Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Pacifica Oil Problems

Comments

• brakenbraken Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Chry Pacifica with a 3.8L Motor. The oil light will flicker at idle. I have replaced the oil Pressure Sending Unit, I have changed the oil. I have dropped the oil pan and checked the Oil Screen for Gunk. I have also hooked up a computer and the oil pressure goes from 148 psi to 0 psi and then back to 148 psi. Is this a wiring problem?? I read where the 2.7L motor had this issue and the suggestion was to put a Wire Terminal Vent in the Oil Pressure Sending unit wiring. Any additional thoughts... has anyone ran into this?
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    I see a lot of oil consumption complaints, but what engine sizes have the problem? 3.5, 3.8, or 4.0 liters?
  • I have a 2005 Pacifica w/ 3.5L engine that has 55k miles, this morning I noticed a bluish cloud of smoke on start up, the smoke stopped right away. When restarting the cloud was back. Have never had this problem before, we bought the car in feb 2007 and have had all services performed by a local Chrysler dealer.

After reading some of the messages about oil consumption I am wondering if anyone had this happen too.

Thanks
  • jtg61jtg61 Posts: 43
    Your 2005 Pacifica should have the 7/70 transferable powertrain warranty as long as you paid the transfer fee when you bought it in Feb '07. The '05s were the only year with the 7/70 transferable powertrain warranty until they introduced the lifetime powertrain warranty in '07 which only applies to the original owner. Maybe you can have this serviced under warranty if you're lucky.
    Most of the oil consumption complaints I've seen have been with the 3.5L. The 3.8L seems to be pretty reliable and the 4.0L hasn't been around long enough to reveal many problems yet.
  • I purchased my 2005 PAC in August 2008. It only had 21,000 miles on it and seemed like a reliable car. I should have done my homework before I brought it after seeing all the things that have gone wrong with others. We decided to go on a road trip(500 miles 1 way) in December of 2008. Roads were icy and weather of course, was cold. The driver high beam headlight went out while going through a foggy area of Tennessee(Gorge) didn't notice and didn't pull over since we(everyone) was driving around 35 to 40 miles per hour. This lasted for abut 2 hours and then I needed gas. I pulled into a station and got out the car. I immediately heard a tapping noise(I had heard this noise before on my much older 1995 Blazer). I had taken the vehicle to the dealership to have things topped off and full oil change 3 weeks prior. I live 10 minutes from work and travel 10 minutes to church and back home on Sundays with an additional 5 miles added Monday through Friday to pick the kids up from day care. Everything else we need to have is within walking range or 3 to five minute drive. So I drive around 8 to 10 miles per day. This is normal activity. So when I called my husband and let him know what was happening, I had already checked the oil at the station and determined there was NOTHING on the stick!! I put in 4 quarts of oil in the car as my husband suggested and continued the rest of the way stopping for gas once only to recognize a slow tire leak. We ended up pulling over for the night, having the tire checked in the morning and continued on our trip. We called the place we purchased the vehicle from and reported what was going on the next day and they told us to just keep oil in it checking routinely and bring it in when we got back. WELL!! When we got back it was a different story as far as caring goes. My husband took the car and was told that quote "burning a lot of oil on a 1000 mile trip is not so bad". He immediately told the mechanic he couldn't possibly be serious and that he wanted to do an oil consumption test. The mechanic said that was fine, changed the oil, oil filter and spark plugs along with whatever else needed to be changed and said to bring it back in 1000 miles. Needless to say, we didn't make it that far, only drove for 489 miles before there was less than an inch of oil on the dipstick when checked. They still haven't found an answer to that. While the oil consumption thing is happening, I am driving home from work at 2 am in the morning and get to a stop light and stop. All the lights go out on my car as well as the CD player. for about 10 seconds and then they come on. The car didn't stall. I thought I might have hit the light switch and since it didn't happen again I kinda shrugged it off. STILL hadn't look out here to hear everyones opinions(dumb me!) Well about 2 days after this a dinging(like the ding you hear when there is low gas) starts. Just intermittently out of the blue. With full tank or half tank. No oil lamp ever came on. Then the flashing of all interior lights and radio going off at the same time along with the introductory 'ding' started. This is all happening from a Monday to a Friday afternoon when we could drop the car off to Chrysler. They took it on Friday and kept it calling us back on Monday and saying they couldn't duplicate the problem and that there was nothing wrong. I told them to KEEP it until it did what it was doing to me. The problems were getting to be everyday more than 4 or five times while I drove and it was scaring me. They kept the car for 14 days calling me back on a Thursday to say I could pick up the car on friday. The problem the "Harnest over the transmission was taunt and causing problems." They loosened it and said the problem had reoccurred when he drove it a full day after the fix. I said, very skeptically, Alright. Paid the diagnostic fee and left only to bring it back 5 days later with not only the lights flashing on and off the same time as the stereo but with the car now stalling as well. I am so up set. Guess where the car is as of right now? Yep, back at Chrysler and it'll stay there till they get it right or find a solution. Keep posting. I saw some good things that I'm going to swing by and ask that they check for.
