Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Midsize Sedans 2.0

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    cski said:

If it was a loaner 6 months ago I doubt it was a 2017. The 2017 LTZ Turbo model is specifically what I read two days ago the review about.

It was the new model they are advertising now. It wasn't an LTZ but rather a LT. The LTZ is the one I mentioned that would probably be better. But you are also at the top of the price range with one of them which brings all sorts of other very nice vehicles into contention.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2016
    Well, every Chevy product or platform spinoff has let me down in some way; So, it will be a cold day in he@# before I sign a purchase order. I have had fuel lines break and spark on the manifold....burned to the ground. No more Chevy's..Ever. (Except a new Corvette for free).
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,435
    I think I will likely be moving down to an actual mid size car next time. Not the Sonata, etc. that IMO is really a full size car at this point. Civic, Jetta, elantra now are actual mid size (that 182" length range). Just a nicer, tidier package.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    stickguy said:

I think I will likely be moving down to an actual mid size car next time. Not the Sonata, etc. that IMO is really a full size car at this point. Civic, Jetta, elantra now are actual mid size (that 182" length range). Just a nicer, tidier package.

+1
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    @cski said

We all have our likes and dislikes and different tastes, but the 2017 Chevy Malibu has that teen monitor system and I have 3 teenage girls getting ready to drive. I is ready now, 1 year from now, and 3 years from now. The only car I generally hate is the 2016 and below Altima 2.5 S or SE, or any other trim EXCEPT the 3.5 SEL. New Maxima is a hit...along with Murano.

If I had 3 girls just about driving age and 2 back to back years I'd probably be tossed with which direction to go in . Buy used vehicle for 1st daughter or cheap lease like a year end Camry , Altima, Encore for 159 / 169 a month.

How you looking to play this out ? Better Start preparing now.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

If I had 3 teenage daughters, I would probably move to a cabin in the woods and go off the grid entirely.

• Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,952
    Sat in a brand new Cruze LT yesterday as hertz got a boatload of them, and was impressed, very impressed. But if I were to purchase, it would have to be the LTZ hatch version as I love a hatch and the LTZ has the larger wheels/tires and all the goodies. Figure if I do go domestic, I want as many goodies as possible to make it worthwhile. Our last domestic was a Buick Skylark, 1980 vintage as I recall. It was the wife's, a gift from her folks, and it did everything right. A nice red over white with a white landau roof which looked outstanding after a good detail...a real in your face red.

The Sandman :)B)

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,084
    stickguy said:

If I had 3 teenage daughters, I would probably move to a cabin in the woods and go off the grid entirely.

Nah, I'd send them to the cabin.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    A reporter is working on a story about buggy infotainment systems

Just the other day I saw an article on the Ford infotainment mess in one of the Detroit papers. Very frustrated company leadership and evidently a class action suit. Supposedly "3" fixes it all on new cars.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    About Chevy's "new" teen driver system - Ford has had that for at least 5 years - maybe longer. It's called mykey and works the same way. I don't know why Ford stopped advertising it.
    That class action suit against Ford is nothing more than lawyers trying to get rich. The current software has been solid for the last 2+ years and they purged the bad hardware. They also extended the warranty on both the hardware and software. Ambulance chasers.........
    Ford has had its share of problems and recalls the past 6 years. The software problem akirky speaks about resulted in only 400k plus vehicles recalled mainly the Focus, C-max and Escapes. The problem has been corrected.

The other recent recall by Ford which resulted in a much higher recall over 600k units was a steering and warning light default/ Door sensor that effected the Edge and Focus. There's not one casualty with any of these recalls that I know about.

edited October 2016
    I was helping my golf buddy who I play with at Myrtle Beach shop for either 16,17 Edge or 2017 Sorento . Both vehicles are very close in ride and features top model . I was pleasantly surprised how good the Ford Edge drove. Fords V-6 turbo we test drove was fast , quite and handled better than the Sorento. The Edge is a much better buy then the upscale Lincoln MKX. Its cabin / console is tight for 6 plus guys . Ride is excellent and cabin and road noise is very quite. MKX stickered @52k for model we drove.

