Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Liftgate and Door Problems

I have a 2007 EB Exp EL with the power liftgate option. Recently (and intermittantly) it has had problems opening and closing. It acts like a garage door opener with sensor problems and refuses to open or close. Just had it in to the dealer on two occasions for this problem. They could get it to replicate only once, but we have it on video and showed them. I believe it is some sort sensor problem as dashboard control cluster tells me that my liftgat/window is ajar. They (dealership) seem perplexed, but ordered a new liftgate handle..?? Any other owners out there with the same problem (or with a solution)?
Thanks for your help....

Comments

• I too have a 07 EB Expy EL, I have not had the lift gate issue. I live in the interior of Alaska and even with -55 degree days the lift gate has been fine. Only issue so far is an intermitted DVD player, but that has be fixed....This is my first Ford product, was a bit leery, love the truck, would buy again if I had to do it over....cheers.....
  • my3boys1my3boys1 Posts: 4
    I live in md and was interested in leasing a expedition el with dvd and possibly sunroof for 3 yr 15 miles. Any good deals?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    You'll find this discussion to be helpful: Ford Expedition: Lease Questions.
  • buzzz1buzzz1 Posts: 42
    1) Rear hatch glass very hard to shut. Have to slam it.

2) Pull to the right or left? Out of alignment?

3) Rear hatch(metal) squeak? Won't close tightly?
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    I understand there is a TSB for that.

Mark.
  • buzzz1buzzz1 Posts: 42
    For which item? Do you have a link or TSB number? Thanks.
  • Hi! I have an '04 Ford Expidition and when I bought the truck when I would turn on the car and drive it would automatically lock and when I would turn it off the doors would unlock, now they lock on their own but they do not unlock when I turn the car off, I have to press the button on the door for them to unlock. The dealership is telling me that they never unlocked on their own and I should always have to unlock them myself. For you owners out there with this body style, do your doors unlock when you turn your vehicle off? Help please I have to go back to the dealership tomorrow and i would love to be able to get this solved.

Thanks!
  • Hello-
    I've had a used 2004 Expedition for almost a year, and I can report that my locks DO NOT unlock automatically when I put the car in park or take the key out. However, when I go to open the driver's door, whether or not it locks, it opens when I pull up the handle.

I'd have to pull my manual out to see if there's anything in there about automatic unlocking, but I don't think there is. I know you can program whether or not you want the doors to lock when you get over 8 MPH, but I don't think auto unlocking is an option.
  • I have recently purchased a 2007 EB Expedition EL and am having the same liftgate problems described above. Did you find a solution to the problem? The dealership is perplexed as to the cause. Thanks
  • I have never had a Ford that automatically unlocked the doors when you turned off the engine. I have owned a Explorer, Windstar, Navigator, and an Expedition. I think the dealership is right. The car isn't supposed to unlock the doors by themselves. If I had a car that automatically unlocked the doors, I would bring it back.
  • glen_cglen_c Posts: 4
    Hey, I also have an '04 EB. My locks remain locked after shutting it off. Not an issue in the front seats but I have to press the unlock for the kids to get out the back.
  • claygclayg Posts: 1
    I can't open the drivers door from the inside on my 2003 XL T. The door latch seems to be disconnected from whatever lever is necessary to open door. Can anyone help with this?

thanks
  • kearwoodkearwood Posts: 3
    I have a ford expedition that has four problems
    one being a relay relay but know nothing about relays. My expedition has the door ajar on the message center but no doors are ajar. This in turn causes the lights to not go out and the door locks to not lock automatically and when you take the key out of the ignition the radio goes off instead of staying on until you open the door.

Secondly, we also have problems with the cruise control not working.
    Thirdly, the foot pedal that moves the pedals forward or backward.
    Last the cd player keeps the cd and will not release it I push the eject but it shows no cd but I know for a fact there is a cd in area 1 and a cd in area 2.

any help would be appreciated.
  • "My expedition has the door ajar on the message center but no doors are ajar. This in turn causes the lights to not go out and the door locks to not lock automatically and when you take the key out of the ignition the radio goes off instead of staying on until you open the door."

