Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition Liftgate and Door Problems

Comments

• Hey Man, I saw your post on a couple of sites, LOL.

I have a 99 EB Expedition, had the same problem today.

I sprayed WD40 really well in all door latches, and the one that seemed to finish her off, was the rear window latch.

I had noticed recently that I had to close it kinda hard, for the door ajar light to go off, but when I tested today, it 'caught' so I didn't pay it any more mind.

but Alas, that was it...at least I think....the lights didn't go out until I sprayed that one, and when I closed it, it 'latched' easier, and the lights went out.

Good Luck, orale.
  • O.K. My window on my 2006 Expedition operates, and all other doors work fine, but for whatever reason the liftgate will not work? How do I reset or get it to open? It is not a power liftgate, only has electronic locks option.
  • Have an '03 Eddie Baer Expedition with electrical locks, when car is driven doors will lock automatically. Last week after engaging the unlock switch, the rear hatch door would not open. After re-engaging the lock and unlock switch again, I was able to open the hatch door. Now the hatch door will not unlock and am unable to open hatch door, however, I can open hatch window.
    Any suggestions, would be appreciated. I do home inspections and retrieving ladder thru hatch window is cumbersome!
    Thanks-Jack
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Posts: 288
    I think a pretty common issue is the actuator attached to the handle inside the door breaks off.
    You will need to get the trim off the panel from the inside to fix it.
  • is removing door trim doable while door is in closed position? or is a way to bypass door lock?
    It is possible, I haven't done it, only read about it.
  • larry715larry715 Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem, do you recall where you read about removing the trim?
    It was on a different forum...not sure the moderators would appreciate me writing it here.
  • was under the impression, that the purpose of this forum was to provide information, directing to a different forum shouldn't be an issue!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,968
    I told him it was a bad idea :)
  • The door handle on the rear hatch of my 98 Expedition is half-broken. I can turn the handle to the right and the rear window opens. Turn it to the left (to open door) and I get nothing. Hoping to take off inside door trim to access mechanism, but can't do it with door closed. Catch-22 I guess. :confuse:
  • You can pop the trim off if you can open the glass. First remove the upper trim by prying it away from the overhead. It is fastened with standard trim mounting fittings. Next remove the lower trim from the inside door the same way. If the '98 is the same (and it probably is) as the '97, you probably have cables connecting the door handle and the latch releasing mechanisms for both the glass and the liftgate. The cables are enclosed in a sleeve which has anchor brackets on both ends. These brackets are made of hard plastic and have a limited life span (about 10 years) and break into multiple little pieces when they fail. Ford only sells a complete latch assembly (about $150) which includes the cables. I haven't found a source for the cables by themselves. If you have let me know.
  • thnx jackb355,,,, Got the window open with no issue. Took off the upper trim with minor struggle. afraid of damaging the lower trim unit but if you say they pop off i will go back and try again. Thanks again........Gary :)
  • Ended up at Rigsby's Auto Salvage in Zephyrhills last Saturday. Got a replacement panel in case I damaged the existing one removing it. Jose from Rigsby's assisted in the removal of the panel. No damage and he replaced the short (8") cable that turned out to be defective. Very helpful guy. I love happy endings.....Gary :D
  • Bought a new 2010 Expedition EL LTD in August 2010; the vehicle has had more than a reasonable number of quality problems that should have been caught in normal factory quality control checks. Pretty much after I got it home, I noticed the rear passenger door was hard to close and it did not line up with the adjacent door jamb of the body. The dealer was able to adjust it so it looks a bit better and closes more easily. The dealer also noticed the electric rear liftgate was making a grinding sound when the liftgate hit its latch when closing. I thought this was normal (perhaps some servo sound), and now that it is fixed, the liftgate makes a simple click sound, like closing a regular car door. If anyone is experiencing the same grinding noise, I would suggest getting it checked out.
  • I HAVE A 2004 EXPIDITION EB. EVERYTIME I START MY CAR THE LIFTGATE GLASS POP OPEN.AND SOMETIMES WHEN I UNLOCK THE CAR THE LATCH WILL JUST UNLOCK RANDOMLY. I WAS GETTIN GROCERY OUT AND I THE GLASS UNLOCKED AND WHILE THE HEADLIGHTS STAY ON THE LOCK WOULD JUST KEEP UNLATCHING. IS MY LATCH JUST BROKEN? HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM?
  • sgomezsgomez Posts: 2
    When I push the button on the drivers side to unlock the other doors sometimes they will unlock and sometimes they won't, even the door lock on the passengers side will do this too what can I do about this
  • ngustinngustin Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Ford Expedition EL Limited SUV. It has close to 100,000 miles. Just recently my liftgate will open automatically when the car is turned off or in park. When I try to close the gate within the car, or with the remote it will not close, or will close partially and reopen, I can only keep the door closed if I lock all doors. The handle to manually open the door also does not allow you to open the door. I am trying to find out what kind of issue I am looking at. Has ford issued a recall for any rear liftgate issues? I am dreading the visit to the ford garage however, I am worried about driving my car. I love my Ford. However, I can't afford a major car expense. Can anyone give me an idea of what is wrong?
  • I just started having the opposite problem. Its a 2007 expedition and the lift gate will start to open about 6 inches and then closes from remote, inside button and outside handle. When I manually open it and try to close it automatically it seems to try to open even more or does nothing. Any info would be great, Thanks