At that price mine as well step up to a Q5 if you don't mind not having all the upgraded Tech features ( cross traffic / braking system ) in most of these newer models. Q5 gets upgrade and fresh look for 17/ 18 model

We just bought a 2016 MKX over a Titanium Edge. We've owned Lincolns in the past but in the last several years we bought a Fusion, Edge and Escape instead of a MkZ, MKX or MKC because we didn't feel the upgrades were worth the extra cost. That's changed with the MKX. The standard MKX seats are so much more comfortable and the cabin is so much quieter. The Revel audio system is fantastic. And now you get free pickup and delivery on service. Not to mention the 360 degree camera and some other feature upgrades not available on the Edge. Ours stickered at $52K but we paid $48K. I think a similarly equipped Q5 would have been mid $50Ks at least.
    edited October 2016
    In my limited time on our test drive in the MKX. Very quite, Rode nice, Trans shifted effortless. My initial thoughts were the cabin is to contoured where the console and door panel obstructed me from getting comfortable. I'm 6'2. My wife's good friend has the 16 MKX and they love it. They came out of the 12, Lexus RX 350

I know this is off topic in here I'm a big SUV guy. I test drive most luxury Suv's. Any thoughts on these Suv's if you test drove.....................RX350, MDX, Q5 / S5, Mb Gle, X-5

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    brian125 said:

I know this is off topic in here I'm a big SUV guy. I test drive most luxury Suv's. Any thoughts on these Suv's if you test drove.....................RX350, MDX, Q5 / S5, Mb Gle, X-5

Consider the Infiniti lineup as well. I couldn't find a comfortable seating position in the MDX but really, really liked the QX60. And for '17 they bumped the HP to 295 w/no loss in economy. It's leading my list for next new car.

Is there a premium/luxury SUV thread? I also don't want to post off-topic.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    edited October 2016
    A SUV thread (premium / lux ) would be a good topic and forum. Most of my friends in the 60's to 75 age group say they like being up higher with larger windows and easy ingress / egress. Old geezers love the Subaru Forrester , Encores, CRV's, Rav4, Santa fe's. for reasons stated.

I was down in Gods graveyard FL. a couple of weeks ago playing Golf with friends. I cant believe how bad some of the elderly drive. If you have a nice car/ truck and park in a supermarket lot or mall your asking for trouble.

As far as the QX60 its big and roomie great for a big family. Its a good family hauler. A loaded model runs in the low 40's. QX60 ride is clumsy, feels to big . I'm not a fan of its CVT trans. Maybe the upgrade hp will help this model. The highlander is a bit smaller but I liked it a lot. It drove excellent.

MDX seating I did not like either. Resale value on the QX60 won't be good down the road.

@fushigi IM me we can exchange some more feed back on certain model SUV's

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yes, if you do a search under "luxury SUVs" you'll find quite a few topics in that general category. None that are particularly active though, except some one-off questions on leasing.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    brian125 said:

A SUV thread (premium / lux ) would be a good topic and forum. Most of my friends in the 60's to 75 age group say they like being up higher with larger windows and easy ingress / egress. Old geezers love the Subaru Forrester , Encores, CRV's, Rav4, Santa fe's. for reasons stated.

I was down in Gods graveyard FL. a couple of weeks ago playing Golf with friends. I cant believe how bad some of the elderly drive. If you have a nice car/ truck and park in a supermarket lot or mall your asking for trouble.

As far as the QX60 its big and roomie great for a big family. Its a good family hauler. A loaded model runs in the low 40's. QX60 ride is clumsy, feels to big . I'm not a fan of its CVT trans. Maybe the upgrade hp will help this model. The highlander is a bit smaller but I liked it a lot. It drove excellent.

MDX seating I did not like either. Resale value on the QX60 won't be good down the road.

@fushigi IM me we can exchange some more feed back on certain model SUV's

My father used to be a pretty good driver in his heyday. He was an excellent parker of vehicles, and was known for having a ton of skill even with parallel parking into a tight spot.

