Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X3 Reliability

2»

Comments

• edwardsfedwardsf Posts: 187
    edited May 2010
    Also, the owner could sue the dealer/manufacturer in small claims court (up to $7500 in CA) and report them to the BBB. But these angry posts don't seem to be about issue resolution. They also don't seem to reflect statistically significant repair problems and thus are not helping me, a potential X3 buyer. CR does indeed rate the X3 as having more problems than average but as the host mentions, not any worse than the other German manufacturers and better than many models. German cars are more fun to drive and there is a cost to it.

Also, there are indeed lemons in the world, which PP apparently has. But iIt might be a better use of PP's time to use all this anger to advocate on child welfare or oil spill issues than battle people on how bad his dealer is. Uh oh... maybe I am next..
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,663
    Uh oh... maybe I am next.

I'm thinking you are correct... :P

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Roadrunner, you seem to be very knowledgeable about BMWs. In February, I purchased a 2007 X3. It is my first German car, first BMW. I was really concerned before purchasing it reading all of PP's comments, but my husband and I decided to go with it anyway. I do see now the extreme difference in handling and riding between Japanese cars and the BMW. I absolutely love the handling, braking, and everything but the rough ride. I am still "afraid" of the maintenance costs though -- especially looking at the end of the warranty period. I currently have 38,000 miles on it and I drive approximately 25,000 miles per year. My husband is very mechanically inclined and we have not paid for a brake job on any car in 25 years. However, I have been told by others that he will not be able to change the brakes on this BMW. Is that true? Does it require specialized tools or BMW maintenance knowledge to do so? We got a great deal on the X3, and I am considering trading it for a Japanese car just to get out of it to avoid the frightening maintenance costs. Am I over-reacting? Thanks for your honest input.
    edited July 2010
    I am still "afraid" of the maintenance costs though -- especially looking at the end of the warranty period.

See post #3318 in the "BMW X3" topic for an update on the maintenance requirements of my wife's 2004 X3. It currently has over 96,000 miles on it and maintenance costs are still averaging @5 cents per mile- and that number included two sets of Pirelli PZero Nero All Season tires. The only warranty repair has been a passenger seat airbag sensor. We haven't needed to use the CPO warranty at all.

However, I have been told by others that he will not be able to change the brakes on this BMW. Is that true?

Whoever you talked to is woefully ignorant about BMWs. Much of the misinformation about BMWs is generated by individuals who haven't even sat in a BMW- never mind driving or servicing one. The brake system on an X3 is utterly conventional. Changing pads and rotors shouldn't take much over one hour- if that long. Here is just one DIY tutorial. A set of pads and rotors for all four wheels from Zeckhausen Racing will cost less than $500. In any event, you probably won't need a brake job before 60,000 miles. I'd also recommend joining the BMW Car Club of America; you'll get an excellent monthly magazine and many dealers and shops give club members discounts of up to 25% on parts and/or labor.

I am considering trading it for a Japanese car just to get out of it to avoid the frightening maintenance costs. Am I over-reacting?

If you have a good dealer and/or an independent BMW shop that you trust I'd say that you have little to worry about. However, I would service the car a bit more frequently than BMW recommends. In particular, I would change the oil midway between the services that the cars service information system calls for, using a BMW filter and Mobil 1 0W-40 oil. I'd change the automatic transmission fluid and transfer case fluid at 50,000 to 55,000 miles. And I'd change the coolant(using only BMW brand coolant) every three years.
    And if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• The dealer?

No, I lay the problems with this car at the foot of the manufacturer. The dealer can only do so much with what they are given to sell and service.
  • Good deal? Give me your thoughts

- 60 K service completed.
    - New Tires
    - SMOG check done .
    - Registration paid for until June 2012.
    pics here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/93894566@N00/sets/72157627123943462/
    I think that it's worth between $15k-$17k; $18k could get you a 2006. As always, I'd want to have it inspected by a qualified BMW tech.

• My 2004 X3 started falling apart at 80K - I should have traded it in. I am now at 100K and the sunroof mysteriously fell to pieces and costs $2000 to repair. So my recommendation is to enjoy it for a 3 year lease (it was great in early years) but trade in before 50K miles. Also, do not order the panorama moonroof. BMW corporate would not assist with repairing it. My next car will not be a BMW because of BMW poor corporate response.
  • Please Google "statistically significant sample" Your sample size -- 1 -- is not a statistically-representative sample of the "population" thousands of of X3s sold during the model year of your X3 which, by the way, you failed to identify.

