Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Sonata Front Suspension "Thunk"

Comments

• Your lucky that you car is all right. They are not all the same. I had a fellow who lives near my job who has the exact same car that I have, even the color, take a ride with me. He said in my car you feel every bump even the small ones. He said his was different. The people are in this forum are trying to find a way to fix a problem. Some people keep reporting there is no problem. If you have no problem with your car doesn't mean no one else does.
  • jack47jack47 Posts: 312
    When I initially drove my '09 GLS home from the dealer it "thumked" like hell. After getting home I checked the tire pressure and it was over 60 pounds (which it is set at the factory) ....the dealer has not reset the pressure to the recommended 32 psi.

Nevertheless, there is still a harder thumping sound when driving over rough pavement (on smooth roads it's fine).

BTW, at 81 years of age, this is not my first car. And, (laugh) I hope it's not my last.
  • gslav1gslav1 Posts: 23
    I own a 2009 Hyundai sonata and have the same problem!!!!

the car rides like a 10 year old car. thumping and bucking over small bumps.

Otherwise the car is great its a shame that Hyundai got this wrong and will not fix the problem.
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    hi folks,iam considering purchasing a 09 sonata gls sedan.but now after reading all of these thunking posts iam a little hesitant.are there still suspension issues with the 09 sonatas or have they been fixed yet?
  • After reading all these posts how can you want buy one.
    Make sure you drive it over bumps, pot holes etc.
    I don't know if all the cars are the same. Read all the posts.
    I hate my car. Good luck.
  • I purchased a 2009 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6/Nav system in June and it is the worse riding car i have ever had.The suspension is terrible you feel every bump, pot hole on the road and it's makes this awful thunking sound.
  • vinngvinng Posts: 12
    I also purchased a 2009 Sonata in June of last year. Clunking, thunking, and rattling on down the road. Got rid of it in a hurry. Please don't buy that hunk of junk that Hyundai calls a car.
  • jack47jack47 Posts: 312
    I purchased a GLS I4 Sonata in September. Black with a grey interior.

The car is beautiful.... both interior and exterior.

On a smooth road it rides fine...BUT, unfortunately, there aren't many smooth roads in NJ...

On the positive side...with all the "thumping" you probably won't fall asleep behind the wheel.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,622
    Yet you bought the car anyway? Why? :surprise:
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Westerville, OhioPosts: 371
    I ended up buying a loaded 2009 Fusion SEL V6 back in October after narrowing down my choice to a '09 Sonata Limited V6. The last thorough test drive of both made my choice very easy. The Fusion was very smooth with little noise over bumps. The Fusion had better leather which was like night and day as compared to the quality of the leather Ford had in the past on their mid size cars. The Sonata ride was terrible as far as suspension noise goes. Also it seems the leather was not improved from the leather in my 2003 Sonata LX. I returned to the Hyundai dealership and told them I was buying the Ford. Glad I did. Fusion is a great car. I was disappointed that the Hyundai rode that way because in many other ways it is a very good car. You can't beat the warranty. I did purchase an extended bumper to bumper warranty for the Fusion because I was able to get them to knock $250 off the price of it.
  • We own a 2006 Sonata and are hearing a rear thunk now. Any ideas? I was wondering maybe it is the rear shocks? It's not like we four wheel the car.
    Along with that, our Airbag light stays on all the time and the ABS/ESC lights keeps coming on after driving for a few minutes. Awhile back we had to have the timing chain tensioner replaced after grinding noises at start up. The Dealer kept saying they did not hear anything and then they would say it was "normal" during the same conversation. After three attempts of trying to get it fixed and letting the dealership know that there was indeed a TSB for that problem, they finally heard the noise and fixed it.
    Is there any TSB's for the ABS/ESC lights as well as the Airbag lights?
    well folks, i finally decided to go take a test drive this morning in a 09 sonata gls auto at my local hyndai dealership here in south fla.i have narrowed down my choices of cars to purchase.i have already test driven 09 altima,malibu,mazda 6,and honda accord,.the sonata was to be the last car i would test drive before i made up my mind to which car i would be purchasing.i asked the salesman who was rideing with me on the test drive if the suspension issues have been fixed with the sonata's and he said absolutley.i then asked to take the car on some bumpy roads in or around the dealership and he said that he did not know of any and that i must stay around the dealership for insurance purposes.however,i noticed there was a railroad crossing a few blocks away from the dealership and decided i would go and see how the suspension would react to going over some railroad crossing.luckily there was a pretty bumpy road on the other side of the crossing.sure enough i couldn't believe it.i heard the suspension noise and the car felt like an old pickup truck going over these bumps.i turned to the salesmen and said this test drive is over for 2 reasons.#1 because of how bad the suspension was over the bumps and railroad tracks and #2 because the salesmen lied to me when he said that the suspension issues with the sonata have been fixed.he kept on insisting that the rough ride was due to the sporty suspension.i have had many sports cars in the past including,corvette,camaro,and firebirds that all rode better than this sonata.i urge anybody in the market for a new sonata to test drive the car over some rough roads before deciding on a purchase.if you don't you will regret it.
    You should take the car into the dealer ASAP on the ABS/ESC lights and airbag light. Either one could indicate a problem in those important safety systems.
  • I'm happy that someone read these posts and avoided a bad car.
    What did you end up with?
    well,now that iv'e test driven the cars that i was considering and happily can eliminate the sonata as a future purchase i think i will consider purchasing a mazda 6.the 6 is only about a grand more than the sonata gls that i test drove however,the mazda 6 had the best ride-handling ratio out of all the cars that i test drove although the malibu came in pretty close behind the mazda 6.
  • supermsuperm Posts: 16
    I'd considered one also, so rented one to see if the clunking I'd seen in a previous rental was the exception or the rule.

