Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373

All these new for 2015 models coming out mean one thing, fire sale prices and super cheap lease deals on 2014 leftovers which will most likely be on the lot when I'm ready to pull the trigger over labor day weekend:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311

@cski, I was only referring to the look, not the specs.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024

I agree that the new Sonata looks like a very large step backwards. I do not like the current model but it seems Hyundai has overreacted to criticism of the extra-swoopy styling by going conservative like they used to be. As for the reduced HP, I suspect it is more a matter of their marketing dept getting reined in and being forced to be honest instead of exaggerating their numbers, as Hyundai has been notorious for doing.

That MT article is a joke - sounds like a press release or an apologist's defense of some very questionable decisions.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited April 2014

In terms of looks, it seems like the new Sonata has gone from radical/strange to boring/strange. Fish mouth to bad Fusion clone? I don't like either one that much, but the old one looks better to me. In terms of power and mpg there doesn't seem to be any big improvement. Maybe the interior is a step up?

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited April 2014

I like the new Camry's interior better, but the new front grill seems strange and overwrought. With some of these new cars, you almost want to say: "Close your mouth!"

I'd still say the best looking midsize cars are the Mazda6, Fusion, Optima, and Accord.

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949

@benjaminh said:
    In terms of looks, it seems like the new Sonata has gone from radical/strange to boring/strange.

And this is coming from someone who loves the Accord? Now THAT'S "strange".

Hyundai took a lot of flak for its out-there styling on the 2011 Sonata, and the related low greenhouse. So they've sharpened its creases, opened up the greenhouse (with better rear-seat access, from reviews), de-cluttered the interior, and from looks of it made a lot of improvements in ride & drive, safety, and convenience.

At least one review I read compares the looks of the Sonata, A-pillar back, to an A4. Which is interesting because Audi was the inspiration for the styling of the 2006-10 generation--a "boring" styling job, but one that's held up well over time IMO. I'm not crazy about the new grille, but that's on the upmarket trim. I haven't seen a pic of the base Sonata yet. At least the Sonata's grille is smaller than the humongous mouth on the new Genesis. Now that's one ugly face, IMO.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2014

@benjaminh said:
    In terms of looks, it seems like the new Sonata has gone from radical/strange to boring/strange. Fish mouth to bad Fusion clone? I don't like either one that much, but the old one looks better to me. In terms of power and mpg there doesn't seem to be any big improvement. Maybe the interior is a step up?

Yes, it is like, plastic in the front. I know they are going for modern and "crisp" styling, but man, I think Hyundai was very very worried about the Fusion, so they tried to make the Sonata grill stick out more.. It's a mess frankly. Really. The more I look at the Sonata the more I dislike it.

I do like he black and white Camry picture. They at least made the stolen Audi eyeliner and the IS-250 F sport grill work together.

Maybe it should be called an Audry SE-F-Sport A6

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681

I love the look of the new Sonata.

The, now prev gen, looked amazing when first released but began to look dated quickly (for me anyway...).

I find the creased style more appealing than swoopy/bulbous style. I don't find any of the latest mid-size styles appalling...they range from non-offensive to pretty-nice...

edited April 2014

Do you guys know how to delete a post?

• @rbirns1 said:
    cski, I was only referring to the look, not the specs.

Oh, I know. I just got carried away. I wasn't directing the entire post at you, just the one line. Really sorry!

edited April 2014

Well, since no one was talking I looked around for more 2015 models, and wallah, here is the 2015 Volkswagen Passat. Looks like they put the current model on a tension-test machine and just stretched it. Anything is better than the breadbox express featured at dealers today.

It's funny how fickle the world is on these things, including myself. It looks pretty much the same as the current model. Has a bit if CC in it.

Here is the new 2015 Altima Hybrid:

Enjoy.

At least the Passat won't resemble an old Impala any more. Now it will look just like Every Other Mid-Sized Sedan with a Hofmesiter Kink. The tail is pretty nice, even if nothing special. But as Toyota found, flash doesn't sell tons of mid-sized sedans. Keep the interior nice and roomy and put the new high-mpg gas powertrain in the Passat (along with the turbodiesel), and it should sell just fine.

