Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Genesis Sedan 2009+

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,907
    Like I said, I was just throwing numbers out there. I didn't state anything was in stone. I asked a question of you, plain and simple.

OBVIOUSLY, if the car comes to the table costing just as much with less performance, than it will fail. So I don't need to ask that question.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• floridabob1floridabob1 Posts: 1,190
    RE: 934
    If you are just throwing out numbers, you could use 30 K for a loaded V8 Genesis.
    In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to just guess at a price.
    I believe that a loaded V8 will cost much more than 32K
    I could use $40k.
    ???
    I just don't see how it changes my question.

Again, like I said, if it is CHEAPER than comparably equipped competitors, yet is a bit slower, what is the problem?

I don't need to ask, "hey, what if it costs the same and offers less performance?" because I know the answer to that question.

Ok, tell ya what, I'll edit the question as follows for those impaired by theoreticals:

Would the Genesis really be such a dog if it had 30 less horsepower and could run to 60 in 2 tenths of a second slower than a competitor you are considering, yet, comparably equipped to that competitor, cost $4k less?

How about $3k less?

What about $2k?

Why don't we wait until Hyundai prices the Genesis in the various packages to make the decision if it's a good deal or not.
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    at least for the G8 because a loaded V8 GT will cost just $32,895. Here is the pricing sheet:

I know the G8 is more leaning to the performance side versus the Genesis is emphasizing more on the luxury. However, given that they are both RWD, V6 standard / V8 option and in similar price range, there should be little doubt that these two will be cross shopped by the buyers regularly.
  • dborthdborth Posts: 474
    re 938: "I know the G8 is more leaning to the performance side versus the Genesis is emphasizing more on the luxury. However, given that they are both RWD, V6 standard / V8 option and in similar price range, there should be little doubt that these two will be cross shopped by the buyers regularly."

"Cross shopped", I doubt it.

I can't imagine the dweebs in Korea were thinking about competeting with a Pontiac of all things when designing Genesis. Their egos where directed toward Germany/Japan. Trouble is, they can't solve the clunk in the Azera, so how are their rope-a-dope US dealers going to sell an upgraded "lux sedan"?
    RE: 939
    You're right in the fact that Hyundai is not thinking about the Pontiac buyer as their competition with the Genesis.
    They are definitely looking for the buyers of the German and Japanese models.
    You are also correct with your comment about their need to deal with problems in a better and more timely manner.
    They are doing a poor job in dealer improvement at all levels, facilities, sales and service.
    I am sure that there are some good dealers out there, but they appear to be few and far between.
    oi vey!

Once again, for the third or fourth time, I am not guessing as to pricing. The original poster this stemmed from (dborth) was claiming that 340hp would be a deal killer for him. I am merely trying to ascertain why that would be the case when, in fact, we don't know any other details or how that will come out in the real world in terms of performance or pricing. I am asking that poster IF. In other words, all I am saying is why make a decision that a lousy few hp kills a car when it MAY perform just as well or MAY be less expensive or MAY ... fill in the blank. Try reading all the posts in order and this may make more sense to you.

re 941. Read my post again gbozen. I said 340 is old news, chasing the well positioned hemi's. I never said a thing about performance. Performance from Hyundai is a given now.

From a marketing standpoint, RWD-V8 is huge for Hyundai. 4-door sedan V8's from Japan & Germany are so far superior to those produced by the big 3 US it is safe to assume Hyundai's will follow suit.

To put it another way, the rumored 380hp will drive more people in to see Genesis that won't bother if product launch HP is another me-too, same as Chrysler and less than Pontiac

Marketing 101 is bigger, faster, more, better. If you can get all that at a value price with the backing and confidence of a leading warranty.....bingo.
    and, as I said, basing opinion on a number like HP is silly. If that is what floats your boat, I suggest looking at a Freightliner.

And you only need to look at other competitions to know the score. Infiniti offers more HP than BMW, yet it doesn't keep folks out of the bimmer showroom. That's just one example. There are many.

re 954. I was actually thinking about investing some of my time to respond to your response. Then I decided, why bother?
    Then I decided, why bother?

up until then, i thought the reason might be "to have an intelligent debate."

i truly am curious why some people feel the need to hang their hats on certain numbers that may not translate into real-world differences. Unfortunately, it seems I will never find out as it always seems to degrade into your comment above.

• How about we just not degrade at all and stick to talking about vehicles rather than each other? Merci.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• to take it a step further...merci beaucoup. :)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    http://www.bobaedream.com/board/data/data_view.php?code=special&No=80851&page=1&- select=&content=&r_no=2&search_gubun=&s_pagescale=&search_day=&Answer=44

Not the Waterfall based grill. Does resemble the genesis and some sketches but hey it's not bad. Getting used to it though.
  • wow...these are probably the best pictures of the genesis i've seen to date..at least its not all covered up..i like it..

doesn't the trunk looks a little small?
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    Yea but it's the angle. I too like it but it's conservative. The Side panel is also very similar to the concept. It was based on a rough sketch 1 year ago that was leaked. This car also has a plastic square over the emblem. That is for the Collision system or the Adaptive cruise control. This car is going to be called the gensis in Korea. Genesis is probably going to be the name of the USDM version. It looks like Echelon, Talus, Geneva, Toscana, and Zeta are being canned. I could be wrong though. I probably need to see the real pictures in high res. This car could do very well with a luxury brand.