Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062

They actually collect the carbon in the exhaust and weigh it - each gallon of gas produces a specific amount of carbon when it burns. Liquid measurements are simply not accurate enough.

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181

@ivan_99 said:
    I suppose they're the scientists...so I skeptically nod in agreement...

Somehow I think they may know how to measure fuel consumption better than using a coffee cup and a calculator. I believe it was scientists that had to calculate the amount of fuel needed to get to the moon and back and that was 45 years ago so I think they can measure gas used by an automobile.

• The Jeep gave me about 15 mpg with the 4.7 liter V8, and the 5 speed automatic and Selec-Trac II 4x4. I loved it. The whole vehicle just drove fantastic, even at 12 years old. But that was the problem. It was 12 years old and it was expensive to maintain, and even with the snow this year I didn't need 4 wheel drive. If I lived out by Winchester VA or Frederick MD I would have bought another 4x4.

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681

@m6user said:

Yup, but if they measured the amount of fuel they'd need to go to the moon by measuring the exhaust gas of the rocket sitting on a rocket sled I'd still be skeptical; and probably worried if I was taking the trip.

I'm certain Bill Nye the science guy could explain it so I could understand. Though, regardless of the measuring scheme used, the EPA numbers are just supposed to be used in comparison to other automobiles.

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    edited March 2014

I'll agree that the numbers are best used for comparison. However, they are still supposed to be a realistic range for the "average" driver.....if there is one. I have an AWD 2013 RDX that is rated at 22mpg combined. My mpg since buying the vehicle 18 months ago is sitting at 24.2 mpg. That is mostly suburban Chicago area driving with maybe about 20% freeway driving. I've been able to get very close or better than EPA on every vehicle I've had for about the past 10 years and especially since the EPA revised their numbers to make them more realistic in 2008 I think it was. I don't race people at stoplights often but I'm hardly what one might call a sedate driver.

All things being equal, your fuel economy results relative to the EPA ratings should be fairly consistent. If you used to get 2 mpg better than EPA combined then you can reasonably expect the same on a new vehicle. However....... all things are no longer equal. Hybrids and small displacement direct injection turbos are much more sensitive to driving parameters and E-10 fuel and even temperature so the more you get away from the exact EPA test parameters the harder it is to get EPA results. New stricter emissions also have a negative effect especially on short drives.

EPA testing wasn't designed for buyers - they're done primarily for CAFE compliance and they have to be modified with a formula to come up with the window sticker ratings. I've often said they should publish a range instead of just 3 numbers, but the resulting range would be so big that it wouldn't be useful at all (15 - 34 mpg e.g.).

• So basically, if my car isn't sitting in a warehouse at 72 F running at 1700 RPM at a simulated 60 MPH then I will get 19 mpg instead of 40, and that is perfectly OK. No really, I get it. It isn't the manufacturers fault that I have ten stoplights to get one mile to the grocery store, all crammed with cars. I really will look into a hybrid next time. All I was thinking was that the car looks and drives great, and it should be good on gas. And it is. Just not as good as I expected.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Judging by this continuing trend, it's time for rear-seat Americans to join Heightwatchers.

@elroy5 said:
    It said the styling would be daring, with the roof swept back behind the driver for a sleek look even if it takes away rear head room. Looking around the web, there is general consensus that tne new 6 will be considerably bigger (for more rear leg room)

Maybe I am not understanding this, but it doesn't sound right. Tall people sitting in the back seat will have more leg room, and less head room. I guess they will have to slouch a lot huh? :confuse:

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,314

Yesterday at work a co worker stopped by my desk to ask me what kind of car I drive.
    He saw my car when I was leaving work, wasn't sure if it was me, thought the car looked great, and wasn't sure what it was.
    They are looking for an AWD sedan and the Fusion is on the list.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

What else is he looking at? Pretty soon he'll have 2 new options: the new 200 with AWD, and the new Legacy (if he can wait until fall).

@backy said:
    What else is he looking at? Pretty soon he'll have 2 new options: the new 200 with AWD, and the new Legacy (if he can wait until fall).

He doesn't like CVT's.

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738

@ahightower said:

The worst aspect is definitely its transmission. Six-speed auto with manu-matic gate. Seems promising and impressive for the price, but it is an absolute dog.

There is no substitute for mass.

Simply put, the problem with these high-revving gutless engines is that they have no torque. 250+ HP at 7000 rpm does no good if you're at 1500 rpm at a stoplight trying to get somewhere.

The 200 has a 9-speed honest-to-goodness automatic, not a CVT. And it's gorgeous--just saw it today.

@explorerx4 said:
    He doesn't like CVT's.