  • well hopefully you have already resolved your problems.
    I had similar issues. I had to have the computer on the car "updated". Of course it is not covered under warranty. $150. This solved my electrical problems.
    In terms of the oil. Well that took me 4 years of fighting. I printed off a bunch of these posts and took them to the service manager. Finally a new engine. Haven't gone more than 1000 miles yet so we'll see if it helped. But if you do get a new engine, I suggest you have them replace the motor mounts at the same time. They are very well known for going bad. (two service advisers and manager told me)
    Also make sure there are not any odd noises when you drive away. Commonly the crossover pipe (part of the exhaust system) gets damaged internally during the engine replacement. My dealer tried to charge me for the repair, again not under warranty. Luckily a mechanic at another shop told me of the common damage and I got the dealer to repair for free. Also watch for clicking noises during turning. It is also common for the axle nuts to loosen over time. I'm currently waiting for a new front axle. Good Luck!
  • I have had many of the same issues posted here on my Pacifica. Here are some of the things I have learned.
    1) Oil Consumption test--make sure you go all the way through the 3000miles before you give up. My car consumed more oil in the final 1500 miles than in the first. I am told that this is common. Between 1500 mi and 2000 mi I consumed ¾ of a quart, however during the first 1500 mi, I only consumed a ½ a quart. I now have a new engine.
    Engine Replacement Issues
    1) Motor Mounts- Have them replace the motor mounts during engine replacement. Broken motor mounts are the most common issue with the Pacifica according to the dealer and not covered under your extended warranty. Upon inspection before they removed the engine, they determined I had two broken and a third was cracking. This will save labor costs down the road, as you will only have to pay for parts.
    2) Crossover Pipe- Commonly, during an engine replacement, the crossover pipe in the exhaust system will get damaged internally. The mechanic on visual inspection of the outside does not see this. Your engine will make a rough, rattle like noise during acceleration. According to the mechanic foreman, the inner layer will separate from the outer layer during take apart and reinstallation. The dealer will try to get you to pay for the repairs don't let them.
    3) Control Arm/Front Axle- Listen for a clicking and popping noise during turning. I hear it most pulling in and out of parking spaces. This is a damaged control arm and loose axle nuts. I am also told that this is very common on the Pacifica. I now have a new control arm and am waiting for a new right front axle.
    **Keep in mind that service advisers are paid on commission. Take the shop foreman on a test drive pre and post engine replacement. Listen for and document any noises. The dealer will try to get you to pay for any repairs after engine replacement. Also bring the service manager in on any issues. Advisers want the commission!
    [non-permissible content removed] Luck!
  • Thanks for all the information. I am about to pick the car up today. They replaced the alternator. I don't know what to expect now.
  • i'm sorry i can't come up with the right word, i even went out into the cold in my bare feet to get the owner's manual, but anyway, i have a severe oil leak in my wife's pacifica. when my fiend who helps me work on cars went to check it, we found there was oil EVERYWHERE to the right of the engine block, but not apparently any on the engine block. my friend thinks it's whatever (here's the word i can't come up with :] ) is right behind the grill. he figures a rock got kicked in there and broke something. wondering if you've seen or heard of anything like that before we try to mess around with replacing that part.

thanks.
  • I am going through this now with a 05 3.8. My oil light came on, I turn of the engine and restart, the light stays off for the trip. Now this occurs every morning. I have changed the oil and filter and no change in condition. Haven't noticed oil consumption, have 95k with no trouble previously.
    It could be the oil pump. Changing the oil and filter wouldn't help this.
  • Thanks, are they difficult to change? I think the 3.8 is in the timing chain cover?
  • Bought my replacement oil pressure sender today. should be easy replacement. Parts counter said these usually go, unlikely it a pump, keep you posted.
  • Changed the oil filter and purchased a new sender. Can't get the plug off the sending connection, broke the red lock mechanism attempting to remove with a screwdriver. I am so disgusted I will drive them engine dead and sell it for scrap.
