Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Pacifica Oil Problems

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,517
    My guess would be the problem is solved and you'll never hear from the person again. Unfortunately, this is very common on message boards like this and the reason why some problems get blown out of proportion. You hear the complaints only. Someone has a beef, they start a membership, post their problems everywhere, then leave, never to be heard from again. I would bet the person would have been back if the problems persisted.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• So far so good. I can not say enough about our dealership in the Grand Rapids MI area, they were cautious, but incredible to work with, just great Midwestern folks once again. They even gave us a loaner car for the three days of work it took to replace the pistons and rebuild the engine. We changed the oil after 1000 miles as the dealer instructed and it was still full and clean.

Sorry qbrozen, I don't get into online as much as I would like so sorry it took me 24 hours to reply. Those darn kids, family, church and work get in the way on Sunday and Monday.

I will make another post in 30 days to see if the oil consumption has completely ceased.

Good luck to everybody.
    Sorry qbrozen, I don't get into online as much as I would like so sorry it took me 24 hours to reply.

Not at all. I'm glad to be proven wrong in this instance. It is good to hear a positive update once in a while.

• Good Morning!
    I am also a victim of Chrysler's perfidious treatment of its customers! Our 2005 Pacifica AWD Touring has been a conspicuous oil burner since its earliest mileage, and seems to use around 1 quart per 1000 miles or so. Frankly, the dip stick is hard to read and quantify as one side reads differently than another, but based upon the marks, we are always needing oil.

I have run a 6 K mile consumption test with the dealer I purchased from and they are a PITA! They claim that this is normal, which is shear bunk! I owned a VW New Beetle which also used oil like this, and VW did a ring job at 60K free under extended warranty due to a known and acknowledged situation. Frankly, that is Chrysler's trouble here, fessing up to what is really wrong.

I am in the wholesale auto parts business. There is no way that oil consumption at this rate is normal. My VW Touareg V6 consumes no meaningful amounts of oil between oil changes at 7500 miles on Mobil 1. My Chrysler 2001 Town and Country 3.3L V6 also consumes virtually no meaningful amounts of oil. It too is on Mobil 1.

I am deeply concerned as I just got the Pacifica back last night from the second local dealer, who parrots the same oil use nonsense. Interestingly, they discovered and repaired a problem with our Power Transfer unit which has made clicking sounds since new, whenever the wheel turns around like in a three point turn... we took it in for this complaint, and they fixed it with a replacement unit, and they told me this was a known trouble and they even keep the PTU replacement in stock as a result.

It MUST be a known trouble, then, for a dealer to keep an expensive part in stock!!

Frankly, I am concerned about buying another Chrysler product. I do enjoy the T&C, but life is short and it will need replacing soon enough. What then?

I think it may become time to trade out of the Pacifica before it is too far gone - before the engine develops more serious oil related damages. I just don't see the competitor landscape as offering a good and clear choice to move to...

Thoughts?

Any other PTU troubles? :sick:
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Get a Honda next time.
    how many miles on your Pac? I'm assuming it is still relatively low since you have so many big vehicles on hand to drive.

Since you have a 75k mile powertrain warranty, I wouldn't be so quick to trade.

I also would find out exactly what the threshold is to justify an engine rebuild. Call chrysler directly and ask. Then, its just a matter of making sure your vehicle "consumes" that much.

• Problem is, you still need to show that engine damage occured while it was being properly cared for... which is to say that engine failure does not translate directly into a warranty job.

I am so soured by the oil comsumption of this motor. One quart on average every thousand miles since early on is the sign of sloppy manufacturing. I have other late model vehicles that use virtually none, really, none..! This car has 36K and is just 25 months old.

So the answer is to get the best possible value and let this become someone else's problem! :shades:
  • Sorry, faulty logic!

I have been using Mobil 1 and it still uses the oil like no tomorrow!

:confuse: :sick:
    Problem is, you still need to show that engine damage occured while it was being properly cared for.

Why is that a problem? Would you warranty something that wasn't properly cared for? Of course not. DID you properly care for it? If so, then what is the issue? They will fix it.

• My 05' goes through a quart every 1K. This is just not right, as everyone seems to agree, except Chrysler.