If anything the car I have now at 6k miles is worse- the clunking and rattling has gotten this car rattled off my list!
  • Has anyone beeb able to have the "thunk" problem fixed yet?
  • I thought I'd chime in on the subject since I've driven quite a few 4th generation Sonatas, both rentals and test drives (15+ miles) at dealerships:

2006: 3 GLS models (1 rental), 1 LX model
    2007: 1 GLS model, 2 SE models (1 rental)
    2008: 1 GLS model (rental)
    2009: 1 GLS model

I own a 2006 GLS V6.

On all types of road surfaces, none of the above Sonatas I drove had an uncomfortable ride nor excessive noise. The SE and LX models had lower-profile tires on 17" rims, which transmitted a little more noise/impact over expansion joints and potholes compared to the GLS models with 16" tires/rims.

Other vehicles I've driven extensively: 1989 Lincoln Continental, 1988 Lincoln Mark VII, 1991 Cadillac Sedan Deville, 1994 and 1996 Ford Thunderbirds, 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis, 1993 Buick Lesabre, 1999 Lexus GS300, 1999 Buick Park Avenue, 1996 Lincoln Town Car, 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 pickup (hard suspension), 1987 Dodge Ram D250 cargo van (hard suspension), 1991 Dodge Ram D250 pickup upgraded to 1-ton rear springs (extremely hard suspension), 2001 Hyundai Accent, 2006 Honda Accord EX, 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5, 2007 Toyota Camry LE.

To sum it up, I've driven vehicles with suspensions so soft that they seemed to float over any imperfections in the road. I've also driven vehicles with suspensions so rough that I could feel my brain rattle inside my skull while driving over just moderately rough pavement. The only modern midsize car I've experienced that has a "pillowy" ride is the Camry. The Altima and Accord both have a firmer ride. The Sonata's ride and handling seem to be somewhere in the middle - not super-soft and numb/disconnected like the Camry, but softer and not as nimble feeling as the Altima and Accord.

These, of course, are just my experiences and impressions - to be taken with a grain of salt just like everything else posted in these forums.
    Of the 20-odd 2006-9 Sonatas I've driven, only one had excessive noise from the suspension (it was a 2008 GLS with 25k miles on it). But extrapolating that to the (rough estimate) 500-600,000 Sonatas sold in the U.S. since early 2005, that could be 25-30,000 with a suspension noise problem. Of course, a sample size of 1 is not very meaningful statistically, but it shows that even if the problem is limited to a small percentage of cars, there are many owners who could have that problem.
  • vinngvinng Posts: 12
    Yes, I solved it. I got rid of that piece of junk 3 months after I bought it. Maybe you can do the same.