  • So I have an 05 PAC touring edition and I LOVED the car itself but It was NOTHING but problems since I got it in 07. I bought the car cause my husband is in the Air force and we needed a reliable car and we were having a baby so this car was perfect until the brake sensors went out (all 4) the lifters went out, the transmission had like three leaks, two motor mounts broke, and now the transmission is SHOT so I have had this car for 2.5 years and just got a new car tonight so that I can let the PAC get repoded cause I am so upside down on this car and my warranty just expired three thousand miles ago and it wont pass the inspection for a new warranty and we don't have $3,000 for a new tranny. Thank god my husband has good credit and I got that car on my own. DO NOT BUY A CHRYSLER
  • Wow, I am just really upset at reading all these posts. I need a new oil pan for my 2004 PAC and just hit 126k miles. There is an apparent NATIONAL back order on those so I cant get one new and to install a used one is 600$ which wont last that long my mechanic said. He said if there was a national back order on one product that is an indication that Chrysler knows that there are problems with the oil pan. Anyone interested in a class action law suit? I dont want money I want a car that works properly !!!!
    I owned an '05 PAC with 3.8L 4-speed and got rid of it. I traded it in for an '08 PAC Touring 4.0L 6-speed. The difference is like night and day. This is what the PAC should have been from the start. The 62TE 6-speed transmission is light years ahead of the old clunky 4-speed. Mated with the 4.0L it is silky smooth and gets better gas mileage (27 Hwy, 22 City) real world. This is the same combo they use in the current T&C minivan so it's current and parts are available. Thankfully I'm the original owner so it has the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. Sadly this is not transferable. My advice is anyone who owns a PAC older than the '07 model should get rid of it and and used car buyers shouldn't buy anything older than an '07. The 4.0L 6-speed is a must have in a Pacifica.
  • Well people.... I'm back!!! After the replacement of the alternator about 6 weeks ago, it seemed that my PAC was back to good as new since no more flickering lights or car stalling...WRONG!! The flickering started gradually 6 days ago and has progressed back to the same state as it was before the alternator was replaced. We drove the PAC for the holidays. Got the oil and other liquids topped off before we left and everything appeared to be fine. We drove 270 miles from our front door and began to smell oil only to stop at a gas station and discover that the car was EMPTY of oil!!! We put 4 quarts in it and continued the additional 450 miles to our destination. When we arrived we checked the oil and it was full. The first 270 miles were all straight highway, no hills. The remaining 450 was over, around and through the mountains since I-40 has been closed due to rock slide. On the trip back, the oil was checked prior to departure and we went over the river and through the woods and around the mountains and arived at the destination we originally stopped at on the way to check the oil. The oil was fine. We drive the next 250 miles of straight highway and began to smell oil. Pulling over to check and guess what.... The car was low on oil!! We added 2 quarts and arrived home taking it to the Chrysler dealer the next day. We had reported the problem after the holiday before we came back so they were expecting us. Now, here's the kicker ladies and gentlemen...The printed up a copy of what 'Chrysler' has deemed check points for any problem and started down the list only to get to the part about the PCV and tell us that maybe something is sticking(The valves are new! They replaced them 3 months ago!) and that the only way for them to check this is to drive the car. Now, I'm no mechanic, but the way it seems to me is that if we are losing all on a straight highway driving 3 hours at a time, then for them to drive it over several days to get to the 200 mile marker is NOT going to show them what they need to see. Frustrated because this was there suggestion. We told them ok, there are over 40,000 miles on the car; I drive the PAC to and from work and babysitter each day which puts about 15 miles a day on the car. They are now wanting to add mileage that may not show them a problem and I have a problem with this. Is there no other way they could test this? This is all so meaningless!! We haven't even gotten to talking about the flickering lights again!!! We've decided to let them drive but told them, somebody needs to take a road trip and get it all done in one day with their little gadget to check codes, that will probably NOT show up. They didn't before so I don't know why they think this will be different. I'll keep you all posted.
  • I couldn't get the sending unit plug off last week so tonight its coming off with pliers or hammer. Washington should bail us out, not Detroit.
  • Forced the connector off and now find there is a special socket that Chrysler has created to remove the sender. Theres another 20 bucks. Interesting that I removed the connection and started up the car and got the oil pressure light, turned it off and restarted and no light, this was the exact condition when the sender was attached. Maybe Chrysler has programmed a service condition in the ecm to create business?
  • Thanks for your posting. I have a 2006 PAC that has about 130,000 kms (80,000 miles). Bought it new in 2006 and it has been nothing but trouble since I owned it - continuous front suspension issues, headlights burning out, electrical problems, and now its burning at least 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. I'm heading to the garage tomorrow morning to get them to fix the oil problem (ha, ha, ha...). I'm curious to see what they're going to say, in light of all of the postings I've been reading. I'm hoping its not the cylinders/oil rings, and maybe the sender. We'll see, I'll let you know their diagnostic.