Nowadays, in his retirement years, his Lexus has parking lot snafu scuffs on every corner.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Drove a few Ford Foci this week at work and the auto tranny is awful, still with the new ones we have. The Fiesta's ain't much better. No one wants the Fusion due to it's power quitting on the highway with no warning. Have personally have had this happen to me three different times now on the Florida turnpike and it ain't funny anymore. As of now, no one wants to drive one or even rent one till a fix is done on all them. Same issue happened on two MKX's so again, Ford needs to fix this issue asap!
    Have noticed that the majority of people with take any other brand of vehicle except Ford, Mustang drop tops excluded. I guess enough folks have driven them with this stalling out issue or funky tranny that they will take anything else we have first. Trust me, until it happens to you, one thinks they're great vehicles but after it does happen, well...it stinks!

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    Rented a white 2014 Ford Fusion while interviewing for the Dodge City, KS, job in June of 2015. Thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Totally forgot about this stalling out on the road problem Ford's having with them. Talk about bad PR for Fo-Mo-Co!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Glad you didn't have the stalling issue, mighty scary the first time, scary the second time and downright mad on the 3rd. Haven't had a fourth yet, because I refuse to drive one that hasn't been fixed and a few of the other drivers won't either...they just ain't safe especially in expressway traffic. Can't always drive in the far right lane because one is waiting for the stalling to commence and in heavy traffic while in the other two lanes, could be hard getting over to the right shoulder. So, we just refuse to drive 'em until we know they'e been fixed. Suspect it's just a software glitch but Ford is very hush hush about this issue for some reason. Sad, very sad!

edited October 2016
    While this new CEO trained under Mullaly, got to think he is more old school Detroit or another Jacques Nasser with focus too broad. It seems FOMOCO has been going downhill since he took over. Kind of sad really.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I reserved a car for an end-of-year trip the other day. We have a CX-7 but it's a little tight in back for a 3,000 mile round trip with 4 adults, plus FE and ride aren't that good. My Forte5 would be a little tight also. Hertz had a great rate on a "full-sized" car and a location near me has Sonatas in their fleet, also Altimas etc, so I signed up. I asked them if they could reserve a Sonata for me, they said they couldn't but I hope I can get one. I'd prefer that car because of its combination of interior room, including tons of rear seat leg room, ride, and FE. We'll see. I think they also have Optimas and that would be OK also, but I prefer the airy-er feel of the Sonata.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    You might get something like an Impala too.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    I think the Impala is classified as premium or whatever Hertz calls the next step above full size. Malibu would be full size. But you never know, they might upgrade him.
    While this new CEO trained under Mullaly, got to think he is more old school Detroit or another Jacques Nasser with focus too broad. It seems FOMOCO has been going downhill since he took over. Kind of sad really.

Alan Mulally was a juggernaut as Boeing CEO while I worked there. Awesome CEO, actually. I have a lot of respect for him. Who's the CEO of Ford now? Jacques Nisser? Wild guess of mine! :p

Mark Fields. I believe he is basically a Ford lifer after an ivy league MBA.
    Mark Fields. I believe he is basically a Ford lifer after an ivy league MBA.

Ah. They're doing OK, but not real well. This Fusion problem needs solving fast. Really bad PR for them. Their trucks are always selling really well but the smaller Focus and Fiesta scare me to actually purchase, though. Kia has it over them in the small vehicle department. Kia does not produce a truck, though. Ford wins there.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,027
    The Ford DCT automatics are a disgrace. The fact that they have not fixed them after years of being in production is criminal.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

Business wise Ford is still doing great, but they're moving slowly on new products and platforms and having way too many problems with bad supplier parts and poor engineering and assembly issues. They need to refocus on quality as job 1.
    edited October 2016
    ab348 said:

The Ford DCT automatics are a disgrace. The fact that they have not fixed them after years of being in production is criminal.