What dealership in G.R are you referring to? I am near there and would love to talk with the service manager.
  • myf16myf16 Posts: 5
    My 04 AWD with 50k miles on it burns 1 qt of very thin Mobil 1 5W-20 in 5k miles. I'm happy.
  • disomdisom Posts: 1
    ">I bought an 05 Pacifica in March with 29k miles on it. My husband builds engines and changes my oil. We took the car to Canada in July, got back and there was hardly any oil in it! Filled it up and 3k miles later, all the oil burned off again and then again. I called my dealer and told him the problem. They had to log the miles and how full it was now and then bring it in and they will log it again before Chrysler will allow to fix it.
    I'm glad I found this website. I will print the info out and take it in to the dealer as proof that this is a consistent problem with this vehicle. 41k miles and it burns oil?!?! I have never had a car do that. I love this car but I am scared of this monumental problem!
    I hope my dealership is as nice as the one in MI. But who's to say they are not going to put in parts that will have the same problems! Do I trade? Then what do I get that is comparable is space and luxury. Very tall, love the leg room. All other vehicles I test drove were very short or small in the 2nd seat.
    Any suggestions? :(
    i have no suggestions beyond what you are already doing.

• does anyone have a diagram for the oil sending unit? i can not find it anywhere. i have look on the sides of the block but can't find it. please help i would love to have a picture or a diagram if anyone can help
  • the Chrysler dealer on Plainfield across from the Meijer.

So far so good, I just checked the oil after 4000 miles and it is a smidge off of full

Good luck
  • I also have a 05 touring and thought I was in this sinking ship myself. What a dissapointment!!!! It is in the shop again right now I am waiting for a call. The dealership did a consumption test and replaced the valve stems. This did not repair the problem. My car still burns a quart of oil every 600 miles. I was told by Chrysler that it was ok to burn oil!!! So I said, are you kidding me!! Maybe YOU would like to supply me with cases of oil. This is so unfair to us and I know other people who have this car and are very happy with it. I guess luck was not I my side the day I picked this one out!!! I feel Chrysler should take responsibility for their error in the building of this engine. It seems a bad batch got out and I think we should make it their problem and not ours!!!! I want justice and hope my engine blows up in the dealerships shop today!!!
  • Please read my earlier posts. Have the dealership replace the pistons with new O-rings and you will fine. That batch of pistons in 2005 were too small for the engine block and thus the oil is ending up in the combustation chambers and getting burned. I am now about 4500 miles past our big fix and we are just slightly off the full mark on the oil dip stick, but nothing I am worried about.

Good luck
  • I just picked the car up. I am so sorry that it burns oil because it rides really nice and is so comfortable. Paper work says they checked the spark plugs, no sign of oil deposits and replaced pcv valve and cleaned out intake manifold. I am sure none of this is going to help. It also states engine operating as designed. Thats a joke or what!. I am going to call my mechanic tomorrow and explain things to him to see what he says. If you do not mind me asking how much what you recommended costs to have done. I almost feel like paying someone else to do it. Thank You for your feedback.
  • Can anyone help me? I am looking for a dealership who admits to these 05 Pacifica oil problems and that are willing to fix them. I live in New Jersey and my car originated in Michigan. I am now dealing with Buhler dealer in Hazlet. The manager their says nothing is wrong with it. I believe he does not want to take the time to fix it. Thank You
  • WE TOO HAVE ISSUES W/ THE OIL CONSUMPTION, HAVE TO CHANGE THE OIL EVERY 3,000 MILES ON THE DOT AND IT USES IF WE DO NOT... I AM WORRIED ABOUT BEING ON THE ROAD AND IT RUNNING OUT OF OIL.... MINE HAS 68,000 MILES AND WE ARE DISSAPPOINTED IN THE OIL ALTHOUGH WE LOVE THE CAR WE ARE LOOKING TO TRADE...... HOW MUCH DOES THE O RING REPLACEMENT COST FOR THE PISTONS?
    well, i can't speak as to whether or not they will fess up to the oil problem, but I go to Seaview Chrysler in Ocean, NJ and we've gotten fairly good service there.

• How did you find out it was a bad batch of 0 rings? and how do I know if that is the issue w/ my 04? would love documentation to bring to a dealer here. Was this covered under warranty? if not what was the cost to you? you must have felt the cost outweighed getting a new vehicle...... I live in NC and would love to fix the problem if I could instead of trading. thanks!
  • Thank you for your reply. I guess I can give them a try. If I get any assistance from a dealer or a lawyer, I will be sure to post it. Thanks again.
  • Just like to let everyone know that I have traded in my headache. So watch out prospected buyers DON"T BUY THIS ONE!!!!!!
    what did you trade for?

and, if you don't mind me asking, what did they give you for the Pac? What were the details on yours again?

I'm surprised you didn't give another service department a shot, but you did what you were happy with, so that's all that matters.

We still really like our Pac, but we won't be buying it at the end of the lease. 9 months to go and it goes back to Chrysler. Sometimes the actions of the transmission make me worry. That's the primary reason. Second is the gas mileage. We just aren't happy getting 18-19 mpg. Not that this second reason is a complaint. We knew we'd get around that when we bought it. But our priorities (not to mention the price of gas) have changed since then.