In addition, "started falling apart" is a meaningless statement.

Also, does, "I am now at 100K and the sunroof mysteriously fell to pieces" mean the glass shattered?
  • Good morning everybody and thank you for reading my new topic. It's my first post on this forum and I am glad I could find it as I often have to buy or sell vehicules and this place will definitely help me to make a logical choice.

Let's make it simple. I am the father of 3 kids, married and I love to travel. When I say travel, I say that I am planning at least one road trip per year. Well, I've been looking at the BMW X5 2002 and the BMW X3 2004. I previously owned a Mercedes 250 and a Ford fiesta and loved both. However, for the family needs, an SUV would be great. I've been seriously watching this truck until I received a cold shower reading the reviews. For a few, it was a fairytale. For others, it was a nightmare. Many people reported major breakdown after only 50K Kilo, which is absolutely abnormal for a high class vehicule (My first car was a Kia Rio and I never paid a buck until 150K Kilo).

The questionning I have brings me here. I would like you, BMW owners, to tell me your experience about this truck. What was the mileage when the first major breakdown happened? how long last the front/rear brakes? How long last a set of tires? How much it costed you to fix your vehicule? Maintenance fees?

I read that it's an amazing vehicule to drive. However, I want a german car for it's reliability. If this vehicule is more likely to break, what would you buy instead of that one? I really don't want to get stuck with a car that I need to send to the dealer every 10K kilo and this is why I would be glad if you share about your experience with your BMW X3 and X5.

Thank you very much for your kind help
    The questionning I have brings me here. I would like you, BMW owners, to tell me your experience about this truck. What was the mileage when the first major breakdown happened? how long last the front/rear brakes? How long last a set of tires? How much it costed you to fix your vehicule? Maintenance fees?

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy and haven't checked in as much as I should. I can tell you my experience with our 2004 X3 2.5.

Let me first say that the dealer or repair shop will have a major impact on your ownership experience; my dealer has been excellent. Now to your questions:

First major breakdown: At 136,800 miles the transfer case failed. Some fail earlier, some later, some not at all. At 148,000 miles the coolant expansion tank cracked, but most owners replace the expansion tank, radiator, thermostat, and water pump around 100,000 miles- although I waited until 156,000 miles(note that I also replaced the vapor separator system at the same mileage)

Brake lifespan: The first set of front and rear pads and rotors were replaced at 60,000 miles. The second set lasted somewhat longer- the rear pads lasted 71,600 miles(the rotors were still good) while the front pads/rotors went 83,700 miles. Note that brake and tire life are extremely dependent on driving conditions and driving style.

One major problem can be the huge sunroof- it is VERY expensive when it breaks. I advise leaving it shut and not using it.

Finally, the overall reliability is directly influenced by how well the car has been maintained. The more service records you can examine the better. Finally, any car you consider should be inspected by a shop that is familiar with BMWs and their common problems.

Let me know if I can help further!

• sheel160sheel160 Posts: 2
    I want to start off by saying I love the design both inside and out of this car BMW X 3 picked up where jeep Cherokee left off and took it a step further in my opinion. I had a straight six cylinder engine in an old jeep Cherokee that I owned and sorry to say did not service well and I sold it still running with 210k miles on it. I love the power of my x3 and the pano roof is awesome.