Saw the new 200 at the Greater Twin Cities Auto Show today. Unfortunately, it wasn't available for sitting in, but at least the doors were open so I got a good look inside. Really a sharp-looking car, if somewhat generic "modern mid-sized sedan" in profile. But if the reception it got at the show is any indication, Chrysler will have some trouble building interest in this car. While I was there, a beautiful blonde in a sleek black dress was standing beside the car, doing her pitch with a mic. The auto show was packed... so packed that even the Mitsubishi display was busy! Tons of people. I was the only person paying any attention to her presentation. I was focusing on the car... of course. ;) Afterwards, I told her it was too bad I was the only one listening because she did a good job. She told me the 200 would go on sale next month.

Not much else real new in the mid-sized class, but I sat in an Accord Sport with AT (every mid-sizer I sat in had a slushbox); wish Honda had paid the extra bucks to run power to the car (as several other makes did) so I could adjust the power seat. Nice car for $25k. Too many like-sized small buttons, but most mid-sizers suffer from that these days (Fusion Hybrid was the worst on that score). Sat in a Camry XLE Hybrid, and thought to myself that Toyota should be embarrassed at the interior design vs. some competitors at the same price. No new Sonata or Legacy on display, but not too surprised at that--Twin Cities show doesn't get debuts.

Frankly, the most impressive cars I saw were small cars: the new Fit (couldn't sit in it, but looks like a huge improvement), the new Golf (interior quality is Audi-esque, looks good outside also and base engine is the 1.8T), the Mazda3, and the Forte (the sedan, hatch, and Koup were all sharp cars). The Fiat 500 was pretty nice too, although trying too hard to be cute. And a little up the scale, the Audi A3 (couldn't sit in that one either), BMW 2 Series, and (surprisingly to me) the ATS. Of course also lots of great cars I can only dream about... Corvette StingRay, Jaguar F-Type, Porsche Cayman to name 3.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,537

the A3 was open in philly. It was nice. but gets quite pricey with a few options.

I agree about the Golf. very impressive. as is the mazda 3. not midsize of course (well, not these days). those 2 would be my short list right now if I needed to buy a new car (and wanted new) in the fall.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Oh, I agree about the 200. it was up on a turntable with the doors open. From what I could see from the distance, a vast improvement over the current model. Will definitely stop at the dealer (though I hate our local Chrysler/Dodge store) to scope one out in person.

• ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539

@fushigi said:
    like Honda is more interested in a higher profit margin than in giving the consumer a good deal.

These are not mutually exclusive. Just because a company profits from a very good product doesn't mean it's not also a good value for the buyer. In fact, it seems the worst products are often those which tend to offer the best "deals"... If by "deal" you mean lower price of entry and ignore quality, reliability, maintenance, and resale.

• ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539

@cski said:
    The only thing I know for sure is my own numbers under heavy congestion. I barely crack 20 mpg. I live 13 miles from the Pentagon. My average speed from my last fill-up was 22 mph, and my average trip is 4.4 miles. My trip computer when I parked last night indicated 19.7 MPG on a car rated at 24/35. Not good.

I suspect that poor mpg has more to do with the short trip than the temp or the traffic. It just hasn't much time to warm up. At any rate, with a commute that short, I envy you, and probably would have just gotten a pickup!

Engines today have to run rich at higher RPM when cold to kickstart the emissions systems. If you only drive a few miles at a time your mileage will be terrible - even worse with a hybrid.

• backy said:
    Frankly, the most impressive cars I saw were small cars: the new Fit (couldn't sit in it, but looks like a huge improvement), the new Golf (interior quality is Audi-esque, looks good outside also and base engine is the 1.8T), the Mazda3, and the Forte (the sedan, hatch, and Koup were all sharp cars). The Fiat 500 was pretty nice too, although trying too hard to be cute. And a little up the scale, the Audi A3 (couldn't sit in that one either), BMW 2 Series, and (surprisingly to me) the ATS. Of course also lots of great cars I can only dream about... Corvette StingRay, Jaguar F-Type, Porsche Cayman to name 3.

I would get the A3/Golf GTI in a heartbeat if I was smaller and had no kids. I have always wanted an A6 as well. I agree that the Mazda 3 is great looking, and my neighbor just bought one (sedan) and I thought it was the 6 until I got close. Nice car that transcends it's class. Mazda is serious about their trade. Go Mazda!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2014

I ordered a car cover from eBay. Three layer with a soft interior and waterproof but breathable exterior. $32.00. Barely fits over the front end, but is cut too big in the back. Overall though, it looks fine.

Overall, a darn nice cover for $32. No more wasted time and energy washing off pollen for 3 months!!!