  • You are in my prayers. I'm on the phone with the Chrysler service center now. They've had my car since Monday November 30th. They put someone on the road and they've now come up with the oil is going to the intake valves. They drove it and this is what they came up with. Putting a valve cover on it. They are waiting for the part. I showed them a posting from this web site where one of our members had suggested this and they blew me off! Now they are fixing the exact same thing that was reccommended AFTER putting an additional 250 miles on my car. AMAZING!! AND the electrical issues that are still going on have not even been addressed!! I'll keep you posted folks!! Anybody know how we can get these things passed by the LEMON LAW!!!
  • What a waste to see the «indifference» management attitude at Chrysler. I feel bad for the thousands of employees whose work depends on the idiots who are designing motors, suspensions, transmissions and electrical systems at Chrysler. I should have been a little smarter when I bought the PAC in 2006, especially after having read all of the poor feedback from consumer reports indicating how unreliable Chrysler products are in comparison to most other car manufacturers. I was hoping that this car was going to be different, although I've been known to be too much of an optimist at times. Trust me, I will never buy another Chrysler again and believe me, I will tell as many people as possible about it. I'm just hoping/dreaming/allucinating that my mechanic will be able to identify the cause of my oil problem at the dealership this week. I'm still hoping..... despite all of the negative comments in this forum. Stay tuned dudes....
  • Ok everyone. Here is the latest update from Chrysler on the electrical problems(along with oil consumption) that I have been facing. I was told by the serviceman that concerning my 'electrical problems' Chrysler relayed to them that the issues were not consistant enough to continue to try and fix the problem. OMG!!!! What do I have to do? The car was in there for almost a month, 3 times, for the same electrical issue that they fixed 3 separate things for claiming that they solved the problem. OH LORD!!!
  • If you've been following the comments in this forum, you know that all of us have at least one thing in common - «serious premature oil consumption problems with our Pacifica» and an unwillingness of Chrysler to acknowledge the problem. I have decided to bring it up with my dealership In Montreal, Canada. Of course their first reaction was «its not on warranty anymore» and I said answered OK, but I still need to get it fixed. Their next reaction was «we need to do an oil consumption test» after which I answered «I don't want an oil consumption test as I know that I'm losing 1 liter (1 quart) of oil every 1000kms (600 miles). After arguing with them a little and after they did a visual inspection to see if the motor was leaking oil anywhere, they will be opening up the engine to see if there is any internal premature wearing of the oil rings (as indicated in some of the previous comments in this forum) or anything else, such as damage to pistons or walls. FYI, I sent them a copy of some of the very pertinent comments in this forum to help them understand that this is a common problem, even if Chrysler has not formally acknowledged it. I doubt if Chrysler will ever agree to do anything about it, unless there is legal action but I'm hoping/dreaming/halucinating that the delearship may be competent enough to find the solution, even if it costs me $$ to get it fixed.
    Stay tuned dudes.
  • Hi dudes.
    See my previous comment for follow-up. I just received a phone call back from my Chrysler dealership in Montreal, Canada. The service guy started off by telliing me that he had bad news for me. Then he let me have it right between the eyes. In summary, the pisiton rings are finished and as a result, too much oil is being consumed inside the engine. The reason why the piston rings are finished is because the cylinders and no longer perfectly cylindrically round and as a result, they are wearing out the rings. He quickly added that it would be useless for me to change only the rings because they would wear out over the next few months with the bad cylinders. This is where it gets really frustrating - Chrysler is no longer making the short block for the 3.5L engine - I would have to get the long block for the 3.5L engine. The cost to replace and install the long block would be about $10,000. So, the decision was easy for me. I'm getting rid of my Pacifica and I'm going to buy a trouble free Toyota, either a Venza or a Highlander. I just feel bad that someone else will be inheriting the problem from me. This is my last comment on this forum. Thanks to everyone who has helped me better understand the oil consumption problem of my PAC and good luck to you if you are just starting to learn about your problem. One word of advice, get yourself a good mechanic and hope he has an open mind. This forum has been very helpful to me.
  • I started having heater control problems with my 04 pacifica. No matter what setting I selected I only got air through the dash vents. I brought it into the dealership, and was told that the powerhead was "froze". The tech recalibrated it whatever that means,and got it working for about two weeks. I am now back to having no floor heat,and no defrosters. Anyone else have this issue ?
  • My 05 Ltd. with 66k miles just started doing this as well a couple weeks ago. I have not taken it to the dealership yet (no time) as the heat is still working just not keeping our feet warm. Please keep us posted as to what you learn and I will do the same.