Now let me start with my experience. I bought my 2006 bmw x3 with 66245miles on it two weeks ago. It currently has 66962miles on it. Ifirst had an issue because on my 200 mile drive from the dealership that I bought my x3 from my check engine light came on. The next day the brake light went out. So I took the car into the dealership and $400 dollars later I have a new hose for exhaust recirculation up by the left side of the engine and a lower radiator hose and new fluid. I was quoted $500 additional cost for expansion tank, host radiator hose, thermostat and flush as preventative maintenance. Also noted was an oil pan gasket leak, rear differential leak, and dip stick o ring leak and I was quoted $2500 for that repair. The day after driving home from dealership car started squeeking and so I popped the hook and am starting to notice a small Frey in the ac belt. I called the dealership and was quoted $865 for the main belt, the ac belt, ac tensioner and new hydrolic tensioner apparently updated old mechanical tensioner and that was just the price of parts and did not include idler pulley. I washed my car yesterday and noticed that the front drivers side headlight seems to have a little fog and moisture in it. HELP!!!! Is this normal because I owned a Hyundai elantra that I drove for the past three years and was a 2003 with 103k miles on it when I bought it three years ago. And yes I put a ton of highway miles on it but I only put about $4500 into tires, brakes and other maintenance and valve cover gasket was the second most expensive malfunction on it. Is this what I have to expect from this car x3? I can't afford to dump another $3400 into this car so what should I do? Should I just try to sell it and cut my losses, try to DIY with some of it and ignore the oil leakes, or just start searching all around a good Indy? I live near Daytona beach Florida so if anyone knows any good Indy shops I would appreciate the help. Also any DIY for me keep it mind I don't have a garage and not a clue about bmws. Also I only have adecent socket set. To end this post I just want to say that the car still drives like. A Sherman tank and I love the steering and breaking that is so controlled. In my Hyundai the steering felt like steering a big rig with how loose it was but the tight steering in the x3 is pretty amazing. Also the breaking and the acceleration and quick shifting is unlike many cars I've driven.
  • sheel160sheel160 Posts: 2
    Also I did a vehicle history report and no accidents or flood damage on this vehicle. I did notice though that the battery has been replaced twice and the ac compressor and evaporator were changed twice. I have also noticed some interior issues that don't make sense. The cheaper pleather plastic whatever the seats are don't seem to wear well. Really by that I mean the drivers seat is cracked on the top and on the side about 6' each. The center sunglass holder I presume? Above the radio doesn't pop up. Also on the vehicle history report it was noted that the center cupholder was replaced but the replaced cupholder in there is currently semi broken and the gloss has worn off on that particular plastic on the center consol area. The wheels seem to scratch easily as I have noted scratches all over the wheel wells. Not a huge deal but annoying for such low mileage. And yes anything under 150k miles in this day and age with the technology is to be expected from all cars. The interior is expected to be semi worn but could have put anything else there and it woulfnt look so cheap and faded already. I hope the newer models changed this. I will say though that I love that the interior is basically all laminate bc it makes it easy to clean. I also love the trunk pull down cover as it's nice to be able to keep my golf clubs hidden not to mention the privacy glass. I have also noticed the car paint seems to be holding up very well and most of the trim seems to be well intact despite some of the issues ive read about from other owners experiencing leaks. No rust seems to have formed anywhere underneath but that is to be expected for Florida car. Also I think from what I've read working on this car can be a pita but underneath the hood just looks clean compaired the other cars as far as the design and the fact that it seems to stay clean in there. Also the key is pretty cool but touch start might be cooler and I'm sure was available at that time. I wish that a better radio and an mp3 port were on this car and I think a factory standard GPS is to be expected from a luxury car but I'm the one who bought one without. But no mp3 usb port in this year just seems cheap. They make up for it elseware I'm sure but I feel that such a great vehicle could be the best if not for some tweaking. Anyway I would recommend this car based on look and. feel but I would so far not recommend this car for cost of ownership because repairs seem to be to much too soon for such a young car
  • escargotescargot Posts: 1

I've been thinking about making the X3 my next SUV, and all of these comments have been frank, honest and very helpful. I currently have a Honda CR-V, and believe in retiring my vehicles only when they hit the 15-year mark or are totaled (unfortunately, that's what happened to the last two vehicles I owned). I'd like the X3 to last me 15 years as well, but it sounds like I'm lucky if I'd get 10 years out of it.

• I just purchased a 2008 X3 with 77K miles. I love the way the car handles and the spacious design of the interior. I originally test drove a Ford Escape and it was incredibly claustrophobic to me, the complete opposite of this car. I plan to do regular maintenance and oil changes more frequent than suggested. Hoping for my future 77K miles to be happy ones.

@‌spinyourwheels

Welcome! My son's 2004 X3 has 165k miles on it and still runs like new. In your case I would suggest changing brake fluid every two years, the BMW coolant at least every 3-4 years and the automatic transmission fluid and transfer case oil every 55-70k miles. Follow the factory service schedule on everything else.

I've been driving and playing with BMWs since 1983 so I'd be happy to try and answer any questions you may have.

2»