My 2003 Expedition EB does the exact same thing and the WD40 tip did not work for me. Did you ever get this problem resolved? Any other tips?
  • We have a 2008 Expedition Eddie Bauer with the electronic lift gate option. In cool or cold weather the lift gate opens then immediately closes. The dealer has replaced the pistons several times but the problem continues. It seems the pistons are spec'd incorrectly or are defective. The problem does not occur in warm weather when the pistons apparently have sufficient gas pressure. Has anyone else experienced this problem? The dealer tells us they have not seen it before.
  • The same thing happened on my 2008 Expedition this afternoon - liftgate not staying in the open position. Did you get your issue resolved and if so, what did they do to fix it?

Thanks in advance
  • The problem does seem to finally be fixed. We aren't sure exactly what they did, but last time we had it back to the dealer they changed some computer codes. It was not a problem with the gas pressure in the pistons as originally thought. Our problem only happened on cold days, so the piston thoery seemed to make sense.
  • "My expedition has the door ajar on the message center but no doors are ajar. This in turn causes the lights to not go out and the door locks to not lock automatically and when you take the key out of the ignition the radio goes off instead of staying on until you open the door."

My 2003 Expedition EB does the exact same thing and the WD40 tip did not work for me. Did you ever get this problem resolved? Any other tips?

Did you guys figure out what to do to resolve this? Our 03 Expedition door ajar light comes and goes, beeps like mad all the time and if we leave the interior lights on, it sets the alarm off
  • No but it is winter and this problem only happens when the temperature outside gets above 80 degrees. So for now, we are not addressing the problem. We will see what happens when the heat rises. We are in Georgia so that could be as early as April.
  • edavis49edavis49 Posts: 1
    I'm trying to find instructions on how to replace my rear door and window struts. I have to hold the rear window open and I have to manually close the rear door.
  • Hey Man, I saw your post on a couple of sites, LOL.

I have a 99 EB Expedition, had the same problem today.

I sprayed WD40 really well in all door latches, and the one that seemed to finish her off, was the rear window latch.

I had noticed recently that I had to close it kinda hard, for the door ajar light to go off, but when I tested today, it 'caught' so I didn't pay it any more mind.

but Alas, that was it...at least I think....the lights didn't go out until I sprayed that one, and when I closed it, it 'latched' easier, and the lights went out.

Good Luck, orale.
  • O.K. My window on my 2006 Expedition operates, and all other doors work fine, but for whatever reason the liftgate will not work? How do I reset or get it to open? It is not a power liftgate, only has electronic locks option.
  • Have an '03 Eddie Baer Expedition with electrical locks, when car is driven doors will lock automatically. Last week after engaging the unlock switch, the rear hatch door would not open. After re-engaging the lock and unlock switch again, I was able to open the hatch door. Now the hatch door will not unlock and am unable to open hatch door, however, I can open hatch window.
    Any suggestions, would be appreciated. I do home inspections and retrieving ladder thru hatch window is cumbersome!
    Thanks-Jack
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Posts: 299
    I think a pretty common issue is the actuator attached to the handle inside the door breaks off.
    You will need to get the trim off the panel from the inside to fix it.
  • is removing door trim doable while door is in closed position? or is a way to bypass door lock?
    It is possible, I haven't done it, only read about it.
  • larry715larry715 Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem, do you recall where you read about removing the trim?
    It was on a different forum...not sure the moderators would appreciate me writing it here.
  • was under the impression, that the purpose of this forum was to provide information, directing to a different forum shouldn't be an issue!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,794
    Pointing to info is one thing, being a link farm is another.

Sylvia, "Forums Discussion Finder: Get Directions Here" #1383, 17 Mar 2003 10:36 am

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.