• I got the car cover to fit pretty good.. The mirrors had to be folded back to get it to fully cover the front end like it should..Here are some pcis, and the link on eBay. Note that this cover is made for mid size sedans, not just the Optima, and my car has a very long hood and stubby trunk, where other mid size sedans are more evenly proportioned and should have no problem fitting well.
    Spring pollen season is coming fast, and here it rains pollen for three solid months. I for one am tired of washing the car just for pollen buildup, as it can very easily scratch your paint. $32. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261390064855?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

With the weather warming up a bit, my mileage has jumped up from 24 to 26. It looks like it's still going to be a while before it warms up for any length of time.
    Trees are starting to bud, though.

edited March 2014

Spring comes more quickly here. Temperatures fluctuate wildly for the next 30 days. Today was 70 degrees. Thursday will be 25 for a high. Saturday it's back to 70. I wonder when we get ethanol-free fuel again.

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,150

@cski said:
    I got the car cover to fit pretty good.. The mirrors had to be folded back to get it to fully cover the front I for one am tired of washing the car just for pollen buildup, as it can very easily scratch your paint. $32. \

Where do you put the cover when you take it off your car?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459

@ahightower said:
    These are not mutually exclusive. Just because a company profits from a very good product doesn't mean it's not also a good value for the buyer. In fact, it seems the worst products are often those which tend to offer the best "deals"... If by "deal" you mean lower price of entry and ignore quality, reliability, maintenance, and resale.

My comment was in reply to benjaminh's words on Honda, which were basically that offering fewer options leads to reduced manufacturing costs which in turn leads to higher consumer prices. IDK why benjaminh followed that up with another Accord review instead of addressing my issue (lower costs leading to higher prices).

Whether Honda's are a good value or not is beside the point.

2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676

What he meant was that fewer variations and thus lower production costs allow Honda to put features as standard that are usually found on more expensive cars, like a backup camera and better quality components. That doesn't mean the cars cost less, but that they have more content relative to price.

'14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469

@cski said:
    Spring comes more quickly here. Temperatures fluctuate wildly for the next 30 days. Today was 70 degrees. Thursday will be 25 for a high. Saturday it's back to 70. I wonder when we get ethanol-free fuel again.

We also have just a little bit of fluctuation in SD. It was 70 here on Sunday and the previous weekend the high was -6. Strangely exactly one year prior to the day that was -6 for the high we had a record high of 80. Same day, 86 degree difference in highs.

Love it when people ask what they should wear when they come to visit - who knows.

• Man Dudley, 86 degree temp difference IS a big swing in 24 hours.

To imidazol97, when I am not using it I put it in the basement storage room., after shaking (or washing) it off. Actually, washing it off quickly is a good idea. That way pollen will not build up on the outside. Mind you, I am not using it daily year round, Just when I really don't want a pollenmobile. After June the pollen is done.

edited March 2014

I had a chance to chat up my neighbor who just bought a Mazda 3 (2.5 liter GT with 18" wheels). It has an amazing quality interior for a compact car. I can see that they are going to sell a lot of them. It has an I-drive type setup, just like the Mazda6, and very similar to BMW. (which actually is called I-Drive).

I am willing to bet that if someone was blindfolded and placed in the drivers seat, he or she would have a very hard time distinguishing it as a compact, or anything costing less than $30,000. He said he paid $27k, including everything.

But if someone were blindfolded and sat in the back seat, they'd have NO trouble telling the Mazda3 is a compact! ;)

I went back to the auto show today, one day wasn't enough. I was by myself this time so I could spend as much time as I wanted on a car. One of my missions was to come up with a short list for my next car, and my wife's next vehicle (she doesn't like shopping for cars, delegates that to me with veto power).

Somewhat to my surprise, there isn't a single mid-sized sedan (by traditional definition) on either list. Not so much a surprise for me, as I prefer small cars, especially hatchbacks, so my list has 4 small hatchbacks on it. But my wife has driven several mid-sizers and has a Sonata now. I am thinking for her next vehicle, it should either be a small SUV like the Forester, CR-V, or CX-5 (for ease of entry/exit and versatility as well as AWD) or a small, somewhat tall compact sedan with mid-sized interior room, e.g. Corolla or Sentra. Or a small but tall hatch like the Soul. I was really impressed by the rear-seat leg room in those small cars--more than in some mid-sized sedans. Decent-sized trunks also. And they'd be easier to park. And less expensive to buy. Although some mid-sizers can be had for a great discount these days. Case in point: saw a sign-and-drive 3-year lease on a 2014 Sonata GLS in my local paper today for $199/month. I think that's about the lowest sign-and-drive 3-year lease I've seen advertised in recent memory on a mid-sized car.

@backy
    I had a Focus I really liked, but it got no respect on the road. People would see it was small and pull out right in front of me. That's a big reason I went to a mid size.

