Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is "White" a manly color for a car?

Comments

• fezofezo Posts: 9,328
    Oh, good!

You first.....
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 11,680
    No. Both white and black are absent of color. Think of matter and anti-matter.

Sorry while black is the absence of color white is a combination of all colors. Shine a white light through a prism and it will break up into individual colors.

That being said my very first car back in the late 70's was white. It was a 69 Boss Mustang, now someone try to tell me that wasn't a manly car.

The sign said "No shoes, no shirt, no service", it didn't say anything about no pants.

• andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,593
    Older cars generally looked better in white, as there was a lot of chrome trim, bumpers, rubber, etc. to break up the field of white.

That applies to dark colored cars as well, particularly black ones. I've built a lot of scale models of sports cars and noticed that without a little chrome to frame the design they lose something.

Allow me to illustrate:

1969 Porsche 911S:

1990s Porsche 911:

2000 BMW 528i, 2001 BMW 330CiC

• ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    ...I guess it depends on what kind of 'man' you'd like to be. I'm not generally a big fan of white cars, but I do think it looks good on a few, and on larger, more utilitarian vehicles (minivans, maybe). That said, I think it depends on where you live, too. I live in Chicago, we have tons of black cars and very few white; they're both a pain to keep clean, but white in particular looks like crap when it's covered with salt or slush, not to mention rust. I wouldn't want a black car in Texas, Arizona or Florida, but there are tons of white cars out there.
  • cottermcotterm Posts: 14
    I don't see white as either male or female color. Pearl white is a different story though. I get so sick of the stereotypes. I am looking to sell my f150 lariat and go to a smaller SUV or larger sedan. However, seems like all the midsize SUV's are perceived to be womens cars. Had an expedition before, and dont want to go that big. From what I read around here, it seems as though I must go with a black Hummer :)
  • This is the first time I ever submitted a forum question. I was overwhelmed by the number of responses. Thanks so much for all your help. Like one of you suggested, I am a very self confident person. I will drive what I want to drive, so white it is. Thanks again everyone!
  • gussguss Posts: 1,181
    Just don't let it be a pink VW New Beetle , that would be very feminine. :)
  • john_324john_324 Posts: 974
    I think buying a Hummer of any sort says a lot about one's masculinity. But not in the way that their buyers believe. ;)
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    "Real Men, Wear Black" :shades:

I think the same can be said on cars in most cases unless that color is Cadillac
    "Pearl White Diamond" ;)

Rocky
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,120
    My Cadillac Seville STS is White Diamond and everybody loves the color. One of the best things about white is that it hides scratches better than many colors. I also love red, but it attracts scratches and cops.
  • gussguss Posts: 1,181
    Tony Soprano would not be caught dead an a white Escalade !

But, who knows , by the end of this season he may be found dead in a black one.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    Bo knows baseball and football, but a white mustang gt with black top is a classic.
    california special
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    Not my cup of tea. I'd rather have a Black GT500 Stang probably over any other color.

Rocky
  • daysailerdaysailer Posts: 711
    who is more concerned with practicality than image, whit may be the BEST color. White is more reflective than other colors which reduces solar heating. It is also among the most visible of colors (other than international orange or bright yellow) which has obvious benefits.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Great Northwest, West of the Cascades.Posts: 3,320
    It is rather attractive, but without the perfunctory "Wing" mounted on the decklid, it would be a lot better. What a way to break up flowing lines.
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 6,225
    There's only one way to show that you're a real MAN...Drive an old pick-up with oversize "monster truck" wheels. Only a real man can climb up into one. It should have a good deal of rust to show that you're an "experienced man". Large amounts of mud all over it to demonstrate that you are an "outdoors man". A gun rack in the back window will warn everyone to watch out, you are a "Dangerous man". Finally, a pair of fuzzy dice will tell everyone that you are a "Ladies man".

Or, instead of worrying about what your dumb buddies think, buy what you want and if they don't like it they can walk.

2009 PT Cruiser, 2008 Eclipse, 1995 Mark VIII, 1988 GMC Van

• au1994au1994 Posts: 765
    Best response yet! I suggested that when they start making the payments they can pick the color, but this takes it!!

2013 335i Sport Line Alpine White over Coral Red w/Black Trim

2005 330cic ZHP Monaco Blue over Natural Brown w/Black Trim

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,614
    i'm keeping it real! :)
    if they come out with another 'bullitt' edition, i might go for that, although i keep saying my mustang days are pretty much over.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,993

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,850
    White is cooler in the summer and easier to keep clean. Tan is probably the best for not showing the dirt. Black is for those with lots of time on their hands to keep it dusted. Black only looks good when it is spotless clean. Otherwise it is an ugly lack of color. Or is it all the colors combined. I don't know, flunked art class.
This discussion has been closed.