Based on these posts, I did check the oil recently. The car doesn't burn any, as far as I can tell. I'll check again closer to oil change time, however.

• I traded for a 07 Saturn Aura. Hope to have much better luck with this one. They gave me 11,750 for the pac. I paid 17,500. I took the loss upfront instead of putting the money in the terrible gas mileage and oil consumption. I did speak to other Chysler dealers over the phone who also told me it was ok to burn oil. I was back to the Saturn dealer yesterday (had a chip in windsheild which they fixed, no questions asked) and saw the pac out for sale . I wanted to see how much they were asking but thought that would add to the wound. I spoke with a mechanic there and he told me "It was just a matter of time before the transmission goes". What an expensive lesson!!! It's a good thing you leased this one. So far I love my Saturn and took an extened warranty just in case. Good luck
  • I bought a 2005 Pacifica two years ago and I've had nothing but problems. In the past 4.5 months its been in the shop 3 times = 4months. It has been a nightmare. I've called every number I can find connected to Chrysler to get help. I got the run around where one department sent me to the other. The cars engine was burning too much oil but I didn't know it. I live alone (female) and I am not a mechanic. The dealership replaced many parts (including the rings) costing several thousand dollars. Fortunately I bought a full warranty on top of the warranty that came with the car. Again it began having problems - back to the dealership we go - oil was pouring out of the engine. I took it in and they replace the cam shaft and tried to tell me it was an entirely separte problem. Again it begain having problems- back to the dealership we go - It is now in the shop and the motor has to be replaced. During this ridiculous amount of time the warranty provides for 5 days rental.
    I WARN anyone buying a car to stay away from Chrysler - RUN FOR YOUR LIFE !!!! Odessa TX
    Problems: engine sluggish
    car jerks when changes gears
    engine light comes on frequently
    makes rattling noise from engine - sounds like flapping
    steering is loose
    steering pulls to the right
    will jump into over drive for no reason - nearly hit other cars
    oil pouring from engine
    rattling noise has grown worse with every visit to dealership
    stalling over and over
    problems starting - make several attempts
    cruise control works off and on, loses speed and kicks in over drive
    for no reason - dealership continues to claim there is no problem.

NOTE: Recent problems, car is at dealership - Just to TRYING and get HELP

1. MAKES THE SAME RATTLING NOISE AS THE 1ST TIME I BROUGHT
    IT IN FOR REPAIRS
    2. KICKS INTO OVER DRIVE WHEN USING CRUISE CONTROL
    3. KICKS INTO OVER DRIVE WHEN NOT USING CRUISE CONTROL
    4. KICKS INTO OVER DRIVE WHEN SLOWING WITH BRAKES
    a. HAVE TO SLAM ON BREAKS SEVERAL TIMES
    5. USING EXCESSIVE GAS
    6. JERKS WHEN CHANGING GEARS

I WAS SLOWING AT AN INTERSECTION WITH A CAR IN FRONT OF ME. AS I NEARED THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME MY CAR KICKED INTO OVER DRIVE AND I NEARLY RAN INTO IT. I HAD TO SLAM ON MY BREAKS 2 TIMES TO MAKE IT STOP.

I am not blaming the dealership - I blame Chrysler who acts as though it is MY PROBLEM....
  • Does anyone know of a class action lawsuit?
    please email me at msnelsonmab@yahoo.com
    why not just talk to a lawyer about the lemon law in your state??

• waterdrwaterdr Posts: 307
    A car should not burn oil.....NOT EVER! if they do, you have a problem with the rings. The rings wrap around the pistons and keep the oil where the oil is supposed to stay. Burning oil is bad in many ways, not to mention the fact that you will ruin the O2 sensors, cats, and fill the combustion chamber with carbon. Burning oil means bad motor. No ethical mechanic would ever say what some of you people have been saying.

I have a 500 hp Mustang......it never burns oil. I have had cars with 100k miles...that never burn oil.

Get a lawyer and and utilize the lemon law. If your car has been into the shop more then 30 days in a year, you qualify, or have returned more then 4 times for the same problem.

I used the lemon law on a Chrysler back in 1992. I had the car for two years and got all my money back plus interest.

I have been driving Chryslers ever since actually, because my company uses them as company cars. The list includes, Intrepids, Caravans, and Magnums. Never had problems with any of them except they go through brakes too fast which I blame on the cheap brakes Firestone uses that my employer insists on installing.

BTW, I also own a 2007 Pacifica. The 2007's come with a lifetime Power Train warranty and the car has the much better 4.0L motor. I sure hope I have better luck then you folks have had on the '05's.