• Resembling an old impala was funny. I hated that car. There was nothing about it I found remotely interesting. Funny how 15 years later that I think the new Impala is beautiful. The black LTZ with dark tan Interior at the auto show attracted men like flies.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,250
    edited April 2014

To me, the Passat looked like a tri 9 Caprice.
    Now the back looks like a Buick Lucerne. I guess that's moving upscale.
    I think the new Impala looks a lot like a Sonata from the back.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

Nice clean lines on the new 2015 Passat... I like how the back end looks.............. Big improvement. I would need to see it in person to get the full effect of the redesign. Looks like a swing and miss inside the car thou.. Has that cheap looking Ford dash and interior from years ago.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

@brian125,
    If you are looking at the interior picture below the Passat, that is the Altima interior.
    A little thin chrome trim in a few places would improve the look a lot.

edited April 2014

@explorerx4 said:
    brian125,
    If you are looking at the interior picture below the Passat, that is the Altima interior.
    A little thin chrome trim in a few places would improve the look a lot.

!
    I should have separated the Altima pictures better. VW would never have an interior like the Altima. I think the center stack knobs look cheap, but other than that it looks good 2B honest.

Sometimes pictures do no justice

• ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539

Agreed the picture is not flattering. I remember really liking the interior of the Altima (SL) at the auto show. Good materials, good leg room. Liked it enough to test drive one. The SV which was in my price range was significantly less appealing, primarily because the cloth upholstery was so chintzy.

• ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539

Also got a good tour of my sister's boyfriend's Camry SE over the weekend. The leather was nice, but almost all other materials felt relatively cheap. Made me appreciate the texture and heft of the knobs and buttons in my Accord. The touch screen had decent graphics but was small and lacked some functions. The previous-gen Camry is just that - previous gen. Perhaps the new one will catch up in all the little details that give a more premium feel.

• plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738

Don't count on it. With the ever-decreasing value of the dollar, and intense price competition by the makers, they are cutting corners in every way that they can find. I've found that the beauty is only skin deep with many new cars. It's beautiful, but quite literally it's very thin and lightweight. I don't expect most of them to have their interiors, accessories, switchgear last even a decade of normal use.

• ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    edited April 2014

I don't understand the Camry dissing I see. I don't think the current gen is a bad looking car. I kinda like it. Not sure what the allure is of cars with huge grills like the Fusion (and the 2015 Camry). What makes the Accord more attractive than the Camry? I drove the Accord and they can't get the Blind Spot Monitoring right-- couldn't they just have lights on the side mirrors that light up, like most cars? Plus the radio doesn't compare with the Camry. I'm not knocking these other cars-- the Accord and Fusion I am sure are really nice cars, and if you like the looks, great. I think the Mazda 6 is the most attractive of all. Any way, I sure do read non-Camry owners knocking the looks of the current Camry, and I kind of like it, especially in that Cypress Pearl color. .

I like the exterior of the current Camry (as pictured above) better than the looks of that update for 2015. The current car is at least non-offensive. It's the interior that isn't competitive, IMO.

I agree the Mazda6 is the best-looking mid-sized car right now. I like the Optima also, and the Accord and Fusion are pretty nice also. I need to see the new Sonata in person and in some color other than that garish orange; I don't think that's the best color for that car.

edited April 2014

Unfortunately we are a fickle bunch, and so is the American consumer. There isn't anything wrong with the outside of the Camry; it's just that it doesn't aspire to be anything more. More to the point it's the inside. It looks like it was put together by committee. The fake soft touch aluminum (I didn't even know that WAS a material) can be dented and scratched off with your fingernail, the giant slab of fake wood around the shifter is not exactly cutting edge, and the seat material wouldn't be out of place in a Boeing product. When most of the competition reached for more, Toyota just didn't. I am sure it will be as reliable as a Frigidaire, but it just doesn't make me want to go down and buy one.

I also very much agree with you on the giant grill issue. I am not into it either.

Still glad I bought the 2012 Optima EX. No huge grill, nice looks, great inside materials, long warranty, slick 200 hp / 6 speed auto, and a very reasonable sticker. Add the eye candy like dual pipes, fog lights, and nice looking 17" alloys, and I would write the check today just as I did two years ago.

