 25,000 miles or so it should be fine. Honda just incorrectly listed it in the owners manual as being needed to be changed every 60,000 miles. Differential fluid changes are a normal maintanece item also.
  • First I am not yelling, just usually write in caps, a habit. Second we take very good care of our vehicles and my husband does most of the routine care. I guess because of this we have been lucky and have had no problem. I just don't understand why paying so much for a vehicle than have to turn around and spend more for a problem that you would have thought would have been resolved. I do like the CRV but after reading so many issues on this site I am alittle worried about how much more the cost would be. I did call my local Honda dealer and asked the service people what I would have to do to prevent this problem. I was told I would have to change the fluid about every 15k miles, and I would have to pay the cost, which is about $70. To me this should be at least covered for the first 3ys or 36,000 by Honda, I am told it is not. Were you told something different or something different.
    While some posters have reported problems in getting a dealer to change the fluid free of charge, most have not. This is Honda's error and there is a TSB on the issue (#07-024) that instructs the dealer to change the fluid and burnish the rear differential clutches under its normal warranty. That is, you are covered.

The TSB goes on, "Out of Warranty: Any repair performed after warranty may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision before starting work."

Whoever told you this issue was not covered under warranty was in error. It's unfortunate, but common to all dealers, that some employees are poorly informed or simply instructed to try to charge for something they shouldn't be charging for.

Bottom line, an informed consumer should not have to pay for having the rear differential fluid changed until it's normally scheduled in the owner's manual.
    If you bring your CRV in to have the rear differential fluid replaced and they try and charge you point out in the manual that it only says that the differential fluid needs to be replaced at 60,000 miles. If they still try and charge you tell them that you will have to find a different dealership to get any work done. They know that the manual lists the incorrect interval and should replace the fluid for free until 60,000 miles. From my experience needing the fluid changed every 15,000 miles is a little extreme. I have had mine changed between 20-25,000 miles and am currently at 42,000 and currently don't need it changed yet. It sounds like the dealership you are going to has a poor service department if they are trying to charge you especially if the car is still under warranty Hope this helps. Looks like by the time I posted this I was beat to the punch by lzc.
  • I have a 2005 Honda CRV, 42,000 miles and I had to have the rear diff changed because of the moaning/groaning sound in the rear of vehicle. I went to Piazza Honda in Reading, PA, they asked if I wanted to have it changed "twice" while I was at it, at twice the cost of course. They changed it once, charged me $80. The noise is gone, but now I'm older and smarter, when I have it changed again in 30,000 miles or so, I WILL NOT PAY !
    My manual says to change it after 90,000 miles, they kept telling me it was a missprint in my manual.
    The instructions from honda say to change the fluid drive the car for 5-10 miles and then flush and change again. If I were you next time you get service if it is there show them your receipt and the manual. Let them know about looking at the edmunds forums and that you think they ripped you off and if thats the way they do business that you would also have find a different place to have your service work done. If the dealership is a reputable one they should at least give you credit for what they charged you. Also do a review of the dealership on edmunds.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,441
    Also do a review of the dealership on edmunds

Here's the link:

Dealer Ratings and Reviews

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I am sure its too early to tell yet, but I am trying to decide between a 2009 Honda CRV and a 2009 Subaru Forester. My question is, the problem with the rear differential is that problem isolated to manual transmissions or both automatic and manual?? How much of the fluid is needed what is the cost. Hubby would like to know so he can maintain. Should I be concerned about any other issues??? I don't want to regret my decision with a problem car. thanks for all your time and help. Still trying to decide....
  • I have a 2006 CRV automatic and I have had to have the diff done twice under warranty at no charge. I think that what ever you choose, CRV or Forrester you won't be disappointed by either one. The diff problem affects both manual and automatic models and I believe one of the issues is that Honda's recommended service interval is too long and needs to be done much earlier. If there is diff noise it should be fixed under warranty.
    The CR-V is no longer offered (in the U.S) with a manual transmission.
    The cost of fluid is about $6 ($4/quart, you need 1.2 quarts)

Any DIYer can do it in under 15 minutes.
    I love my CRV, just very disappointed in Honda not taking care of an ongoing problem. They need to fix this issue so it doesn't happen again on every CRV with a recall.

What problem?

Don't want to change differential fluid, buy a 2WD version. Simple like that. It is a maintenance item, not a failure.
    No! However, this is not normal maintenance you should have to contend with. If Honda comes up with a fix for the ongoing problem, I want to be contacted. Evidently you have never had a car that didn't have problems! This is my first vehicle that has to have something done to it every year besides the normal maintenance. No butt wiping necessary, just answers to a problem Honda knows exists and their customers have to put up with. Not good PR. This is my first foreign car, I have always bought American made cars with no problems.

How is replacing differential fluid is different from replacing transmission fluid or engine oil?

It is just another fluid that degrades with time and needs to be replaced.