I had one Ford dealer tell me they never had DCT Focus ST's. Basically denied they ever existed. I could be wrong, but I remember reading about it. Perhaps for that dealer, they make sure they only order either manual or regular automatic transmissions. For the Focus ST it meant they only had manual models when I checked.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    andres3 said:

ab348 said:

I had one Ford dealer tell me they never had DCT Focus ST's. Basically denied they ever existed. I could be wrong, but I remember reading about it.
    The dealer is right and you're wrong. Focus ST is manual only.
    Also - the DCT trans could not handle that much power even if they wanted to offer it.
    akirby said:

Also - the DCT trans could not handle that much power even if they wanted to offer it.

Okay, so which Ford models did suffer a DCT transmission option? Which ones still do?
  • MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,084
    andres3 said:

akirby said:

Okay, so which Ford models did suffer a DCT transmission option? Which ones still do?
    The "regular" Focus and Fiesta both have the DCT.

The ST trim levels of both are manual-only.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    akirby said:

andres3 said:

ab348 said:

I had one Ford dealer tell me they never had DCT Focus ST's. Basically denied they ever existed. I could be wrong, but I remember reading about it.
    The dealer is right and you're wrong. Focus ST is manual only.
    That would be a first

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

A problem with Mustang drop tops now, some sort of recall issue. Hertz Car Sales can't sell them right now due to this issue. First the crappy auto tranny's on their small vehicles, then the stalling out issue on their mid sized vehicles and now this Mustang issue. Would never ever buy any Ford product at this juncture...and probably never because nothing they sell appeals to me. Driving for Hertz, I get to try most vehicles out there and the most asked for vehicles now are the foreign makes, they just seem to hold up better for some reason no matter where they are built.

A problem with Mustang drop tops now, some sort of recall issue. Hertz Car Sales can't sell them right now due to this issue. First the crappy auto tranny's on their small vehicles, then the stalling out issue on their mid sized vehicles and now this Mustang issue. Would never ever buy any Ford product at this juncture...and probably never because nothing they sell appeals to me. Driving for Hertz, I get to try most vehicles out there and the most asked for vehicles now are the foreign makes, they just seem to hold up better for some reason no matter where they are built.

Good engineering and design goes a long way. Good enough to go 55 MPH won't cut it for cars designed to go on the Autobahn.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    I've now owned my 2016 Accord EX for a few months, and I'm still discovering new features. For instance, it has "HondaLink," which I was skeptical about, but it actually works great. Basically you have buttons on your roof console that you can program, near your map lights and hidden dark-glasses container. I have to admit that my 20-year old son helped me program it, but it wasn't that difficult. Anyway, now I have a built-in garage door opener in my car. Not exactly a necessary feature, but still nice.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    that is Homelink, not Hondalink. Generic name, so Honda can't claim it as their own!

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    suydam said:

You might get something like an Impala too.

Nah, the local Hertz outlet had a great rate for "full size" like Sonata, Altima, and Malibu, about $26 a day with all fees and taxes, and a Sonata in particular will be plenty big for our needs. I've been in the Sonata and the back seat is limo-like. I expect it will also get better FE than an Impala, based on the EPA ratings and my experience with a 2013 Sonata, which got 35 mpg overall on a similar trip two years ago. The Altima and Malibu would probably work fine also, but I've not driven those before so I'd rather stick with what I know.
    Homelink has been available for at least 17 years, probably longer. I know I had it on the visor of my Lincoln LS built in 1999.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    Ever since I traded my Fusion on my wife's new MKC, I've had an empty garage bay.
    Since then I've been filling up with stuff. Guess I'll have to clean it out now.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    edited October 2016
    This is why I cleaned out the garage.

Basement getting full Explorer B)
    edited October 2016
    @berri,
    All that stuff I was accumulating in the garage had to move to the shed.
    I have one built into the walkout basement, so you are correct!
    Well, it is cheaper and safer than those storage rental places!
    Speaking of storage rentals, a 5 x 5 closet is $50/month and a 10 x 10 room is $100/month. What are the rates outside of CA? I'd imagine cheaper.
    that seems to be in the range. I just checked by me in NJ, and one place is more than that ($62/$167)/ I thought it was less, but that was only one place. so your rates look good.