I agree with backy on the 2015 Camry styling. I would stick with the 2014 SE ( or the SE V6 w/268HP) if I was to buy a Camry today.

edited April 2014

How about the GM news today. The hits just keep on comming for this company.. GM is being investigated for its new braking system failure on the Impala's.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating a report that the 2014 Chevy Impala's emergency braking system activated multiple times without warning. A driver says that in one instance, the Impala was traveling 40 miles-per-hour when the brakes activated. The car was struck in the rear by another vehicle. No injuries were reported. Federal regulators are trying to determine if the alleged defect is widespread.

The investigation is not related to GM's recent recall of 2,600,000 older model Chevrolet and other cars for defective ignition switches. An estimated 60,580 Impalas of the 2014 model year are on U.S. roads.

edited April 2014

The front of the 2015 Camry gets a incomplete from me with that bottom grille. Awful look.. What were they thinking. I could live with the look of the new Avalon front. Not this Camry.

Sorry Camry!! You had a chance to step up to the big boys table... but slipped in the bathroom in the looks dept.

A much better look would of been solid bumper all around the bottom .

• ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681

@ral2167 said:
    I don't understand the Camry dissing I see. I don't think the current gen is a bad looking car. I kinda like it. Not sure what the allure is of cars with huge grills like the Fusion (and the 2015 Camry). What makes the Accord more attractive than the Camry? I drove the Accord and they can't get the Blind Spot Monitoring right-- couldn't they just have lights on the side mirrors that light up, like most cars? Plus the radio doesn't compare with the Camry. I'm not knocking these other cars-- the Accord and Fusion I am sure are really nice cars, and if you like the looks, great. I think the Mazda 6 is the most attractive of all. Any way, I sure do read non-Camry owners knocking the looks of the current Camry, and I kind of like it, especially in that Cypress Pearl color. .

Maybe the criticism is more vocal. I think the current one is fine. I like a few other designs more...but not by much.

The rear end of the current one irks me...can't stand the rear lights. To me it looks like they took that theme and applied it to the front of the new design. It seems like somebody with limited design experience attempted to make something look cool (like something i'd do...)

But as you pointed out, there are many other qualities that make up vehicle. Fusion is my champ for design...but I could be persuaded into another when significant $'s are at stake.

edited April 2014

Ivan,...see I disagree..... I find the front of the Fusion just as bad as this Camry. I like the inside of the Fusion. I would never buy the ford nor the camry. I liked the 2011 style Sonata. the New style I hate. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. Not that i think my Accord is much better in the looks dept. I like the look of my V-6 Accord in the front, but not so much the back.

• I just this very minute came in from driving around the block in a rental Fusion Hybrid. My neighbs's rented it to go to Niagara Falls. Aside from the personal choice of the grill, the only problem I have with the interior is the materials around the MFT/SYNC. The touch controls worked fine. There was no appreciative lag between touch and response.(It is a Feb 2014 build) It just doesn't have any indentation on where to touch, which means that you have to look down every time you change a function (or do it on the wheel). The materials are actually REALLY good everywhere but that one center stack area. It is weird driving with no sound whatsoever. My first hybrid trip. Anyway, that's about it.

Exterior-wise the Accord is the most mature and balanced, but the interior in a big letdown.
    Camry looks like it was designed to be as cheap as possible, but had some glitz added as an afterthought to try to dress it up.
    Like most people, I think the front of the Fusion looks great, although I wish the grille was an argent color to more closely match the wheels and the interior is very well done.

edited April 2014

Speaking of well done interiors, I love the new 200. Very pretty. Modern. They integrated the corporate 8.4" touchscreen nicely, and to me is just beautiful. Now scroll up and look at the Altima's insides. Yuk.

I'll have to actually see it, but I don't really like that wood squid arm over the center screen. :p

I don't know who decided it was a good idea to have light-colored material on a steering wheel. It will just get dirty, and it's a distraction. What's wrong with good 'ol black or dark grey? My wife's Sonata has a two-tone wheel, black with tan, not as light as the insert in the 200's wheel, and it shows every bit of grime.

The wood "squid arm" I can live with just fine... the wood actually wraps around the top of the center stack, and it's not that glossy crap.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165

Personally, I'm kind of tired of black - inside and outside. But I suppose I'm in the minority out there.

Anything is preferable to a black interior IMO.

• @explorerx4 said:
    I'll have to actually see it, but I don't really like that wood squid arm over the center screen. :p

LMAO. Once you see the squid arm, you always see the squid arm. Thanks for ruining that for me...
    However, nothing beats having to see this every day:

In Chryslers defense it is actually real wood.

