Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey Electrical Problems

Comments

• Try this: Disconnect battery, wait for more than 20 seconds, and put it back on.

My 2001 Odyssey has a few electrical problems: alarm kicks off without reason, radio noise, and all four turning lights kept on even engine turned off and light switches off. After this "power reboot" today, all problems are gone, at least so far for 2 hours.

Hope this can help you.

If anyone has more suggestions, please let us know.

Thanks.
  • Does anyone have the hook up or a link to a master list of all the size bulbs I would need for the dash lights on a 1999-2004 Honda Odyssey?? Not for the outside or map lights, but for the just for the dash lights, clock, all the small cluster lights etc. I know there is the main dash cluster, clock, ac control, fan blower switch, rear ac/heat switch, rear doors, CC, etc... Are they all different sizes?? How many bulbs total?
  • junliu60junliu60 Posts: 1
    Have you got the problem figured out yet? I am having the exact same problem. Sometimes the lights just flicks and the car kept going (no issues), but sometimes the engine would stall as well.
  • rphladyrphlady Posts: 5
    I believe the problem was a loose connection in the bell housing of the transmission. Unfortunately, the tranny failed again and had to be replaced again. I have since traded the vehicle in for something new.
  • mike20878mike20878 Posts: 58
    Yesterday morning my wife's car wouldn't start. AAA came out and tested the battery and told us there was an open diode in the alternator causing a battery drain. He said it should be towed as it was unsafe to drive. I had it towed to the dealer as we have an extended warranty. However, the dealer told me their tests showed nothing wrong with the alternator, but there is a dead cell in the battery. Since I bought the battery from AAA I had them come and meet me at the dealer to test it again. He couldn't even get a reading on the battery to be able to replace it and his drain test still showed something is draining the battery. Nothing was on in the car. His reading was showing the battery hovering around 1.40 amps during the drain test. He told me there's nothing wrong with the battery (though I don't know how he can tell) and I have an electrical problem. I'm going to take it somewhere else and see if they are able to troubleshoot it.
    Got a new battery and it was testing fine, shop said nothing was wrong with the alternator. This morning car won't start again. Completely dead. Taking it somewhere else tomorrow for diagnostics... :(
  • mdesavrmdesavr Posts: 2
    Mike,

I had the exact same problem. Have them check the AC Switch Relay. I did some research on here when I had my problem and had them check it. That is what it was. The relay fails and remains open and draws power even when the van is off. They say it is not a widespread problem, but it is. Good luck, but I betcha that is your problem. I would take it back to Honda to look at.
    Would that be something covered under an extended warranty? I made an appointment with my regular mechanic but I wonder if I should just go back to the dealer. Thanks.
  • mdesavrmdesavr Posts: 2
    Mine was not, yours might be depending on the warranty. It was a $9 part and about $240 in labor. I called and talked to the service manager and we ended up splitting the cost. I would push on them real hard about covering it, especially since they couldnt find it and it cost you a battery. I would take it back to Honda.
  • I saw your post on edmunds.com of Nov 07, 2010 about your honda odyssey battery drain with The engine suddenly had an unusual crack pop noise. (It sounded like a live electrical wire touching metal.) I have the same problem with my 2008 odyssey. I also believe it was one of your posts that pointed towards the radio being the problem. My question is did you ever find a solution to this problem. Currently we are not in a position to buy another vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Survey says... show me "AC relay!" Ding ding ding!!

That, and he told me the alternator voltage was a little low so he's replacing that as well since it's covered. He seemed to imply all I'd have to pay is about $8 for the relay. I'd better not have to pay the labor...