I don't see people crying foul when they have to change the engine oil. Unless you are one of those people I hear about that lease a car for 3 years and don't do any maintenance to it.
  • If you don't think the diff issue isn't a problem, then read the back posts, that's what this forum is all about. Suggesting someone buy another vehicle may be a good idea, but not after they are committed to their current CRV 4 WD.

Can we focus on the diff problem, which has been recognized by Honda for years?! Let's work together to solve problems and help each other on this forum.

I was almost killed with two friends in my car when the car stopped due to the diff "going bad." The car was less than 1 month old. Oh, never mind... no problem with that.... :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    I was almost killed with two friends in my car when the car stopped due to the diff "going bad." The car was less than 1 month old. Oh, never mind... no problem with that....

Your peoblem is different from what most have experienced. Most have groaning rear differential. Yours has locked up.

I am sure the locked up differential was promptly replaced by Honda under warranty. So, all you have to do now is change the fluid every year or 30,000 miles.

What is the problem?
  • So the rest of us are groaning rear differential huh? Well the "crud" caused by this so called weep hole is going some place. So what is going to be affected next with our cars? We all bought new cars and spent alot of money. We shouldn't have to put up with this! Honda should research and find a fix not a band aide.
  • My 2008 CRV EX-L just hit 15% oil life at 18,000 miles. Code 6 popped up saying to change rear diff fluid. The car runs great, no sounds or groans from rear diff. Can't I wait awhile on this, like say 30,000 miles?
    I would listen to the computer. Better to be safe than sorry and the differential fluid change should be covered by honda also.
  • I have 2006 CRV, had a differential fluid changed at about 14,000 miles. Now the mileage is 24,000, there is a noise from the passanger side rear wheel. Honda dealer sees a need to have 2nd differential fluid changes, but it said It would not be covered under warranty. Piazza Honda dealer in PA told me the warranty only covers the first fluid change. I am sill under warranty. I gave them TSB # 07-024. They don't care. I think this is a class action issue to Honda.
    Did you speak with the service manager? If not, do so. If the answer is still no, let the service manager know you will take the issue to Honda directly. Despite your frustration or anger, do all this politely. I believe if you call Honda and tell them that a dealer is refusing to honor the action authorized in a TSB, you will get satisfaction.

Is there another Honda dealer in the area to try? Whatever the outcome, please let is know how this turns out.

As to a class action suit, the result would likely be that attorneys get $124,999,997.87, while each consumer would get a coupon for $5 redeemable at their local dealer. Whoopee!
  • We're thinking of buying my brother's 2005 crv when it comes off lease in march as we prefer to buy cars for which we know the legacy. We currently have an older CRV and 1991 integra. Brother has had the car serviced regularly and on his last service was told that the 'wrong' differential fluid was used. Might this cause any long term problems or will be fine once it is fixed? We are trying to decide whether to put some money in the integra to keep it running for the next year (needs about 1000 - 1500 of work) or whether to pull it off the road and replace with the 2005 CRV. Since the price off lease will be relatively steep, we won't buy if it requires major cash investment within the first year of purchase (other than regular maintenance). Any advice would be appreciated. Happy and safe new year to all!
  • Well, I guess I am going to have to do just that. I called my Honda dealer, who sold me the CR-V. First they said I was out of warranty. I am out of basic, but not out of drive train warranty, that this applies to. Then he told me the story you have all heard -- that this is maintenance, and will cost just $70 plus tax. For a fluid change. Actually, two fluid changes and running the wheels at 10 mph for 5 minutes in between. He also told me you need to change the rear differential fluid at 15,000 and at 30,000 and I didn't do it. The manual says 60,000 or 4 years, whichever comes first.

Well, SB 07-024 is pretty clear that this is under warranty. It also says that after warranty expires, it is eligible for goodwill consideration.

Hondas may be great cars, but it looks as though their dealers are just a slimy as other dealers. They try every deflection they can -- including outright lies -- in the hopes that you won't know the answer.

I am now at the stage of sending a complaint letter to Honda. I will gladly serve as a lead plaintiff for any class action suit. Even if plaintiffs get next to nothing, class action suits still serve the purpose of making it painful enough for companies and discourage them from playing these games.

Finally, if I have to pay out of my pocket, I'll go to my local mechanic, who can change a fluid for a h**l of a lot less than $70.

F
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    The main point is ... The manual says 60,000 or 4 years, whichever comes first that the printing date isn't April-01.

Did Honda make every effort to notify all Honda owners about this mistake that has printed on the manual? If Honda didn't and only said to customer(s) it was a misprint when the problem came up, then Honda is liable to pay for parts and labor to correct this problem.
  • I have a 2007 CRV which I purchased new. I had the problem fixed by the dealer last year but now I hear the same groaning noise. Exactly 1 year later the same noise. I took the vehicle back to the dealer and they told me the don't see anything wrong with the differential. I clearly hear the noise everyday when turning out of my driveway. What should I do? Any suggestions?