Backy, the steering wheel was mentioned in this months Motortrend as "New York style luxury". It doesn't bother me much color wise, but I do agree with your position on it getting dirty.

I'm fine with light-colored interiors. I like tan fine, and two of my cars have a tan interior. But the dash and steering wheel are black (except the tan insert on the Sonata), and I just think black is better there for less glare and not showing smudges (esp. on the wheel).

I'll bet the wood in that Benz is real, also. :)

edited April 2014

What a shame this interior is wasted in a chrysler. This interior with no kids would be fine and if your the type that is on top of cleaning cars often.

.> @cski said:

Speaking of well done interiors, I love the new 200. Very pretty. Modern. They integrated the corporate 8.4" touchscreen nicely, and to me is just beautiful. Now scroll up and look at the Altima's insides. Yuk.

• rbirns1rbirns1 Member Posts: 311

Squid arm. I like that.

• @rbirns1 said:
    Squid arm. I like that.

Squiddy loves his buddy screen, even though he's a little "touchy".....

• mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    edited April 2014

@backy said:
    I don't know who decided it was a good idea to have light-colored material on a steering wheel. It will just get dirty, and it's a distraction. What's wrong with good 'ol black or dark grey? My wife's Sonata has a two-tone wheel, black with tan, not as light as the insert in the 200's wheel, and it shows every bit of grime.

The wood "squid arm" I can live with just fine... the wood actually wraps around the top of the center stack, and it's not that glossy crap.

The whole interior looks inner city Ghetto to me. If I was hearing a loud door rattling bass with windows so tinted I couldn't see in them this is what I think the interior would look like. Or at least something that a 75 year old man would like. Not that I have anything against either.

2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • @mtnman1 said:
    The whole interior looks inner city Ghetto to me. If I was hearing a loud door rattling bass with windows so tinted I couldn't see in them this is what I think the interior would look like. Or at least something that a 75 year old man would like. Not that I have anything against either.

Please show us a picture of what you consider luxurious. Keep in mind there is a $30k cap,

The fact that that it's supposed to be "New York Luxury" has already been discussed.

edited April 2014

Best Car/suv Interiors Under $30,000

Buick Encore--
    Europeans have long set the standard for best car interiors. American automakers for years tried to mimic the robust yet clean lines of European vehicle but fall short.

VW Beetle, and Dodge Dart top of the line versions are really nice.

You can view at Autotrader.. google 5 best interiors dont know how to bring it over to this site.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

Here you go: 5 Best Interiors (or so says Autotrader):

http://bit.ly/1iltCgL

Love the interior in the VW.

I actually like the 200's interior. I just don't like white leather on the steering wheel--on ANY steering wheel. And I wouldn't choose white for an interior of my car. Now, replace the white with a camel/tan or light grey, and I think it would be very sharp--and more practical than with white.

And no, I don't have white carpeting or upholstery in my home, either. ;)

P.S. My fav interior of a low-bucks car (under $20k) has to be the 2015 Golf. Saw it at the auto show this winter and fell in love with it... excellent quality for the price. For just a little more, I think the Verano has a very nice interior. The newly-tweaked Regal has a nice interior also... getting back to mid-sized cars!

• dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469

That C30 interior is terrible. Too bad - the exterior is very nice.

• mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    edited April 2014

__Not sure what the allure is of cars with huge grills like the Fusion. _

ral2167 you kind of contradict your own statement when you say you don't understand the allure of cars with huge grills then state the Mazda6 is great looking. Talk about huge grills. I love the new Fusion and the Mazda6 looks pretty good as well. My favorite looking Mid Sized family Sedans are the Ford Fusion Titanium and the Optima SXL. I also love the Malibu LTZ. Just my opinions so to each his own. Isn't living in a country that still is somewhat free a great thing where we have choices.

2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE

@dudleyr said:
    That C30 interior is terrible. Too bad - the exterior is very nice.

I agree. I see many on the used lots here - not sure if they disappoint buyers after a time or if they have problems.

• @MrShift@Edmunds said:
    Here you go: 5 Best Interiors (or so says Autotrader):

http://bit.ly/1iltCgL

The Volvo C30 was terrible. A Chevy Cruze has better materials. Oh, dear god! A small Chevy with good materials! (I still loved my 87 Z24).