Thanks.
  • I found the problem with my wifes 2008 Odyssey. I removed the NEG batt terminal and found a pretty heavy spark when connector was touched to terminal with a clicking noise at the a/c comp clutch. So I found and removed the a/c clutch relay (located in eng comp. fuse box) taped the relay a few times reinstalled problem went away. So I went to Honda and purchased new relay that was surprisingly only about $6.50 and installed it.
    So no more dead battery every morning and no more crack pop sound and white smoke coming from eng. compartment intermittently( which must have been from the a/c clutch).
    Why was the labor so high? Did they have to do a lot of diagnostics before they found the problem? There was no labor to change the relay on my car. I initially paid $65 for diagnostics on Friday. I forgot to mention what I'd read here when i brought it back but luckily the whining noise from the AC was obvious when i pulled in.
  • We have experienced the same thing for over 2 years and have had the vehicle in to have it repaired 10 times. Finally, we ended up sending a certified letter under the State law filing a grievance and the long story short is that Honda called back (would not write) and their only recommendation is to drive the car more. They are not going to do anything about the matter and we are subsequently going to pursue other legal options. Were you ever able to resolve your case with AHMC? Any advice?
  • edmondcbedmondcb Posts: 1
    I JUST bought a 2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L from CarMax. When I bought it, the Malfunction Indication Light was on (they have a 30-day warranty so I was planning on bringing it into their Service Center tomorrow).

However, I pressed the VSA button and the Malfunction light just went off, even though everything I have read doesn't show a connection. I am curious about this because I still want to bring it into the CarMax service since I have full warranty for 30 days, but there is not light for me to talk about.

Any ideas?
  • terr937terr937 Posts: 1
    After having all the same battery issues and popping/smoking going on, I too had the AC Relay switch repaired ($500) on my 07, by Honda, and thought our problems were solved, for about two weeks. Hate to tell you, but while it definitely needed to have the relay repaired, there's obviously something else going on.... something that is making the relays go out in the first place and something that sucks the life out of the battery... unfortunately, all I can afford to do right now is put a new battery in and hope it lasts for more than a couple of weeks. Thanks Honda, for the new feelings of security I have while driving my children around in your vehicle! Maybe time for a Toyota?????
  • erdarerdar Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    A few days ago, our 2002 Honda Odyssey started acting up. The gauges on the dash went nuts, going up and down and the radio/dvd/navigation combo (we have a custom one after the factory one literally burned out four years ago) went nuts, with the navigation screen flashing and crazy colors popping up. All the lights on the dash began turning on as well. I puttered home, then I popped the hood and the battery looked old and quite corroded. I tried starting the car up, and just got that series of clicks that tells you the battery is dead. So, I went to Auto Zone and bought a new one. I installed it but the connector to the negative end somehow didn't fit well on the new battery. It could be easily pulled off and I could not get the nut any tighter. I planned on fixing this at a later date. Anyways, I drove around the block a few times and all the lights went off and the gauges seemed normal. Now, just 2 days later, I am driving on the highway when it starts again, then I lose ALL my dash systems. I can't tell how fast I'm going, how much gas I have, what the temp is, or my RPM's. The radio completely dies, too. Then the car putters to a stop on the shoulder. Again, I get that clicking noise when I try to restart the car. I got towed to the PepBoys near where I was and they say that it's NOT the alternator. They're running tests tonight to see what the problem could be...but I really can't afford a huge repair bill right now. Did I short something out while driving it with the negative end loose? Any ideas?
  • My wife and I just picked up a used 2006 Odyssey EX-L last night. Not even 2 hours after leaving the lot it left us sitting about 45 minutes from home. I noticed the battery light had come on on the way out to where we were heading, however it started up and ran fine even after that. When we were heading home every warning light in the car came on and the radio began to intermittently shut off and come back one. We pulled into a parking lot just before the highway and parked it. I tried shutting it off for a few minutes and then it would not start. The dash would flash and I could hear the ignition trying to fire but the engine would not turn over at all. All of the electronics in the car such as the sliding doors, windows, sunroof etc would work fine. I had some jumper cables so we tried that to no avail.

I ended up calling the dealer, very angrily, and made them pay for a truck to haul it the 45 minutes back to their service center. I am waiting for the results today. I made it very clear that any issue would not come out of my pocket since they vehicle didn't even make it 50 miles away and the service team agreed. Hopefully they figure it out and it is not an ongoing battery issue like I have been reading about on here.
  • The same exact problem happened to me today with my 2002 Odyssey! I have a new alternator, battery and belt tensioner and am completely baffled. What was the outcome of your problem? Were you able to get it resolved? Thanks!
  • Any update? Are you still waiting at the dealer?