Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda 3 Steering & Suspension Questions

Comments

• Stallionre,
    My mechanic says the pump was flooded with water. I have a problem. Here, in Honduras the only Mazda 3 2.3 are brought from the states as was mine. The dealership only brings 2.0 so the dealership wont go near it. What can I do? Where can i find Mazda 3 2.3 pumps on the internet? Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance
  • stallionrestallionre Posts: 205
    Sagrarioluque7, That pump is an electric motor type, YIKES. They are hard to find. I was searching online for one for you and found one on ebay. This is for a 2006 Mazda 3. I don't know of anywhere else besides the dealer. Did you call the dealership where you bought the car from? I am out of suggestions sorry.

How did you pump get flooded with water? :sick:
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    The steering pump is the same on both 2.0 and 2.3. A Mazda dealer down there should work on it, however, it will not be covered under warranty because it was purchased in the US.
    I don't think that they have a Mazda dealer there. Maybe I am wrong. If so, then why did he buy the car in the USA? :confuse:
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    Find a Ford dealer. Im sure they can get all the inside scoop on Mazda parts and things since Ford owns Mazda.
    I don't think Ford owns Mazda. Ford own's 33% of Mazda in total stock, but that is it. I say this because it was in another forum about this discussion, even this forum talked about it. Many people said that Ford does not own Mazda. Who knows?

This is the statement that this forum made in March, 2007:

"Does anyone feel that there is any difference, say an improvement or a degradation in any way with Mazda, whether it's customer service, management style or reliability because Ford owns Mazda?"

Before we dive too far out on this topic, is everyone aware that Ford does NOT own Mazda?

Ford owns a controlling stake (about 33%) of Mazda; that is a bit different from actually OWNING Mazda.
  • bigfurbigfur Posts: 649
    Just thinking that if anyone could get the part they could.
    That would be nice and is a great concept. I wonder if the dealers are listening. They could actually learn some thing from us. ;) :P
  • If anyone got the speed 3 suspension upgrades let me know what you think, i.e. handling improvements, rough ride, etc. :confuse:
  • trosetrose Posts: 3
    I bought my used 3 in the spring and found that the handling in the rain was awful. I was hydroplaning everywhere. I put 2 new tires on a few weeks ago and it rained - I was still all over the road. Is this something any of you have experienced? I live in Ohio so I'm afraid of the winter snow coming up!
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    What kind of tires do you have on your 3? I ask because the Goodyear Eagle RS-As that came on mine are almost universally regarded as junk (in spite of their very high price tag). I've only had my car for four days now and I've already ordered a new set of tires for it, go figure.

FWIW, while I was shopping for new rubber, I noticed that TireRack is having a closeout sale on the very well regarded Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires (they used to be $165 for the 205/50 R17s that my car needs, and while supplies last, they're $120), and so I ordered a set of four. As things stand right now, I'll have the new rubber mounted on my car next Tuesday, and that means that I'll have a spare set of Goodyear Eagle RS-As in the above size with less than 500 miles on them. Hello? Craig's list? :)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,854
    OEM tires on a lot of cars aren't exactly something most of us would have made as our first choice! :P

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• trosetrose Posts: 3
    So I'm hearing it is more the tires and not the car itself?
    It's probably been over 20 years since I've been satisfied with the performance of tires that came on a new car in non-dry conditions. And maybe it's a bit of a sliding scale. There are so many good choices for tires right now that the tires on new cars may very well be just as good as they used to be, but I've been spoiled by putting on better tires.

Tires are going to be the major factor in wet weather handling and I'd look there almost exclusively rather than assuming some kind of design problem with the car.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ahightowerahightower DFWPosts: 460
    I agree. I don't believe I've ever replaced the OEM tires with the same things. Always upgraded. Not necessarily to a higher price tire, but I've always found something more highly regarded for approximately the same money. Having said that, I've never had OEM tires so awful that I felt compelled to upgrade before they were worn out. I don't get a ton of rain or ice here in north Texas, but I've yet to notice any sort of poor handling of the OEM tires on my 2008 Mazda3i Touring. Perhaps with these 16" wheels, the OEM tires are less performance-oriented and better in the rain than the 17's that come on the S? Or maybe it's just because I drive like my dad in poor weather ever since I had kids of my own...
    I'm thinking that it's advances in tire technology. Prior to the mid-80's I pretty much always replaced original tires with the same brand as I wasn't disappointed in their performance.

First time I went away from that was in the early 90's and I was amazed how much more tread life I got with a different brand. So my attention turned to "saving money" by getting better wearing and performing tires and not having to change them as often.

I've been running Kelly tires on my cars for years now, and just got 59,000+ out of a set of Navigator Golds on my one vehicle. The Continentals that came on my newest vehicle were horrible in the rain right from the outset (again, compared to what I had become accustomed to with the Kellys) and the day they were completely shot at just under 30,000 miles was a day I looked forward to. On the recommendation of a buddy who owns a tire shop and garage I'm trying Cooper CS4's this time around. About 10,000 miles into the set and I'm very happy with them.

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I don't know about the 2008 models, but my 2009 Mazda3 i Touring came with Goodyear Eagle RS-A 205/50 R17 tires, and no matter where you look, TireRack.com, other Mazda3 forums, DiscountTire.com, you name it, most folks think they're junk, especially on wet and snowy road surfaces. No thanks.

Like many other folks, I usually run through the OEM tires before upgrading to newer/better rubber, however, with winter looming, the RS-As will be history by Tuesday. ;)

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • orca3orca3 Posts: 11
    trose - The 07 Touring Htchbk that I just traded for my new 09 Mazdaspeed3, had
    those same Goodyears on it and I upgraded to Kuhmos Ecsta Asx's after
    2000 miles - great price(Tirerack.com),great handling,no hydroplaning
    not for deep snow, as the 3 sits low and uses a 50 series tire. If you're
    really worried about snow and ice you might have to go to a 2nd set of
    dedicated snow tires as I'm doing with the 'speed3(Michelin x ice).
    I can't say enough for the Kumho's though, have had them on 2 different
    cars and although they're not a name brand icon - they're a real bargain
    and about half the price of the Goodyears and were very good in rain and
    light snow.
  • ahightowerahightower DFWPosts: 460
    2008 i Touring (value) built after Jan 2008 came with 17's. I'm actually glad I got mine before then with the 16's. Comparing OEM 16" to OEM 17", they have longer tread life, and are cheaper to replace as well. I like the leather steering wheel and shift knob and fog lights on the value package (and that new copper red color is hot) but I'm very happy with mine and the deal I got.