I'm sure I don't get much respect on the road in my little Rio5, but I'm not going to let other people dictate what kind of car I drive.

edited March 2014

backy said: But if someone were blindfolded and sat in the back seat, they'd have NO trouble telling the Mazda3 is a compact! ;)

I didn't even look in the backy! Seriously though, I did read a compact comparo in Motortrend that picked the Jetta as the back seat space winner. (the TDI won the comparo )

BTW, on the next car for your wife topic, I think the CX-5 won quite a few comparo' s. I think it looks great too, and the 2.0 liter is good on gas, although a bit small for a CUV. The 2.5 would be perfect.

Yeah, the Jetta has a very roomy back seat and trunk also, it's just kinda pricey. For the same price as a decently-equipped Jetta I could get a Forester 2.5i, which I think would work a lot better for my wife. The CX-5 looks great but I'm concerned about review comments re firm ride and road noise. Thus I think the Forester or CR-V would be a better fit for her. She doesn't care about crisp handling or lots of power. Which is why I'm thinking a small sedan or hatch (e.g. Soul) with a roomy interior might work just fine for her.

But maybe when it's time to turn in her Sonata off lease late next year, the Hyundai dealer will offer us an incredible year-end closeout deal on the all-new 2015 Sonata, which looks quite sharp from pics I've seen, and we'll jump on it. Too early to tell; so many good choices out there. I've had short lists in the past that I've tossed out the window because of a specific opportunity, e.g. the 2005 Mazda6i hatch I got this summer wasn't on my short list at the time, but I've always loved that design and when I found a great deal on a sample in great condition, I jumped on it.

edited March 2014

To backy: The Soul has good reviews. It recently beat the Fit 500L in a head to head comparo. They recommended the 2.0 liter engine with 160 HP vs. the 1.6 with 130hp for the size of the vehicle. (C/D February 2014 issue, page 39)

Believe it or not that Jetta TDI (value edition) cost $23,850. That was price AS TESTED. Not just the base price. That includes heated seats, alloys, and a six speed manual, but the 7 speed auto is a $900 option. (December 2013 issue page 71).

Lastly, the Subaru Forester was the Motortrend SUV of the year. There is a big 12 SUV comparo, also in the December 2013 issue, page 88. They liked both the base 170 HP model and the 250 HP turbo XT. $24,320/$28,820.

edited March 2014

Do you guys remember arguing over the most iconic Honda Accord? Whether it was the 4th gen (1990 -1993) or the fifth gen (1994-1997). Well, Car and Driver printed my view in backfires, page 10, current issue. (April '14). It is fun seeing your name in print!

Good for you! Despite the fact it was the 3rd gen. ;)

edited March 2014

I liked the third gen. too. The '89 had the pop-up headlights, right? Here is the backfires letter.

The history behind being shocked is because when most people my age think of an Accord, it is that one...or the third gen which is very close to the fourth. The 5th gen was the "Jelly bean" look, when the industry started making everything round, and the hot color was green industry wide.

I remember reading that letter. Just did not know it was you!

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,232

@stickguy said:
    I remember reading that letter. Just did not know it was you!

Me, too! Nice!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Thank you guys.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

your posts will have more authority here now that you're a published author! :)

• I already post too much! Seriously though I really think guys like backy, benjaminh, m6user, each are experts in their own ways, and their comments carry a lot of weight with me. I wouldn't consider buying a car w/o consulting them, and researching Edmunds expert reviews as well before buying.

edited March 2014

Tried to post a link to a picture I got a caption for in Autoweek back in 1999.

Just search for 'Flying Mercedes' to see a picture.
    There is also a Viper in the frame.
    This was after the Daimler take over of Chrysler and my comment was tied to the two.

Thanks stickguy, I had the http:// twice.
    mulsannescorner.com/benzCLR1.html

trying to post a picture? if so, make sure you don't duplicate the HTTP

• @explorerx4 said:
    Tried to post a link to a picture I got a caption for in Autoweek back in 1999.

Just search for 'Flying Mercedes' to see a picture.

I remember these pictures being in all the major mags. Then, the Viper driver, ever a professional, kept right on going seemingly w/o losing concentration. Awesome.

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469

@backy said:
    Good for you! Despite the fact it was the 3rd gen. ;)

Definitely the 3rd gen. Pop up lights - yes. The 4th gen had more room and was a great all around car, but the third gen was the last time when Honda was head and shoulders above everybody else in looks and performance. Love the large greenhouse of the older Accords. They sure did have some funky interior colors back then.

edited March 2014

My first serious girlfriend's parents drove all the way out to Leesburg (30 miles) to get an '89 3rd gen EX with the sunroof in the beige/tan color. It was slick inside. The needles did it for me. On the gauges. So long, thin and elegant, just like the car. A four door Prelude. However, there more made of the fourth generation, and there are a great deal of them still on the road. When 'Honda Accord" pops in my head, the 4th gen is the minds-eye picture I imagine.